Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

[Casey's] scare-mongering about an influx of migrants post-Brexit is as worrying as it is cynical.
    I haven't heard what Casey has said, because if he was on any radio or TV that I was listening to or watching I'd turn it down or over.

Having said that, his comments as you report them are not in the least bit surprising, as a man who established that there's a 25% racist vote to be got here, will now go full steam ahead with the Trump/Farage playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    I haven't heard what Casey has said, because if he was on any radio or TV that I was listening to or watching I'd turn it down or over.

Having said that, his comments as you report them are not in the least bit surprising, as a man who established that there's a 25% racist vote to be got here, will now go full steam ahead with the Trump/Farage playbook.

Any clarification on his tax status ... or are "his people" still working on that for him? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Trump is a danger to the world" - How many additional wars did Obama get them into and why did Boyd Barrett not protest him, cos he's black and it wouldn't look good for him? Trump is trying to get them out of wars. Why is he not being challenged on this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/06/us-sends-naval-strike-group-middle-east-message-iran/

Trump is an exceedingly dangerous lunatic with his finger on the button - do try and keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I've just looked at the Midlands/ NW poll in The Irish Times, and can't believe Casey is trailing Ming Flanagan. I hope that's correct, but his scare-mongering about an influx of migrants post-Brexit is as worrying as it is cynical.

Who's to say he's not correct? If the Brits stop free movement of just EU nations alone, you'd have to assume that a large percentage of those young Eastern Europeans for example who would have gone to the UK will end up here instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Ahwell

jay0109 wrote: »
    Who's to say he's not correct?

He's not correct, because what he actually said is...
    When Britain leaves [the EU] there is absolutely no way that Ireland can be the recipient of all the people that wanted to go to Britain.

Which is complete bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So what he said is more than likely going to be correct.

Some people who would have gone to Britain may chose Germany for example instead. And some may come to Ireland but not all of them.

Thanks for clearing that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Ahwell

jay0109 wrote: »
    So what he said is more than likely going to be correct.

Some people who would have gone to Britain may chose Germany for example instead. And some may come to Ireland but not all of them.

Thanks for clearing that up

No, he said they will all want to come here because we are an English speaking country, which is not at all likely to be correct. He made no mention of Germany or any other country - other than Malta.

Ahwell wrote: »
    No, he said they will all want to come here because we are an English speaking country, which is not at all likely to be correct. He made no mention of Germany or any other country - other than Malta.
    10 countries joined the EU in 2004: Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia. Let's focus on Poland, the source of the largest number of EU migrants. 12 other countries allowed immediate access to Polish workers to their markets - 9 of them were fellow joiners, and the other 3 were Sweden, the UK and Ireland. (Excellent chart here).

Crucially, Germany deferred full access until 2007, and Germany would have been the natural destination for a lot of those Polish workers, given that it's right next door (And, as an illustration of the convenience factor, who remembers the days before Ryanair flights to Poland, when there were buses on the quays in Dublin going to Poland?).

Given the chance to get out of Poland, a lot of (mostly young) workers did - and went to the existing member states of Sweden, Ireland and the UK. The UK, being the largest economy, was naturally a draw for a lot of the workers, and IIRC, there are approximately one million Polish people in the UK (250,000 here at peak IIRC). Also, the UK had previously had Polish migrants, so there may have been family connections too.

Once the Polish workers were established in England, they (naturally) stayed, even when Germany allowed Polish wokers in.

By contrast, when Bulgaria and Romania joined in 2007, their workers were not allowed work in most other members of the "old" EU (with the exception of Sweden and Finland, where they were allowed work straight away) until at least 2009 (Spain, Portugal, Greece and Denmark), 2012 (Italy and Ireland) and 2014 (France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, United Kingdom).

Given that the UK had deferred access until the same time as Germany, the numbers going to the UK were not massive (400,000 by 2017), and certainly not in the millions as screamed was going to happen by the xenophobic Daily Express. (If you read what they were saying, you would believe that there was not going to be a single citizen left in Romania after their workers were allowed work in the UK - the "immigration crisis" seeds for Brexit were already being sown).

By futher contrast, Croatian workers will not be allowed work in Austria until July of next year (7 years after accession).

So, the last exception aside, all Eastern European workers can now work in all countries, and the more prosperous economies nearer home will always be the first draw.

TLDR: the idea that all eastern european workers will now flock to Ireland in their millions is xenophobic nonsense, but as I've said, totally unsurprising from Casey given that he's following Farage's MO.

Did that lady say these shared living spaces will be smaller than a standard disabled parking space?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Wouldn’t it be a great example to the Rest of us if the Dail had 15/ 20% Immigrants in there .

There is an awful stench of Racism out of that Dail . What they say for others and what they do for themselves just don’t Butter no Parsnips .

How do they get away with being so Racist in the Way they Conduct themselves ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

blinding wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be a great example to the Rest of us if the Dail had 15/ 20% Immigrants in there .

There is an awful stench of Racism out of that Dail . What they say for others and what they do for themselves just don’t Butter no Parsnips .

How do they get away with being so Racist in the Way they Conduct themselves ?

Should we also have a quota of LGBT TDs too?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Should we also have a quota of LGBT TDs too?
    Of Course . We can’t have Politicians Pontificating one thing like Bishops of Yore and having a completely different situation for themselves .

I mean they have way over-done the moron quota are not even embarrassed about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Callan57 wrote: »
    Did that lady say these shared living spaces will be smaller than a standard disabled parking space?

She did indeed.

It was quoted in the Irish Times yesterday.
    "Bartra proposes that each en-suite bedroom will be 16.5 sq m (177sq ft).
    The recommended minimum size for a disabled parking space is 17.2 sq m."

I got out my tape measure and my bedroom not including the en-suite is 18.5 sq m.
    But of course I also have the rest of the house.
    Try this at home!

I hadn't noticed that the developer in this case is Bartra Capital

Bartra is the company that Pat Kenny recently helped defeat in its planning application to build large apartment blocks in Dalkey, adjacent to Bullock Harbour and to the Kenny's property. (The Second Battle of Gorse Hitll)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pat-kenny-faces-fresh-battle-to-prevent-apartment-development-beside-dalkey-home-37649768.html

I presume the developer wasn't planning on building a "shared-living space" (slum workers-collective) next to Pat Kenny, and that the application had been for a traditional apartment development?

Will Fine Gael be installing a Swing in these hovels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

elperello wrote: »
    She did indeed.

It was quoted in the Irish Times yesterday.
    "Bartra proposes that each en-suite bedroom will be 16.5 sq m (177sq ft).
    The recommended minimum size for a disabled parking space is 17.2 sq m."

I got out my tape measure and my bedroom not including the en-suite is 18.5 sq m.
    But of course I also have the rest of the house.
    Try this at home!

it's not a bad idea at all if everything was normal in Ireland, however with the lack of housing and cost of living people will be forced to live there rather than opt to live there.

I hadn't noticed that the developer in this case is Bartra Capital

Bartra is the company that Pat Kenny recently helped defeat in its planning application to build large apartment blocks in Dalkey, adjacent to Bullock Harbour and to the Kenny's property. (The Second Battle of Gorse Hitll)
    And for a little more detail:
    Bartra Capital Property Group is an investment management vehicle founded by ... Richard Barrett.
    He, formerly of Treasury Holdings along with Johnny Ronan.

There was a puff piece done on him in the Sunday Business Post and reproduced on the company's website:
    He has called the social housing situation a “humanitarian crisis” and has made tackling that a top focus. Bartra, his new venture, is developing social housing, residential homes in Dublin. It is also involved in healthcare, as well as renewable energy infrastructure.

It wants to be the biggest private social housing provider in the state, and Barrett’s plans for the healthcare sector are no less ambitious, with Bartra aiming to be among the largest private healthcare operators in Ireland. He also wants to build a new type of home in the chronically underserved urban housing market, and wants planning changes to help with that.
    And here's another gem:
    If you go to Ikea, for instance, it has two show apartments: one is 25 square metres and one is 35 square metres. You can walk into them and they’re perfectly acceptable living spaces.

Really Richard? So acceptable that that's what you live in, is it?
    with the lack of housing and cost of living people will be forced to live there rather than opt to live there.
    Yeah, the commentary from Murphy that it will be "exciting" and that people will "choose" to live there is nauseating nonsense.

But then it's no surprise that Murphy would be saying this, since Barrett
    has influence – an aide for Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy approaches him after the conference to pick up on some points with him. He has engaged with Murphy’s department on several occasions.

Anyone listening to Bailey interview?

"Fair playing GAA.."

.. Jazuz.

Better than liveline gold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Oh My God.......this is a car crash plane crash interview.:eek:

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Oh My God.......this is a car crash plane crash interview.:eek:

It was ONLY 7,000 ... well now isn't it well for her that she can say ONLY 7,000.

I'd say Leo is having a fit if he is listening to this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Sean O'Rourke - I think I'd rather explain myself to God himself instead of Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,975 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'I was just following legal advice - I am the victim here Sean'...not really working is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The old saying, how does it go again? When in a hole, stop digging, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Playing the usual cards..... female td being victimised, working mother, keyboard warriors.......

Comhra wrote: »
    The old saying, how does it go again? When in a hole, stop digging, or something like that?
    Careful , Potential Back Issue !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Well that went well :rolleyes: My back is aching with laughter - I intend to sue RTE for my painful back. I am committed to getting legal advice on this... just let me put down these two vodkas so I can make that call. I am a strong person. Just because I am a male will not deter me from this action. The silver lining in all of this is that I have learned a lot about people..................not all of them are conniving believers in the compo culture :confused:

washiskin wrote: »
    Playing the usual cards..... female td being victimised, working mother, keyboard warriors.......
    Is this what real feminists stood for ?

'I was just following legal advice - I am the victim here Sean'...not really working is it?

Attack the journalist!!!!! How to breath life into a story & give it another week on the front page.
    Maria Bailey seriously lacking in political savvy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Holy cr*p! Alison O'Connor fairly putting the boot in! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement