Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deise_girl wrote: »
    And they had both stands on it at around 8pm...

More tickets better be coming available..

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/news/328773/Ticket_Information_Waterford_v_Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

KevIRL wrote: »
    u-21 Team named
    1. Barry
    2. Daly
    3. De Burca
    4. Roche
    5. McNulty
    6. Barry
    7. Harney
    8. Dunford
    9. G O Brien
    10. Dillon
    11. Barron
    12. Gleeson
    13. Breathnach
    14. Donnelly
    15. Kearney

Good team but a couple of surprises positionally.

Full back line is as how I would have had it. Harney is a surprise inclusion at wing back. Kieran Power the obvious one to miss out there. Midfield Id have some slight concerns, both lovely hurlers but very similar type players could have done with a bit more physicality in there makes it all the more surprising that Kieran Power missed out. Interesting to see if we operate a sweeper system as we did last year aginst Clare and if we do who will they bring back.
    A lot of talent in that half forward line but again lacking a big physical presence. Could see Breathnach moved out around there but DJ Foran is definetly someone Id like to have seen starting. Kearney possibly another surprise but someone said here last week that he was flying for his club so maybe thats a big factor. Im assuming Bennett is being kept in reserve as he hasnt hurled much this year. But we'll definetly see him at some stage Id imagine. Possibly management will wait to see how were doing without him for the first 20 mins / half an hour before unleashing him

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

This Waterford minor hurling team should be called the "Comeback Kids", as in each of their games to date they have saved the day with a late scoring surge. However, if they have any ambitions of winning titles they will have to produce more consistent high intensity throughout their games.

In the first game against Clare they played second fiddle for 50 minutes and if Clare's shooting hadn't been so wayward they would have been out of sight before Waterford finally roused themselves. In the second game against Clare Waterford were played off the pitch by 14 men for 20 minutes in the second half but the lead they had built up in the first half meant that Clare were within reach when the late surge came.

Yesterday in Cork they were seven points behind when the surge began, but it still took a goal in injury time to get the draw. If Limerick had converted even half of their nine second-half wides there would have been no way back. While the overall wide count was similar for both sides (Limerick 11; Waterford 10) a lot of Waterford's six first-half wides resulted from balls being overhit with wind assistance and running harmlessly out over the end line - in other words they were not clearcut scoring chances like the ones Limerick missed.

Waterford have shown in patches in all three games that they can play excellent hurling. However, they have to gain possession first, and that has been their problem. At half-time yesterday I said to my companions that Waterford had the hurlers but not the required intensity. Limerick were sharper, more alert and quicker off the mark all over the field. They were also more physical both in tackling and taking tackles.

However, when the alarm bells started ringing with ten minutes to go, Waterford finally raised their game and took control all over the field. It may be that Waterford were simply fitter, but my own guess is that, due to their earlier lack of application, they had more left in the tank in the closing stages while Limerick's earlier exertions left them unable to contain the Waterford surge.

The Waterford defence also seemed to be upset by the constant interchanging of the Limerick forwards and at times the players did not seem sure who was supposed to be marking whom. There was also a lot of confusion over puckouts, several of which went straight to unmarked Limerick players. Waterford players were making runs expecting balls which never came. There also seemed to be a concentration in the second half on hitting puckouts to Shane Bennett which wasn't working out (just as there was an overconcentration on targetting Cormac Curran against Clare in Dungarvan which also did not work as it was too predictable).

Last year Limerick unexpectedly moved their freetaker Ronan Lynch from full forward to centre back for the replayed Munster final and it proved a master move as Lynch was the dominant figure in the Limerick victory. While Lynch also played at centre back in this year's semi-final against Cork and was named in this position for the final, he actually played in midfield where again he had a major influence on the game, scoring three points from play.

I thought Waterford's decision to start two physically small players with similar styles (Darragh Lyons and Andy Molumby) in midfield was the wrong mix - even though both players did a lot of good work - and Conor Gleeson seemed to have a substantial impact when he was switched to the midfield area.

However, the key switch was that which brought Cormac Curran to full forward midway through the second half. Curran actually started at full forward but was unable to gain possession from several high balls which were sent in to him, and he was then switched out to wing forward where he improved somewhat but was still not imposing himself on the game.

I have always felt that full forwards actually do better when playing against the wind as the incoming ball holds up giving the target recipient more of a chance to get in position to challenge for it (and even if the ball is missed it is not inclined to run over the end line). When Curran did move back to the edge of the square he did really well in gaining possession or otherwise causing panic in the opposing rearguard. He scored the goal which launched the comeback. Although he missed the high incoming ball, Patrick Curran was right behind him and did really well when he dived to get hold of the bouncing ball near the ground and then hand-pass back to the inrushing Cormac who finished to the net.

Patrick Curran got his injury in this incident when his marker fell on him, driving his knee into Curran's back. First reports indicate that the injury is not severe, and hopefully he will be okay for the replay.

Cormac Curran then set up the equalising goal when he superbly flicked an incoming ball to Shane Ryan on his right, with the team captain finishing expertly to the net. Cormac had previously been unlucky when, after Shane Bennett's 20 metre free was blocked out, he got a great flick on the loose ball only for someone on the line to somehow keep it out. Bennett, who played amazingly well given his recent hand injury, deserves great credit for the way he nailed a late free from out on the right sideline (after Patrick Curran got injured) to reduce the deficit to three points paving the way for Shane Ryan's equalising goal.

While the overall team performance was rather uneven, I thought that Michael Cronin did well at left corner back and Colm Roche had a good second half at centre back. Andy Molumby, Peter Hogan and Aaron O'Sullivan all paid their way with two points apiece. For the replay I would be inclined to move Shane Bennett back to wing back where he was so effective last year. I think Eddie Meaney is due a start in the half forward line, perhaps with Conor Gleeson moving to midfield and Darragh Lyons to centre forward (with a roving role). Meaney could also come in at midfield, where he did well in a recent challenge against Dublin.

There is a lot of quality in this team and they definitely have what it takes to win the replay, but they need to hit the ground running and to stay running right to the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

culbaire wrote: »
    In the game proper(before extra time) Clare finished with 13 men. This was a huge advantage to Wexford as Clare players were drained going into extra time. Podge Collins and Shane O'Donnell were missing for Clare.Shane O'Donnell would have destroyed the Wexford backline. Wexford was at home.

Some Wexford players will be playing their fourth game in three weeks. Their legs will go in the second half of the game. Waterford will be much fresher. They will be playing at a neutral venue. Most of the injuries have cleared up.
    Its time to drop the excuses. Wexford must be beaten. Otherwise the season will have been an unmitigated disaster. That was the motto adopted in Cork for the Limerick game on Sunday. Wexford played a lot of rough and tumble hurling against Clare. Clare was clearly the more skilful team but could not overcome sendings off and the loss of Shane O'Donnell and Podge Collins.
    The skill levels of the Waterford players are in most cases higher.
    If Waterford players and management go into this game lacking in confidence Wexford will win. I make one forecast. If Wexford wins this game it will be hammered in the next game if the opposition is Tipperary.

As I said, I hope the Waterford team take the same attitude and you and say we must be beaten or the season is a disaster. I'm not entirely sure at all how you could say Clare were clearly the most skilful team over both games. I thought they were quite poor to be honest, and had our shooting been even slightly better in either game there would have been no extra time at all. As Mountainlad says, you keep talking up Shane O Donnell and chances are he wouldnt even be starting for them, so his loss wasnt as significant as you try make out. Wexford or Waterford are already certain to play Limerick in the next game, neither can play Tipperary unless they both get to the final. And you make a point later on that Wexford dont have the skills of Cork or Kilkenny. Well isnt it lucky that we are playing Waterford so and not them this Saturday.

Some of your comments about Wexford are not even borderline arrogant, but completely disrespectful. as I said, I just hope the Waterford team take the same attitude with them into the game too. I'd say to you to enjoy what should be a good game Saturday, but I'd say you'd only enjoy it if Waterford absolutely destroy us and if not you'll be on here complaining about everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

What time throw in tomorrow night?, plus i would be very surprised if there were not at least 3/4 positional changes for tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    As I said, I hope the Waterford team take the same attitude and you and say we must be beaten or the season is a disaster. I'm not entirely sure at all how you could say Clare were clearly the most skilful team over both games. I thought they were quite poor to be honest, and had our shooting been even slightly better in either game there would have been no extra time at all. As Mountainlad says, you keep talking up Shane O Donnell and chances are he wouldnt even be starting for them, so his loss wasnt as significant as you try make out. Wexford or Waterford are already certain to play Limerick in the next game, neither can play Tipperary unless they both get to the final. And you make a point later on that Wexford dont have the skills of Cork or Kilkenny. Well isnt it lucky that we are playing Waterford so and not them this Saturday.

Some of your comments about Wexford are not even borderline arrogant, but completely disrespectful. as I said, I just hope the Waterford team take the same attitude with them into the game too. I'd say to you to enjoy what should be a good game Saturday, but I'd say you'd only enjoy it if Waterford absolutely destroy us and if not you'll be on here complaining about everything about that game. If whereas a case of a team wanting it more it was ye on that day.

I wouldn't pay too much heed. Its more about being against the current management setup here and building them up for a massive fall by talking down the opposition. I don't think Any clear thinking hurling fan on here underestimates the challenge wexford will pose. I'd be confident of taking ye but I know yed be the same about us.

Should be a good battle. I just want to banish the ghosts of 03 still feel sick to my gut when about it!

robopaddy wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay too much heed. Its more about being against the current management setup here and building them up for a massive fall by talking down the opposition. I don't think Any clear thinking hurling fan on here underestimates the challenge wexford will pose. I'd be confident of taking ye but I know yed be the same about us.

Should be a good battle. I just want to banish the ghosts of 03 still feel sick to my gut when about it!

ye did beat us in 08 by a point remember on your way to a September appearance. Although we were really useless then. That game in 03 was great though. Super atmosphere in Kilkenny both in the ground and that night despite the result.

agree on both sides thinking they have a chance though. Bookies have it as Waterford 10/11 and Wexford evens which underlines how tight they rate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

How are tickets going in Waterford? They were flying out the gate yesterday in Wexford

ye did beat us in 08 by a point remember on your way to a September appearance. Although we were really useless then. That game in 03 was great though. Super atmosphere in Kilkenny both in the ground and that night despite the result.

agree on both sides thinking they have a chance though. Bookies have it as Waterford 10/11 and Wexford evens which underlines how tight they rate it.

That game in 03 ye wanted it more. Ye were written off as a team over the hill while in truth Waterford were a bit cocky going into that game. Ye nearly did us again in 08. Fitzhenry blasted a close in free over the bar in the dying seconds when u would have put your house on him to bury it. People forget how close we were to losing that game it could have been so different as Imo that would have brought an end to Davy fitz short term in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

What time throw in tomorrow night?, plus i would be very surprised if there were not at least 3/4 positional changes for tomorrow night.

Throw in is at 7.30pm in Walsh park Weds (tomorro). Alan Cadogan would be their danager man, the rest I'm not too familiar with. Cork team is;

1. Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)
    2. Stephen Murphy (Blackrock)
    3. Colm Barry (Castlelyons)
    4. Cian Buckley (Na Piarsaigh)
    5. Kevin Kavanagh (Carrigaline)
    6. Killian Burke (Midleton – Captain)
    7. Cormac Murphy (Mallow)
    8. Darragh Brosnan (Brian Dillon's)
    9. Rickard Cahalane (Ballymartle)
    10. Shane O Keeffe (Blackrock)
    11. Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    12. Michael Collins (Ballinhassig)
    13. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    14. Anthony Spillane (Castlelyons)
    15. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Throw in is at 7.30pm in Walsh park Weds (tomorro). Alan Cadogan would be their danager man, the rest I'm not too familiar with. Cork team is;

Not a bad cork team, but wud still expect waterford to win tbh. no6. Killian Burke was corner back for midleton last yr, good hurler but imo not a centre back, too small although none of the waterford forwards will trouble him for physicality looking at the team. If cork get enough ball into their inside forwards they could cause serious damage, cadogan and o shea both good hurlers and both lightning fast, the waterford management team will have to get the match ups correct here. I expect waterford to win, but i also expect a free flowing high scoring match as both sets of forwards are where both teams are strongest

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

As I said, I hope the Waterford team take the same attitude and you and say we must be beaten or the season is a disaster. I'm not entirely sure at all how you could say Clare were clearly the most skilful team over both games. I thought they were quite poor to be honest, and had our shooting been even slightly better in either game there would have been no extra time at all. As Mountainlad says, you keep talking up Shane O Donnell and chances are he wouldnt even be starting for them, so his loss wasnt as significant as you try make out.
    QUOTE]

That Shane O Donnell lad if fit would make that Clare team, I'd have him on ahead of Peter Duggan and Darach Honan or Davy O Halloran from the first game. The runs he makes towards goal and his link up play with other forwards are very good. But even allowing for that Clare didn't look like the same team from last year. They looked tired and were very indisciplined which may be related to all the off field trouble they are experiencing in Clare this year.

It is now set up nicely for us to make it through to the quarter final against Limerick. Wexford looked average and their shooting was poor. The only other county with worse shooting this year is ourselves due to lack of good training and shooting practice. However like the Laois game we have a better 15 and bench than the opposition which should see us through. Now is the time to go 15 against 15 against Wexford and let our lads beat their man one on one. Any more negative hurling and we will be in trouble as the tactic to be overly defensive is counter productive when the ball comes straight back out from the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Regarding tickets for Saturday night, GAA.ie only has terrace tickets so will there be any chance of tickets/cash at Nowlan Park? I'm assuming that all stand tickets are between the clubs for both counties at present.

Living in the big smoke and planning on going but ain't going to drive down without some idea regarding a ticket. Can't find anything on a look on the Internet.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

As I said, I hope the Waterford team take the same attitude and you and say we must be beaten or the season is a disaster. I'm not entirely sure at all how you could say Clare were clearly the most skilful team over both games. I thought they were quite poor to be honest, and had our shooting been even slightly better in either game there would have been no extra time at all. As Mountainlad says, you keep talking up Shane O Donnell and chances are he wouldnt even be starting for them, so his loss wasnt as significant as you try make out.
    QUOTE]

That Shane O Donnell lad if fit would make that Clare team, I'd have him on ahead of Peter Duggan and Darach Honan or Davy O Halloran from the first game. The runs he makes towards goal and his link up play with other forwards are very good. But even allowing for that Clare didn't look like the same team from last year. They looked tired and were very indisciplined which may be related to all the off field trouble they are experiencing in Clare this year.

It is now set up nicely for us to make it through to the quarter final against Limerick. Wexford looked average and their shooting was poor. The only other county with worse shooting this year is ourselves due to lack of good training and shooting practice. However like the Laois game we have a better 15 and bench than the opposition which should see us through. Now is the time to go 15 against 15 against Wexford and let our lads beat their man one on one. Any more negative hurling and we will be in trouble as the tactic to be overly defensive is counter productive when the ball comes straight back out from the full forward line.

i dont know how darach honan is an intercounty hurler. I think hes awful. Hes the one hurler I absolutely hate watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭dzilla

chinguetti wrote: »
    Regarding tickets for Saturday night, GAA.ie only has terrace tickets so will there be any chance of tickets/cash at Nowlan Park? I'm assuming that all stand tickets are between the clubs for both counties at present.

Living in the big smoke and planning on going but ain't going to drive down without some idea regarding a ticket. Can't find anything on a look on the Internet.

Thanks

Now sir -

https://secure.tickets.ie/Booking/EventTickets/19712/gaa-hurling-all-ireland-qualifier-rd-2-wexford-v-waterford-nowlan-park-kilkenny-19-July-2014

The country end is now seated.. and a good view too...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

culbaire wrote: »
    In the game proper(before extra time) Clare finished with 13 men. This was a huge advantage to Wexford as Clare players were drained going into extra time. Podge Collins and Shane O'Donnell were missing for Clare.Shane O'Donnell would have destroyed the Wexford backline. Wexford was at home.

Some Wexford players will be playing their fourth game in three weeks. Their legs will go in the second half of the game. Waterford will be much fresher. They will be playing at a neutral venue. Most of the injuries have cleared up.
    Its time to drop the excuses. Wexford must be beaten. Otherwise the season will have been an unmitigated disaster. That was the motto adopted in Cork for the Limerick game on Sunday. Wexford played a lot of rough and tumble hurling against Clare. Clare was clearly the more skilful team but could not overcome sendings off and the loss of Shane O'Donnell and Podge Collins.
    The skill levels of the Waterford players are in most cases higher.
    If Waterford players and management go into this game lacking in confidence Wexford will win. I make one forecast. If Wexford wins this game it will be hammered in the next game if the opposition is Tipperary.

It's Limerick in the next round.. and if Wexford win, *it* (didn't think hurling championship had sparked interest in the USA yet?) would likely be beat by Tipp.. but so would Waterford.. that kind of forecasting won't exactly earn you millions!

No point in talking about skillful players, average teams, blah-d-blah.. this is a 50/50 game, end of. Being from Wex, I have no probs in saying that Waterford are a great hurling county, always have a few v skillful players and can rise to a big occasion from nowhere. Wexford can do this also, where 2-3 years ago, could keep in touch with the top-tier for max 30 mins.. have enough ability + fitness to do it for a lot longer as demonstrated against Clare. Waterford have a few seniors from u21s out o Wed night, so will probably balance out anyways.

All depends on what happens on the day, both teams have the beating of each other and if both play well, could be another cracker! See ye Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

larry_o wrote: »
    It's Limerick in the next round.. and if Wexford win, *it* (didn't think hurling championship had sparked interest in the USA yet?) would likely be beat by Tipp.. but so would Waterford.. that kind of forecasting won't exactly earn you millions!

No point in talking about skillful players, average teams, blah-d-blah.. this is a 50/50 game, end of. Being from Wex, I have no probs in saying that Waterford are a great hurling county, always have a few v skillful players and can rise to a big occasion from nowhere. Wexford can do this also, where 2-3 years ago, could keep in touch with the top-tier for max 30 mins.. have enough ability + fitness to do it for a lot longer as demonstrated against Clare. Waterford have a few seniors from u21s out o Wed night, so will probably balance out anyways.

All depends on what happens on the day, both teams have the beating of each other and if both play well, could be another cracker! See ye Sat!

I think ye Wexford lads are trying too hard to to find offence. I recall one of the Larrys - maybe it was your namesake, maybe it was t'other one - saying after Wexford beat us in 2003 that "you always feel you have a chance against Waterford" or words to that effect. Disrespectful? Yes. An honest assessment of where we are at? Yes. I think if Derek McGrath has any sense he'll be drumming into his players that Wexford are psychologically vulnerable after repeatedly failing to make winning positions count against Clare. And you can be sure Liam Dunne, a man who couldn't mention Waterford in his ST column without a sneer, will be doing the same thing the other way. All part of the fun, and if Saturday is half as good as the game in 2003 it'll be a lot of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Some of your comments about Wexford are not even borderline arrogant, but completely disrespectful. as I said, I just hope the Waterford team take the same attitude with them into the game too. I'd say to you to enjoy what should be a good game Saturday, but I'd say you'd only enjoy it if Waterford absolutely destroy us and if not you'll be on here complaining about everything about it.

Dont paint us all with the same brush , there always someone talking S**t in here , don't think Waterford will underestimate Wexford at all, would be more worried about giving you to much respect, one way or the other I hope its a great game, would be a big one for either team to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Waterford felt they couldn't underestimate Laois never mind wexford.

Even at the height of our powers I don't think we were 100% confident going in against anyone, personally I used always feel that when underdogs we could beat anyone, but as favorites we could slip up against anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

How are tickets going in Waterford? They were flying out the gate yesterday in Wexford

Oh ye are all so cocky, just think ye have to turn up for the coronation, right?!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Waterford have beaten Laois team in waterford who pretty much did not turn up on the night. Wexford have beaten the AI champs after a replay and some of their team just won a Leinster U21. Unless Waterford up their performance levels significantly from anything we've seen this year we will be beaten. No point in thinking that its a good draw - we need to realise where we are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    i dont know how darach honan is an intercounty hurler. I think hes awful. Hes the one hurler I absolutely hate watching

Cause he's about 6 foot 6, the man is a giant. A nice option to have at 14 or off the bench at least

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jive wrote: »
    Cause he's about 6 foot 6, the man is a giant. A nice option to have at 14 or off the bench at least

I think he's 6'8... he is actually quite skilful on his day. He doesn't always show it though, that's for sure. He's not particularly good in the air for the size of him.

They are missing a couple of key players. The other Cahalane (who was on the cork senior team earlier in the league) is out for the year with a heart problem apparantly. And Pa O'Callaghan who was their best minor last year against us has opted out due to personal reasons

I think we have a great chance in this one provided we show up. You know what you are going to get with Cork they will be well drilled and well organised but its definetly not a great Cork team by any stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

deiseach wrote: »
    Oh ye are all so cocky, just think ye have to turn up for the coronation, right?!

:-)

Ha no it was just a general question!
    Hope it's a sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

It's not losing to Wexford that would be a disaster per se. Wexford have some fine players coming through and they've been producing good displays for a while and have now turned that into a good result. Most of us would have seen them firsthand against Clare at the double header last year. The issue is that we've had a poor season up to now. If it ends going out to Wexford it will have been an awful season, no two ways about it.

We ended last season with most hurling folk considering us at the bottom of the pack of 8 teams all grouped together despite staying up in 1A. We knew that our injury and financial problems would continue into this year. So the target would have been to stay in 1A and to establish ourselves in the middle of that pack of 8. We're now facing being relegated from 1A and being the 9th best team in Ireland. We wouldn't just be falling behind a rising Wexford we'd be falling faster than every team around us as well. I'd be much more sanguine about losing to Wexford if we had stayed up in the league and held on against Cork before being dumped out of Cork.

I think any team should go in expecting to win a 50/50 game. To argue against Wexford they've been in 1B for a while without threatening to go up. Whilst they have good young players the experienced spine doesn't compare to ours on paper. We've 5 lads who have all stars and another few who have performed respectably in the latter stage of All Ireland knock out. Wexford are playing well but there's scope for us to step up. Not that I'm expecting us to magically jump up a level in performance. I'll be happy with a win and am expecting it to be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

I think ye Wexford lads are trying too hard to to find offence.

No, it's just bit quiet on the Wexford forum.. I think ye Waterford lads like a good hurling discussion! :)
    I recall one of the Larrys - maybe it was your namesake, maybe it was t'other one

think 'twas t'other

Morte wrote: »
    We've 5 lads who have all stars .

Brick, moran, molumphy, connors and.... ???

Morte wrote: »
    It's not losing to Wexford that would be a disaster per se. Wexford have some fine players coming through and they've been producing good displays for a while and have now turned that into a good result. Most of us would have seen them firsthand against Clare at the double header last year. The issue is that we've had a poor season up to now. If it ends going out to Wexford it will have been an awful season, no two ways about it.

We ended last season with most hurling folk considering us at the bottom of the pack of 8 teams all grouped together despite staying up in 1A. We knew that our injury and financial problems would continue into this year. So the target would have been to stay in 1A and to establish ourselves in the middle of that pack of 8. We're now facing being relegated from 1A and being the 9th best team in Ireland. We wouldn't just be falling behind a rising Wexford we'd be falling faster than every team around us as well. I'd be much more sanguine about losing to Wexford if we had stayed up in the league and held on against Cork before being dumped out of Cork.

I think any team should go in expecting to win a 50/50 game. To argue against Wexford they've been in 1B for a while without threatening to go up. Whilst they have good young players the experienced spine doesn't compare to ours on paper. We've 5 lads who have all stars and another few who have performed respectably in the latter stage of All Ireland knock out. Wexford are playing well but there's scope for us to step up. Not that I'm expecting us to magically jump up a level in performance. I'll be happy with a win and am expecting it to be tight.

would agree with all of that. but what you say is at odds with the poster I was responding to who says that ye MUST win the game, and that losing to Wexford would be a disaster, not the surrounding issues which you outline which make sense.

and the reasons you outline why Waterford are still a level above is is why I would be happy with the win to keep the rise going, but know its still another level to jump. And its also why the bookies have Waterford as the very slight favourites.

good to see anyway there are still some reasonable Waterford fans who are staying grounded and not OTT reactionary. I still think it'll be a right night in Kilkenny after the game, regardless of the result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Rarely see two teams in any sport both marked up as evens in a two horse race, but that is what the majority of bookies have Waterford Wexford at. I rarely do it, but as I think it will be very close and the GAA fondness for a replay, I have gone on the Draw at 10-1.

The good thing is both these sides look to have some very promising underage players coming through, and Wexford in particular have made huge strides with their underage setup over the last 5 years, starting to see the results of that now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement