Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare v Cork All Ireland Senior Hurling Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Rightwing wrote: »
    I expect cork to do a number on them. 6+ points. A handy AI for Cork.

Tis like throwing peanuts at a monkey ger :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It will be interesting to see how the teams line out. Tony Kelly if anything has shown he is going to need detailing in Croke Park, where the last two games against Galway and Wexford (though on a lot of ball) he didn't produce performances that would strike fear into somebody. Collins though has shown consistently over the year that he needs to be marked. Colin Ryan is a lot more markable in my mind, but then you've Conor McGrath as well and the big thing with Cork last time was man marking Kelly which left McDonnell exposed at fullback.

I think if they do that again, surely Clare will hit Honan more and surely he and the rest of the forwards would capitalize more than they did on the chances created. Clare have an embarrassment of riches really up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Clare have an embarrassment of riches really up front.

Im not so sure on this, yes they have serious potentail and talent but I wouldn't call it an embarrassment of riches - Conor McGrath is out of form, he's workrate has improved but he has lost all confidence in front of goal, Honan terrorrises FB's but isn't exactly prolific, Kelly has had as many bad days as good this year and is just as likely to bomb as he is to give a MOTM performance ( he is only 19 after all) and Conlon has been poor and replaced in nearly every game if not every game and the first sub in the forwards is Fergal Lynch - hardly a sign of an embarrassment of riches as honest as he maybe he is not up to intercounty forward standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

No way ...when u have O donnell,cunnigham and duggan that cant get a game,it shows how strong they are.

Their is no inferiority complex to cork,beaten us at minor,and this year beat us in two league games.

It wont be a high scoring game i suspect,clare will try and keep it tight.Weather will play a factor,it will suit both teams if its dry,however if its pouring rain,clare will adapt better as they will be more defensively set up.

Cork are a hurling team,but clare are too.They have hurlers,all over the field,and arent unlike sum teams,physical fit,that fall short on the hurling in key aerar.

Teams that win the all ireland are usally does that improve in every game,cork and clare both had faults in june,but are the two most improved teams left.

They will be no handy all ireland for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No way ...when u have O donnell,cunnigham and duggan that cant get a game,it shows how strong they are.

Their is no inferiority complex to cork,beaten us at minor,and this year beat us in two league games.

It wont be a high scoring game i suspect,clare will try and keep it tight.Weather will play a factor,it will suit both teams if its dry,however if its pouring rain,clare will adapt better as they will be more defensively set up.

Cork are a hurling team,but clare are too.They have hurlers,all over the field,and arent unlike sum teams,physical fit,that fall short on the hurling in key aerar.

Teams that win the all ireland are usally does that improve in every game,cork and clare both had faults in june,but are the two most improved teams left.

They will be no handy all ireland for both.

I've serious doubts about Clare,,,,drawing with Wex,,,they looked very poor v Cork in the GG in the 2nd half. Limk were shocking, yet I had the feeling if we got a goal we'd have reeled them in.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Neither team will be confident or feel themselves to be favourites, should be a great battle, I would guess that the bookies will have Cork favourites cause of the first game.

For me the I think Clare will win it (saffron and blue glasses again), I think the last game wasn't a true reflection between the 2 teams, Conlon going off was a massive loss, Clare missed ~5 goal chances and Cork played had their best performance of the year while Clare had their second worst (worst being against Tipp i the last round of the league). I think Clare's sweeper system is well suited for a team who has a target for their forwards.

It should be a great final and there won't be much between the 2 teams, I think the first 15 minutes will be critical for both teams, whoever copes best with the pressure of playing in and All Ireland final will have a massive advantage. The game could come down to a mistake or a ref's decision.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to be nice to their favourite mod I'll take any tickets that are going :D

I would agree june wasnt a true reflection of clare.There much better than that.

I think five goal chances to clare is a bit exaggerated,at best ye had three.

Also we had harnedy clear on goal,and if he looked up,moylan was free with the goal at hes mercy.

That was clares worst game,i agree.
    It was by no means corks best.Our best was the dublin game where ten different scores from play,with only nine wides.

That was our best performance so far.

Against clare,we were poor enough at times,but we had no captain,and we were ice cold with no game compared to clare who played one,we had a guy starting centre forward in hes first game,played in the gaelic grounds not a good place for cork hurling and like a home venue for ye.

We had a poor leauge,with no momentum,an unsettled team,with confidence at an all time low.

We now have a centre forward,in top form for cork,ucc,banged three goals the weekend,a fit cronin,in croker that suits us more than the gaelic grounds,and a cork team that have two wins on the road with confidence,a feel good factor,and a game plan that has improved since june.

Clare however have improved immensly too.The smallest of things could decide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Amprodude wrote: »
    Well Clare may be worrying about loosing all their puckouts. The game Dublin gave Cork will stand to them. Hard to know how good Clare were with Limerick playing so bad. Cork wont be as bad.

Cork beat a kilkenny team who this year were ****e and had Sheflin sent off. They then beat dublin who also had a man sent off so Wise up

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Im not so sure on this, yes they have serious potentail and talent but I wouldn't call it an embarrassment of riches - Conor McGrath is out of form, he's workrate has improved but he has lost all confidence in front of goal, Honan terrorrises FB's but isn't exactly prolific, Kelly has had as many bad days as good this year and is just as likely to bomb as he is to give a MOTM performance ( he is only 19 after all) and Conlon has been poor and replaced in nearly every game if not every game and the first sub in the forwards is Fergal Lynch - hardly a sign of an embarrassment of riches as honest as he maybe he is not up to intercounty forward standard.

How is McGrath out of form he has scored 2 7.

spacetrap wrote: »
    How is McGrath out of form he has scored 2 7.

13 pts over 6 games is not a good return for a guy of McGraths ability tbh some of those also came when the game was well over - he has not looked comfortable in fornt of gaol and has missed a good few goal chances - yes he has been hampered by beind in a predominantly two man FF line but there is no doubt he's sharpness in front of goal has weaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Honan is a serious nuisance factor once he gets the ball in his paw he is invariably fouled and with Colin Ryan in such free taking form it is nearly a guaranteed point every time.. McGrath was shook after the misses against Cork but showed against Galway when the opportunity arises he won't fluff his lines..
    Conlon is very important for Clare-he has been replaced in three games due to concussion twice and got another injury early and stayed on probably for too long against Limerick,due a massive game..Tony Kelly was well shackled by Brian Murphy in the Cork game but apart from that has contributed quite a bit in every match with yesterday's performance more a reflection of what he does rather than an exception-Murphy may be back for the final but would want to be 100% to live with his running game..
    As for the bench-Lynch is favoured as a physical presence to come on with 15 mins left to try and win hard ball in the air.. Cathal McInerney is a serious forward to bring on: 2-1 against Wexford in extra time and scored with his first touch on Sunday.. Seadna Morey is unbelievably talented, only for his season to be interrupted by injury in the league he would've been a starter IMO. Fella can play anywhere and got a great goal for the U21s in the Munster semi.. Shane O'Donnell is another young forward who can cause a lot of issues with his direct running,looks to take his man on every time..Peter Duggan put on a workshop in aerial prowess against a hyped Tipp team in the Munster U21 final..
    So in summation, I'd be inclined to disagree with you!
    Davy hit the nail on the head though after the game,we were a bit lucky that Limerick were off form as we did afford them a lot of chances that Cork will not miss..That being said it shows we didn't have to be perfect to beat the Munster champs by 7 points and there is scope for further improvement in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Senior level is a big step up from U21 success. Just ask our Footballers about it. Its good to win underage but Galway have been doing this for ages and have had lack of success at Senior Level. Whoever is the better team, wastes less opportunites in front of the posts will win this. Tactics alone and playing 7 players in defence may not stop Cork. They are well capable.of shooting from long range. Then Clare will need a plan B. Its going to be a good gsme.

The players on this senior Clare team have won a lot more than the players on this Cork team. The players on the Cork team have won nothing bar Kenny whereas the Clare boys have plenty of medals. There are no medals given out for chit-chat.

Seems to be an awful lot of sniping going on, and most of it is seems to be a few Clare fans looking for arrogance in Cork posts where there is none.

Some difference a few weeks makes though, I wonder would the same responses have been flying out a few short weeks ago?

Given the quality of the two respective forward lines, it's a shame the way the game has gone. Would love to see a contest where to teams went looking for goals, but whatever they believe will win them games is what will prevail. And the culture at the moment is not conceding goals wins more games than scoring them does.

Seems to be an awful lot of sniping going on, and most of it is seems to be a few Clare fans looking for arrogance in Cork posts where there is none.

Some difference a few weeks makes though, I wonder would the same responses have been flying out a few short weeks ago?

Given the quality of the two respective forward lines, it's a shame the way the game has gone. Would love to see a contest where to teams went looking for goals, but whatever they believe will win them games is what will prevail. And the culture at the moment is not conceding goals wins more games than scoring them does.
    thats the case with cork anyhow.Jbm isnt worried about goals as he said their winning anway.There was a time o farell went for goals,as pure instinct,now its the soft scoring option take the points.Id love to c them adapt the kilkenny mantra.Go for it,when its on.

I would like to c cork at least try and get one in the final as we may well need it.

Expect harnedy to drift on the square for a period,well able to win ball and could create sumthing for cork.

I woudnt expect either team to get a lot,both would do well to get even won.

Honan is a huge threat for clare and cork dont have anyone to mark him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

omega666 wrote: »
    I don't think it will be close. If Cork play anything like they did against Dublin they will win by a country mile.
    Cork to win by 4. We will have more skill and Dave Matthews training is really standing to Cork. Clare will be hard but there are no Kilkenny.

Are you sure about that?

spacetrap wrote: »
    Cork beat a kilkenny team who this year were ****e and had Sheflin sent off. They then beat dublin who also had a man sent off so Wise up
    Warper wrote: »
    The players on this senior Clare team have won a lot more than the players on this Cork team. The players on the Cork team have won nothing bar Kenny whereas the Clare boys have plenty of medals. There are no medals given out for chit-chat.
    Are you sure about that?

Two of those three you mention weren't from Cork I don't believe.

Maybe was a bit hasty with that judgement, not as many having a go as I thought. The bottom line is I would expect quite a close game.

Really looking forward to it and I reckon the minor game will be excellent too. And sure we can all go home happy if Waterford win that. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Who know maybe the final will turn out more like the relegation playoff, and if thats the case I don't think anyone will be complaining about the quality of the game afterwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

marco_polo wrote: »
    Who know maybe the final will turn out more like the relegation playoff, and if thats the case I don't think anyone will be complaining about the quality of the game afterwards :D

No one will be complaining, both teams play a very attractive style of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

who have both teams played/beat this season? i know cork beat clare, lost to Limerick and beat Kilkenny and Dublin so Clare would have lost to Cork then beat Wexford and Limerick.

is there another team that clare have beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

slingerz wrote: »
    who have both teams played/beat this season? i know cork beat clare, lost to Limerick and beat Kilkenny and Dublin so Clare would have lost to Cork then beat Wexford and Limerick.

is there another team that clare have beaten?

Clare lost to Cork in the first round.
    Clare beat Wexford.
    Clare beat Laois.
    Clare beat Galway.
    Clare beat Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Clare lost to Cork in the first round.
    Clare beat Wexford.
    Clare beat Laois.
    Clare beat Galway.
    Clare beat Limerick.

Clare lost to Cork in the munster semi
    Clare beat Waterford in the munster first round

• Advertisement

I think the hardest job Davy will have is controlling the hype around Clare.
    So far the Clare team have shown themselves to be very mature and in control of their emotions. But excitement around the county will be fever pitch over the next three weeks.

As for the game itself, given the style of the two teams, I predict a very free-flowing game. Clare need to have their shooting boots again and keep their wides to a minimum - similar to their Limerick game. Personally, I don't believe Clare were particularly exceptional last week but then they didn't need to be. They were clinical. They beat the team in front of them. If Limerick had performed better, I believe Clare would have upped their game more. What Clare did very well last Sunday was to pressurise Limerick and in doing so, forced Limerick to take their shots - which I think resulted in the wide count that Limerick had.

There have been a lot of cards this season. Tony Kelly got a yellow card very early in the game on Sunday. Clare need to watch this as the last thing they need is at best, one of their players not giving 100% in case he gets sent off or at worst - a 14 man team.

Clare's performance against Cork earlier in the Munster Championship was belittled. The fact is Clare lead for all of the first half as evidenced below by the score line throughout the first half.
    Clare 2. Cork 1
    Clare 4 Cork 2
    Clare 6 Cork 4
    Clare 7 Cork 6
    Cork 10 Cork 6
    Clare 11 Cork 7
    Even with this scoreline, Clare had some god awful wides and failed to capitalise on their goal chances in the first half

It was the second half that Clare lost their way. Clare didn't score again until the 52nd minute and only scored 4 points in the second half. I think much of Clare's downfall was down to the cork team packing out Clare's half back line and Clare's short ball game was cut out. This should hopefully not happen again, given that Clare have switched up their game and have managed to fix their shooting game.

I would also agree with the earlier comment re Cork beating Dublin. I think that if Dublin's player wasn't sent off it would be Dublin we were facing. As for Kilkenny, I think it was more Kilkenny lost the game than Cork won the game if you know what I mean. The Kilkenny that turned up were not the Kilkenny of old. KK had a mare of a season and just weren't firing on all cylinders. That doesn't mean Cork are poor (as Clare nearly lost to Wexford and were close against Galway who were poor against Laois). Just an observation that Cork haven't shown themselves to be unbeatable.

So all in all I think Clare have a mighty chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

So far the Clare team have shown themselves to be very mature and in control of their emotions. But excitement around the county will be fever pitch over the next three weeks.

As for the game itself, given the style of the two teams, I predict a very free-flowing game. Clare need to have their shooting boots again and keep their wides to a minimum - similar to their Limerick game. Personally, I don't believe Clare were particularly exceptional last week but then they didn't need to be. They were clinical. They beat the team in front of them. If Limerick had performed better, I believe Clare would have upped their game more. What Clare did very well last Sunday was to pressurise Limerick and in doing so, forced Limerick to take their shots - which I think resulted in the wide count that Limerick had.

There have been a lot of cards this season. Tony Kelly got a yellow card very early in the game on Sunday. Clare need to watch this as the last thing they need is at best, one of their players not giving 100% in case he gets sent off or at worst - a 14 man team.

Clare's performance against Cork earlier in the Munster Championship was belittled. The fact is Clare lead for all of the first half as evidenced below by the score line throughout the first half.
    Clare 2. Cork 1
    Clare 4 Cork 2
    Clare 6 Cork 4
    Clare 7 Cork 6
    Cork 10 Cork 6
    Clare 11 Cork 7
    Even with this scoreline, Clare had some god awful wides and failed to capitalise on their goal chances in the first half

It was the second half that Clare lost their way. Clare didn't score again until the 52nd minute and only scored 4 points in the second half. I think much of Clare's downfall was down to the cork team packing out Clare's half back line and Clare's short ball game was cut out. This should hopefully not happen again, given that Clare have switched up their game and have managed to fix their shooting game.

I would also agree with the earlier comment re Cork beating Dublin. I think that if Dublin's player wasn't sent off it would be Dublin we were facing. As for Kilkenny, I think it was more Kilkenny lost the game than Cork won the game if you know what I mean. The Kilkenny that turned up were not the Kilkenny of old. KK had a mare of a season and just weren't firing on all cylinders. That doesn't mean Cork are poor (as Clare nearly lost to Wexford and were close against Galway who were poor against Laois). Just an observation that Cork haven't shown themselves to be unbeatable.

what did Kelly get that card for ? I didnt see anything untoward that he did for it. I also watched the game on tv again and I could not see anything there either.

The thing to bear in mind about the earlier Cork game is the wind. There was a strom blowing straight down the pitch that day. That would have contributed to Clares 4 point lead at half time, and the general concensus was that 4 points would not be half enough. and it wasn't.

Clare 2. Cork 1
    Clare 4 Cork 2
    Clare 6 Cork 4
    Clare 7 Cork 6
    Cork 10 Cork 6
    Clare 11 Cork 7

I do think Clare have a very good chance, but I think it was the first half that Clare lost the game in Munster. They had the aid of a massive wind and created two goalscoring opportunities, and possibly a third if McGrath had lifted the ball on first attempt. Only being 4 up played right into Cork's hands, and Clare could hardly get the ball up the field in the second half.

Their hurling was poor enough that day as well. I think that Cork are hardly going to be naive enough to put McDonnell on Honan again. If it were me I'd put Chris Joyce on him. I don't think Honan's movement is that hard to combat it's more the space that's created in front of him that is the problem. With that in mind, I think Pa Cronin is going to have to sit in midfield, and McLoughline push back to cover the middle and then they can man mark Kelly. Brian Murphy hasn't played since the Clare game so that will have to be a concern if Cork were thinking of having him track Kelly again.

It would be great for them if they could as it would mean Shane O'Neill could mark Collins and leave Conor O Sullivan pick up McGrath again.

Mulcahy actually got on a lot of ball in the second half the other day and was fouled at least three times, all yielding scores. It's Clare, as it was watching the Wexford game, they've been told to foul at all costs if a man is making any headway towards goal. Will be interesting to see who is refereeing the final then, I think James Owens or Brian Gavin would suit them down to the ground.

But if they do give away frees, Horgan won't miss. And so that's another thing to consider. I agree their pressure game is excellent but I have to say Cork will be a lot sharper than a Limerick team that has played hardly any competitive games all year.

It will be very interesting, Clare's puckouts were highlighted and I am sure they will be addressed. 70% is an incredible amount to be losing.

All in all a pretty intriguing game, but I hope more thna just being that that the game actually delivers real quality. Would be a great way to end the year and indicate that aside from just being a really openm championship that there are signs that the quality of the teams outside of Kilkenny are really improving as well.

You make alot of very valid point there Mountain and the more I think about the game last Sunday, Clare would have to be worried about how ineffective the half forward line was in winning primary possesion , obviously a fully fit Conlon will help here but he has been plaqued with injuries all year and is far from match sharp. Would Peter Duggan be an option if Conlon misses out, because Lynch is no where near good enough IMO.

The other worrying stat for Clare is that Limerick missed inexcusable frees and Mulcahy was the only starting forward who even broke even with he's direct opponent, yet Limerick scored 18 pts, that Cork forward unit is far sharper and more prolific than Limerick's in my mind. Now perhaps there was an element of the game was over from a fair bit out and Clare were always in control and just did enough to win, but it surely must still casue some concern to them, I mean 12 scoreable frees is an awfull lot to concede in any game but in a game where you are in so much control its alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hope Clare win to see Davy's face. I think he'd bawl his eyes out uncontrollably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hope Clare win to see Davy's face. I think he'd bawl his eyes out uncontrollably.

What will he be like if he loses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Unbearable!

Either way, Gift Grub will be hilarious! :)

Clare 2. Cork 1
    Clare 4 Cork 2
    Clare 6 Cork 4
    Clare 7 Cork 6
    Cork 10 Cork 6
    Clare 11 Cork 7

What a load rubbish,KK lost the game,cork didnt win it.Even KK admit ,cork were much the better team before the sending off,they lacked pace, but we must be given credit for playing at pace,and some of our points were superb.We physically stood up to KK, and hunted in packs.We beat kk,and fully deserved it.
    In the first half against limerick,we played very well,had a lot of wides,and improved on them against KK.
    Dublin made the mistake of going toe to toe with cork ,but we would have won that game anyway.We only had nine wides,and everything we touched went over.

The way your talking,lady luck got us to the final,and we have no hurling at all.Ffs,no body in cork, thinks were unbeatable,far from it,but we fully deserve to be in the final

What you fail to c,is we were without murphy,cronin this year,a half fit lorchan against limerick,and missing our most creative forward in paudie sul,and a few more from last year.

Cork have had no luck at all,but bad luck.

We are not the weak,depleted,injury torn,team that lacked confidence and had no game for nearly nine weeks that played ye at a home venue in the gaelic grounds in June.

People go on bout conlon being a huge loss.As proved in the play off final,cronin was a huge loss to cork,he tormented ye in that game.

We now have a more settled team,at half back,and midfield,and jamie coughlan is fully fit with four games played unlike when we played ye in june.

Clare,that wasnt the real clare team,in june as ye improved hughely since.But dont forget,that cork team and the present teams are worlds apart.

We have a fully fit team for the first time all year.We are not unbeatable though,we have no one to mark honan.

Clare arent unbeatable either,as ye are sloppy at times in defence,but ye are an almighty force to be reckoned with.

Clare scored 23 out of 27 shots on target,against limerick,that shows how much a challenge we face.

We can win ,but it will take a huge game from us,like wise clare can do the same.

Like clare,cork are in the final,fully on merit,in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Well lads the semis are over the final pairing is now up for discussion
    Will Clare's young guns do it or will the experience and tradition in Cork bring the Rebels over the line?

Personally I reckon it will be a tight tight game
    Cork won't miss frees like Limerick did on Sunday, they have already shown they can deal with Tony Kelly so they are deservedly favourites
    I'll be still backing the banner to do it though
    If the lads get through the U21 game on Saturday with a win and without injuries I think they will be hard to beat in September the winning streak will give them confidence that will carry forward

Should be a cracker of a game and hopefully no red cards to ruin it!

I voted Clare because I'm sick of Cork, Tipp and particularly Kilkenny dominating the sport. As well as that the greatest summers of my life were provided by attending hurling matches in the late 1990s when the underdogs and outsiders Clare injected amazing life into the sport.

Hurling needs a Clare, Limerick, Antrim and, most of all, a Dublin team competing and winning at the All-Ireland Final level.

Advertisement