Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare v Cork All Ireland Senior Hurling Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Amprodude wrote: »
    ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

This.

Would be nice for Cork to run riot in replay and do a Wexford 2003 replay on Clare just on reading comments like the above. No offence on Wexford fans btw. Alot of Clare fans on here are cocky about how good their team is. Believe me they arent that good and are no Kilkenny or Tipp. They almost lost last day out against a Cork team that didnt perform lets be realistic. The reality is Clare werent seen in Senior Championship before this year. Cork have reached semis in 2010, 2012 with limited resources so it isnt as if we arent knocking on the door. Reality check needed for some Clare fans here.

That's what makes the replay so interesting, if Clare had the chance to win it V KK as they did V Cork people would rightly be saying that the chance was gone. Likewise, if Horgan had put Cork ahead but KK had agot the equaliser at the death, people would argue the chance was gone for Cork.

Both teams are beateable, the chance isn't gone for either, a neck race the first day and more of the same for me Sat week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

dzer2 wrote: »
    Thats what you get with 2 of the weaker counties in the AI

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there are cork and clare supporters getting getting a bit carried away with how easy they think next week will pan out, as a clare man i would have to say i think we will win but if we did i cant imagine it would be by very much.

the same can be said for cork, if they win fair play but i doubt it would be any more convincing then if clare won it

its the all ireland final lads not the first round of the league and just because kilkenny are not here wont make it any easier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

there are cork and clare supporters getting getting a bit carried away with how easy they think next week will pan out, as a clare man i would have to say i think we will win but if we did i cant imagine it would be by very much.

the same can be said for cork, if they win fair play but i doubt it would be any more convincing then if clare won it

its the all ireland final lads not the first round of the league and just because kilkenny are not here wont make it any easier!!!

It's only the Clare fans think it will be easy. I hate to say it, but I think Clare will win the replay. So to a certain extent I am agreeing with them, but it's the arrogance and hubris they are showing now that will make it all the more enjoyable if we do pull off a shock. We were killed in primary possession the last day , and there are no obvious ball winners in the half-forward line except Cronin ( who has clearly not recovered from illness) and Cian McCarthy ( who can win some ball but is otherwise gash and slower than a wet Monday) and no obvious puck out strategies when Clare are playing orthodox 15 on 15 with every one of them pressing. Low trajectory puck outs to the wing are a possibility but this will be difficult. On the other hand, we could deploy our best defender ,Shane O'Neill, on Paudge Collins and negate him as much as possible as I don't think Honan is all that great ( though JBM does) and another defender like McDonnell or even Brian Murphy could pick him up. boresusestoomuch1 will be along soon to 'rubbish' these suggestions and give a lecture about what Tough Barry and the Canon did back in the day because he knows everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

boresusestoomuch1 will be along soon to 'rubbish' these suggestions and give a lecture about what Tough Barry and the Canon did back in the day because he knows everything.

:D Or how Harnedy can turn water into wine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I've seen a lot of comments from Cork fans in the past few days bemoaning the neutral support for Clare,
    and saying how it would actually be better for the game of hurling if Cork were to win because they've been starved of success in recent years
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

It's only the Clare fans think it will be easy. I hate to say it, but I think Clare will win the replay. So to a certain extent I am agreeing with them, but it's the arrogance and hubris they are showing now that will make it all the more enjoyable if we do pull off a shock. We were killed in primary possession the last day , and there are no obvious ball winners in the half-forward line except Cronin ( who has clearly not recovered from illness) and Cian McCarthy ( who can win some ball but is otherwise gash and slower than a wet Monday) and no obvious puck out strategies when Clare are playing orthodox 15 on 15 with every one of them pressing. Low trajectory puck outs to the wing are a possibility but this will be difficult. On the other hand, we could deploy our best defender ,Shane O'Neill, on Paudge Collins and negate him as much as possible as I don't think Honan is all that great ( though JBM does) and another defender like McDonnell or even Brian Murphy could pick him up. boresusestoomuch1 will be along soon to 'rubbish' these suggestions and give a lecture about what Tough Barry and the Canon did back in the day because he knows everything.

Does Nash have this in his locker? It was something that Dónal Óg was top class at, can Nash do it to the same level?
    If Clare go 15 V 15, the Cork backs will have to show excellent movement to get the space for a short/medium range puck out. If it works it might allow Cork to bypass their half forward line and hit direct ball into their FF line

agreed 100% any fears of cork i have had are summed up here , jbm is a great tactician and it wouldnt surprise me to see him do that and bypass the clare full forward line by focusing mainly on the likes of kelly podge and galvin. honan did create alot of chances the first day down in limerick but he and mcgrath were very very wasteful that day, would rather to see shane o donnell play instead of him , o donnell is a natural goalscorer, which is something we need in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Clare have been hitting 20+ points all year and smothered Galway and Limerick the same way they did Cork so it was no shock it happened. How do you counteract it anyway? How/where are Cork going to get better? I cant see Cork hitting the net 3 times again the next day and ye were hugely efficent with the chances ye had, 3 wides I think, sould they possibly be that efficent again? Clare had ten!! The occasion wont get to Clare I can guarantee, they will know what they have to do and after the draw a favourites tag doesnt count for much. Theres nobody writing off Cork completely but history isint going to win it for Cork. The highlighted bit has been highlighted many times over the last few weeks and means nothing. Ye're current panel know nothing of All Ireland success.

U21 success is great and all but it isn't top level hurling. U21 success wont matter a bit next Saturday. It won't bother Cork that they haven't won u21 in recent times. They have a chance to end the famine in Cork hurling next Saturday by winning title number 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

U21 success is great and all but it isn't top level hurling. U21 success wont matter a bit next Saturday. It won't bother Cork that they haven't won u21 in recent times. They have a chance to end the famine in Cork hurling next Saturday by winning title number 31.

Its was the top level when they were younger but I agree with you that it is a big step up to senior inter county level but any success will stand to them. There's so many variables the next day that its very hard to call however I think Davy will have tightened up the full back line (and if he hasnt we are in trouble) and ye need to sort out the puckout's because ye threw away some amount of primary possesion the last day. The Cork forwards were seriously efficent with the ball they got the last day and I would be concerned if they got more possesion in the replay. Hopefully the ref isnt the talking point after the replay too, some terrible calls made the last day but I'm sure he didnt set out to do that and I'm fed up of people going on about him and it doesnt matter whether Cork have 30 all Irelands or none, it will be all forgotten about by the players as soon as they set foot on the field.

• Advertisement

Its was the top level when they were younger but I agree with you that it is a big step up to senior inter county level but any success will stand to them. There's so many variables the next day that its very hard to call however I think Davy will have tightened up the full back line (and if he hasnt we are in trouble) and ye need to sort out the puckout's because ye threw away some amount of primary possesion the last day. The Cork forwards were seriously efficent with the ball they got the last day and I would be concerned if they got more possesion in the replay. Hopefully the ref isnt the talking point after the replay too, some terrible calls made the last day but I'm sure he didnt set out to do that and I'm fed up of people going on about him and it doesnt matter whether Cork have 30 all Irelands or none, it will be all forgotten about by the players as soon as they set foot on the field.

I agree. Previous success for both teams won't matter a bit next day out. Cork will need to improve big time if they are to match Clare's intensity from the first match and Clare will have to stop Cork getting goals as easy as they did in first game. Cronin needs a big game for Cork and so does O Farrell who has been quite poor this year for Cork. Horgan is having a super season for Cork but we need him on top of his game again next day out if we have any chance of winning. I would say this game could come down to the changes made by both managers and who does the right thing at the right time.

I've seen a lot of comments from Cork fans in the past few days bemoaning the neutral support for Clare,
    and saying how it would actually be better for the game of hurling if Cork were to win because they've been starved of success in recent years
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

Care to quote some of these comments please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Jimmy Barry-Murphy has called on All-Ireland SHC final replay referee James McGrath to give Anthony Nash greater protection.

See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201376#sthash.W0DdVLK3.dpuf

oh, uh, a little bit of pressure being felt by JBM methinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hitchens wrote: »
    Jimmy Barry-Murphy has called on All-Ireland SHC final replay referee James McGrath to give Anthony Nash greater protection.

See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201376#sthash.W0DdVLK3.dpuf

I dont blame him after that wallop that nash took on the head right in front of the linesman

oh wait....

Care to quote some of these comments please?

You'll forgive me if I don't want to spend my evening trawling back through comments on dozens of forums, blogs and news articles. It's difficult to remember where I read what at this stage there's been so much written in the last month. But it's definitely a sentiment that's out there.
    This post from Rebel GAA is the latest one I came across:
    Its an interesting one this support for Clare as most of it is based on Cork have won plenty while poor oul Clare could do with a win.

What that ignores is that Cork havent won a Munster senior championship since 2006, All Ireland since 2005 while our woes at Minor and U21 are well documented - while Clare's "famine" stretches back further what that ignores is they have won 3 U21 All Irelands in the past 5 yrs an incredible statistic for a small county and one that hadnt even won a Munster U21 until 2009.

People will make the statement that wouldnt it be great for hurling if Clare won and I suppose it would but it could be argued that it would be even better for the long term future of the game if Cork got an All Ireland under their belts given the recent strides by Rugby etc in particular in what is Ireland largest county where Hurling is the number 1 sport.

With our development squads improving and some momentum being gained albeit slowly at underage a win on Saturday week could be the real shot in the arm that Cork hurling needs to reinvigorate itself - a Clare win or a Cork win, which would be better for hurling I'm not sure that is as easy a question to answer as some are making out.

Hitchens wrote: »

And yet any time Davy opens his mouth you have the whole country baying for blood :confused:

You'll forgive me if I don't want to spend my evening trawling back through comments on dozens of forums, blogs and news articles. It's difficult to remember where I read what at this stage there's been so much written in the last month. But it's definitely a sentiment that's out there.
    This post from Rebel GAA is the latest one I came across:

You found that on boards.ie did you?

And yet any time Davy opens his mouth you have the whole country baying for blood :confused:

Well there was no sense to the belting Nash received from the Clare players as he ran up to take the penalty and the 21yard free.

You found that on boards.ie did you?

What kind of a daft question is that? I just said it came from Rebel GAA.
    It's a viewpoint held by some Cork supporters, whether they're boards.ie posters or not, and it's a viewpoint I personally find pretty amusing.

What kind of a daft question is that? I just said it came from Rebel GAA.
    It's a viewpoint held by some Cork supporters, whether they're boards.ie posters or not, and it's a viewpoint I personally find pretty amusing.

Anyone could have posted that. How do you know he was a Cork supporter? He could be from Wicklow or Donegal and posted on Rebel GAA?

• Advertisement

Anyone could have posted that. How do you know he was a Cork supporter? He could be from Wicklow or Donegal and posted on Rebel GAA?

And I could be from the moon. Read it again.

the same can be said on this site also ......for example they could also be them imposters form donegal or wicklow posteing themselves as clare fans on here :eek:

And I could be from the moon. Read it again.

I wont. Im not interested. I only want to read whats on here.

the same can be said on this site also ......for example they could also be them imposters form donegal or wicklow posteing themselves as clare fans on here :eek:

Are you serious? :eek:

Exactly. Maybe Clare are actually quaking in their boots and all of us impostors from exotic places are just making it seem like there's a lot of confidence around this Clare team :D

It's just an elaborate conspiracy against Cork. Like everything else :rolleyes:

Well there was no sense to the belting Nash received from the Clare players as he ran up to take the penalty and the 21yard free.

Ah now, there was no belting. Shaping and shouldering and postulating yes, but belting no. Calling it belting is merely sensationalising it as if he was running the gauntlet and getting flaked up along the field.

It was silliness from Clare and I'd say if it's repeated next Sat (hopefully Nash won't get the opportunity to take 21s/pens) the 1st player to try it will get yellow for their troubles

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Ah now, there was no belting. Calling it belting is merely sensationalising it as if he was running the gauntlet and getting flaked up along the field.

It was as good as belting. No need for it. You didnt see Cork doing it when Clare had frees.

Before someone mentions ONeill again, i agree he should have got the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It was as good as belting. No need for it. You didnt see Cork doing it when Clare had frees.

Twas a bit of jostling going up the field, shouldnt have happened alright and if anything probably added more fire to Nash's shot. I wouldnt compare it to belting though, no fear of anyone getting hurt at it.

No it wasn't as good as belting. Belting Nash would probably have resulted in him being injured and unable to continue. That wasn't going to happen with the jostling he got.

No need for it and completely silly thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

what happens if another draw

Advertisement