Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos out of fashion

Options
  • 25-08-2013 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Given the obvious popularity in tattoos at present, what do you guys think, will it become once again not fashionable to be covered in ink ?
    I mean look at the latest adverts with Beckham in for example, I think a small part of him must regret going so far with the needle.
    All it will take is for some cool celebs to promote a 'clean' or 'pure' look and the tatts with become non desirable again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If something is popular, some people will do it.
    If something is unpopular, some other people will do it.

Tattoos ain't goin' nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate the 'sleeves' look on a man, it's too much, something which you might regret, I mean you can hide your shoulders and upper arm but you can't hide the arms full length all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MadsL wrote: »

That looks like a mutation. How is that attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Looks cool enough, painful maybe ? but cool enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate the 'sleeves' look on a man, it's too much, something which you might regret, I mean you can hide your shoulders but you can't hide the arms full length all of the time.

They can suit some men very well, though. I know a guy who would have to dress formally for work yet wouldn't think twice about rolling his sleeves up at some point during the day. He's a very good looking guy and they suit him equally as well and wouldn't make him look rough at all.

It really depends on the tattoo and the man with them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Sinfonia wrote: »
    If something is popular, some people will do it.
    If something is unpopular, some other people will do it.

Tattoos ain't goin' nowhere.

I see your point but don't you think these latest looks come and go in circles ?
    For example the guy who invented the flared pants must have thought they would never go out of vogue, granted they came back again ( and went again ) over a decade ago but people do get bored of the latest look all the time and quickly move onto the next 'cool thing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I feel sorry for Tattooed people & the money they paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hootanany wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Tattooed people & the money they paid?

Hey - "Only God Can Jugde Me" brah!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Not Judging anyone, I just think they are stupid defiling their bodies with chinese writing for "Chantell or Ronan" on the back of the neck.

• Advertisement

Not Judging anyone, I just think they are stupid defiling their bodies with chinese writing for "Chantell or Ronan" on the back of the neck.

I'm not judging anyone but they are stupid. Oh right. Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Good tattooing goes waaaayyy beyond those little things.

Even if they come to regret it, "defiling" is a bit much, don't you think? They probably sit round thinking how stupid non-tattoo'd prudes are :rolleyes:

As mentioned, a lot of tattoos can be quite tasteful, and there's a high degree of skill going into both the design (which a lot of people come up with themselves) and the actual tattoo itself.

Incidentally, I'm not tattoo'd, but I'm not prudish about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't mind them at all, all though I would not be to fond of the ones on the neck,just my opinion :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I was up in the national aquatic centre a few weeks back, would say at least half the people there had a tattoo. Some suited people, but some were hideous. I'm convinced some of those oriental signs mean nothing, or something like 'chicken curry and rice' that a Chinese guy could have a laugh at. The whole kids tattooed is tacky IMO , especially when the kids names are derived from current soap stars / footballers / grazia. One fella had this Indian from the Wild West on his shoulder, didn't quite work as he imagined, it looked so comical. Was dying to ask what it was about. Each to their own with tattoos, but there's some howlers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I think tattoos will always be popular with fit, athletic young people and some of them look well. However, it's not a pretty sight when it all goes south. Young people don't tend to take that in to consideration at the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

They only suit certain people. I have seen women done up to the nines and a fecking rose or butterfly stuck on their arms or chest ewwwwww just wrong, while others can carry it off. I also think it depends on the body, looks good on athletic types. I hate hate hate the tattoos on lower back on women, there was a time there when everyone and their granny had it done. As for men again only some can carry them off, depends on man, tattoo and his general style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My only visible ones are on my feet and I can choose to hide these when I want!

Personal decision to have or not have them! No point knocking someone who does or doesn't have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Even if tattoos went out of fashion, people would still get them. I didn't get any of mine because of fashion. I'd be a fcuking idiot if I did something permanent to my body because it's 'fashionable.'

Saying that people don't take into consideration what they'll look like when things 'go south' is bollocks.

I know full well (as does anybody I know with tattoos) that my tattoos will look awful 50 years from now.

I also know that 50 years from now, I won't be attractive anyway, I'll be old, wrinkly and gross, and would prefer to have those ugly, wrinkled blobs that my tattoos will be by then, because I can look at them and remember things I've come through, good memories and anything else that my tattoos might mean to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

yea i believe it's very popular with all the cool cows.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that's scarification rather than branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

My only visible ones are on my feet and I can choose to hide these when I want!

Personal decision to have or not have them! No point knocking someone who does or doesn't have them

yes but what's your opinion on cheryl coles latest tattoo work? have you seen it?
    i think its just wrong and sadly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well if they go out of fashion people can just wash them off....oh no wait!?!?

Or they can use the savings deposit fund they set up for just this eventuality to pay for the 5 figure sum laser removal....oh no wait!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

The only really great tatoo I've seen was simple as could be, the guy's in his fifties and it's a a neat design incorporating 'liberty' into it. Really suits him and his way. It's just cool as fvck.

As for the people who are tatoo mad, covering themselves in ink, I think it's a bit of an addiction needs controlling.

The worst bit is the wish to express their individuality with the same tattoos as everybody else in the 'tattoo community'. It's like many seek approval and external validation from their inked peers.

Tribal - snigger.
    2 swallows - fantastic as everybody's doing it. Sugar skull - everybody has it, I'm getting it as I'm so individual.

Dragons and koi look great but I just think with a culture and history as rich as ours (Irish) and all our mythology etc we wouldn't, as Irish people, any need to co-opt another culture's symbols etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Haven't seen cherlys new one

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I think Cheryl's new tat is fab. Suits her... Wouldn't suit many though. Just like David beckhams suit him. Like princess Lala, my foot tattoo would have been the one most visible but I can choose to hide that. Both my wrists are tattooed now and harder to cover but I don't 'cover' them. If I'm wearing something that happens to cover then so beit. But it's certainly a personal choice. I mean I just don't understand those of you who aren't tattooed!!!!!!

JOKE!!!! I don't really care if you are or aren't tattooed :pac:

I'm not a massive fan of Cheryl Cole's new tattoo. At the same time, it's done by a world reknowned artist (I was raving about how much I like the artist only a few days before the pics of her tattoo were released :pac: ), it's a nice design, a well done tattoo, and if she's happy with it, fair play to her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've none but wouldn't be totally against getting one at some point. I think they have to mean something to you personally though and where it went is something that would have to be carefully thought about.

I don't think tattoos are going away, they have been around for hundreds of years at least. The only thing that changes is the type of people who get them, what tattoos they get and how widespread they are.
    Read a short article a while ago about the tattoos on the bodies of Irish emigrants to New York in (possibly) the 19th century. Some were symbolic images or the name of their town or a girl left behind. Some were purely functional though with their own name tattooed on their hand or arm. I presume this was in case they fell overboard on the way or were killed and unidentified in other ways, which was sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Haven't seen cherlys new one
    You couldn't miss it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

tattoos on older women just look so wrong..they might look cute in their 20s but once they get to their 40s especially colour tattoo is fading is not good look

Advertisement