Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with the so-called liberals on After Hours?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

They come out with their whole "live and let live" lines, yet when people have different opinions to them, "live and let live" goes out the window.

It's fascinating reading comments from people complaining about issues, and then complaining about people who take to the streets to protest about those or other issues. The excuses are laughable, such as when they say they don't want to protest about an issue because some other people at the protest don't share their exact political beliefs. Apparently protesting achieves nothing anyway. History begs to differ.

It's interesting too when conflicting views lead to violence and public disorder. If it's in a faraway place there's nothing all that wrong with it, fair play to the side fighting for the viewpoint they agree with. If it's closer to home violence and public order should be clamped down on by the state, liberalism goes out the window, and those who use violence should be condemned and discredited. Pity for them that the roots of liberalism go back to violent revolution.

Many of these so-called liberals wet themselves over news items about the British royal family, yet liberals should fundamentally oppose monarchies and hereditary privilege.

I particularly enjoy the "Legalise Cannabis" brigade who go on about how it's got so many uses apart from getting people high - it's good for medicinal purposes, and it's good for making rope. Why not call a spade a spade and say you want it legalised so you can use it legally to get stoned? The Legalise Cannabis crowd are a joke. I'll pay attention to one of these groups when they advocate the legalisation of Heroin too. You do realise that a lot of the problems associated with heroin stem from it being illegal? No, thought not.

Some people like to describe themselves as liberals, but let's be honest, they're not. Live and let live, unless you have a different opinion to me and dare to stand up for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I wouldn't say they're only on AH!

I'd say its a worldwide thing imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

This thread will have a well rounded discussion with both sides making well rounded and informed posts, and will end when both sides have agreed to disagree.

Oh wait no, the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Who exactly are you arguing against here? It's like you've made up some position to argue against that isn't really there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

bullhits wrote: »
    Some people like to describe themselves as liberals, but let's be honest, they're not. Live and let live, unless you have a different opinion to me and dare to stand up for it.
    Sounds like you're confusing liberals with people who never defend their opinions. There's nothing illiberal about standing your ground on a certain topic. Or even about defending cannabis for recreational use.

Who exactly are you arguing against here?
    Just mad for a row with anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

How DARE you insult liberals. I say bring back capital punishment for people who are against liberals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

How do you know they're liberals? That's a presumption you've made about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

Who exactly are you arguing against here? It's like you've made up some position to argue against that isn't really there.

I'm arguing against the so-called liberals. They're everywhere on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

ColeTrain wrote: »
    How DARE you insult liberals. I say bring back capital punishment for people who are against liberals.

FASCIST!!

Take your fashion policing elsewhere:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A few examples there newbie :P

• Advertisement

You're never gonna get a topic everyone will agree on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

OneArt wrote: »
    FASCIST!!

Take your fashion policing elsewhere:mad:

How DARE you insult Facists. I say bring back capital punishment for people who are against Facists.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Are they the ones who start each post with "As a Liberal, I feel"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

How dare you insult the liberal agenda with your inane dribbling in after hours, im so enraged i dont know what im supposed to be enraged about again, oh where is my location again? Wheres me knickers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It is live and let live until someone comes along with a bigoted opinion and hides behind "well that's just my option" thinking that'll keep them safe, when they get challenged it's the nasty hypocritical liberals that are to blame, not their viewpoints at all.

That's how I see it play out usually anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's not an argument, that's a few paragraphs of accusations and generalisations.

OP can't even start a proper argument :rolleyes:

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That's not an argument, that's a few paragraphs of accusations and generalisations.

It's not an argument until one of them has the balls to take me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hepls if you make a coherent point first.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm not sure I'd agree that the phenomena is about liberals per se. There's a subset of AH posters however who are of the " I'm right, everyone else is racist/sexist/ homophobic/etc" bent. I don't mean those who defend a position BTW, rather those who think snide insults or out and out calling someone a racist.for example if they dare suggest that someone else may have a valid point that doesn't support theirs. There's been quite a few examples in the last few months, generally when someone suggests that whites or men can suffer discrimination for example. Tbh boards is the poorer for it

• Advertisement

You're a troll.

How was that?

I'm not sure how stating the truth is trolling.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

You actually read it? I don't bother my ass to read anything with 'liberals' in the title, just barely skim to get the gist of it and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

damn so-called conservatives ruining boards...kill em all! kill me all i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Take you on over what? you've got a vague rant about some strawman "liberals" you've concocted in your head

Hepls if you make a coherent point first.

Plenty of points people can challenge in the first post.

Links234 wrote: »
    Take you on over what? you've got a vague rant about some strawman "liberals" you've concocted in your head

Have a read again there, I just described most of the threads in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're all wrong and I'm right. This being the Internet, by the way, any argument you make to the contrary is also wrong.

It's not their fault. They had a rough time growing up and bring back hanging.

That should wrap this thread up nicely.

Plenty of points people can challenge in the first post.

Ah here!

You want a row! Go into your bedroom and fight with yourself! Troll!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

1ZRed wrote: »
    You actually read it? I don't bother my ass to read anything with 'liberals' in the title, just barely skim to get the gist of it and that's it.

At first, no. But then I was curious at what kind of insight is possessed by a user who's been here for 24 hours.

• Advertisement

Do you troll boards every single day or something under a new persona? Because it's always the same shite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement