Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

tretorn wrote: »
    Womens voices are too high pitched for radio and if its an all woman line up for most of the day Radio will be loud and unpleasant.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

tretorn wrote: »
    I will miss Sean and I really hope he isnt replaced by another woman.

As far as I know, no one has announced he's retiring! Just speculation that maybe he should move on and give the gig to a younger person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

BarryD2 wrote:
    The main problem here would be a very obvious lack of gender balance. It's already at the stage where women quite outnumber men on Radio 1 news and current affairs programming. The men just seem to be used as fillers, the light fluffy stuff or spinning discs. So having agreed above that it might well be a woman to replace O'Rourke, I don't see how they could credibly get away with it. Particularly when issues arise concerning gender balance - how could the presenters cover them without the station being accused of rank hypocrisy.

This isn't true. Of the 8 programmes between 7am and 7pm on Radio 1, 5 of them are fronted by men.

Tubridy, O'Rourke, the lotto guy, Duffy and Darcy.

Morning Ireland has 2 or 3 regular male presenters.

So there is no gender balance on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BarryD2 wrote: »
    As far as I know, no one has announced he's retiring! Just speculation that maybe he should move on and give the gig to a younger person.

Isn't he RTE staff rather than contractor? Which means he's obliged to retire at 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dulpit wrote: »
    Isn't he RTE staff rather than contractor? Which means he's obliged to retire at 65?

He is

Just like Derek Davis RIP gone at 65

Total waste of talent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

This isn't true. Of the 8 programmes between 7am and 7pm on Radio 1, 5 of them are fronted by men.

Tubridy, O'Rourke, the lotto guy, Duffy and Darcy.

Morning Ireland has 2 or 3 regular male presenters.

So there is no gender balance on Radio 1.

What are ye talking about :) You must misunderstand, my point, which was related to previous ones referred to gender balance in news & current affairs on Radio1. The men you list above and most others are not news & current affairs!

Tubridy - hairdresser radio
    Collins - 70s nostalgia
    Duffy - mostly daft
    Darcy - public health
    Sean Rocks - arts
    Creedon - tunes
    plus other male DJs like Neil Doherty and the Late Date chap.

BarryD2 wrote:
    Tubridy - hairdresser radio Collins - 70s nostalgia Duffy - mostly daft Darcy - public health Sean Rocks - arts Creedon - tunes plus other male DJs like Neil Doherty and the Late Date chap.

BarryD2 wrote:
    What are ye talking about You must misunderstand, my point, which was related to previous ones referred to gender balance in news & current affairs on Radio1. The men you list above and most others are not news & current affairs!

Majority of RTE correspondents are male.

So again, there is no gender balance in current affairs in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

"Sun King on a tour of the provinces" ... good one from Brendan Howlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Confirmed by Miriam o Callaghan that she'll be hosting the show for 6 weeks from 15 July.

Badabing wrote: »
    Confirmed by Miriam o Callaghan that she'll be hosting the show for 6 weeks from 15 July.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote:

I think last year she managed a week off during her 6 week run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Badabing wrote: »

Fookin hell. Newstalk will be #1 on my presets for the summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We need a Young George Hook .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

blinding wrote: »
    We need a Young George Hook .

Danny Baker's free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think last year she managed a week off during her 6 week run.

So they need a stand-in for the stand-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fookin hell. Newstalk will be #1 on my presets for the summer

#metoo Januoinely

NIMAN wrote: »
    Danny Baker's free!!
    I see no connection with such and a desperate need for a Young George Hook .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

So,can someone clarify, SoR is retiring in July and miss polly pockets is getting the gig ?

Edit : just re read the post,its only for 6 weeks. I can put my passport back into hiding.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

ffs the one presenting spot that they actually have a presenter that is a good fit, and he's leaving. Why could it not be Tubridy or D'Arcy.

ffs the one presenting spot that they actually have a presenter that is a good fit, and he's leaving. Why could it not be Tubridy or D'Arcy.
    Tubridy and D’Arcy are Devil Spawn/ Sperm . Stuck to Rte for what seems like Eternity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Sean approaching Joe Duffy levels of time off with a six week summer break. Must be a great organization to work in.

Interesting example that woman was setting her children "we put him on the lead when the dog warden is around" ...
    Wonder is that her attitude to all other laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Some woman on talking about Brigitte Macron and her marriage to Emmanuel and the fact that some of her children are older than he is.

She was very blasé (;)) about the fact that the relationship began when he was 15 and she was 39.

I wonder would the correspondent have had the same attitude if the genders were reversed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

serfboard wrote: »
    Some woman on talking about Brigitte Macron and her marriage to Emmanuel and the fact that some of her children are older than he is.

She was very blasé (;)) about the fact that the relationship began when he was 15 and she was 39.

I wonder would the correspondent have had the same attitude if the genders were reversed?

No she wouldn't would be the answer.:pac:

I find it difficult to understand how Sean seems to find the job such a burden. He used to fill in for Pat so he knew what the job was when knew what the job was when he signed up for it. And he comes across as someone who is very comfortable in the job, and he's certainly very competent at it. Better than Pat for me. But, a bit like Alan Hansen, behind that veneer of assured professionalism is an insecure and anxious man.

"Trump is a danger to the world" - How many additional wars did Obama get them into and why did Boyd Barrett not protest him, cos he's black and it wouldn't look good for him? Trump is trying to get them out of wars. Why is he not being challenged on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Theres no question over Matt running in the GE in Cavan/Monaghan.

Caoimhin is standing down and Matt will run. His advertising posters for public meetings are up almost constantly. :pac:

Theres no question over Matt running in the GE in Cavan/Monaghan.

Caoimhin is standing down and Matt will run. His advertising posters for public meetings are up almost constantly. :pac:
    Worth bearing in mind who his replacement is, then, should he keep this seat and subsequently seek a Dail seat. It's Cllr Darren O'Rourke (never heard of him either, but at least he's a politician)

Peter Casey, who is almost certain to win a seat, and may also go on to take a Dail seat, has nominated his wife Helen Casey as his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Peter Casey, who is almost certain to win a seat,

Is he though? He's polling at around 9%, putting him 5th in a 4 seat constituency. He could win a seat, but it's not a certainty.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    Is he though? He's polling at around 9%, putting him 5th in a 4 seat constituency. He could win a seat, but it's not a certainty.
    I've just looked at the Midlands/ NW poll in The Irish Times, and can't believe Casey is trailing Ming Flanagan. I hope that's correct, but his scare-mongering about an influx of migrants post-Brexit is as worrying as it is cynical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement