Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ vs. Australia, match preview & thread, Sat 24 Aug, 0835 Irish time

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

NEW ZEALAND: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Tom Taylor, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (capt), 6 Steven Luatua, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock.
    Replacements: 16 Dane Coles, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Jeremy Thrush, 20 Sam Cane, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Colin Slade, 23 Charles Piutau.

NEW HOLLAND (likely): 15 Jesse Mogg, 14 Israel Folau, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Christian Leali'ifano, 11 James O'Connor, 10 Matt Toomua, 9 Will Genia, 8 Ben Mowen, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 James Horwill (captain), 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 James Slipper.
    Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 Scott Sio, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 TBC, 20 Liam Gill, 21 Nic White, 22 Quade Cooper, 23 Tevita Kuridrani.

Date: Saturday, August 24
    Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
    Kick-off: 19.35 (07.35 GMT)
    Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
    Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), Lourens van der Merwe (South Africa)
    TMO: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

When I was a kid the Amiga was a cool computer, and Lemmings was a fun game to play. Cutting & pasting from Wikipedia (cos I'm too lazy to trawl my memory) "in order to save the required number of lemmings to win, you had to determine how to assign a limited number of eight different skills to specific lemmings that allow the selected lemming to alter the landscape, to affect the behavior of other lemmings, or to clear obstacles in order to create a safe passage for the rest of the lemmings". This week Steve Hansen has to manipulate his All Black lemmings around the park...with his 4th choice fly-half.

In scenes eerily reminiscent of RWC 2011, DC, AC and BB are all ruled out through injury, and with Stephen Donald trout fishing in Japan these days, Tom Taylor has been given the nod. One of my enduring memories from that final was Stephen Donald, grinning like a Cheshire cat after ultimately kicking the winning penalty, struggling to get his shirt 2 sizes too tight back over his off-season flab. He might have been a journeyman par excellence, but I guess SD will always and forever hold a wee place in a Kiwi's heart.

Now, who the heck is Tom Taylor most of you will ask? So far his biggest claim to fame is to be the son of 1987 RWC-winning centre Warwick Taylor. However, he has played very solidly for Canterbury & the Crusaders over the last couple of seasons, and most importantly of all he is probably NZ's best goalkicker, although Gareth Anscombe might have a word or two to say about that. So I guess the coach has opted for a steady pair of hands, rather than the somewhat more erratic (certainly when it comes to goalkicking) Colin Slade (he of 2 previous broken jaws among many other injuries).

Otherwise it's pretty much steady as she goes, with a bit of tinkering here and there, and I look forward to seeing Steven Luatua in action again, who started slow enough last week, but grew into the game as it progressed.

The Australians appear to have only replaced the injured Hugh McMeniman in the starting line-up - unlucky for Hugh, but handy for the Australians IMO. I'm surprised Toomua & Mogg have been retained, the Australians need to go out to win the game, not just put up a good show. I would have thought Quade would be worth a punt, excuse the pun.

NZ will look to reduce the error count from last week, and tighten up on the ruck penalties, but otherwise I expect much of a muchness.

Australia will need to be more adventurous on attack, and much tighter on defence. And they have to get more ball in space to Folau, who needs to up his workrate big-time. Look for Michael Hooper to have another stellar display.

Prediction: McKenzie has missed a beat by essentially sticking with the same lineup that came up short last week. NZ to win this at a canter, but probably not by so much. Given the kick-off time, I expect to be posting to myself on boards, but if you're doing a Podge_irl and pitching up to the TV straight after a hard night on the turps, feel free to join me! Cheers LVR

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably give this a miss and head to training instead. I can't see past an easy NZ win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Probably give this a miss and head to training instead. I can't see past an easy NZ win.

You'd probably learn more by watching the ABs play. Or I am just being a stereotypically arrogant Kiwi ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

0835! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't suppose there's anywhere in Belfast that'll be showing this?

awec wrote: »
    0835! :(

If you've nothing better to do, you can always watch SA v Arg at 8.20pm. The game's in Argentina, so maybe, fingers crossed, it will be more than just a glorified training run for the Boks. The odds on SA driving a maul and scoring a try are paying €0.01 for every €100 wagered though.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Don't suppose there's anywhere in Belfast that'll be showing this?

There has to be an Irish pub somewhere in Belfast :pac:

You'd probably learn more by watching the ABs play. Or I am just being a stereotypically arrogant Kiwi ;)

I've been watching the ABs play my entire life.... And I'm still shîte!

I want my money back!

There has to be an Irish pub somewhere in Belfast :pac:

Maybe, just maybe....

I've been watching the ABs play my entire life.... And I'm still shîte!

I want my money back!

AIG will give you a discount on content insurance. Just put "notcontent" into the voucher box on the payment page.

I've been watching the ABs most of life too, and in my head I'm a fantastic player. The reality was always a bit different - sadly.

8:35 could not suit my schedule better.

Now to convince the missus to make the breakfast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Honestly if Tom Taylor and Slade got injured aswell it wouldnt matter, we would still put up a better first five then Aussie, whether it be Baden Kerr, Anscome or any ITM cup first five really.

Wait, is Barrett injured as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Wait, is Barrett injured as well?

Yea onto 10D & 10E

Taylor and Slade are decent, solid 10s so I wouldn't be worried from a NZ perspective.

Regarding Anscombe, I selfishly hope he doesn't get capped and ends up coming over here to join up with his dad and get an Irish cap. :D

The crucial Q, though, NZ or Aussie commentary? Grunt Nuzbit or Feel Kearns?

The crucial Q, though, NZ or Aussie commentary? Grunt Nuzbit or Feel Kearns?

ARC if available!

Given the kick-off time, I expect to be posting to myself on boards, but if you're doing a Podge_irl and pitching up to the TV straight after a hard night on the turps, feel free to join me! Cheers LVR

It's a date :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Australia New Zealand should never be missed under any circumstances. I'm annoyed Cooper isn't playing, Australia are essentially 14 men with Toomua playing like he did last week. He may as well have been JOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Emmet's just trying to let everyone know he finally lost his virginity btw.

Say congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

watched this match last week in a pub in melbourne.....not going to make the same mistake by getting the 10 mins before ko - they place was absolutely jammed packed with kiwis - couldnt stand anywhere

• Advertisement

GiftofGab wrote: »
    watched this match last week in a pub in melbourne.....not going to make the same mistake by getting the 10 mins before ko - they place was absolutely jammed packed with kiwis - couldnt stand anywhere

Absolute parasites, those Kiwis. You build a pub showing rugby and they'll come. Anywhere in the world just about.

A touch of trivia for today's game - Tony Woodcock's 100th cap, and Tom Taylor joins his dad Warwick as the 18th father/son combo to have played for the ABs.

From memory Keith Earls and his dad have both played for Ireland? Anyone else in the current set-up?

Regarding Anscombe, I selfishly hope he doesn't get capped and ends up coming over here to join up with his dad and get an Irish cap. :D

It's not an unrealistic hope - he plays 10 & 15, which are both well covered in NZ at present. It depends if he will wait until post 2015, where there might well be openings (and aim to face the Lions in 2017), or if he gets frustrated and decides to head to Ireland. I assume he'd have to go thru the 3 year rule thing, so he might prefer to wait in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

From memory Keith Earls and his dad have both played for Ireland? Anyone else in the current set-up?

Alas, Ger Earls was never capped.

Luke Fitzgerald's father was a prop for Ireland and highly rated. BOD's uncle played for Ireland at full back.

OK, I'm going legal today. Using livesport.tv in Switzerland, costing me €7.99 for the 2 games today. Quality is good. Doubt it's available in the usual rugby-loving countries, though.

McCaw leading the Haka?! A bit of Maori in everyone I guess.

This is a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really should have gone upstairs on that. Moore has the right to place the ball. If he was adjudged to have just placed that and made the line on the first placement, that was a try.

Should have been an Aussie yellow there. No defense.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Really should have gone upstairs on that. Moore has the right to place the ball. If he was adjudged to have just placed that and made the line on the first placement, that was a try.

I would want the same if it was at the other end. Probably a try, although maybe double movement. CL still on 100% as a goalkicker.

Advertisement