Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

When is his contract up I'd guess he still has a good few years on it.

I can't see the WWE releasing him for at least another year until all the hype around him has died down and when they consider him irrelevant as any kind of draw for a rival is gone.

If they were wise they would send him down to NXT as a coach if he isn't already there.

They won't release him at all. Dave Meltzer says they are within their rights just to pay him until the contract lapses, which is exactly what they'll do. Bear in mind this company kept extending Rey Mysterios contract and paid him to sit at home just so Lucha Underground wouldn't get their mits on him. Talk is the contract is up in 2018 so don't expect to see him anytime soon.

In terms of training, Bryan explains in his book that he has tried his hand at it but finds it very difficult because there are things he does on instinct that he can't teach. He says he's a terrible trainer and doesn't enjoy it. So don't hold your breath.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

When is his contract up I'd guess he still has a good few years on it.

I can't see the WWE releasing him for at least another year until all the hype around him has died down and when they consider him irrelevant as any kind of draw for a rival is gone.

If they were wise they would send him down to NXT as a coach if he isn't already there.

CM Punk showed how little those contracts are actually worth. If Bryan took WWE to court, he'd win in a heartbeat. If he requested his release and they refused, they are preventing him from working by both refusing to let him wrestle and refusing to release him so he can wrestle elsewhere. WWE would come to an agreement and release him rather than let him take them to court and be left with nothing. Doubt it will go that far but if Bryan wanted, he could force WWE to either let him wrestle or release him. He seems too nice to take that route and will just keep trying to convince them rather than force them.

There is absolutely no reason for Bryan not to be on TV in some capacity even if not wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

In fairness bryan is a great talker. They should even try get him as smackdown gm when it reboots soon and then see in a few months if he is fit to wrestle

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    CM Punk showed how little those contracts are actually worth. If Bryan took WWE to court, he'd win in a heartbeat. If he requested his release and they refused, they are preventing him from working by both refusing to let him wrestle and refusing to release him so he can wrestle elsewhere. WWE would come to an agreement and release him rather than let him take them to court and be left with nothing. Doubt it will go that far but if Bryan wanted, he could force WWE to either let him wrestle or release him. He seems too nice to take that route and will just keep trying to convince them rather than force them.

There is absolutely no reason for Bryan not to be on TV in some capacity even if not wrestling.

Their contracts don't specify he has to wrestle. He himself is aware of that which is why he hasn't kicked up a fuss. They can sit you home if they want. As long as they are paying you your downside guarantee, their end of the contract is met. This is why they were able to sit Rey Mysterio at home for a year when he was desperate to leave.

Exactly what did CM Punk do that showed how little those contracts are worth?

Monokne wrote: »
    Their contracts don't specify he has to wrestle. He himself is aware of that which is why he hasn't kicked up a fuss. They can sit you home if they want. As long as they are paying you your downside guarantee, their end of the contract is met. This is why they were able to sit Rey Mysterio at home for a year when he was desperate to leave.

Exactly what did CM Punk do that showed how little those contracts are worth?

Leaving him sitting at home is denying him a chance to earn money. It wouldn't be hard for him to prove that by WWE not allowing him to appear in some capacity is making him lose out on a lot of money. They are denying him the ability to make a living. If he wanted to burn that bridge, he could easily force their hand one way or the other. If he would burn that bridge is another matter.

Punk's contract included a No Compete clause that specifically named UFC. Punk is currently signed to a UFC contract. Not worth the paper it is written on if the wrestler in question is willing to fight it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe it's a Tyler Breeze situation where they just have nothing decent for him, and in rare good judgment, they're not using him. You are right that there's nothing stopping bringing Bryan in for some kind of star power. However they already have a non-wrestling 20-minute talker in Aitch :P

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Maybe it's a Tyler Breeze situation where they just have nothing decent for him, and in rare good judgment, they're not using him. You are right that there's nothing stopping bringing Bryan in for some kind of star power. However they already have a non-wrestling 20-minute talker in Aitch :P

Difference is people would actually care what Bryan has to say :pac:

I assume the main reason for him not being used at all is so it doesn't effect Reigns's's's's's push by turning the crowd on him again.

Leaving him sitting at home is denying him a chance to earn money. It wouldn't be hard for him to prove that by WWE not allowing him to appear in some capacity is making him lose out on a lot of money. They are denying him the ability to make a living. If he wanted to burn that bridge, he could easily force their hand one way or the other. If he would burn that bridge is another matter.

Punk's contract included a No Compete clause that specifically named UFC. Punk is currently signed to a UFC contract. Not worth the paper it is written on if the wrestler in question is willing to fight it.

Do you know whats a non compete is brother? WWE gives performers a 90 day non compete when they release them, in which time they still get paid and cannot work for the competition. CM Punk's WWE contract was terminated in June 2013, 3 weeks before it expired anyway. He signed for UFC 6 months later, long after any no compete would have expired.

The notion their contracts aren't worth the paper their written on is fanciful at best. Of course they're one sided, but no one gets out of them. The only person who's ever taken them on in court and won was Lesnar, whom they released and forced to sign a 7 year non compete under duress. If Bryan were to take them on, he'd be tied up in court for the rest of his contract anyway, and he'd wind up bankrupt. McDevitt almost never loses.

I get the frustration at Bryan wanting to work and WWE refusing but come on, let's not get all self righteous and make stuff up here. He's under contract to WWE and they're paying him and enforcing their contract. A decade ago if the company had a performer signed to a deal and released him because he was injured, they'd be buried. Now it's the opposite. Silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Del Rio got out of his no-compete clause, admittedly there was a lot of issues involved.

If only Bryan was a minority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I would love if all of this speculation about Daniel Bryan never wrestling again in WWE is just one big massive work and that he returns in Royal Rumble match.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mxph3 wrote: »
    I would love if all of this speculation about Daniel Bryan never wrestling again in WWE is just one big massive work and that he returns in Royal Rumble match.
    Don't start that now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I hope he fights Ishii for the NEVER title in a headbutt war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Don't start that now :p

Its hard though, did not include him in my poll to win the rumble as I was trying to jinx myself. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its hard though, did not include him in my poll to win the rumble as I was trying to jinx myself. :pac:

Hehe, we all know it will just end in tears (and boos)

Just let him slip quietly into the night brothers. He had a great career. No need to endanger his health any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah I think he should retire for his own well being. Better safe than sorry. I mean Corey graves had the same issue and he seems to be fine with it and is very successful at his new role.

I don't think he is going to retire and play golf for the rest of his life anytime soon.

There are other things he can do in life besides playing golf or concussing himself 4 nights a week, I think.

I don't think he is going to retire and play golf for the rest of his life anytime soon.

Yeah okay but you know he is married and it seems like he will have kids. Does he want to able to be there for his kids or be in pain ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah okay but you know he is married and it seems like he will have kids. Does he want to able to be there for his kids or be in pain ?

I mean wrestling in general. If all of this stuff about WWE not wanting to clear him is true then he is clearing going to work for another promotion which would also give him a lighter schedule.

Well it's nearly 3 years away so maybe by then he'll have kids and that will change his mind. He's a guy who doesn't spend much and earning his WWE downside for 3 years with little road expenses would be enough for him to sock away a huge chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Monokne wrote: »
    Well it's nearly 3 years away so maybe by then he'll have kids and that will change his mind. He's a guy who doesn't spend much and earning his WWE downside for 3 years with little road expenses would be enough for him to sock away a huge chunk of change.

And I would assume Brie has a few quid as well.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    And I would assume Brie has a few quid as well.

Well I'd say she's not short a few bob.

If he is okay to wrestle then he could work Indy circuit ever now and again, I'm pretty certain he can make good money from Indies just like AJ Styles.

I wouldn't even mind if he works for TNA since they are lacking in star power at the moment.

Oh God no, please. Would legit break my heart to see him performing in front of 400 fans in Orlando in sterile matches taped 3 months in advance, while out there giving interviews about how doing 150,000 viewers on POP TV is a "step in the right direction for growing the TNA brand".

Luckily there has to be a less than 50% chance TNA is still around when his contract runs out in 2018.

Daniel Bryan doesn't care if he is wrestling in front of 400 people or stadium size arena.

I think TNA needs more star power because it would give us reason to tune into the product. I pretty certain most people started watching TNA when Kurt Angle jumped ships to TNA, and he really became a bigger star in TNA than in WWE.

If you want TNA to die then you are not a true wrestling fan.

Daniel Bryan doesn't care if he is wrestling in front of 400 people or stadium size arena.

I think TNA needs more star power because it would give us reason to tune into the product. I pretty certain most people started watching TNA when Kurt Angle jumped ships to TNA, and he really became a bigger star in TNA than in WWE.

Impact was doing 0.7 - 1.1 the entire year of 2006 and there was no change when Kurt came in.

By what metric was Kurt Angle a bigger star in TNA than WWE? About 30% as many people saw him there, and about 15% as many people saw his PPV matches.

You could make the point he did some of his best work in TNA - which he absolutely did. However TNA as it exists now cannot provide the platform for those type of moments anymore. Other than the UK crowds, which themselves have been dwindling, TNA shows play before small crowds of relatively disinterested punters and their show is produced much more cheaply. It has had the stench of a dying promotion since summer 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No he didn't. He main evented Wrestlemania and had huge feuds with HHH, Rock, Austin, Benoit, Jericho and Vince. I would have said that Kurt between 2000-2005 was a legit draw. He went to TNA and while he was their "Franchise" man for much of his stay, you can hardly say his career reached even close to the heights of his WWE run.

Unless you are talking in relative terms, but even then he was a big fish in a small pond in TNA.

• Advertisement

Me and brother gimmick teaming up here.

Advertisement