Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** CAO Offers - the OFFICIAL waiting thread - LINK to Points list in FIRST POST ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

yournerd wrote: »
    every second person in carlow wants to do science :o

Yeah the points will probably rise a bit again, we'll see tomorrow. I should be fine though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I suppose there's no chance of ag science in ucd dropping 50+ points :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Technically there is but with a bigger interest in Ag over technology its slimmer than the real slim shady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Especially since the lad who got 9A1 wants science aswell :o

yournerd wrote: »
    Especially since the lad who got 9A1 wants science aswell :o

well fúck, does he really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gunny

Just a stupid question as an outsider looking in. Is there only one offer or do you get a choice, providing you have the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

gunny wrote: »
    Just a stupid question as an outsider looking in. Is there only one offer or do you get a choice, providing you have the points

The only choice you have is between your Level 7 offer and your Level 8 offer, as both will appear (if you qualify for one in each list).

Besides that though...in your Level 8 list, you will be offered the highest up course that you qualified for. You don't get a choice of another course. You either accept this offer, or you don't.

The only other offer you might get at a later date (2nd round offers) is one that is higher on your list than your original offer. So if you get offered No. 2, everything from 3 down is gone, but you could still be offered No. 1 in the next round.

So it begins. :P

No, you get offered the highest course on your list for which you have both the necessary points and matriculation requirements. After that, everything below that course disappears, those are gone, and you can only move up the list after that if places become available!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I already know I just missed out on medicine :p but I'm 40 points over Biomedical, health and life science's points from last year in UCD so I'm not that worried about it yet. I kinda wish I had put pharmacy above Biomed now though.

GL to everyone!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know it may seem ridiculous, but I care not.
    Is there any chance at all the points for medicine will drop?
    Anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect it tbh.
    One offer from the Level 8 (Honours degrees) list (highest one on their own ranked list of choices that they qualify for); one offer from the Level 6 / 7 list.

No, they can't just choose any course they have the points for at this stage, even if they have it somewhere on their list; it would take until Christmas to get it all sorted out and people started on courses that way! :D
    So it begins. :P
    In fairness, Gunny said "as an outsider" so I assume s/he isn't doing LC / waiting for CAO (this year anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 adamb123

30 points above last years points for 2nd preference which is MD201 and 60 points above 3rd preference which is MD301 so I should be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I got 150 above the points from last year.

Am I the most hated person in this thread? :eek:

In fairness, Gunny said "as an outsider" so I assume s/he isn't doing LC / waiting for CAO (this year anyway)

Ah, I missed that bit. Now I just look rude. :(

Except by Peek! :cool: :p

I got 150 above the points from last year.

Want to give me 10 of those? I'd get medicine then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

sganyfx wrote: »
    1. Trinity TSM Mathematics and Economics - Unlikely
    2. Trinity Mathematics - Unlikely
    3. Trinity BESS - Highly Likely

I got 520 which was a disgrace for me :(
    Although I managed to get my second language French, after not doing Irish. Kinda a miracle as I had no prior knowledge or lessons in French, I just went in and sat the exams somehow getting a D2 at pass...

Ah, we're in sort of the same boat! Although I'm positive I haven't gotten maths in Trinity, I only got a C3 :( With 550 I may have gotten the single honours course, but oh well. Looks like BESS for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Except by Peek! :cool: :p

are you sure about that? :rolleyes:

woopah92 wrote: »
    Want to give me 10 of those? I'd get medicine then. :pac:

There's an idea, imagine if you could sell the extra points you don't need? I'd make a fortune :eek:

20 quid for every 5 points, any takers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Good luck guys to you all. I still remember waiting up all night for my points a few years ago now for med will never forget it. I hope you all get what you want and if you don't there may be other ways in or if not repeating is certainly not the ending the world by any means!

Not sure if it's different now, but 'tis how they used to do it in Australia. :cool: :pac:
    How did they manage it? Have the sorting system earlier somehow / more gap before college starts?

I'm familiar with some aspects of Oz third level, but I know nothing about their entrance / sorting system tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 adamb123

Anyone hoping to go Mater Dei in Dublin? Or know anyone hoping to go?

How did they manage it? Have the sorting system earlier somehow / more gap before college starts?

I'm familiar with some aspects of Oz third level, but I know nothing about their entrance / sorting system tbh.

I thought you knew everything randy :eek:

Daniel7740 wrote: »

Life as we know it is falling apart.

Randy. Doesn't. Know. The. Answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Ah, we're in sort of the same boat! Although I'm positive I haven't gotten maths in Trinity, I only got a C3 :( With 550 I may have gotten the single honours course, but oh well. Looks like BESS for me anyway!

I'll see you in BESS then? :P What first year module are you going to take from the Law, Russian etc?

/paging spurious :P

Daniel7740 wrote: »

Feck off, the pair of ye!!! :D:D
    /paging spurious :P
    Not a bad strategy ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone for trinity halls?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Attn Med, Pharmacy and Dentistry: If you haven't filled out the survey yet, take the time to fill it out. I know it's getting close and whatever offer you'll get is already set in stone but if you want something to distract you...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014957

Side note... have fun with this thread, hard to believe it's been two years since I stayed up all night waiting for the scans of the Irish Times (and watching the thread go completely crazy with 5-10 posts a second). Even better when I found out I'd be getting an offer for my course, you'll never forget the feeling.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm pretty certain I will get the offer I want in the morning, like I cleared last year's points by like 85*, but jesus I didn't think I'd be nervous about this, I've been through this before like, I know how it works *shakes head*

Like what happens if Mary in the CAO office didn't like the sound my voice when I rang asking how to pay because what on earth is a Bank Giro? and blacklisted me and is going to send me on some strange course that consists of purely cutting turf in Offaly?? Or some course involving the sea, I'm terrified of the sea!

*For anyone who finds this frustrating and thinks I'm boasting, I'm probably 5 years older than you, feel better now? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

adamb123 wrote: »
    Anyone hoping to go Mater Dei in Dublin? Or know anyone hoping to go?

MD201 is my first choice, i got 5 points more than last year so it's very 50/50

Advertisement