Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pain relief options

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Trust me both times was fine having others around actually nice in a sense because when my baby cried I knew it was normal because they all did it regularly.. No one judges trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm always kicking myself that I didn't try to keep in touch with any of the girls in the hospital the second and last time I gave birth (the first and third nobody really chatted but the second and last time it was curtains thrown back in the middle of the night chatting while we fed babies type of thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    I'm always kicking myself that I didn't try to keep in touch with any of the girls in the hospital the second and last time I gave birth (the first and third nobody really chatted but the second and last time it was curtains thrown back in the middle of the night chatting while we fed babies type of thing).

Yeah I actually really enjoyed being on the public ward myself. Any problems I was having, I could see others around me were going through the same. For example, myself and two others were taking turns with the breast pump - like me, they were two first time mothers who had thought they'd be breastfeeding naturally - like me, their babies were in ICU at the time - nothing had gone to plan! I cannot imagine how isolating it would have been if I was alone in a private room, no mammies or babies around me, with my son up in ICU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yeah I actually really enjoyed being on the public ward myself. Any problems I was having, I could see others around me were going through the same. For example, myself and two others were taking turns with the breast pump - like me, they were two first time mothers who had thought they'd be breastfeeding naturally - like me, their babies were in ICU at the time - nothing had gone to plan! I cannot imagine how isolating it would have been if I was alone in a private room, no mammies or babies around me, with my son up in ICU!

That sounds nice..I was in busy ward with the little man 24th-26th and found everyone generally very unfriendly...I was dying to get out of there and get us home to my fiance. I was semi private but it was full so was in public warx...found ward life the biggest drain I felt instantly better at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was in five days on my first and the other mums were amazing. I think they took pity on me cause I was young and inexperienced, the woman beside me had just had number six and gave me so much advice. I'd have cracked up on my own. With the second I ended up on a semi private ward with just two other ladies both of who had sections and they were constantly asking me to do things for them as they bed bound. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The only perk was the bathroom which was in the ward rather than across the corridor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Why would other women in the same situation be judging you? I'm sure that we will all be too wrapped up in our own situations to be paying much attention to other patients, never mind anything else :)

Its just the mentality I have. I wouldnt like other strange people looking at me while I learn to try and care for my baby. Might seem weird (I know it is) but Ive always had it in my head that Id want the privacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Its just the mentality I have. I wouldnt like other strange people looking at me while I learn to try and care for my baby. Might seem weird (I know it is) but Ive always had it in my head that Id want the privacy!

Well then hopefully the MLU works out and no other issue arises that means you or baby have to stay in hospital after the birth. If you did, you have every right to just close the curtains and keep yourself to yourself.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Well then hopefully the MLU works out and no other issue arises that means you or baby have to stay in hospital after the birth. If you did, you have every right to just close the curtains and keep yourself to yourself.

Tbh the thing that would upset me the most is not having my partner there at night time!
    Although in fairness I'd probably feel different if this wasn't my first :o

Tbh the thing that would upset me the most is not having my partner there at night time!

I desperately missed my partner when he left hospital...really spurred me on to get home faster!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I desperately missed my partner when he left hospital...really spurred me on to get home faster!

I don't even know for sure that my partner could leave! :P I know he'd have to, but he doesn't even like leaving the room when I'm getting bloods done, because he knows how distressed I get :o
    I'm not the most social person going, I wouldn't strike up a conversation with a stranger, and would probably feel uncomfortable if one tried to talk to me. It's why I hate going to the hairdressers :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't even know for sure that my partner could leave! :P I know he'd have to, but he doesn't even like leaving the room when I'm getting bloods done, because he knows how distressed I get :o
    I'm not the most social person going, I wouldn't strike up a conversation with a stranger, and would probably feel uncomfortable if one tried to talk to me. It's why I hate going to the hairdressers :pac:
    Ahh Im glad that isnt just me...takes all the relaxation out of getting your hair done when youre trying to make small talk youd rather not make!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Shashabear I did a similar thing to you (domino), hospital was very very busy so I had to leave domino room and go onto a ward. It was grand 6 beds only 5 used. I was in my own little bubble so I can't remember much. I only stayed a few hours as didn't have an epi. My OH stayed with me for ages (even though visiting time was over). Everyone was so so nice. :) On the pain relief note if I was going again I would defo take an epi, labour was so painful my body went into shock!!! I can laugh about it now! We are talking crazy legs shaking the works. I feel I missed out on the whole "it's a boy moment" as I was so out of it from pain and exhaustion. The positive thing was I literally walking around straight after the birth!

Millem wrote: »
    Shashabear I did a similar thing to you (domino), hospital was very very busy so I had to leave domino room and go onto a ward. It was grand 6 beds only 5 used. I was in my own little bubble so I can't remember much. I only stayed a few hours as didn't have an epi. My OH stayed with me for ages (even though visiting time was over). Everyone was so so nice. :) On the pain relief note if I was going again I would defo take an epi, labour was so painful my body went into shock!!! I can laugh about it now! We are talking crazy legs shaking the works. I feel I missed out on the whole "it's a boy moment" as I was so out of it from pain and exhaustion. The positive thing was I literally walking around straight after the birth!

I got the shakes when my epi kicked in...felt like it was shock! Felt like my body didnt have time to do anything but deal with pain until I got the epi and then it had it's 'what in the name of god was that' moment:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    and then it had it's 'what in the name of god was that' moment:-)

Sorry but that made me lol!

Yea the strangers wanting to know when your due is it your first do you know what your having and so on gets frustrating.. Last time I was to the hairdressers was a week before the birth of my second and one of them was pregnant and had few months to go, the other had the same fertility problems as me and had just lost twins that she conceived from ivf.. Easily the most uncomfortable I've ever been kinda didn't wanna talk about anything to do with babies

I loved getting home early solely to get baby used to that atmosphere and get introducing my little guy to his sister out of the way...

Yea the strangers wanting to know when your due is it your first do you know what your having and so on gets frustrating.. Last time I was to the hairdressers was a week before the birth of my second and one of them was pregnant and had few months to go, the other had the same fertility problems as me and had just lost twins that she conceived from ivf.. Easily the most uncomfortable I've ever been kinda didn't wanna talk about anything to do with babies

I loved getting home early solely to get baby used to that atmosphere and get introducing my little guy to his sister out of the way...

I went with my OH while he got his hair cut last week. She proceeded to tell me I couldn't have my baby until a fortnight after my due date because all first babies are two weeks overdue.

How many kids did she have? Oh, just none :pac:

Well I had number 1 on due date and number 2 was 3 days late... I know what I'd have said... She listens to too many people and makes up her own assumptions..

Advertisement