Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non alcomoholic beer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Get down to an offie or deli with a good selection and take a punt on something with an unusual name. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Kraftvank geibeer is it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yep, had some of those. They taste terrible too. I just don't like the beer taste. Just me though. But I suspect a lot of beer drinkers feel the same, even about the good stuff.

Why drink something you don't like? I love tasty beer, I brew my own as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Yep, had some of those. They taste terrible too. I just don't like the beer taste. Just me though. But I suspect a lot of beer drinkers feel the same, even about the good stuff.

Who would drink stuff they don't like? :confused:

Anyway, the best out of the non alcoholic beer I've tasted was the Erdinger stuff in the blue bottle. Thought it was quite tasty for a non alco beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Why drink something you don't like?
    Who would drink stuff they don't like?

My thoughts exactly. I don't, but apparently others do. One reason given to me a few times was because it's what men are supposed to drink. I dunno, don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Are any of them fully non-alcoholic? Or do they all have a little tiny bit left over?

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    There's always the option to drink some kiddy drinks instead, like WKD and the like ;)

I love beer but I also love vodka and club lemon or 7up, gin and tonic, jameson etc. Plenty of non beer options other than crap like WKD.
    The problem is not that beer tastes awful, but that the beers available to the average punter are mass produced industrial ****e produced for profit not taste.

Mass produced industrial lager beer served in your average ****ehole pub does indeed taste ****e. It is not brewed to have any character. There is little difference between the house lagers of Fosters, Carlsberg, Carling, Harp et al. I doubt anyone could taste the difference.

However, in recent years in the UK there was a re-action to that called CAMRA, or the Campaign For Real Ale. Mainly focussed on hand pulled beer, which has no gas.

More recently especially in the US there has been a "movement" if you can call it that called "Craft Beer" which is a reaction to the utter tasteless ****e which is American lager.

In London there are quite a few "Craft Brew" pubs and the beers are popping up in Dublin.

Get down to an offie or deli with a good selection and take a punt on something with an unusual name. You might be pleasantly surprised.

See I hate all these craft beers and brewery pubs beers and I really dislike real English ale, its too warm and too flat. Give me Guinness and Smithwicks in the pub or cans of Bavaria for the house and I wouldn't swap them for any of the fancy (and quite expensive) beers people are mad into these days which mostly taste like crap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I love beer but I also love vodka and club lemon or 7up, gin and tonic, jameson etc. Plenty of non beer options other than crap like WKD.

Yup, gotta love the snobbery. :D All from a nitwit nectar enthusiast! :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Does the non alco beer work as a placebo?

As in would someone think they be getting drunk while drinking no alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've never understood alcohol free beer. Why would you bother drinking something if you don't want the effect of it?

because the decent alcohol free beers (there are some of them!!) taste like beer and go down a lot nicer than coke / 7up on a night that you have to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sisters Fanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

kingtut wrote: »
    because the decent alcohol free beers (there are some of them!!) taste like beer and go down a lot nicer than coke / 7up on a night that you have to drive.

A lot of people don't realise you can drink nice tasting beers. They think beer is for getting drunk, no matter what it taste like. It's why people drink Fosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

It's a good sports recovery drink!

Grayditch wrote: »
    A lot of people don't realise you can drink nice tasting beers. They think beer is for getting drunk, no matter what it taste like. It's why people drink Fosters.

For alcohol free beers I'd have to say Erdinger and Paulaner are my favourites (the alcohol ones are very nice too!!). Can't stand Becks, both the alcohol and alcohol free are tasteless IMO.

For alcohol free beers I'd have to say Erdinger and Paulaner are my favourites (the alcohol ones are very nice too!!). Can't stand Becks, both the alcohol and alcohol free are tasteless IMO.

Hated the Erdinger one, but loved the Paulaner one, strangely. NA Becks is the nearest thing to a semi decent lager. I probably wouldn't go near regular Becks on a night out. NA Becks is just the best of a bad situation sometimes :)

Grayditch wrote: »
    Hated the Erdinger one, but loved the Paulaner one, strangely. NA Becks is the nearest thing to a semi decent lager. I probably wouldn't go near regular Becks on a night out. NA Becks is just the best of a bad situation sometimes :)

To me becks just taste of nothing :o

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of places that have alcohol free beers don't maintain the stock and what you get has usually past its best before date. While some beers taste okay after the best before date some don't and when I am paying for it I want a fresh product !!

So lads, check the labels on the alcohol free stuff :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mass produced industrial lager beer served in your average ****ehole pub does indeed taste ****e. It is not brewed to have any character. There is little difference between the house lagers of Fosters, Carlsberg, Carling, Harp et al. I doubt anyone could taste the difference.

Carling, Harp and Fosters taste very different from each other. Carling even has a texture/feel to it that you don't get in most of the other "mass produced sh*te" as you so eloquently put it.

More recently especially in the US there has been a "movement" if you can call it that called "Craft Beer" which is a reaction to the utter tasteless ****e which is American lager.

A lot of those "Craft Beers" are backed by breweries run by the companies that have beers available as "mass produced industrial ****e." Coors in particular have been very successful with it.

I won't be surprised if I picked up something I never heard of and liked it. It's what I've spent most of my life doing. Can't stand that sort of talk when it comes to booze. What people like is down to taste, leave the snobbery to the wine merchants.

To me becks just taste of nothing :o

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of places that have alcohol free beers don't maintain the stock and what you get has usually past its best before date. While some beers taste okay after the best before date some don't and when I am paying for it I want a fresh product !!

So lads, check the labels on the alcohol free stuff :)

Yep. Very good point. I must go re-check an Erdinger, cause the one I tasted seemed very off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

See I hate all these craft beers and brewery pubs beers.

You obviously haven't tasted many craft beers then.
    The craft beers they have where I live in the west coast of Canada and also in the US are great.
    Give me Guinness and Smithwicks in the pub or cans of Bavaria for the house.

Not a fan of Smithwicks never liked it. Not keen on Bavaria either, don't mind Guinness when it's done right.
    I guess people have different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Anyway - no you cant get them out of the alcohol isle in late night shops so ....thats about it.

Take care people.

And remember -

If its clear and yella, thats juice there fella.
    If its dark and brown you're in cider town.

Advertisement