Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOHN 3:7 needs a Hill 16 ticket for Sunday

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

agreed
    religion, policital views etc should not be promoted via the GAA

yea because the gaa were never influenced or part of religious or political affairs.never ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

****e talk.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

A full house in Croker with criminals, gay people, wife beaters, drug users, cancer survivors ordinary next door neighbours types and an oddball with a placard...just a snapshot of the fabric of life. How this thread got to 6 pages in a GAA forum is beyond me. Did he get s ticket btw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PGT

Not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Made my sunday morning, funniest thread for a while. Now I have to watch TV to see did he get a ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

He's not a Catholic.

Oh, is that true or just a viewpoint that he cannot be a catholic if he isn't 'a nice person' ??

BTW, what is the John whatever actual text?

BTW 2 What sort of security is there in Croker that lets him in with a dangerous piece of material?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭jaykay74

PGT wrote: »
    Not yet

Maybe its a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PGT

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Maybe its a sign.
    A sign that tickets are like hens teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BarryM wrote: »

Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Can someone bring an Allah Akbar sign in.

If you allow one religious promotion, surely have to allow all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh, is that true or just a viewpoint that he cannot be a catholic if he isn't 'a nice person' ??

BTW 2 What sort of security is there in Croker that lets him in with a dangerous piece of material?

I'd guess he is more than likely not a Catholic

Evangelicals like him who go around quoting scripture and such are usually not the obedient mass going Catholics types who follow what come from Rome, they tend to be more independent
    I think it has a lot to do with the way the Catholic church discouraged it's followers from reading the bible as they were afraid they would make their own mind about things
    A big part of the reformation was resistance to the translation of the bible.
    Followers of the reformed churches tend to know scripture better than Catholics, thus I reckon he is not a Catholic, he may have been at one point, but is no longer.

Dublin by 6 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

If he doesn't manage to get a ticket - could all those occupying hill 16 on the day take off one shoe and wave it in the air as a replacement `sign` - while singing `always look on the bright side of life........`

Now that would make for an unforgettable YouTube clip :D:D

IT`S A SIGN

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cyril Kavanagh is the sombrero fella, a real sound Corkonian and a true GAA man, nice chap and good banter when Cork and Kerry meet!
    I find this Cyril is a great cork GAA man an annoying one. I have never seen him at a league, club or underage game (what club is he anyways?), and he only turns up for the big days. In 08 I think it was cork played Kildare and Kilkenny in a football and hurling double in croker. Cyril marched in with 5 minutes left in the football banging his drum, showing no respect to the footballers he had is quite happy to jump on the bandwagon of when doing well. I believe that was the year he took the mic from canty to sing the banks in the pairc after we beat Kerry. Infuriating that this guy is considered corks best fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I find this Cyril is a great cork GAA man an annoying one. I have never seen him at a league, club or underage game (what club is he anyways?), and he only turns up for the big days. In 08 I think it was cork played Kildare and Kilkenny in a football and hurling double in croker. Cyril marched in with 5 minutes left in the football banging his drum, showing no respect to the footballers he had is quite happy to jump on the bandwagon of when doing well. I believe that was the year he took the mic from canty to sing the banks in the pairc after we beat Kerry. Infuriating that this guy is considered corks best fan.

I know a good few Cork lads and they would all echo with the above. An absolute bandwagoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Prop Joe wrote: »
    so its totally acceptable to shun this man on his religious beliefs alone? If he was an atheist and getting the same treatment there would be uproar? Kicking practising catholics seems to be an acceptable pastime.

Who's talking about shunning him or kicking him? This thread is about should some nut job get a ticket to a sold out game of football, based presumably on the fact that he holds up a religious sign at games? That's all. No is saying the man should be stoned. I say no, he shouldn't get one. No one is "entitled" to a ticket, no matter who they are or what they do. It's up to him to get himself his own ticket and if he can't, then he can sod right off.

I'd be very happy if he never got another ticket to another game, or if he did, his sign was taken off him by Croke Park stewards. For one thing, the people sitting in the seats beside him would have a very uncomfortable time of it with that big yoke being waved about. That is not fair on them.

Religion & sport should be kept as far apart as possible imo. The GAA and the Catholic Church were joined at the hip once upon a time. We all know that, but times have moved on now. If he wants to spout his religious views, let him go and do so at a church & leave Croke Park & GAA fans well enough alone. How would he feel if people went to his church and stood there waving around flags and banners (or even better :D ) "Pat Spillane is a bollix" signs? He wouldn't like it one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

I'd say the GAA Commercial Manager would have a problem if he had a sign promoting Sky Sports or AIG insurance.

Bottom line, this is ambush marketing, albeit on a small scale.

Should be banned - not for religious reasons - but because if the same principle is applied elsewhere it would be damaging to the GAA and advertisers/sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It looks like he got sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Great seat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭kksaints

What I never got was that he is often allowed in stands behind the goal, when the rest of the stand is closed and he is the only person in it? I thought it cost money to open up stands for very small amounts of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Great, am delighted for the man.

Can someone have the decency to close this train wreck of a thread.

It has fúck all to do with GAA at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

STB wrote: »
    Great, am delighted for the man.

Can someone have the decency to close this train wreck of a thread.

It has fúck all to do with GAA at this stage.

Who ever thought it anything to do with the GAA in the first place, apart from yerself?

If you don't like the thread why read it??

Your a closet religious, I suspect :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

He's an evangelical born-again Christian. Such people are not Catholics. I'm just stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did he get in ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did he get in ?
    Did you watch the match?

He did.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

John 3:7 Dublin 3:18

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The match is over so I don't see the need for this thread to stay open anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement