Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos out of fashion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

Paddy Cow wrote: »

she used to have a nice arse and now she ruined it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Had to Google her tattoo there.

Will possibly bring new meaning to the term "smelling of roses"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭worded

The new tatoo tax will put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

Anybody getting tattooed because it's popular will be sorry in a few years - tattoos go through fashion cycles like everything else, and if you got a dolphin, star, kanji or sugar skull BECAUSE its fashionable then you will have regrets.

However, I find the majority of people get tattooed from a deep personal want and it has nothing to do with being fashionable. Lots of people get tattoos with meanings and they help them overcome difficult times of their lives like the loss of a loved one. Other times people get something because they want it. It's enough of a reason, it's their body.

I just wish the artists were given the freedom to create what they are capable of more rather than copying the same image over that's been floating around Pinterest for the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Each to their own as I said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

However, I find the majority of people get tattooed from a deep personal want and it has nothing to do with being fashionable.

I really think those people are very much in the minority. Certainly among the tattooed lads and lassies that I know.

It has often been spur of the moment 'I must get a tatoo'. Most of them regret after a bit as well. Certainly in their thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What the fu@k is fashion anyway ?

Fu@k Fashion.

I've been collecting tattoos for twenty five years and will continue to collect them for another twenty five.

I have two full sleeves and half my back done. And they are not done for anyones behalf except for mine. So With the greatest respect, most serious tattoo collectors couldn't give a damn for people's opinions or what is in 'vogue'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

come to think of it i bet her arse look like a baboons arse from a distance

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ah another one of these threads.

A well done individual tattoo is in effect a work of art that you wear with you as you walk around.

As or whether Ill be worried what my ink looks like when Im 70--I honestly think that will be the least of my worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

On the hole....yes they are

Eh eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So me having tattoos is meant to be offensive to you? Please excuse me while I pop off to the loo to find two shíts to give.

... and half my back done. And they are not done for anyones behalf except for mine.

Serious question. Why get your back done if just for yourself? I rarely see my back tbh. It's not like your sleeves or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

I really think those people are very much in the minority. Certainly among the tattooed lads and lassies that I know.

It has often been spur of the moment 'I must get a tatoo'. Most of them regret after a bit as well. Certainly in their thirties.

My artist is booked until November - no tattoos on a whim there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I dont mind tattoos if people have them i dont think no less no more of them.

I personally dont see the need for them or the point in them but body art has been round for hundreds if not thousands of years so its not just a fashion thing so wont be going anywhere tattoos are here to stay.

P_1 wrote: »
    So me having tattoos is meant to be offensive to you? Please excuse me while I pop off to the loo to find two shíts to give.

I only wonder sometimes what people were thinking. Like when I see someone driving a Punto or a Daihatsu Charade.

A lot of tattoos are woeful. It's nothing to do with tattoos in general, just their conception and execution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

miamee wrote: »
    I don't think tattoos are going away, they have been around for hundreds of years at least.
    A very long history, at least 5000 years. Otzi the iceman had em, though one theory has it they were for medicinal purposes of all things. Body art seems to be even older a practice, going way back into the late stone age. Evidence of such pigments show up pretty early in modern humans*. Sadly tattoos don't preserve, unless in truly exceptional circumstances like being deep frozen like Otzi. I dunno if the various bog bodies from here and the rest of europe have tattoos? I suppose body paint would lead quickly enough to more permanent tattooing. Somebody probably noticed if soot or whatever went into a scratch it remained after healing. So tattoos could be a very old artform. Maybe even before cave painting and stuff. Mobile art. Just an odd notion that springs... maybe it even influenced cave painting? If you're tattooed on your own body, maybe painting "tattoos" on the surface of mother earth made sense?

That said I'm generally not a fan of the modern "western" tradition of tattoos. Some can look OK, but wouldn't be into it myself. For me? One or two OK, especially personal ones that actually mean something. Whole limbs obscured I'm thinking ugh. Ones on or near the face = Do not want. Homemade ones = good jesus. I knew one bloke who got one on his head. Must hurt like fook.:eek: Bit of a problem though. He was 20-22 at the time, but the bald gene was inevitable in his family. All shiny eggheads by 30. I'd say he regrets that now.

Again personally I'd draw a line(no pun) between people, enthusiasts who are really into tattoos as a personal artform and those who just have a couple, almost as a whim/fashion statement/thing to do. The former I'd say fair play, even though it's not my bag. It's their bodies and their thing. Doesn't affect me.

I suspect there's quite the element of social silence on the matter of popularity. What I mean is, someone you know gets a tattoo, they show it off to their mates and no one will say "oh jesus that's pretty awful" or whatever out of politeness. Or at least I've never heard that. I have heard in private after a person left plenty of rumblings ranging from "I'd never do that" to "wtf were they thinking". So I'd reckon a fair number of peeps are out there in the dark about what people actually may think of them.

*Interestingly it looks like Neandertal folks were at the body paint stuff before we were and we may have even copied them. They collected all sorts of pigments. Seemed to favour blacks and reds. They even crushed up mica to make the pigments sparkly which is dead fash these days. This was 50,000 plus years ago so nothin new under the sun. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I only wonder sometimes what people were thinking. Like when I see someone driving a Punto or a Daihatsu Charade.

A lot of tattoos are woeful. It's nothing to do with tattoos in general, just their conception and execution.
    I just Google image searched 'bad tattoos'. The stuff of nightmares.

My artist is booked until November - no tattoos on a whim there!

Fair dues. But like I say, minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah yeah there are a lot of howlers of tattoos out there to be fair, but to use your motoring analogy you can have a Mercedes Benz kind of tattoo where a lot of time, effort, design and craftmanship is evident and a Lada type of tattoo where they are lacking.

miamee wrote: »
    I just Google image searched 'bad tattoos'. The stuff of nightmares.

There's a guy on youtube gets the hipster glasses tattooed on his boat race.

That is epically ill judged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Serious question. Why get your back done if just for yourself? I rarely see my back tbh. It's not like your sleeves or whatever.

What I mean when I say that my tattoos are for myself is that they were not done for the approval of others. Certain tattoos look better on certain parts of the body and believe me, my body is not for showing off.

P_1 wrote: »
    Ah yeah there are a lot of howlers of tattoos out there to be fair, but to use your motoring analogy you can have a Mercedes Benz kind of tattoo where a lot of time, effort, design and craftmanship is evident and a Lada type of tattoo where they are lacking.

Agree. But there's also the sameyness of so many. Like the skulls / swallows / so called old school sailory ones.

Like they mean or meant something to some people, at one time, marked an event or a milestone or whatever, but that doesn't apply to some haircut from Hounslow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Agree. But there's also the sameyness of so many. Like the skulls / swallows / so called old school sailory ones.

Like they mean or meant something to some people, at one time, marked an event or a milestone or whatever, but that doesn't apply to some haircut from Hounslow.

Pretty much every tattoo you could ever get will be similar to others. There are no 100% unique, never done before, never seen before tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

What the fu@k is fashion anyway ?

Fu@k Fashion.

I've been collecting tattoos for twenty five years and will continue to collect them for another twenty five.

I have two full sleeves and half my back done. And they are not done for anyones behalf except for mine. So With the greatest respect, most serious tattoo collectors couldn't give a damn for people's opinions or what is in 'vogue'.

I suppose fashion is when one likes a certain look ( in this case body art ) on other people and imitates what they see on themselves, even back thousands of years ago this must have been the case.

As for being a tattoo ' collector ' well I guess I will never understand this hobby, different strokes for different folks.

The part when you say your tattoo on your back is ' for yourself ' I would say that a lot of people with this type of large tattoo in a place like that are really only looking for a situation where they can take the top off an see other peoples reaction to same.
    Its like in those martial arts movies or that one with De Niro in prison where they take off their top revealing an array of ' art ' with the intent of having an effect on the viewer about the ' collector ', like ' Oh Jesus, better not mess with this guy he's part of the Triads or whatever ' or ' That guy has done time, best stay clear '.

We all I presume like a bit of admiration from other folk and I don't think tattoo collectors would be any different.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Pretty much every tattoo you could ever get will be similar to others. There are no 100% unique, never done before, never seen before tattoos.

Similar maybe. But I'm talking about recognised motifs ie the 2 swallows / koi thing.

I'm pretty sure with some effort and collaboration most people could come up with fairly unique drawings with which to permanently ink skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Chineze riting is deadly. cant beat a bit o chineze riting... or a dolfin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sky King wrote: »
    Chineze riting is deadly. cant beat a bit o chineze riting... or a dolfin.

Thank fook you're not a tattoo artist with spelling like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

jesus wept:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

That is fooking horrible.

Also think anybody who tattoos a persons face should be locked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dragons and koi look great but I just think with a culture and history as rich as ours (Irish) and all our mythology etc we wouldn't, as Irish people, any need to co-opt another culture's symbols etc.

Thats why I'm getting a ****ehawk done, a creature of irish myth.

Advertisement