Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with the so-called liberals on After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

Ah here!

You want a row! Go into your bedroom and fight with yourself! Troll!

Ah now princess, I'm a lover not a fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bullhits wrote: »
    Plenty of points people can challenge in the first post.

Ok. I'm liberal and I say its mostly crap. Over to you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

its like trying to juggle with jelly

Nodin wrote: »
    Ok. I'm liberal and I say its mostly crap. Over to you....

Weak argument, you haven't addressed any of the points made, jog on kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Ah now princess, I'm a lover not a fighter.

Stop trying to fight with us all so :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm not sure how stating the truth is trolling.

I did take that back, in fairness - but not knowing the sifference between "the truth" and "an opinion" is getting close in fairness.
    Plenty of points people can challenge in the first post.

I did say "coherent". You OP is more of a rant and an argueble point.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ah now princess, I'm a lover schizophrenic not a fighter.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Have a read again there, I just described most of the threads in After Hours.

I've read it and no, you didn't really. You described, well... nothing but your own imagined "liberal"

I'd be considered about as liberal as it comes, why don't you argue against me instead of nebulous generalizations you've plucked from nowhere?

Weak argument, you haven't addressed any of the points made, jog on kid.

If it's in a faraway place there's nothing all that wrong with it, fair play to
    the side fighting for the viewpoint they agree with. If it's closer to home
    violence and public order should be clamped down on by the state, liberalism
    goes out the window, and those who use violence should be condemned and
    discredited. Pity for them that the roots of liberalism go back to violent
    revolution.

*snicker

Many of these so-called liberals wet themselves over news items about the
    British royal family, yet liberals should fundamentally oppose monarchies and
    hereditary privilege.

Ahh, the lolz
    I particularly enjoy the "Legalise Cannabis" brigade who go on about how it's
    got so many uses apart from getting people high - it's good for medicinal
    purposes, and it's good for making rope. Why not call a spade a spade and say
    you want it legalised so you can use it legally to get stoned?

More comedy gold....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'm a liberal fascist. I'm broadly against everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

1ZRed wrote: »
    Ah now princess, I'm a lover schizophrenic not a fighter.
    FYP

Oh so schizophrenics can't fight, is that what you're saying?? :pac:

Off with his head :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

They come out with their whole "live and let live" lines, yet when people have different opinions to them, "live and let live" goes out the window.

It's fascinating reading comments from people complaining about issues, and then complaining about people who take to the streets to protest about those or other issues. The excuses are laughable, such as when they say they don't want to protest about an issue because some other people at the protest don't share their exact political beliefs. Apparently protesting achieves nothing anyway. History begs to differ.

It's interesting too when conflicting views lead to violence and public disorder. If it's in a faraway place there's nothing all that wrong with it, fair play to the side fighting for the viewpoint they agree with. If it's closer to home violence and public order should be clamped down on by the state, liberalism goes out the window, and those who use violence should be condemned and discredited. Pity for them that the roots of liberalism go back to violent revolution.

Many of these so-called liberals wet themselves over news items about the British royal family, yet liberals should fundamentally oppose monarchies and hereditary privilege.
    Y'know, people be dumb and stuff. Hardly a revelation.
    bullhits wrote:
    I particularly enjoy the "Legalise Cannabis" brigade who go on about how it's got so many uses apart from getting people high - it's good for medicinal purposes, and it's good for making rope. Why not call a spade a spade and say you want it legalised so you can use it legally to get stoned? The Legalise Cannabis crowd are a joke. I'll pay attention to one of these groups when they advocate the legalisation of Heroin too. You do realise that a lot of the problems associated with heroin stem from it being illegal? No, thought not.

Some people like to describe themselves as liberals, but let's be honest, they're not. Live and let live, unless you have a different opinion to me and dare to stand up for it.
    I don't see why people find it so hypocritical to advocate for the legality of one drug and not another; not all drugs produce the same effects.
    For what it's worth, I don't use cannabis, and wouldn't if it were legal, but I do think it should be legal, for whatever people want it for.
    As for heroin, I'm not sure about legality, but decriminalisation makes a lot of sense to me. (Note: an opinion like that may cause people to consider me a big lefty liberal or whatever, but that kind of definition is such a load of bollocks; it's one issue. One.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

You were describing TINA's and conservatives until you got to the cannabis bit and it all fell apart - at least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

When did that narrow and incorrect interpretation of the word 'liberal' escape from the confines of the US?

I remember a time when the world liberal meant 'liberal'. These days people tend to use it in the sense of 'liberal' as opposed to 'liberal', or even 'liberal'.

Can we go back to the old way please? Fox News are welcome to 'liberal', once we get to go back to using liberal as it is actually supposed to be used. To describe things that are 'liberal'.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Im an equal opportunities racist......I just hate everybody

I just want a hug tbh.

I just want a hug tbh.

A liberally applied one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I don't mind liberals as such but I cannot stand certain policies being pushed by liberals in the USA and elsewhere

e.g affirmative action, restrictions on free speech ("offensive" mainly), gun restrictions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I just want a hug tbh.
    *hug*

I should make it clear that I'm not anti-liberal. I just think some people are hypocrites that live in a fantasy world.

• Advertisement

I should make it clear that I'm not anti-liberal. I just think some people are hypocrites that live in a fantasy world.

....you're just unable to name them, for some reason.

Nodin wrote: »
    ....you're just unable to name them, for some reason.

I made this thread to call them out, to see if they'd admit it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

If someone says "Gays are perverts and that's my opinion, get over it" it's not bigoted of liberals to object to it, and get hostile towards them. They're putting an inflammatory view out there with absolutely nothing to substantiate it, and don't exactly deserve tolerance.

If, however, they said "I think homosexuality is wrong, and here's why..." and got verbally assaulted, then your point would have more weight. But that rarely seems to happen. It's usually the first scenario I described.

But Nodin did. Are you following your thread?!?

Well they haven't, so name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This is typical of all these so called liberals in After Hours. Someone makes a well-reasoned and rounded argument and all you do is insult it, laugh at it and ignore it. If you lot had the decency to engage in honest debate with normal people you might get something done. Instead you spend your time either insulting regular people or reading your loony pals' blogs.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    This is typical of all these so called liberals in After Hours. Someone makes a well-reasoned and rounded argument and all you do is insult it, laugh at it and ignore it. If you lot had the decency to engage in honest debate with normal people you might get something done. Instead you spend your time either insulting regular people or reading your loony pals' blogs.

.....overdoing that codeine will rip the bowels out ye. Just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

If, however, they said "I think homosexuality is wrong, and here's why..." and got verbally assaulted, then your point would have more weight. But that rarely seems to happen.
    I see it happening all the time to be honest. Try being a politician or a famous person and see if you can get away with it. People are getting negative PR and berated heavily in the press and elsewhere for saying marriage is exclusive for a man and a woman for example (I don't think it is personally)

That reads as suspiciously liberal...

• Advertisement

Finally someone who talks sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement