Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pain relief options

Options
  • 26-08-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi Im 26 weeks pregnant with my third and I am a bit torn as to what to do this time around for pain relief.

My first was a five hour labour and I had an epidural, I dont want to have one again as I was left right up to the last minute with no relief and then complete numbness. I needed an episiotomy and had to have a bed bath after as I wasnt allowed get up.

My second was a two hour labour so there was no time for any drugs (I had made the decision not to have an epidural on number two but I would have liked something). I found it great as in I had full control over the labour and could listen to my body, no stitches after and a lovely hot shower :) . That being said it was bloody painful, I dont know if the contractions were more intense because of the quick labour :eek: .

So this time around I would like something a bit inbetween, Im sure gas and air would make me vomit everywhere as even having a nebuliser during an asthma attack many moons ago made me feel very ill :rolleyes: . I was looking into pethadine but again I have read it makes you dopey headed and I wouldnt like that.

Am I missing something?is there anything to take the edge off but still leave my brain completely grand? sorry for long post :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Have you thought about the TENS machine? I was planning on using one this time but looks like I'm going to end up with a section :-( They are meant to be good and don't have any side effects that affect you or the baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

A tens machine would probably be a good option... it seems like you have short labours so could be the perfect option. You can buy them, or Boots rent them out. Make sure that they have a boost button if you buy one.

Pethidine can cross over to the baby so I personally wouldn't use that as an option.

Does your hospital offer the option to labour in a birthing pool? The Coombe has birthing pools now (and while I've heard you can't actually give birth in them they are open for use during labour) and water is supposed to be a great pain reliever during labour.

Gas and air can be ok if it's used properly some people gulp it and that's what seems to cause the nausea... I had it on two births and found it fantastic before I got the epidural.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my slowest labour was 2 1/2 hours and I was adamant that I was having no pain relief, the 2nd was 34 minutes and I really wanted pain relief but of course was allowed nothing due to the speed but had a tens machine for distraction if nothing else but I was not allowed use it towards the end because babys heart rate dropped #3 was 33 minutes but far less traumatic and no tens machine because I forgot to buy new contact pads for it!!
    I was also not even allowed gas and air at the end due to the speed,I would have loved pethidine or something just to take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

my first labour (and only so far) was 14 hours.

I got to six cm just using the tens machine, dunno is it actually pain relief or a distraction, but it worked.

Baby was "back to back" and the pain was excruciating in my back, I also started to freak out and have a panic attack, they offered me Pethidine, which i had been adamant all along I didnt want, as I thought it wouldnt agree with me, and unlike gas and air, I knew I could just "Stop" taking the pethidine it would have to wear off.. But my god it was great, my partner said the difference he seen in me was instant. I relaxed, listened to my body, and went with the flow.

In the end I took the epidural too, and delivered my daughter 2 hours later, and didnt need any stitches.

I had gone into pregnancy and labour thinking I could do it all with out pain relief, and was disgusted with my self for needing so much.
    But at the end of the day, we both escaped unscathed, and the midwives were amazing.

I would probably use pethidine again, and hope to not have to need the epidural. I didnt like the gas and air, gave me an awful headache.

In the delivery room of Castlebar hospital they had the tens machine, as i hadnt even considered one. I found it also gave my partner something to do, he was on the controls, and it also gave me something to give out about telling him to "boost boost boost".. Looking back now the midwives must have gotten a great laugh!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

Thanks everyone for the replys im thinking ill try the gas and air and pethadioesee how i get on perhaps pethadine if im in agony i think my fear is them not agreeing with me and making me feel horrible.
    Moonbeam i thought mine arrived quickly but you have opened my eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2nd is normally quick orr so they say:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I know it probably has its drawbacks too Moonbeam, but I'm red jealous of your quick labours. :D

Don't rule out the gas and air OP. It could be grand.

I was advised to breathe it in only until the peak of the contraction and then take long deep breaths of air. Worked a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I know it probably has its drawbacks too Moonbeam, but I'm red jealous of your quick labours. :D

Don't rule out the gas and air OP. It could be grand.

I was advised to breathe it in only until the peak of the contraction and then take long deep breaths of air. Worked a treat.

Same advice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

tens machine all the way! it was great. i even still had it on after the birth and didnt realise. you can buy then from inhealth.ie. i also used gas and air which i didnt think i would be able use but i was. made me feel a bit funny. def recommend the TENS machine tho. ill be using it again this time but im goin in with an open mind as i know no 2 labours are the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Have you thought about spending some time labouring in water? I've been researching it a lot and it is supposed to really help with the pain. Even if your hospital doesn't have a pool, some time in a bath can really help. I still have my togs all packed even though it looks like a c section for me as she is staying resolutely breech:(. I'm gutted because I was really hoping for a natural birth. Last time had no stitches and was up and running around in no time.
    The pool at Cumh looks amazing, and the room won a design award. It is really under used too...
    There is another thread about birthing pool experiences that is worth a look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

And I meant to say massage too! I don't know who or if you'll have someone with you but counter pressure can ease the pain of contractions too. You can get a book called The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin on amazon and it is full of ideas for coping with labour (including the low down on all the drugs too) with some massage descriptions.
    My Physio was going to give my husband a one hour training session on me so he could learn about the right pressure etc to use.
    I think we might still be keeping that appointment c section or not:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I found gas and air didn't do anything but I could have been doing it wrong.

Re the birthing pool option, if hospital don't have a pool, are you in the catchment area for a homebirth, then you can have your own pool and comforts of home? Tis not for everyone though. I did have a homebirth but I didn't like the pool and abandoned it for the last few hours of labour.

Really the only thing that got me through was husband rubbing the crap out of my lower back during contractions. Like kneading dough

I found gas and air did nothing either except acted as a distraction and made me feel very woozie.

I dont think a homebirth would be for me I like the safety of the hospital incase something goes wrong. Thats what Im worried about moonbeam getting all woozie and ill from it. I wouldnt do the pool just because I liked getting up and moving around between contractions. Sure I might just try not have anything and see how I go last time happened so quick there wasnt time anyway so I might be wasting my time worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

First labour was 1hour 40 mins and tried the gas for half a min hated it so went without any pain relief which was great as I got home inside of 24 hours. Due number 2 next April and I'll defo go the same way. I was back to normal inside a week after the birth so I got it easy and I had no stitches either

I didn't need recovery time after #2 and #3 at all and was happily home the next day. I was in shock after both of them which is not pleasant but that only lasted about 2 hours then i would have happily gone home.
    I had stitches after #1 and was terrified of splitting them so was delighted to stay in for 3 days but I also had a private room and an en suite and it was lovely:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

If you breathe the gas and air in and out really quickly it will make you feel sick. But if you inhale when you feel the contraction coming and exhale for the length of the contraction it really does work. Sometimes though if labour isnt progressing it will eventually lose its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

If you breathe the gas and air in and out really quickly it will make you feel sick. But if you inhale when you feel the contraction coming and exhale for the length of the contraction it really does work. Sometimes though if labour isnt progressing it will eventually lose its appeal.

Yep I agree with this! I used a tens machine for the first while and then gas and air. It's not so much about pain relief for me but using something as a distraction. Concentrating on something other than the pain is what got me through. Another fast labour here, 3 hrs so when the contractions started coming thick and fast chomping on the gas and air inhaler was brilliant, it really focused me on my breathing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's exactly it for me, I found both pethadine and gas and air were more distractions than actual pain relief. With pethadine the distraction was to try to keep coordinated, and to not throw up... failed on both counts, fell off the bed I was on, and then threw up. I couldn't speak either with pethadine, which is why the midwives like it I suspect. Shut me up for a good half hour.

Gas and air did nothing either for me except distract me for maybe two or three contractions while I tried to figure out how to use it... followed by more vomiting.

Tens is yet another distraction technique. None of things are actual pain relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Would you consider hypnobirthing technique? Using your mind to cope with contractions. I had fast ( 3 hrs) home birth and it helped me to stay in control ( my midwife made it just to catch a baby:) also I managed pain no problem.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    That's exactly it for me, I found both pethadine and gas and air were more distractions than actual pain relief. With pethadine the distraction was to try to keep coordinated, and to not throw up... failed on both counts, fell off the bed I was on, and then threw up. I couldn't speak either with pethadine, which is why the midwives like it I suspect. Shut me up for a good half hour.

Gas and air did nothing either for me except distract me for maybe two or three contractions while I tried to figure out how to use it... followed by more vomiting.

Tens is yet another distraction technique. None of things are actual pain relief.

see thats what scares me I dont want to be out of it and I really dont want to throw up! I want to at least have control over the top half of my body :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used gas and air on both and found it fantastic. I did vomit both times but only when I forgot to use it properly. I'd recommend giving it a go first and if you feel you still need the epidural then ask for it. I almost asked for the epidural on my daughter. My labour went from zero to full on in an hour so the contractions were overwhelming. I probably was too far gone for it anyway but the reason I didn't ask was I knew if I stuck it out I'd be finished within an hour. I didn't want the epidural to slow it down.

I didn't want to use pethidine after seeing a baby being born on One Born Every Minute where it was floppy and purple from pethidine. That scared the bejesus out of me. The baby was fine afterwards thankfully but it was quite horrific to see it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I tried gas and air but found it useless. My contractions weren't very bad thankfully (all in my back). I did get an epidural though as I didn't want to push without it (I'm a woose when it comes to pain 'down there'). I got that when I was at 7cm. I was up and walking around less than an hour later.....after all the stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I couldn't get the nack of gas and air. I didn't use it in time when the contraction was coming so contraction had passed by the time it kicked in and I was left laughing at absolutely nothing while the midwife and OH laughed at me. When contractions got worse and I started using it more it started making me feel very sick.
    I got the epidural at 6cm had a sleep for an hour or 2 the was 10cm. Midwife had to turn epidural done as it was time to push and I couldn't feel anything. An hour later I could feel enough and started to push and LO was born. I did need an episiotomy by midwife and consultant but said I had absolutely fantastic muscles down there (like I really cared at that moment in time) so even though head was right there and I was pushing just wouldn't come out. The minute the mentioned forceps I had LO out.
    When I was getting the epidural a midwife moved me to straighten me just as I was getting the epidural and got such a bad head ache. They thought I had air trapped in my spine from the epidural but head ache passed once LO was born. I was up 3 hours after she was born going to the loo and up the next morning having a shower approx. 12 hours after she was born.
    Due again in march and probably will opt for epidural again.

is it really hard to keep still for it? I would be terrified that I would move and mess it al up. i think they would have to knock me out to get it near me,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Moonbeam wrote: »
    is it really hard to keep still for it? I would be terrified that I would move and mess it al up. i think they would have to knock me out to get it near me,

I think listening to other peoples stories frighten the life out of ya about the epidural! I didn't find it hard to keep still, I told them when I was having a contraction and they kind of just stopped what they were doing until it passed. I used the gas and air while they were doing it and found it all fine. They do ask you to hug a pillow(I presume to keep your back bent in a certain position) which I kept letting go of. Very hard to concentrate on all these things at once :)

On the gas and air, my sister and friend had explained to me very clearly how to use it properly and I found it good to take the edge off. And as soon as I felt woozy, I just took a bit deep breaths without it and it passed. But I know it doesn't agree with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Like was said i just told them when i was having a contraction. It was the silly midwife (thankfilly she was only there covering my mw lunch) who thought i looked crooked on the bed so decided to try straighten me. The same midwife complained about the room being too cold and closed the windows. Eh hello i was in labour absolutely roasting .
    My nornally very quiet OH actually lost the head with her when she moved me. . I gave her a right telling off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not at all, they wait for a gap between contractions, it only takes a few seconds. And they spray the skin with a mild anesthetic I think, you don't even feel it going in. It's also behind you, so you can't see it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

It took 9 attempts to get the epidural into my back! I've had a few injuries in my time! But I did manage to stay still through it all - I just told them there was a contraction coming and he waited till it passed! I am going to try and do it without epidural this time though I think I panicked the last time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

When I was being given my epidural, my contractions were coming every minute so it was so difficult to not move and yelp out in pain. I had to get my partner to stand in front of me and I just clasped on to him as much as I could when I felt the wave of pain coming. It took 3 gos before the anesthetis got the needle in. However, as soon as the needle hit my back I fell into a deep, happy sleep :). That was at 2.30a.m. I woke up at 7a.m completely spaced out, to find out from the midwive that I was 10cm dilated and could push when I felt like it. It definitely worked for me :D. However, not being able to feel myself push was very difficult and I ended up having a ventouse delivery. An epidural is not for someone who wants to be in complete control of their senses.

Advertisement