Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno Rises - 7th of September at the XGC: MvC, AE, AE Teams, IGAU & Casuals

Options
123457»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101


    Nutrient wrote: »
    You would have beat me too 3-0 had you not dropped ALL your combos.

    damn


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen


    Lythero wrote: »
    Likewise. I know plenty of folks often have their reasons for not showing up, but there were really only 5 UMvC3 players there. This terrifies me that UMvC3 will get dropped in future tournys. AyJay mentioned this himself and I'm not able to say such a decision would be unjustified unless there's players wanting to play it.

    this was one of the few events that i couldn't attend since i was in Cavan.
    it would be a real shame if Marvel was dropped out of tournys, i honestly can't see myself attending events for SF4 since no matter how hard i try to enjoy the game i just can't (even though im getting more consistent with RSF loops now).

    hopefully when the school year starts for everyone we'll see more regulars come back again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl


    2gen wrote: »
    this was one of the few events that i couldn't attend since i was in Cavan.
    it would be a real shame if Marvel was dropped out of tournys, i honestly can't see myself attending events for SF4 since no matter how hard i try to enjoy the game i just can't (even though im getting more consistent with RSF loops now).

    hopefully when the school year starts for everyone we'll see more regulars come back again.

    It's not just that. Marvel attendance has been good for only one of the last like 5/6. As a TO it's harder and harder to justify having it cause people simply put just don show up or say they will and just don't. Not a criticism, just an observation.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM


    ayjayirl wrote: »
    It's not just that. Marvel attendance has been good for only one of the last like 5/6. As a TO it's harder and harder to justify having it cause people simply put just don show up or say they will and just don't. Not a criticism, just an observation.

    I'd like to think it's just a little bit of complacency and we'll see more at the next one now it's been pointed out. That said, Marvel had more attendance than SF4 if I recall correctly at 2 of the last 3 DoCs, so I think proclaiming it as dead is premature anyway.

    Believe me, I don't want to see Marvel go away (Marvel vids effectively count for half of my views) and I know there's some people who are still mad into it. As AJ said though when other games are clamouring for a spot, it's going to get difficult to justify it if more bodies don't show (and Ben, I know you show up whenever you can, I doubt anyone was having a pop at you at all).


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen


    (and Ben, I know you show up whenever you can, I doubt anyone was having a pop at you at all).

    No worries Doom, I know it wasn't a pop towards me. Just sharing my worries for Marvel but I do understand from a TOs perspective that its tough to organize an event for a game that doesn't attract big enough numbers (hence my worries for Marvel getting dropped)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient


    I'd like to think it's just a little bit of complacency and we'll see more at the next one now it's been pointed out. That said, Marvel had more attendance than SF4 if I recall correctly at 2 of the last 3 DoCs, so I think proclaiming it as dead is premature anyway.

    Believe me, I don't want to see Marvel go away (Marvel vids effectively count for half of my views) and I know there's some people who are still mad into it. As AJ said though when other games are clamouring for a spot, it's going to get difficult to justify it if more bodies don't show (and Ben, I know you show up whenever you can, I doubt anyone was having a pop at you at all).
    2gen wrote: »
    No worries Doom, I know it wasn't a pop towards me. Just sharing my worries for Marvel but I do understand from a TOs perspective that its tough to organize an event for a game that doesn't attract big enough numbers (hence my worries for Marvel getting dropped)

    As long as TTT2 doesn't get a spot I'll live

    Make way for SFXT :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento


    Nutrient wrote: »
    As long as TTT2 doesn't get a spot I'll live

    Make way for SFXT :pac:

    Please give TTT2 a spot at the next tournament just to spite Nutrient.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient


    Please give TTT2 a spot at the next tournament just to spite Nutrient.

    KOF has a higher chance

    srsly...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval


    Nutrient wrote: »
    KOF has a higher chance

    srsly...

    Speaking of which, I think it was Stevo who told me Voa is getting into KOF now, and there's a good chance it'll be in the next DOC.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel


    Yreval wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I think it was Stevo who told me Voa is getting into KOF now, and there's a good chance it'll be in the next DOC.

    Nah it was me. I said Voa was getting into KoF and that I was going to talk to him about putting it in the next one or see if he would mind if I ran it as a side tournament.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento


    I would actually love for KOF to be at the next tournament. It would give me a reason to put proper time into the game which I have been meaning to do for ages.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal


    I'd enter KOF 13

    Not KOF'02 though. I'm retired.

    Going out on top!


  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    I'd enter KOF 13

    Not KOF'02 though. I'm retired.

    Going out on top!

    The King Of Fighters...

    (just don't ask for his stick)


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom


    Been a while since I posted in here! Sup guys :)

    I was just watching the videos Doom is uploading from the tourney just gone (Inferno) and other tourneys over the year so far...

    I find the commentary on the majority of SF matches pointless... A good few uploads are people talking about random stuff and nothing about the match up, characters, players weaknesses and strong points in the match up. The commentators get in an "Ohh, 'so and so' took that round...." - then back to talking about random stuff.

    I think it would be good idea to have dedicated commentators for SF.

    Marvel gets REALLY good commentary, SF not so much..

    Just my two cents is all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15


    Been a while since I posted in here! Sup guys :)

    I was just watching the videos Doom is uploading from the tourney just gone (Inferno) and other tourneys over the year so far...

    I find the commentary on the majority of SF matches pointless... A good few uploads are people talking about random stuff and nothing about the match up, characters, players weaknesses and strong points in the match up. The commentators get in an "Ohh, 'so and so' took that round...." - then back to talking about random stuff.

    I think it would be good idea to have dedicated commentators for SF.

    Marvel gets REALLY good commentary, SF not so much..

    Just my two cents is all.

    I'll take the blame on that one! It's an odd side effect of there being so many casual setups that most of the people we'd normally get to commentate were off playing so commentators were limited. I ended up commentating on sine of the matches which is usually an indicator that theres nobody to step in. While banter is a great trait of the irish commentry I agree there should be a bit more focus on actual facts and figures too! Just very hard to police it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon


    I'll take the blame on that one! It's an odd side effect of there being so many casual setups that most of the people we'd normally get to commentate were off playing so commentators were limited. I ended up commentating on sine of the matches which is usually an indicator that theres nobody to step in. While banter is a great trait of the irish commentry I agree there should be a bit more focus on actual facts and figures too! Just very hard to police it.

    Yeah, I agree on this. I wouldn't cut the banter out altogether, it can be funny and adds character / something unique to our commentary. It does go on a little long sometimes though. Hard to police though like you say coz if you get wrapped up in the banter you probably don't even notice the match going by and then all of a sudden the match is nearly over and you spent it talking about biscuits.


  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat


    There was a good turnout for AE so people were busy playing casuals and tourney matches most of the day. Also, we were streaming, meaning we needed people at the stream at all times.

    Add to that there is only really a few people out of that number who actually want to be on commentary and fewer again who are (arguably) good at it.

    Having designated commentators would solve this but there is no benefit to being on the mic. You have to stay in one spot, miss out on casuals and are usually not warmed up when it comes to playing your tourney games.

    Just food for thought from an occasional commentator/tourney attendee.

    Always room to improve tough!


  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound


    I think our commentators are great especially when we get the right ones together on the day. Its just that they're usually busy and arent commited to the mic(understandably due to matches and game preparation)

    Commentary isnt easy Foamy. You'd think it is but when you're on the mic your mind goes blank. We have some good commentators with great knowledge who just happened to be busy at the time.

    Btw I think everyone done a great job. Even the girls who dont play did a great job and seemed relaxed on the mic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom


    The Hound wrote: »
    Commentary isnt easy Foamy. You'd think it is but when you're on the mic your mind goes blank. We have some good commentators with great knowledge who just happened to be busy at the time.

    I know by no means that is easy, I didn't say it was. As you said for your mind going blank thats where the matchup commentary could come in.. The cons of each character in the match and players.. In my opinion I think that would fill a good amount of time for any match. (Maybe have a sheet in front of the commentators to remind them what to talk about?)..

    You're all trying to get the fighting scene in Ireland to be more registered out there. When people look at the videos and hear people talking about what someone is eating in a corner or what happened the other week on the bus thats not even relevant to the game. You won't get as many viewers I'd think.

    For an example look at Dooms videos for Marvel, the view numbers are pretty decent compared to SF.
    1) Because there are really good players of Marvel in the scene.
    2) The Commentary is amazing.. talking about character differences / spacing all the techy stuff of Marvel (I'm not a Marvel player at all these days...)

    The views for SF are decent and there's always really good high level play. For any person outside the Irish scene to view the some of the SF videos I can only imagine they would be a tad annoyed at the lack of commentary.

    I am sorry for the mad rant, I didn't mean for it to go on this long. I want the Fighting scene to get recognized as much as anyone else! I just think this would help that much more! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15


    The Hound wrote: »
    Btw I think everyone done a great job. Even the girls who dont play did a great job and seemed relaxed on the mic.

    Didn't know there was another copy of me there! And thanks for the compliment. I know feck all but I take a similar approach to what Don said to me once which is to ask questions of the person who knows what they're talking about. Good tip for any beginner commentator!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal


    I'll never say no when asked to be on commentary, because I know the person asking is stuck for help, and even bad commentary is better than none.

    Generally in tournaments when I get eliminated (which is pretty quick), I go play casuals until the day wraps up, because I prefer to watch the matches recorded with commentary later.

    At Inferno when I wandered back down to see how far along AE was, I was asked to sit down with Brian for the Grand Finals, and try to commentate a Chris v Gus Rose mirror match, based almost totally around footsies.

    I couldn't be more out of my depth as a commentator and I didn't even know how many games into the match we were. The commentary probably didn't turn out very good but I gave it my best shot.

    It's just kind of the reality of the day.
    When people look at the videos and hear people talking about what someone is eating in a corner or what happened the other week on the bus thats not even relevant to the game. You won't get as many viewers I'd think.

    For an example look at Dooms videos for Marvel, the view numbers are pretty decent compared to SF.
    1) Because there are really good players of Marvel in the scene.
    2) The Commentary is amazing.. talking about character differences / spacing all the techy stuff of Marvel (I'm not a Marvel player at all these days...)

    The views for SF are decent and there's always really good high level play. For any person outside the Irish scene to view the some of the SF videos I can only imagine they would be a tad annoyed at the lack of commentary.

    You can't really pick a reason why you specifically like the videos more, and decide that that's why they have more views. That's kinda circular logic.

    How stuff gets popular on Youtube is kind of nebulous and the only person who can make any sort of insightful comment on the channel is Brian.
    I think it's well established that Marvel is just a more (the most?) popular spectator game.

    By your logic the reason that tournament matches with Lythero in them get the most views, is that he is obviously seen as the WORST overall commentator, and everyone hates him.
    The only way to ensure he's not on the commentary mic is to watch the videos where he's a player.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM


    I know by no means that is easy, I didn't say it was. As you said for your mind going blank thats where the matchup commentary could come in.. The cons of each character in the match and players.. In my opinion I think that would fill a good amount of time for any match. (Maybe have a sheet in front of the commentators to remind them what to talk about?)..

    You're all trying to get the fighting scene in Ireland to be more registered out there. When people look at the videos and hear people talking about what someone is eating in a corner or what happened the other week on the bus thats not even relevant to the game. You won't get as many viewers I'd think.

    For an example look at Dooms videos for Marvel, the view numbers are pretty decent compared to SF.
    1) Because there are really good players of Marvel in the scene.
    2) The Commentary is amazing.. talking about character differences / spacing all the techy stuff of Marvel (I'm not a Marvel player at all these days...)

    The views for SF are decent and there's always really good high level play. For any person outside the Irish scene to view the some of the SF videos I can only imagine they would be a tad annoyed at the lack of commentary.

    I am sorry for the mad rant, I didn't mean for it to go on this long. I want the Fighting scene to get recognized as much as anyone else! I just think this would help that much more! :)

    No offence but it has to be said: you don't really know what you're talking about.

    Not in that the SF commentary was inferior on the day- yes, it kinda was- but you have absolutely no idea about the difficulties involved in streamed commentary (as shown by your "just talk about XXX" comment- it's a live event, people will always trip up). That said, a cheat sheet for new people might be helpful.

    Secondly, I can show you an untold amount of tournament videos from my channel where the SF commentary far, far outstrips the UMvC3. There's one Marvel tournament where I'm commentating off my face on pain medication.

    Thirdly, if you'd watched tournaments previous to this also, you'd realise by and large the best Marvel commentators ARE the best SF commentators. My honest opinion? People were getting tired, it was a long day, and by 8 o clock they wanted to chill rather than natter. That's fine, too, I don't want people feeling the commentary is a chore. Why are they the same people? Because decent commentary is a skill, and dismissing it with "just talk about XXX" doesn't change the fact that it's a learned skill, and that doing it on a stream where you don't get a break for upwards of an hour sometimes magnifies the difficulties of it many times (most people say I'm ok but on the day I had to maintain the stream, play SF, and answer endless questions- that you can't hear in those closed headsets). Somethings got to suffer...

    Fourth, if you'd checked any of the old videos- by and large people like the jokey commentary more. Of course you'll get the odd online warrior moaning about it, but by and large people like the lolz. They generally prefer it to the infinite repetition of memes on most American videos or the sometimes incomprehensible nature of the English. Of course, this is from people who comment on my videos, so therefore like them: I don't have an idea what turns them away.
    Didn't know there was another copy of me there! And thanks for the compliment. I know feck all but I take a similar approach to what Don said to me once which is to ask questions of the person who knows what they're talking about. Good tip for any beginner commentator!

    Rachel also did a wee bit of commentary! Yes, if you don't know the game and your beside someone who does, you should absolutely assume the rookie role and ask questions- there will be people watching who'll get something from it- and you won't look like a fraud.
    I'll never say no when asked to be on commentary, because I know the person asking is stuck for help, and even bad commentary is better than none.

    Generally in tournaments when I get eliminated (which is pretty quick), I go play casuals until the day wraps up, because I prefer to watch the matches recorded with commentary later.

    At Inferno when I wandered back down to see how far along AE was, I was asked to sit down with Brian for the Grand Finals, and try to commentate a Chris v Gus Rose mirror match, based almost totally around footsies.

    I couldn't be more out of my depth as a commentator and I didn't even know how many games into the match we were. The commentary probably didn't turn out very good but I gave it my best shot.

    It's just kind of the reality of the day.



    You can't really pick a reason why you specifically like the videos more, and decide that that's why they have more views. That's kinda circular logic.

    How stuff gets popular on Youtube is kind of nebulous and the only person who can make any sort of insightful comment on the channel is Brian.
    I think it's well established that Marvel is just a more (the most?) popular spectator game.

    By your logic the reason that tournament matches with Lythero in them get the most views, is that he is obviously seen as the WORST overall commentator, and everyone hates him.
    The only way to ensure he's not on the commentary mic is to watch the videos where he's a player.

    It's not so nebulous when you've access to the analytics :)

    At this point, 80% of my views come from America. The home of Marvel.

    About 60% come from straight up searches, about 10 from embeds and social media, 30% from subs.

    A huge percentage of those searches are for Marvel videos. As these people haven't seen the videos yet, there's a couple of reasons I can think of why they will/ won't see mine. None of them relate to commentary.

    1) My SEO is not up to scratch on Streetfighter- or any other game- this is doubtful as I basically use the same tags and layout for title for all games, just changing the names. I do the same SEO on Marvel as other games.

    2) The SF4 series is older than the MvC3 series. Therefore, there are many, many thousand more videos for my SF4 videos to compete with. I would say this is a possibility.

    3) There are simply more casual people interested in watching Marvel. I honestly think this is a huge part of it.

    4) Of my "fans", many of them are spun off from Lythero/ Maxes youtube channel (one of Maxes older vids has a video response from me). Obviously, these people will be more interested in Marvel. This is borne out by the larger number of views Lees vids get. That said he's not my only "star"- I'm seeing searches for Nutrient, Ladnopoka, Cobelcog, and occasionally Hound too. I even have a few fans.

    5) This is a weird one, but I think it does have an effect. There's a lot of people who search by character. In my Marvel videos I always have tags for 6 characters. In my SF, I only have tags for 2. That's a way higher chance of someone coming across one.

    One final comment on the videos- it seems way, way easier for "instructional" videos to get views than others. My "Guile 2012 changes" video is now the most popular SF4 vid on the channel, and my "Beginners combos" vid makes regular hits. More of them I think, would help.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM


    On a related note, I've been simultaneously making highlight vids on twitch as well as youtube, and I've gotten 30 new followers there. At this rate a lot more people will be alerted when we do our next stream :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom


    I can only imagine how hard it is to set up a good stream and get good commentators. I've been to tournaments and seen what it takes... I take my many hats off you for it!

    I'm really just coming from a viewer perceptive.
    As I said it was just a thought to try and help that bit more with the scene. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero


    I hate looking back at matches I commentated on and finding out I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on. As well as being too quiet. I think you improve the more you do it so long you always keep the future viewer in mind during every match.
    the reason that tournament matches with Lythero in them get the most views, is that he is obviously seen as the WORST overall commentator, and everyone hates him.
    The only way to ensure he's not on the commentary mic is to watch the videos where he's a player.

    ... Nevermind, I can take a hint >:'/


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM


    Lythero wrote: »
    I hate looking back at matches I commentated on and finding out I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on. As well as being too quiet. I think you improve the more you do it so long you always keep the future viewer in mind during every match.



    ... Nevermind, I can take a hint >:'/

    Being too quiet is not your fault, it's technically the fault of the person handling the sound. They should (they being me) increase your volume or gain to compensate, or even just tell you to move the mike nearer to your mouth, depending on why the volume is low. Long as you're louder than the background murmer, you shouldn't need to be shouting with the new mikes. They're pretty awesome.

    Pro tip: in any situation where you have a sound guy telling you what to do, do so IMMEDIATELY. Anyone who's ever been in a band will have experience of sound guy rage :D and will also know they can't work miracles. Chopper.

    I need some noise cancelling headphones for that task as the external noise ruins your ability to balance, IMO.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne


    I was perfectly audible this time.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM


    I was perfectly audible this time.

    Because you can't hold a mike wrong when it is stuck to your face :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne


    Challenge accepted!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    It's only fair to say it, the empire Eircadia combo were on the mic for the last few matches that were uploaded (SF4) and the quality is great. So it's not a case of one game better than another.


Advertisement