Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non alcomoholic beer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Best non alcoholic beer is becks in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bought some Dubai non alcoholic beers a few months back - takeaway from a Halal restaurant; didn't read the labels. Really should have put some thought into where they were from (clue: alcohol prohibiting society). Utterly gutted when I arrived home after 10pm to discover the truth.
    They're still sitting there. I've offered them to loads of people. Time to meet Mr plughole methinks.

Not as bad as two friends of mine who only realised it was non-alcoholic after 4 bottles each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

They often end up giving away fthe Alcohol free beer for free in the Abbots Ale House here in Cork.
    Probably due to a mix of the shorter shelf life and no one buying it, picked up many a bottle on a beer run.

I've tried a good few out of curiosity, mostly German Weiss beers but also the Cobra one.
    Didn't think any of them were outright terrible, but they are an acquired taste, but go well at the likes of a bbq where you're the one driving everyone home.

I'd still prefer a bottled German Alcohol-Free beer than a lot of the cheaper pissy tasting canned beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nice to be able to have the feeling of having a few beers without the hangover in the morning :)

But your not having the feeling of a few beers, you're just pissing a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do they still make Kaliber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Bought some Dubai non alcoholic beers a few months back - takeaway from a Halal restaurant; didn't read the labels. Really should have put some thought into where they were from (clue: alcohol prohibiting society). Utterly gutted when I arrived home after 10pm to discover the truth.
    They're still sitting there. I've offered them to loads of people. Time to meet Mr plughole methinks.

Have you considered adding some of the hand gel sanitiser to it ? , quite a bit of alcohol in some of them , though I dont know bout your eyesight or sanity after drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I drink non alcoholic when I'm driving, to answer all the people asking WHY would you drink that. I drink it in the bar instead of coke because it usually stops people asking OMG why are you not drinking. I just dont tell them it's non alcoholic.

People in Ireland have a real problem with people not drinking. It creeps them out.

The two best I've had are Becks and Paulaner. Theyvre not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do they still make Kaliber?

Having researched non-alcoholic beers extensively over the last month, it seems Kaliber is not on the market any longer. My father in law has to stay away from alcohol because of a massive stroke and interaction with medication... but trying to tell him he can't drink doesn't seem to be working (keeps asking to be brought to the pub... gets upset when we won't), the non alcohol version is keeping us going for now... seems to be placating him.

January wrote: »
    Having researched non-alcoholic beers extensively over the last month, it seems Kaliber is not on the market any longer. My father in law has to stay away from alcohol because of a massive stroke and interaction with medication... but trying to tell him he can't drink doesn't seem to be working (keeps asking to be brought to the pub... gets upset when we won't), the non alcohol version is keeping us going for now... seems to be placating him.

He should be able to have a couple of pints every now and again even if he is taking warfarin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

He should be able to have a couple of pints every now and again even if he is taking warfarin

We've been specifically told by medical professionals to not let him drink alcohol ever again. We asked, believe me... my father in law used to enjoy a can or two most nights of the week, which is why we asked. He's on Pradaxa and a cocktail of other tablets that I can't even remember the name of... and while we've researched that one or two drinks now and then is fine with Pradaxa, the doctors and nurses have really warned us off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Club Shandy would do you!! Can you still get that??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

*Sheds a tear*

You want what?

Why would you upset me like this?!

:(

January wrote: »
    We've been specifically told by medical professionals to not let him drink alcohol ever again. We asked, believe me... my father in law used to enjoy a can or two most nights of the week, which is why we asked. He's on Pradaxa and a cocktail of other tablets that I can't even remember the name of... and while we've researched that one or two drinks now and then is fine with Pradaxa, the doctors and nurses have really warned us off it.

Thats a pity

I'd still prefer a bottled German Alcohol-Free beer than a lot of the cheaper pissy tasting canned beers.

I have the cheap cans before the German beer with the alcohol myself never mind the alcohol free ones :pac:. Weiss beer is absolutely awful stuff, the smell of it is enough to turn my stomach.

Basq wrote: »
    Non-alcoholic beer will leave you gassier than a jew's lungs in The Holocaust..

.. don't bother!

OT: And people get infracted for posting their dislike of Knackers... :rolleyes:

But I ain't a Jew to be reporting this as morbidly offensive though.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    OT: And people get infractured for posting their dislike of Knackers... :rolleyes:

Infractured , a whole new level of infraction.

mattjack wrote: »
    Infractured , a whole new level of infraction.

/sigh

//edits

/sigh

//edits

Give over , don't take yourself to serious , I'm only having a bit of fun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I was in my local off licence a while ago and the guy behind the counter was telling me he has a very respectable looking lady who often comes in to buy non-alcoholic beers. One time she revealed that she was an alcoholic and this was how she copped with the problem. She had tried them all out and settled on Paulaner, as it was the closest to the real thing for her.

TLDR?

Paulaner non alcoholic beer, the choice of alcoholics....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tabnabs wrote: »

TLDR?

Might be a thing with non alcoholic Weissbier in itself. I know of another guy who drinks the Erdinger NA stuff because it feels as satisfying as a beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I was in my local off licence a while ago and the guy behind the counter was telling me he has a very respectable looking lady who often comes in to buy non-alcoholic beers. One time she revealed that she was an alcoholic and this was how she copped with the problem. She had tried them all out and settled on Paulaner, as it was the closest to the real thing for her.

TLDR?

Good point, never do a round with these ex alcoholics, that fake beer crap can cost 6-7 quid in a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭justanotherone

I have had the " pleasure " of drinking around I would think 50 plus different varieties of non-alcoholic (defined as under 0.05%) and low alcohol beer (defined as under 0.5%). I lived in the hope of finding one that might at least be a refreshing alternative. Basically, non alcoholic lager is crap.

Despite some folk swearing by one particular brand, I am afraid that when it comes to lager, they pretty much all taste the same, and they are all crap. The only way of getting by is to ensure they are cold, bloody cold. Because then, you don't actually taste it as oppose to have the sensation of a cold, bubbly drink. Some of them are passable if cold. Once they warm a little, you get to actually taste them, and that is a pretty grim experience.

Obviously I tried all the usual suspects such as Kaliber, Becks Blue, Bitburger and so on. However, I thought I was fortunate to obtain Non Alcholic versions of such brands as Stella Artois, Holsten and even the best German and Czech lagers, such as as a Non Acoholic version of the original lager beer Budweiser Budvar, which I hoped to be the holy grail.

I am afraid to report, they are as ****e as the rest. The minute the cap came off, you got that damp Wheetabix smell. Even the ones you had some hope for tasted no different to Kaliber etc. I'm afraid with the alcohol removed, the taste goes too.

If you really want a non acoholic beers, the best thing to do is to look beyond lager, and go for a non alcoholic beer of a different style. Obviously Germans have the widest range of beer styles. And in Germany, every brewery will make a non alcoholic version. Of course, it is a local product, and none are going to get as far as a Dublin convenience store. However some of the best are Wheatbeer or Weissbier. It's not bad, as Wheatbear actually tastes of something, so you get a taste of something, and a proper frothy head, which non alcoholic lagers do not seem to be able to sustain.

In Dublin I am sure it would be possible to find the leading export variety of this which is ERDINGER BLUE. Try and find it. It is an enjoyable refreshing drink. In Germany it is marketed as a "Sports Drink" due to being "Isotonic".

The other one I would recommend is SUPER BOCK NON ALCOHOLIC STOUT. Before anyone gets too excited, they call it stout because it is black. It is not stout as would be known in Ireland. It is more comparable to a "Black Lager" which have become popular in Germany and Czech. Guiness did a short lived one, which went the same way as all their other "brand extensions". Being black, I guess there is more residue of the ingredients. It is found in deli's that cater to Portuguese / Spanish and Brazillians. I certainly found it in London, dunno if you could find it in Dublin. As a non alcholic lager, it is the best of a bad bunch, and does at least have a unique taste.

Have a look here. Dunno if they would deliver to Dublin, but it might give a few ideas.

http://www.lono.co.uk/drink-alcoholfree-beercider-c-61_72.html?page=2&sort=20a

And as for the non alcoholis wine ..... utter ****e !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've never understood alcohol free beer. Why would you bother drinking something if you don't want the effect of it?
    beer no alcohol, no alcohol beer, beer no alcohol......failing to compute :confused:

Yes, its a crazy thought. I saw a guy drinking virgin cuba libre the other day, mental stuff, whats the point. :rolleyes:

The people who are confused presumably simply do not actually like beer. I know a guy who was really surprised when I said I like the taste of beer, he solely drank it to get drunk and did not enjoy the taste, he drank budweiser as it was the most devoid of taste of common beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I would have been like "woah, wheres the alcohol?!" A WHILE AGO, BUT SINCE BEING WITH SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY ONLY REALLY DRANK BECAUSE THEY LIKED THE TASTE OR CERTAIN BEER, i HAVE TO ADmit that that way of thinking made sense and grew on me! :)
    It actually is nice to pick up a non alcoholic beer once in a while, just because you like the taste, and then wake up feeling no different and fresh as you would usually :D Erdinger non alcoholic is nice I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've never understood alcohol free beer. Why would you bother drinking something if you don't want the effect of it?

Yeah, I mean, the stuff tastes cack (yep, even the "good" beer), so why would you bother?

Yeah, I mean, the stuff tastes cack (yep, even the "good" beer), so why would you bother?

There's always the option to drink some kiddy drinks instead, like WKD and the like ;)

There's always the option to drink some kiddy drinks instead, like WKD and the like ;)

Gin is a kiddy drink?

Beer tastes awful, and interestingly I've had some beer drinkers admit that to me! ;););););)

The problem is not that beer tastes awful, but that the beers available to the average punter are mass produced industrial ****e produced for profit not taste.

Mass produced industrial lager beer served in your average ****ehole pub does indeed taste ****e. It is not brewed to have any character. There is little difference between the house lagers of Fosters, Carlsberg, Carling, Harp et al. I doubt anyone could taste the difference.

However, in recent years in the UK there was a re-action to that called CAMRA, or the Campaign For Real Ale. Mainly focussed on hand pulled beer, which has no gas.

More recently especially in the US there has been a "movement" if you can call it that called "Craft Beer" which is a reaction to the utter tasteless ****e which is American lager.

In London there are quite a few "Craft Brew" pubs and the beers are popping up in Dublin.

Get down to an offie or deli with a good selection and take a punt on something with an unusual name. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement

Yep, had some of those. They taste terrible too. I just don't like the beer taste. Just me though. But I suspect a lot of beer drinkers feel the same, even about the good stuff.

Advertisement