Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see where Logan Thomas gets drafted. At the end of the year his stock was very low but at the combine he showed off all his athletic ability & he had a very good pro day recently by all accounts.

All the physical tools are there (cannon arm, prototypical size, outstanding athleticism) but he clearly made a lot of mistakes during college.

Of you were going on production he would barely be draftable but he is one of those guys that someone will look at & think that they can fix the problems in his game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the 2nd round

I kinda feel the same about Tajh Boyd, some team will give him an opertunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see where Logan Thomas gets drafted. At the end of the year his stock was very low but at the combine he showed off all his athletic ability & he had a very good pro day recently by all accounts.

All the physical tools are there (cannon arm, prototypical size, outstanding athleticism) but he clearly made a lot of mistakes during college.

Of you were going on production he would barely be draftable but he is one of those guys that someone will look at & think that they can fix the problems in his game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the 2nd round

Pretty much agree with everything you said except I think he'll go 4th or 5th. I said over in hte titans thread that I'd like for Titans to pick him up. There is just too much depth in this draft to spend your 2nd round pick on a complete project.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Heard some people rate Jimmy Garoppolo highly too, saying he could be a steal late rounds, but probably will go mid draft. From the school that brought you undrafted free agent, Tony Romo. Eastern Illinois.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Heard some people rate Jimmy Garoppolo highly too, saying he could be a steal late rounds, but probably will go mid draft. From the school that brought you undrafted free agent, Tony Romo. Eastern Illinois.

The sites I follow all nearly seem to have him as a 2nd rounder at this point (5th QB behind Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, Manziel) There is going to be a steal at QB some point late in the draft, the group of former SEC QB's is fairly strong too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any love for garropollo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I don't care what anyone says or how unpopular/hipster an opinion it seems, Aaron Murray is still my favourite QB prospect in this class by some distance.

Edit: Added "QB" before prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

My favourite prospect is Phillip Gaines. I really think he'll transition into the NFL well. Was a 6th rounder but now most people have him as a 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Stanley Jean Baptiste for me, Richard Sherman mark 2 imo. and Zach Mettenberger will turn out to be the second best qb from this draft behind Teddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I don't care what anyone says or how unpopular/hipster an opinion it seems, Aaron Murray is still my favourite prospect in this class by some distance.

that nasty knee injury has pushed his draft stock way down though, had he been fully healthy i reckon he could easy have been taken in the 1st round. if a team can get him in one of the mid to late rounds they possible have the steal of the draft on their team

Red Crow wrote: »
    My favourite prospect is Phillip Gaines. I really think he'll transition into the NFL well. Was a 6th rounder but now most people have him as a 3rd.
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Stanley Jean Baptiste for me, Richard Sherman mark 2 imo. and Zach Mettenberger will turn out to be the second best qb from this draft behind Teddy.

I'm liking this discussion. Perhaps a thread on Draft steels/gems etc might be a good idea?

Heard a little on Gaines around the time of the combine as many said he posted impressive numbers, I believe. Have never seen him play, though.

Might take some time over the weekend to check a few of the lesser known guys out. Will certainly be watching more college ball next season, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

Just to add, I meant Murray was my favourite QB prospect.

Eagle Eye usually starts a "favourite drafty binky" thread, apart from that year I was bored and couldn't wait, so I started it :o

I love seeing where the lower round guys you think are a steal go, and then following them through training camp, preseason and hopefully onto the 53 man roster and a starting spot.

Miles Burris was my absolute favourite of recent years as I ended up watching a lot of San Diego State because Ronnie Hillman was my first round pick in College Fantasy Football. Burris just stood out like a sore thumb. Having said that, I must have got too caught up in the SDSU hype, as I also thought Hillman and Ryan Lindley would shine, and those 2 haven't gone so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BkW9fRGCYAAE8BT.jpg

Image and stats compilation credit to Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap).

Basically it's just 9 different categories highlighted by colour, green obviously the best and red not good. Just an interesting way of viewing it IMO.

If you're to judge off that chart the rankings are - Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and McCarron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

McCarron is the value pick for a team with an older starter and without a need to play their rookie QB immediately. I'd like him in Arizona behind Palmer, Arians knows how to get the best from QBs and Arizona have a good roster that wouldn't leave McCarron exposed when he does start.

EDIT: And now I find a load of recent articles linking McCarron to the Cardinals. I feel like a genius: http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/03/aj-mccarron-rumors-arizona-cardinals-2014-nfl-draft/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    McCarron is the value pick for a team with an older starter and without a need to play their rookie QB immediately. I'd like him in Arizona behind Palmer, Arians knows how to get the best from QBs and Arizona have a good roster that wouldn't leave McCarron exposed when he does start.

EDIT: And now I find a load of recent articles linking McCarron to the Cardinals. I feel like a genius: http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/03/aj-mccarron-rumors-arizona-cardinals-2014-nfl-draft/

McCarron is completely unsuited to Arian's Offense IMO. Arians is a bigtime high risk/high reward type coach with a vertical passing game. McCarron is a game manager. Look at the above chart: he's at his worst when asked to make big throws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Little nugget from NFL Network

4 players named to Associated Press All American team as a freshman. They have been doing for the decades

Herschall Walker
    Marshall Faulk
    Adrian Peterson
    Sammy Watkins

Elite company to be in for sure!

Don't think it's been posted yet, or maybe I missed it, but here's the Johnny Football episode of Gruden's QB Camp.

Don't think it's been posted yet, or maybe I missed it, but here's the Johnny Football episode of Gruden's QB Camp.

Cheers mate. It was a nightmare trying to find these on any sort of streaming site last year so good to see them back in action. I'd imagine it won't last too long so best to watch it ASAP for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

davyjose wrote: »
    McCarron is completely unsuited to Arian's Offense IMO. Arians is a bigtime high risk/high reward type coach with a vertical passing game. McCarron is a game manager. Look at the above chart: he's at his worst when asked to make big throws.

There are suggestions Arians wants to utilise the running game more and manage games better. With a quality defence the worse thing you can do is knacker them with turnovers and ruin their ability to impact games so that makes plenty of sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Johnny Football

Sorry Jamarcus, You're about a month behind

It was only aired March 27th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

sorry but he linked the full episode you linked a 3 minute preview

Some interesting bets available on the draft.

To Go #1:

Clowney 6/4
    Bortles 13/8
    Bridgewater 6/1
    Manziel 6/1

1st Guard Drafted:

Xavier Sua-Filo 1/1
    David Yankey 5/4

1st Defensive Back Drafted:

Justin Gilbert 21/20
    Darqueze Dennard 7/4
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 9/4

Plenty of others here too if anything takes your fancy - http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl-specials/nfl-draft/1st-defensive-back-drafted

I think there's value in Bridgewater at 6's despite all the talk of the Texans liking Bortles at that spot. Also, I think Xavier Sua-Filo to be the first guard off the board at evens is a very nice bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Some interesting bets available on the draft.

To Go #1:

Clowney 6/4
    Bortles 13/8
    Bridgewater 6/1
    Manziel 6/1

1st Guard Drafted:

Xavier Sua-Filo 1/1
    David Yankey 5/4

1st Defensive Back Drafted:

Justin Gilbert 21/20
    Darqueze Dennard 7/4
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 9/4

Plenty of others here too if anything takes your fancy - http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl-specials/nfl-draft/1st-defensive-back-drafted

I think there's value in Bridgewater at 6's despite all the talk of the Texans liking Bortles at that spot. Also, I think Xavier Sua-Filo to be the first guard off the board at evens is a very nice bet.

Xavier Sua-Filo as 1st guard is a stonkingly good bet.

Bridgewater won't go 1st overall I'm afraid. Think I'm his 2nd biggest fan on here but everything I have read indicates to me that he will be the 3rd (or possibly 4th) QB taken

Darqueze Dennard as first CB is the standout one for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

This years NFL.com Draft predictor is up.

Go to http://predictpick.nfl.com/ to make your picks

This years NFL.com Draft predictor is up.

Go to http://predictpick.nfl.com/ to make your picks

Sweet, I've been waiting for that to come up. Cheers. I'll hopefully get a mock with a bit of a description on each pick done up using that over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Great video there with J Football (aka The Rocket Man) & Gruden.

He's perfect for the NFL..............except for..........!?

(ie. finish the sentence, if indeed the sentence needs finishing)

Eg, Gruden highlights 2 issues, size & durability, will these negatives prove too much of a hurdle for him to be successful in the NFL. I'm thinking he's somewhere in between a Wilson & an RGIII type QB, but Wilson has been more durable & successful whereas RGIII has not !

Wilson is an absolute student of the game, and that was clear long before he got to the NFL. Learnt two completely different offenses during his college days too. He has a Peyton Manning type drive when it comes to watching tape, conducting analysis, learning plays, etc.

I'm not so sure Manziel has that same ethic and intelligence about him. Sure, he's committed to football, I don't buy that he's not, but I wouldn't be quite expecting him to have the same success in his first year as Wilson or RGIII. Both players showed far more commitment to the pocket and working progressions than Manziel has done in college, too.

He may never reach those heights, but it'll be sure as hell fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Height is about the only accurate comparison to Wilson. Wilson was miles ahead of Manziel as in terms of a passer as a prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

That's the key point, he has the X factor, he's exciting to watch, but..........would you pick him ahead of the other QB's for your team?!

Whoever picks him, there's going to be alot of Johnny Footballmania.

Advertisement