Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOHN 3:7 needs a Hill 16 ticket for Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Nothing for or against the man, but its strange to see him being tolerated by the GAA to broadcast his views. If he had a banner with say coca cola would he be tolerated, or say emirates airlines during a hurling game

As an atheist, I'm going to bring along a sign saying "God Does Not Exist" and stand behind the goal at high profile matches from now on just to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

c_man wrote: »
    I agree with the statement, but it's hardly GAA endorse. It's one guy. Should we ban Confederate, Empire of Japan, Stars and Stripes flags (Cork people :pac: ) from matches?
    Hopefully we see a few Union Jacks at London's next Connacht championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Hopefully we see a few Union Jacks at London's next Connacht championship match.

There were a few at the Connacht final this year,John 3:7 is a bit of a laugh always looked at it as an pun not a religious statement...Get a grip children its a bit of fun..You think someone is going to see the sign and subliminally become religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Prop Joe wrote: »
    There were a few at the Connacht final this year,John 3:7 is a bit of a laugh always looked at it as an pun not a religious statement...Get a grip children its a bit of fun..You think someone is going to see the sign and subliminally become religious?

What? Sure he's said as much that it's for religious reasons. He'd hardly be at 10+ championship games every year for the last 20 (?) if it was a bit of fun? He doesn't even interact with anyone, ye'd have thought he'd have at least made a friend along the way..

THFC wrote: »
    What? Sure he's said as much that it's for religious reasons. He'd hardly be at 10+ championship games every year for the last 20 (?) if it was a bit of fun? He doesn't even interact with anyone, ye'd have thought he'd have at least made a friend along the way..

Don't see how he is hurting anyone,It's a one-off guy and by accident it has become a tradition,In fairness when he is gone people will reminisce about him..Like it or not...Is he any worse than someone who brings a Joe Brolly/Pat Spillane is a bollox banner? or someone who dresses up as St.Patrick on All Ireland Club day? Stop demanding to be outraged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

When I was young I thought that sign was in reference to John Caroll knocking up a score of 3-7... anything was possible with that guy on the pitch :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_(hurler)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't see how he is hurting anyone,It's a one-off guy and by accident it has become a tradition,In fairness when he is gone people will reminisce about him..Like it or not...Is he any worse than someone who brings a Joe Brolly/Pat Spillane is a bollox banner? or someone who dresses up as St.Patrick on All Ireland Club day? Stop demanding to be outraged

Em.... excuse me? Stop putting words in my mouth there like a good lad. I'm not outraged, I just don't like the man.

And yes, there is a huge difference someone bringing a Pat Spillane is bollox banner. He's taking advantage of national sporting organisation to promote his religious beliefs, the former would be making a light-hearted insult at a GAA man at a GAA match, and if someone did bring a banner like that it would probably be taken off them by stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

THFC wrote: »
    He's taking advantage of national sporting organisation to promote his religious beliefs.
    Unlike the GAA who named the place after an archbishop .....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

As an atheist, I'm going to bring along a sign saying "God Does Not Exist" and stand behind the goal at high profile matches from now on just to see what happens.

I'm not an atheist, but that would be hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1 phantom flagmen

Strange goings on on the Limerick train back to Portlaoise. me and the husband sitting minding our own business when that old guy who holds the JOHN 3.7 sign came up to us and said "Who won the match? " My husband said Cork and yer man says " Oh I know who won, I just wanted to hear it again, and proceeded to heap abuse on us. We asked him to leave, and he refused, he was trying to goad us into reacting to him. He was slagging me about being a Dub, trying to taunt my husband. It was very disturbing, and only when my husband told him he "wasn't being very Christian at he top of his voice, and embarrassed him into backing off. This man is dangerous and HATES Dublin supporters. He isn't charitable or Christian, he should shove his sign up his arse. Dubs beware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

elefant wrote: »
    I'm not an atheist, but that would be hilarious

I'd say you could see a few of them if Mayo don't win the all ireland this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I notice John 3 7 wants a Hill ticket specificly. He's content to position himself in the davin stand in winter.
    What a waste of a ticket for the match when there's a lot of people who have an actual interest in the game of football that can't get tickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 jalan8984

The people whinging in this thread are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I remember years ago being on the Hill and someone got hold of his sign and passed it back up the Hill. I thought he might have seen the funny side but he was absolutely seething. Anytime he got near it it would just be passed on to someone else. Took him about 15 minutes to get it back. I'm sure he would've got it back quicker if he didn't start shouting at everyone that they were going to hell. Gob****e doesn't deserve a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What a waste of a ticket for the match when there's a lot of people who have an actual interest in the game of football that can't get tickets.
    He probably goes to more matches in one year than a good chunk who'll be at it have in the last 5 years in fairness. If there's cameras he's there but at least he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PGT

It's not just a publicity stunt. He really does enjoy the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

c_man wrote: »
    I agree with the statement, but it's hardly GAA endorse. It's one guy. Should we ban Confederate, Empire of Japan, Stars and Stripes flags (Cork people :pac: ) from matches?

I don't think anyone carrying those flags is doing it to make a political statement - they just happen to be the "right" colours.

There's your difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

He probably goes to more matches in one year than a good chunk who'll be at it have in the last 5 years in fairness. If there's cameras he's there but at least he's there.

Yes but he's no there for the football. I personally would prefer a football fan from one of the four competing counties got the ticket that he's making a public pitch for. That's just my opinion. I'm sure he'll get a ticket and I hope he has a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I don't think anyone carrying those flags is doing it to make a political statement - they just happen to be the "right" colours.

There's your difference.

What about a Nazi flag? That's the right colours too, why not fly it?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

What about a Nazi flag? That's the right colours too, why not fly it?

It's actually a little-known fact that Hitler and his Irish half-brother were Cork Fans ( Adolf was mostly a hurling man, he found the football a bit violent)

( Warning; above fact may not be historically accurate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I remember years ago being on the Hill and someone got hold of his sign and passed it back up the Hill. I thought he might have seen the funny side but he was absolutely seething. Anytime he got near it it would just be passed on to someone else. Took him about 15 minutes to get it back. I'm sure he would've got it back quicker if he didn't start shouting at everyone that they were going to hell. Gob****e doesn't deserve a ticket.
    So they bullied the poor guy.

What a bunch of childish cnuts.

so its totally acceptable to shun this man on his religious beliefs alone? If he was an atheist and getting the same treatment there would be uproar? Kicking practising catholics seems to be an acceptable pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Slightly off topic, but I've 2 spares for the Hogan tomorrow if anyone needs ticket.

Update: Tickets now gone folks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

so its totally acceptable to shun this man on his religious beliefs alone? If he was an atheist and getting the same treatment there would be uproar? Kicking practising catholics seems to be an acceptable pastime.

I don't go to GAA games with a sign saying God doesn't exist. Why should someone whose primary aim is to proselytise be given some sort of special treatment? Would you want to see a Muslim displaying a sign at every game saying apostates should be but to death?

Religious freedom (which also includes freedom from religion) does not protect religion from criticism. The Catholic Church and it's apologists are quick to cry religious repression when anyone dares point to their many crimes or criticise their arrogant claim to a monopoly on morality. Anyone asking for equality, or simply pointing to the double standard, is branded as an aggressive secularist or in the case of one rather unchristian poster above as 'pathetic'.

The notion that religious beliefs are in some way virtuous and not open to criticism, or even ridicule, is beyond rational discourse and our democracy. You can believe whatever you want, but don't expect anyone to either respect it or let you stand up in public with a great big sign and not be challenged about it. We are well able to apply this to most things (imagine a Fianna Fáil poster!) yet religion somehow gets a free pass?

5uspect wrote: »
    You can believe whatever you want, but don't expect anyone to either respect it

Oh deary:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

This man is dangerous and HATES Dublin supporters.... he should shove his sign up his arse. Dubs beware.

Hehe. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

so its totally acceptable to shun this man on his religious beliefs alone?

I'd suggest it's his erratically disturbing behavior which might have something to do with it, not particularly his religious views.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I saw him in Hesuton station after the semi last week, (he was sitting in the Davin that day, which I noticed on TV later by the way)

Had I know he was such a religious zelot I would have put him to death by stoning there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

5uspect wrote: »
    I don't go to GAA games with a sign saying God doesn't exist. Why should someone whose primary aim is to proselytise be given some sort of special treatment? Would you want to see a Muslim displaying a sign at every game saying apostates should be but to death?

Religious freedom (which also includes freedom from religion) does not protect religion from criticism. The Catholic Church and it's apologists are quick to cry religious repression when anyone dares point to their many crimes or criticise their arrogant claim to a monopoly on morality. Anyone asking for equality, or simply pointing to the double standard, is branded as an aggressive secularist or in the case of one rather unchristian poster above as 'pathetic'.

The notion that religious beliefs are in some way virtuous and not open to criticism, or even ridicule, is beyond rational discourse and our democracy. You can believe whatever you want, but don't expect anyone to either respect it or let you stand up in public with a great big sign and not be challenged about it. We are well able to apply this to most things (imagine a Fianna Fáil poster!) yet religion somehow gets a free pass?

****e talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

He's not a Catholic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement