Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

donnem33 wrote: »
    I worked with sean last year and thats what he said. He was travelling from waterford to dublin a few times a week last year to work and train the minor team. He was also expecting his first kid in addition to starting out his own business - he said he wouldnt have the time. He is some character though!

Fair enough, was that before or after they won the all ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Fair enough, was that before or after they won the all ireland?

both..he left our accountancy firm shortly after winning the all ireland..but he brought the cup in one day around nov/dec..cant remember the exact date but he said he didnt want to continue. perhaps he changed his mind after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Oh right so, as sure that was a great Waterford display we only lost by 9 points. You haven't a clue of a winning mentality. Kilkenny scored 9 points in extra time and we failed to score. If that was a roll reversal do you think Kilkenny would be happy with that display. I'm not far from the Kilkenny border and already I can hear them say we wouldn't beat snow of a rope.

This is such bollocks. Despite not playing amazingly well, the team through a great show of heart and determination ( in particular from our backs) gave themselves a great shot of winning the match in normal time, but disappointingly messed up a match winning opportunity in injury time.

Yes they fell away in injury time but to come on here sneering and cutting at the team and the manager after fellas doing their best really sickens me. You give no credit to this Waterford team and no credit to the KK team who were the better team on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

In my opinion the minors were brilliant today & what I mean by that is they showed great character & skill to turn around a brutal first have performance to boss it in the 2nd half especially the last 10 mins. Remember we were playing a team that had a team in the senior semi and we had to put up with there 16th man. Mr. TIBBS is looking to slate the lads for a defeat after extra time but I wonder was he watching it on his arse at home and not in the cauldron of Croke Park? I am not disillusioned to know that they had a better balanced team to us but I also witnessed very intelligent switches by management that brought key players into the game. Now if the board had of looked after our last remaining team by cancelling the round of senior games we would have have another option off the bench instead of using up players that were previously subbed. The one thing that I will remember about this group is their never say die attitude and their 100% commitment to the Waterford jersey.
    Thanks to all connected with this team, I was very proud to be up there with you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Kilkenny were a little bit cuter and found it easier to score when it came down to it, but no fault , and all this blame and no winning attitude, is just axes to grind for what ever reasons, nothing to do with hurling, it smells like the Mcgrath v ryan debate for infants.
    I thought Cormac curran had a good game, his mobility is not the best part of his game , but he can fair hurl, and he put in some shift all game, and they were worried about him, so he must be doing something right, i think the situation of playing Gleeson deep in front of our full back, was exploited very well by a well coached kilkenny side, and the ability of our managemant team to recognise this and adapt, speaks wonders for Derek lyons and co too, there comes a point where you have to tell it how it is, and you would have to say kilkenny had a better side, scored easier, handled our forwards well[P Curran was held extreamly well], Shane ryan got a point, and Colm roche looked out of sorts[i think he is the one to really step up from this current squad, and i am including p curran and shane bennett in that], i thought Shane bennett looked disinterested untill he went back centre back and then he became a magnet and his clever distribution and striking really changed the game and my opinion of him[i think he can fair hurl, but can be lazy, and his work rate off the ball can be shocking], but facing the ball and delivery yesterday from centre back was quality, maybe he needs to be constantly involved in the game, some players are like that, i thought hayden at full back did well, looks big strong and can hurl, but looked as if that was the reason he was full back, rather than being a natural there, needs to develop his footwork too, but you can't say there danger man did a massive amount on him, Can anyone please tell me where young prendergast from lismore playes for his club/school, he is no corner back, looks like a midfielder and can hurl, but really does not play like a corner back, whilst cronin on the other side looks like he is a corner back only, I think gleeson has really serious potential but i could not tell you where that is, maybe midfield, his footwork , hurling and reading of the game is excellent, just don't know how much he wants it, i am told he is an absolute beauty of a footballer, so he might fall between those stools, but if that is his choice, up to him, but if you could get a bit of Aggression into him i would rate him as a better prospect than shane Bennett as of now, our goalkeeper will not be in goal next year as he is a wonderfull prospect out the field, but as a goalkeeper he is excellent, he makes mistakes heavytouch yesterday could have led to a goal, but makes up for it himself, is brave good striker, great shot stopper, but we have enough keepers in waterford, looks like a big lad, i would expect this time next year we will be looking forward to seeing more of him outfield, other than that good year, would have been great to win , and we could have but anyone dismissing yesterday's efforts as a lack of desire, bad man management/tactics, ect ect have their own reasons and nothing to do with hurling, we won one, and got to the semi's in the following year, we are doing well, could be better but never going to have 20/25 balanced minors in Waterford any year just won't have them, so i am well happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Congrats to minors on a valiant effort. Once KK goaled in extra time our legs went so will focus on the true game and result in normal time, nothing between two very good sides. We ent out battling with pride and hurling unlike our other teams.

That brings me to my end or Inter County Season Report -

Seniors - Started bright faded miserably, lost the plot, not courage or conviction on the part of management. Too focussed on negatives and tactics - Despite stubbornness to change has lost confidence in himself - brings in an advisor who has failed to secure the job at the last 16 attempts - despite repreated talking about a three year plan is paniced into playing a 19 year old who was unfit and had almost no hurling done - Result - Abysmal Failure

Intermediates - again an attempt at getting majority of U21s together gone miserable wrong - Failure.

U21s - mirrored senior tactics, were somewhat hampered in preparations, and by all accounts was dictated to by Senior management with totally different treatment required for Senior Squad members on the night of the U21 game. Totally undermined but then again our under 21 Managers should have stood up and said no - all players are U21 - that is their primary geade and all treated equally - embarrassed by Cork on our own turf - Result - Abysmal Failure

Minors - big expectation after last year - very hampered by injury and loss of form by some key players, as will happen at minor - fought a valiant campaign and never stopped trying to hurl - with a bit of luck could be in our second all Ireland - mistakes made but that will always happen - Result : Pass with Merit.

County Board - what can one say - complete circus with clowns that were anything but funny. Our minor players were made to play a round of championship last weekend and were then handed a round of senior championship in the days leading up to game - placed in a ridiculous club versus county row - accepted what went on with Seniors and Under 21s as if everything went to plan - condoned the manner of different treatment between Senior Members of under 21 panels and others - Result - Compete and Utter Failure - the Catastrophe we have been waiting for has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

There was very very little between those teams other than two key areas kilkenny worked harder than waterford and kilkenny also played as a team once they got the ball forward while waterfords forwards tended to look for a score first no matter where they were on the field and then pass if it wasn`t on rather than looking for a team mate first. that slows down the delivery those split seconds which really count at this level.
    also no matter how harsh it might have been kilkenny should have had a player sent off in the first half for a face guard offence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

also no matter how harsh it might have been kilkenny should have had a player sent off in the first half for a face guard offence

One of the Waterford lads did a similar offence on the sideline in the first half also, grabbing the face guard and forcing the player out of play. Not only where there no free, but Waterford got the line ball. The referee didn't give much in terms of frees, but I thought he was consistent to both sides. Was he the ref for the Ballysaggart games?

On another note, I don't remember too many extra times in All Ireland semi finals? I presume it is provided for in the rules? Sometimes it just seems like they make that stuff up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

hardybuck wrote: »
    One of the Waterford lads did a similar offence on the sideline in the first half also, grabbing the face guard and forcing the player out of play. Not only where there no free, but Waterford got the line ball. The referee didn't give much in terms of frees, but I thought he was consistent to both sides. Was he the ref for the Ballysaggart games?

On another note, I don't remember too many extra times in All Ireland semi finals? I presume it is provided for in the rules? Sometimes it just seems like they make that stuff up as they go along.

galway and limerick went to extra time last year, and back in 2011 galway and clare went to extra time too. I think there should be replays though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

There was very very little between those teams other than two key areas kilkenny worked harder than waterford and kilkenny also played as a team once they got the ball forward while waterfords forwards tended to look for a score first no matter where they were on the field and then pass if it wasn`t on rather than looking for a team mate first. that slows down the delivery those split seconds which really count at this level.

Correct, if Colm Roche popped a pass to his right int he last minute of normal time to andy Molumby who was all on his own Waterford would have won in normal time, instead he elected to strike with 3 kilkenny players around him and got blocked down. definitely the decision making of this team was not up there with last years crew.

Still they came back from the dead in almost every game this year so credit too them, Waterford are consistently getting teams to Croke park and being competitive at this level so it is great to see at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 whiskey maker

mentality is wrong in Waterford. we take the wrong option too many times. we never win a game we shouldn't.
    what was done to the chap from passage who went and played with his club was nothing short of scandalous. it all starts with the club so club should get preference. that would never be left happen in Kilkenny or cork

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

mentality is wrong in Waterford. we take the wrong option too many times. we never win a game we shouldn't.
    what was done to the chap from passage who went and played with his club was nothing short of scandalous. it all starts with the club so club should get preference. that would never be left happen in Kilkenny or cork

The rule was the minor panel were not to play senior club championship the day before the all Ireland semi. He broke it and paid the price. Not much point having a reasonable rule if no punishment is handed out for breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

The rule was the minor panel were not to play senior club championship the day before the all Ireland semi. He broke it and paid the price. Not much point having a reasonable rule if no punishment is handed out for breaking it.

He wasn't going to get a game anyway. Mountain out of a molehill

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

I used to enjoy reading posts on this forum but the focus on our county teams is just too much. We're after 2 rounds of club football, 1 hurling and 2 more in the next 2 weeks yet there has been nothing spoken about it on here, just the same old nonsense arguments about management and how the hurlers are under performing. That's the problem in this county, too much attention given to poor county teams and not enough to our club teams who, tend to perform a lot better against opposition from other counties than our inter county teams do. The county board are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Its a messy situation which I feel the County Board (that secretary) yet again could have prevented this tug of war between club & county.

IF) passage had requested their game to be changed because of needing the player
    (they were in need of the win and were injury hit)

IF) Derek Lyons gave him the nod to do so. Also John Treacy is selector with minors so he surely knew.

What I dont understand is why Derek didnt tell the county board to piss off a night before an All Ireland Semi bringing this negative bullsh**t into the camp. When he should be going over final preparations with his backroom team or relaxing for that matter instead he's left to sort out the mess completely off putting to the biggest day of his coaching career

fully agree with d blaa

Its a messy situation which I feel the County Board (that secretary) yet again could have prevented this tug of war between club & county.

IF) passage had requested their game to be changed because of needing the player
    (they were in need of the win and were injury hit)

IF) Derek Lyons gave him the nod to do so. Also John Treacy is selector with minors so he surely knew.

What I dont understand is why Derek didnt tell the county board to piss off a night before an All Ireland Semi bringing this negative bullsh**t into the camp. When he should be going over final preparations with his backroom team or relaxing for that matter instead he's left to sort out the mess completely off putting to the biggest day of his coaching career
    attended the de la sale fourmile game sat evening. dls too strong. fourmile were short a lot to be fair. they could be dark horses if they qualify. capable of causing an upset. does anybody know who is training fourmile
    courty08 wrote: »
    I used to enjoy reading posts on this forum but the focus on our county teams is just too much. We're after 2 rounds of club football, 1 hurling and 2 more in the next 2 weeks yet there has been nothing spoken about it on here, just the same old nonsense arguments about management and how the hurlers are under performing. That's the problem in this county, too much attention given to poor county teams and not enough to our club teams who, tend to perform a lot better against opposition from other counties than our inter county teams do. The county board are the same.

Benji Whelan is training FourmileWater

• Registered Users Posts: 38,036 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What do our minors of 2015 look like are there any good players coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd agree somewhat, but it's partly down to:

1. Half the forum at least must be living outside Waterford now.
    2. The club championships don't really start to matter for another couple of weeks. The same teams will come out and challenge as did last year.
    3. It's been another big year for the minors, and a divisive year at senior - bound to cause debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

Its not as if you have been posting about the county championship religously

Benji Whelan is training FourmileWater

whats he like. is that ur man from kilmac

whats he like. is that ur man from kilmac

He's gorgeous lol, yea he's from kilmac think he's a physical trainer but I not sure I dont know the chap personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

attended the de la sale fourmile game sat evening. dls too strong. fourmile were short a lot to be fair. they could be dark horses if they qualify. capable of causing an upset. does anybody know who is training fourmile
    Who were fourmile missing besides Conor Gleeson?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who were fourmile missing besides Conor Gleeson?

Couldn't tell you for certain but I know Shane Walsh and one of the twins didn't play in the football against DLS 10 days previously.

Think the focus is on football down there this year, and think they will win it.

Can't see beyond Ballygunner for the Senior championship, think they'll account for DLS in normal time this year whenever they meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Couldn't tell you for certain but I know Shane Walsh and one of the twins didn't play in the football against DLS 10 days previously.

Think the focus is on football down there this year, and think they will win it.

Can't see beyond Ballygunner for the Senior championship, think they'll account for DLS in normal time this year whenever they meet.
    Yeah I fancy them to win the football aswel. I saw them against Stradbally and they were unreal for 3/4 of the game.

Ballygunner are serious value at 5/2 to win it out....DLS are evens. When I get the 20 that you owe me since Abbeyside beat Passage, I'll throw it on the gunners :P

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Yeah I fancy them to win the football aswel. I saw them against Stradbally and they were unreal for 3/4 of the game.

Ballygunner are serious value at 5/2 to win it out....DLS are evens. When I get the 20 that you owe me since Abbeyside beat Passage, I'll throw it on the gunners :P

The bookies already took that 20 off me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd agree somewhat, but it's partly down to:

1. Half the forum at least must be living outside Waterford now.
    2. The club championships don't really start to matter for another couple of weeks. The same teams will come out and challenge as did last year.
    3. It's been another big year for the minors, and a divisive year at senior - bound to cause debate.

Also bear in mind that most of us will have gone to the county matches or at least been able to see them on tv. You obviously can't watch the club games without going to them and even for those who do go they'll probably be at different ones. You'll get a few people posting reports but it's hard to get a proper debate going afterwards when so few have seen the match.

Not that I'm trying to defend myself, I'll freely admit I'm a bandwagonner who mainly just follows the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

What does that mean though? Do you reschedule an entire match just for one teenager? Between players, subs and backroom staff you'll have 50 or so adults who only have a limited number of matches each year being messed around for one kid who'll get loads of other matches. At some stage you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

God knows I wouldn't want to be the one doing the fixtures with the GAA calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Morte wrote: »
    What does that mean though? Do you reschedule an entire match just for one teenager? Between players, subs and backroom staff you'll have 50 or so adults who only have a limited number of matches each year being messed around for one kid who'll get loads of other matches. At some stage you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

God knows I wouldn't want to be the one doing the fixtures with the GAA calendar.

It was for more then one player you had ed o halloran and shane bennett also but they didnt play..would have been very interesting to see if shane bennett played sat evening what would have happened with him being a key player on sunday ..all teams need all players and if the county board can accommodate they should its just poor organisation on their behalf and shame on them for how that lad was treated...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement