Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pain relief options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maireincork

Would you be into trying something like GentleBirth - used it with my labours and didn't need pain relief at all. It was great cos I had been freaking out about th birth - I don't like th feeling of not being in control and was worried that taking any of the drugs would bring out these feeling and I'd end up having a panic attack in labour so went to a workshop and listened to the CDs every night (have a bit of a type a personality so wanted to do it 'right!!!') and had 2 amazing labours - was thrilled with the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

An epidural is not for someone who wants to be in complete control of their senses.

That is different for different people. I had a very good epidural, it may have been at a lower level maybe? I was able to move my legs and had pressure sensations. Pushed for 25 mins, baby born with no vaccuum etc.

I was certainly much more in control of my senses than I was with gas or drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I'd love to read some more experiences of different types of pain relief (or none) so thought I'd revive this older thread to get the ball rolling again.

I'm 29 weeks and only starting to get my head around the whole idea of birth, was trying not to think about it till now. I've no idea what I'll be able for, but I'd love to go with as little medical help as possible. I'm in a pretty medicalised maternity system here in the US, so would love to know what the range of experiences are at home in Ireland, to know what is possible. Like, it seems not everyone goes for an epidural in Ireland while I've heard that in my hospital it is nearly everyone. It would be nice to know how others fared with or without certain types of pain relief in case I have to fight my corner :)

Thanks!

I saw this Cochrane Review mentioned in another thread here on epidurals and thought I'd post it, see the pdf. It reviewed lots of studies on pain relief in labour. It is quite jargony but there is a plain language summary section that I found useful.

I'd never heard of it before but apparently the Cochrane library does respected reviews of medical practices http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochrane_Library

Actually, there are loads of articles here on pain relief in pregnancy, and much more I imagine. If anyone is interested, have a gander http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane-reviews and search for whatever you want.

You'll be able to get the summaries at least, and it appears Ireland is one of the countries that has got a license for free use, so you might also be able to get full articles too (I can get them through a work website).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd love to read some more experiences of different types of pain relief (or none) so thought I'd revive this older thread to get the ball rolling again.

I'm 29 weeks and only starting to get my head around the whole idea of birth, was trying not to think about it till now. I've no idea what I'll be able for, but I'd love to go with as little medical help as possible. I'm in a pretty medicalised maternity system here in the US, so would love to know what the range of experiences are at home in Ireland, to know what is possible. Like, it seems not everyone goes for an epidural in Ireland while I've heard that in my hospital it is nearly everyone. It would be nice to know how others fared with or without certain types of pain relief in case I have to fight my corner :)

Thanks!

I've had a natural birth with absolutely no pain relief whatsoever, a natural birth with epidural and gas & air, a c section under general anesthetic and a c section with just an epirdural.

Ask away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I would have myself well informed about all methods of pain relief but ultimately I think you'll only make that decision when you're in the hospital or wherever you're in labour and see what kind of pain you're in. I went into labour at 12 midnight and gave birth at 10a.m. In that space of time I had sleeping pills, gas and air, pethidine and an epidural. I was not prepared for how painful my contractions were going to be. The gas and air gave me some relief and so did the pethidine but it was the edipural that gave me the most pain relief. However, it took about 30 minutes for the anesthesiologist to get the needle into my back. He had to stop between my contractions and it was very painful. However, as soon as the needle went into my back I fell asleep for 4 hours. I woke up at 7.30a.m to find out from the midwife that I was 10cms dilated and ready to push. It was such a relief to have slept through all those contractions and not have felt a thing. I really didn't feel a thing!! The epidural helped me through the really bad pain but when I was pushing I didn't feel a thing and had to rely on the midwives to tell me when I was having a contraction and when to push. I really didn't like losing that control over my body. I ended up having a natural delivery and it great amazing. I was as high as a kite when I have birth ;)

Like I said, your experience might be completely different. You might feel minimal pain or the worse pain of your life. Just be well informed and see how things pan out for you. Good luck :)))))

January wrote: »
    I've had a natural birth with absolutely no pain relief whatsoever, a natural birth with epidural and gas & air, a c section under general anesthetic and a c section with just an epirdural.

Ask away...

Wow, you are like a one-stop-shop there! Thanks a mill. You'll be sorry you said "ask away" ;)

So, which was the worst? And best? Pain, length, Experience for you, Experience for your baby.
    Were you ok with being knocked out for the first section? Was it any better to have the epi with c-section?
    How was the pain relief for you, like were you out of it or sick with the gas and epi or were you with it and able to move?
    Which would you choose to do again, if you could?
    Did you have any interventions like induction, forceps etc with any type?
    Were the c-sections planned or emergency? Did you feel like you had options on them or were you more told that it was the thing to do.
    Why no pain relief on the first, choice or speed of the birth? And why did you go with an epidural with the second? (I am assuming they are in order)
    Did you want to have skin-to-skin and if so, were you able to do it with any of them?

TBH, I'm not so worried about the pain (although of course I am scared ****less :eek:) but my main concern is if I take something and then labour slows down, bubba gets stuck and I can't push him out, then having to get induced/forceps/c-section to get him out and whatever effects they might bring.

I know I'm probably totally over thinking it and birth goes great for lots of people, but the more info I have the better I can deal with things.

Thanks a mill.

I would have myself well informed about all methods of pain relief but ultimately I think you'll only make that decision when you're in the hospital or wherever you're in labour and see what kind of pain you're in. I went into labour at 12 midnight and gave birth at 10a.m. In that space of time I had sleeping pills, gas and air, pethidine and an epidural. I was not prepared for how painful my contractions were going to be. The gas and air gave me some relief and so did the pethidine but it was the edipural that gave me the most pain relief. However, it took about 30 minutes for the anesthesiologist to get the needle into my back. He had to stop between my contractions and it was very painful. However, as soon as the needle went into my back I fell asleep for 4 hours. I woke up at 7.30a.m to find out from the midwife that I was 10cms dilated and ready to push. It was such a relief to have slept through all those contractions and not have felt a thing. I really didn't feel a thing!! The epidural helped me through the really bad pain but when I was pushing I didn't feel a thing and had to rely on the midwives to tell me when I was having a contraction and when to push. I really didn't like losing that control over my body. I ended up having a natural delivery and it great amazing. I was as high as a kite when I have birth ;)

Like I said, your experience might be completely different. You might feel minimal pain or the worse pain of your life. Just be well informed and see how things pan out for you. Good luck :)))))

Thanks icescreamqueen, that is a great description, lots of info. Wow, I can't believe you slept through the contractions, that sounds brilliant!

I've no idea what I'll be able to put up with, I thought I was relatively well able to handle physical things but so far I've had a bit of an unexpected rough time with the pregnancy so my perception of what I can handle has changed. I think you are right, I wont' know till I'm in the middle of it. So while I'd love to go with no pain relief, I am very open to it when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

This is a really useful thread, thanks girls.

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow, yay! :) I've got my Mama TENS machine. For those of you who used it, did you put it on the very moment you started getting contractions or did you wait a while? Also, did you find it good? I've heard really positive things so any first-hand feedback or advice on using it appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wow, you are like a one-stop-shop there! Thanks a mill. You'll be sorry you said "ask away" ;)

So, which was the worst? The general anesthetic by far, I was out of it for about two days after the section, couldn't look after my baby properly, can't remember much of our first two days together.
    And best? Natural birth!
    Pain, length, Experience for you, Experience for your baby.
    Pain was pretty bad on all of them, I did want the epidural when I had the natural birth but there was no time, baby was coming too quickly but I'm glad I had the experience and I had hoped to do it again (I had c section with general first, natural birth with epi second, natural birth pain free on third and c section with epi on fourth) but it wasn't to be.
    Were you ok with being knocked out for the first section? No, I was hysterical, my partner wasn't allowed to attend the birth because I was asleep. Neither he, nor I witnessed our first daughters birth and it took me a long time to come to terms with that.
    Was it any better to have the epi with c-section? Different, but not better, at least we both got to witness the baby being born this time. Scary as heck.
    How was the pain relief for you, like were you out of it or sick with the gas and epi or were you with it and able to move? Able to move, but not much with the epi, was able to cross my legs etc but that was about it. Gas and air made a bit sick on the second birth but was fine on the first.
    Which would you choose to do again, if you could? Natural, all day long, nothing beats being able to move into whatever position you like and move around straight after the birth, I was up and showered about 45 mins after I gave birth as opposed to 4/5 hours after the epidural, two days with the general.
    Did you have any interventions like induction, forceps etc with any type? Induction on number 1 and number 4, both led to emergency c section.

Were the c-sections planned or emergency? Did you feel like you had options on them or were you more told that it was the thing to do. Both emergency, there were no options, I wasn't dilating despite being on oxytocin drips both times and the babies were both distressed.
    Why no pain relief on the first, choice or speed of the birth? And why did you go with an epidural with the second? (I am assuming they are in order) No, not in order sorry. First was emergency c section under general, second was natural epi birth, third was natural birth, fourth was emergency c section epi. No pain relief on third because no time but I had managed fine up until then without pain relief and it was only about 20 mins from asking for pain relief until birth. Second was epidural becasue I was exhausted and wanted to sleep, after being awake for nearly 48 hours, feckers didn't let me sleep, kept waking me to take blood pressure etc.
    Did you want to have skin-to-skin and if so, were you able to do it with any of them? Skin to skin was possible on both natural births, on the last c section I had skin to skin in recovery but not before, as they wanted to check baby out as he was in distress. On the first there was no skin to skin until I was in the ward.

TBH, I'm not so worried about the pain (although of course I am scared ****less :eek:) but my main concern is if I take something and then labour slows down, bubba gets stuck and I can't push him out, then having to get induced/forceps/c-section to get him out and whatever effects they might bring.

I know I'm probably totally over thinking it and birth goes great for lots of people, but the more info I have the better I can deal with things.

Thanks a mill.

Bolded the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Since i last wrote on this thread i have had baba no 2. I was much more succesful using the gas and air this time. I knew what i was at and it worked well for me. But still opted for tge epidural. It was much easier getting it this time around. I did have a few moments if near panic (second baba, i knew what was coming) but fantastic midwife got stern so i got a grip. Epi didnt numb me as much this time around so still felt all the contractions etc but i was way more with it come the birth.
    I had a 10 hr labour first time and 5 hr second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Jesus january talk about experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Wow January! Theyre some experiences! You could write a book. I wouldn't say there's many women go through all combinations.

Just to add to what's been said, I had an epidural and found it great to be able to sleep as it was a long labour. Good to conserve some energy for the pushing. I didn't mind not being able to get up directly afterwards. I didn't really notice that I hadn't showered, I was so caught up in trying to breastfeed. I did have a bed bath so maybe that helped! Was able to shower bout 6 hours after so that was grand.

Like others have said, just be open minded and have each method researched so you know what to ask if various situations arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My experience was that I didn't like gas and air so didn't Use it so managed to have both babies naturally. Even if I wanted I couldn't of had epi as with both there was no time. I was lucky that I didn't need stitches but I did need to get knocked out for manual placenta removal with my first second I delivered it myself. After the birth like about 12 hours or so after I did need difiene as tummy was cramping, slightly worse than period cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Just my two cents, I gave birth last week to our first baby Oscar!

I was induced as 11 days over, waters were broken as I was already 2-3cm dilated from a week before anyways. Contractions started coming thick and fast and increasing in intensity quite fast, lasted 3 1/2 hours before I got epidural and I was checked once it had kicked in and I was fully dilated. I had said I didn't want gas and air in case it made me sick but after 2 hours of waiting for a room to free up so I could get the epidural I was in a state with the pain so at that stage I would've tried anything. Luckily it didn't make me sick, I didn't really feel it did a huge amount except make me feel a little out of it but I was so tired in between contractions it was half tiredness and half goofiness. I didn't find it did anything for the pain though but maybe I wasn't taking enough in. Epidural was amazing, it was in 5 minutes and I had instant relief but could still move my legs around and I could still feel the tightening of contractions and the pressure of the baby so I knew when to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've had 4, fairly quick births.. only ever had gas and air. The more you use it the better you get at it. You need to be taking it before the contraction starts, sounds difficult but you do get the hang of it.
    I always said i'd leave my mind open for pain relief and on 3 of them I got to a point where i said 'okay i need an epidural...!' I was ready to deliver.. :rolleyes: this time will be the same.. i'll see how far i can go myself with gas and if i need more I'll shout!

cbyrd wrote: »
    I've had 4, fairly quick births.. only ever had gas and air. The more you use it the better you get at it. You need to be taking it before the contraction starts, sounds difficult but you do get the hang of it!

Had a home visit from midwife this morning and she said the same cbyrd, that there is a very definite knack to using it and that lots of people give up because they feel it's not working but that it's worth sticking with it as you get into a rhythm and it can be very effective. Did it make you a little nauseous at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Merkin wrote: »
    This is a really useful thread, thanks girls.

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow, yay! :) I've got my Mama TENS machine. For those of you who used it, did you put it on the very moment you started getting contractions or did you wait a while? Also, did you find it good? I've heard really positive things so any first-hand feedback or advice on using it appreciated.

I foynd tens great for the early to middle stages...it definitely helps up to a certain point so you'll get great use out of it!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I foynd tens great for the early to middle stages...it definitely helps up to a certain point so you'll get great use out of it!

Thanks Smokey, starting on it tomorrow! Midwife said get a little but of practice on it every evening between now and labour so that I can start building up natural endorphins, the feedback has been very positive, sounds like a good distraction and she said it's great for lower back ache too so win win! Hope the little guy is doing well :)

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Bolded the questions :)

Brilliant, thanks January.

Suucee wrote: »
    I did have a few moments if near panic (second baba, i knew what was coming) but fantastic midwife got stern so i got a grip.

So, ignorance is bliss? :D

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Epidural was amazing, it was in 5 minutes and I had instant relief but could still move my legs around and I could still feel the tightening of contractions and the pressure of the baby so I knew when to push.

Congrats and welcome baby Oscar!

Its nice to hear you could still move a bit and sense the contractions, I'd be worried that I couldn't feel anything at all and wouldn't be able to push properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Due my first in 5 days (but she seems pretty happy to board herself in :o )

I'm on the MLU in Cavan, so epidurals and c-sections are not offered to me, and if I want them I have to be transferred out and into the ward where I lose ALL of the privileges I specifically chose MLU for (private room, birthing pool, more than one birthing partner, no ward afterwards and having my partner stay overnight).
    I get the TENS machine given to me as soon as I arrive in, and will have a full tub ready for me as well. Gas and Air from the get-go and I've asked them to hold off on the pethidine until I feel I really need a boost. Obviously I have absolutely no idea what it's going to feel like, but I'm using a bit of positive thinking and constantly reminding myself how much less enjoyable my experience will be if I end up on the ward without my mother, amongst a load of strangers and sleeping alone on a ward being woken constantly by other people's screaming babies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Both mine were inductions and I was advised to have an epidural as the pain is usually a lot more intense with an induction. Both were fine but there was a big difference between the sensations in them. The first which was back in the 90's literally cut off all sensation from the waist down. The second 5 years ago left me with sensations but no pain, I could feel the contractions but they didn't hurt, it just felt like pressure in the abdomen so I knew when to push, recovery time was a lot quicker too, I was back on my feet within an hour.

Had gas and air too but stopped as the midwife was quite rude to me about how I was using it. It has a strange taste and I didn't really like it but it helped if I sucked on it from time to time, she was insisting that I was doing it wrong and I needed to breathe it in throughout the contraction and after I failed to do this she took it off me!!

I also had pethidine. This was given to me to help me sleep through the false labour pains the induction causes. The doctor told me that sometimes it can bring labour on and he was right, within half an hour I was 6cms and being whisked to the labour ward.

I still think the biggest pain relief is in your head. I was managing the contractions quite well until the midwife did a routine internal and discovered I was in full labour. I panicked as my husband had left and it was hit and miss if he would make it back and at that point the pain went from about a 4 to off the scale. I would really recommend looking into hypnobirthing just in case your choice of pain relief on the day isn't available.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Due my first in 5 days (but she seems pretty happy to board herself in :o )

I'm on the MLU in Cavan, so epidurals and c-sections are not offered to me, and if I want them I have to be transferred out and into the ward where I lose ALL of the privileges I specifically chose MLU for (private room, birthing pool, more than one birthing partner, no ward afterwards and having my partner stay overnight).
    I get the TENS machine given to me as soon as I arrive in, and will have a full tub ready for me as well. Gas and Air from the get-go and I've asked them to hold off on the pethidine until I feel I really need a boost. Obviously I have absolutely no idea what it's going to feel like, but I'm using a bit of positive thinking and constantly reminding myself how much less enjoyable my experience will be if I end up on the ward without my mother, amongst a load of strangers and sleeping alone on a ward being woken constantly by other people's screaming babies :o

Shasha, how have you found Cavan so far? Do you have much of a journey to go? I couldn't do MLU because of my first birth but second birth was by the book so would prob be aloud if I had another.. Cavan is about 40 mins away which is fine

Did they say how long you'll have to stay in after

Shasha, how have you found Cavan so far? Do you have much of a journey to go? I couldn't do MLU because of my first birth but second birth was by the book so would prob be aloud if I had another.. Cavan is about 40 mins away which is fine

Did they say how long you'll have to stay in after

I'm finding it a dream so far. I don't EVER get kept waiting for appointments. Barely have my bum on the waiting room chair when I get called, and sometimes the midwife taking me sees me coming and sends me straight in. They are very attentive, cheerful and gentle - I've met all the midwives now, they all know me by name and I've never felt silly or belittled by things I've said. Cavan is 40 minutes away from me too, and my OH's parents live about 10 minutes from the hospital so we stay there for early appointments or just drive up for later ones :D
    They said if everything goes smoothly, I'll get kept roughly 24 hours, depending on the time I give birth. AKA if I went in and gave birth at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I'd be discharged the following afternoon. But if I gave birth at 3 or 4 in the morning, they'd be happy to let me out that night once they were happy I had a proper support network at home. Max stay in the MLU for a normal pregnancy is 48 hours :)

I was put after 24 hours with both mine which was great.. I pestered them non stop to let me home.. I couldn't deliver placenta first time but did second time so hopefully next time I can go with the midwives.. Sounds amazing.. Don't get me wrong was grand with both mine but after my daughter when I was back on the ward at 9am they ran my hubby out even though it was in the visiting hours it really annoyed me that he wasn't aloud that time visiting didn't end until 1 pm

I was put after 24 hours with both mine which was great.. I pestered them non stop to let me home.. I couldn't deliver placenta first time but did second time so hopefully next time I can go with the midwives.. Sounds amazing.. Don't get me wrong was grand with both mine but after my daughter when I was back on the ward at 9am they ran my hubby out even though it was in the visiting hours it really annoyed me that he wasn't aloud that time visiting didn't end until 1 pm

I couldn't deal with that at all, the thoughts of not having my OH there for more than 10 minutes really scares me. Especially on a ward with other people looking at me and possibly even judging me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I couldn't deal with that at all, the thoughts of not having my OH there for more than 10 minutes really scares me. Especially on a ward with other people looking at me and possibly even judging me!

Why would other women in the same situation be judging you? I'm sure that we will all be too wrapped up in our own situations to be paying much attention to other patients, never mind anything else :)

Advertisement