Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ vs. Australia, match preview & thread, Sat 24 Aug, 0835 Irish time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

LVR, I take it back. He might only need 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Ben Smith is so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    Only problem is age isn't on his side. To get near the record he'd need about 7 years in the team. Can't see him still being there at 34!

Pfff! 3 x 15 games and he's there!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Australia gave away some stupid peno's for sure but this ref is giving everything to the Blacks. Such a shame he is not consistent on the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

matthew8 wrote: »
    Ben Smith is so lucky.

I don't know, he just does all the basics any back should do, and he does it extremely well. He's always in the right position.

He's also extremely fast. I didnt realise his top pace was so good.

His experience as a centre helps as well, his hands and break are top notch.

I've always been a fan, thought he'd be a perfect fit at Leinster because of the way they play, but I'm surprised how well he's taken to the ABs. A duck to water.

• Advertisement

Half-time summary if you are just joining the action:

Essentially Australia has been much improved - but crucially - did not put enough points on the board (although may have had a try if ref had gone upstairs), and NZ absorbed the pressure (could maybe have conceded a YC) and then struck back twice through NZ's man of the moment Ben Smith. As my esteemed colleague .ak pointed out, Smith shows that skinny white men can still foot it with Polynesian brutes.

Toomua has been much better this week so far, taking on the line, while Tom Taylor has been pretty nerveless, although missed a couple of kicks he would normally expect to get.

Australia need to strike early in the 2nd half, and somehow Folau needs to get more involved. NZ has a better bench, so it could be a long half for the Aussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Squeaky bum time there on 38 mins as I had ABs more than 14.5 in first half. That 2nd Ben Smith try was all down to Richie McCaw's excellent snaffling of the loose ball ... way to go. :D

.ak wrote: »
    I don't know, he just does all the basics any back should do, and he does it extremely well. He's always in the right position.

He's also extremely fast. I didnt realise his top pace was so good.

His experience as a centre helps as well, his hands and break are top notch.

I've always been a fan, thought he'd be a perfect fit at Leinster because of the way they play, but I'm surprised how well he's taken to the ABs. A duck to water.

Exactly. He's just like Doug. Nothing flashy but reads the game perfectly. And he is surprisingly fast out of the blocks, luckily he is tied to NZ until 2017 :), because his asking price must be skyrocketing.

I wonder will he bring Quade in?

Sloopy again in the red zone

• Advertisement

10-12 for Australia are just horrible defenders...torn apart every time.

Cooper is no worse than that and bring tons more in attack.

Australia blew tries there for sure. JOC - pass. Hooper - pass.

Load of absolute rubbish from ref. ABs could have 3 yellows by now. McCaw playing the ball lying on his belly.

Ref is poor but lets face it this Australia team are all over the place in terms of taking there chances!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,305 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Theres way to many penalties due mainly to the ref being totally inconsistent.

Australia may not have a better chance to score a try... And I have horwill at 30/1 to score first try for aussies :(

Australia have a better chance to score 50 meter's out than 5.

Damning statement that

matthew8 wrote: »
    Load of absolute rubbish from ref. ABs could have 3 yellows by now. McCaw playing the ball lying on his belly.

Your compatriot has been fairly generous. But it's not the reason Aussie are losing.

Ewan Mckenzie has not changed anything about this culture or team. Its just the same as Deans tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What hands in the scrum? The ball was out?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,305 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ewan Mckenzie has not changed anything about this culture or team. Its just the same as Deans tbh!

Can't judge this team in two games versus the no 1 world team.

In fairness toomua is getting his chance to show, so is mogg and simmons.

Theyre just not as good as the abs, no shame there.

• Advertisement

Cooper is the answer that tooma lad is just too flat...he is not getting chaps running onto the ball.

Finally Mackenzie is bringing him in.

Time for some fun, Quade's on.

Aussie scrum still dross. It's been going on for so long now there should be an official enquiry.

Genia putting all the pressure back on his team.

How long does it take to kick the ball!

Genia putting all the pressure back on his team.

How long does it take to kick the ball!

Before the last 2 weeks, Genia was my all time greatest scrumhalf. But I'm back to Joost.

Genia may as well not be on the pitch.

Completely outplayed by Smith. Genia looking at the high ball land.

So bad!

Before the last 2 weeks, Genia was my all time greatest scrumhalf. But I'm back to Joost.

Been awful tonight!

Oz has no 9-10 axis tonight

The much maligned James O Conner has been the best player on the park for Australia with Mowen tonight.

Delighted to see the talent prove himself.

So much for Mogg's boot.

• Advertisement

Mogg has got to learn to do more than kick up and unders. I've seen this guy run and he can do it.

Advertisement