Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yada yada

You're outside the spectrum of people I'm interested in discussing these matters with.

This will be the reply you will get any time you quote me or use my name so get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You're outside the spectrum of people I'm interested in discussing these matters with.

This will be the reply you will get any time you quote me or use my name so get used to it.

Serious question, why not just use the ignore function if you don't want to engage with him? Parroting the same hostile reply each time he addresses you is pretty childish tbh.

Thats what makes her so memorable

She's a very pretty girl but I'll admit an awful weakness in character and taste here and say I'm not big on following girly teeny-pop.
    Republicans.

Are you not a Republican yourself by default? Don't you think a constitutional republic is about as good as we've got as regards humans organising themselves equitably?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Very well, I hope you have fun debating with people who agree with you. One more piece of helpful advice though before we part ways forever a chara.

Click on user -> user profile -> user Lists -> add to ignore list

Serious question, why not just use the ignore function if you don't want to engage with him?

I like to know when someone has quoted me so I can respond. I've never put anyone on ignore and can't envision doing it tbh.
    Parroting the same hostile reply each time he addresses you is pretty childish tbh.

Hostile? It's hostile that I'm telling someone I think their views are outside the spectrum of those I'm interested in engaging with?

How the hell is my personal decision to not engage another person on an internet forum hostile? Please explain it to me and if you make a good argument I might reconsider.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Very well, I hope you have fun debating with people who agree with you. One more piece of helpful advice though before we part ways forever a chara.

Click on user -> user profile -> user Lists -> add to ignore list

This is the 3rd time I've told you that you're outside the spectrum of people I'm interested in discussing these matters with. Please respect my natural right to that.

I'd be more than happy if you'd return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

How the hell is my personal decision to not engage another person on an internet forum hostile? Please explain it to me and if you make a good argument I might reconsider.
    Oh don't waste your breath pablomakaveli it takes two to have a conversation and I don't particularly want to have one with someone who blocks off posters he disagrees with.

I like to know when someone has quoted me so I can respond. I've never put anyone on ignore and can't envision doing it tbh.

Hostile? It's hostile that I'm telling someone I think their views are outside the spectrum of those I'm interested in engaging with?

Frankly you're not worth my time in constructing a good argument. If you want to carry on acting childish towards iwasfrozen your more than welcome to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

This is what I'd personally want:

- N. Ireland to become an independent nation, free from Ireland and Britain. I feel that it is culturally too different to here, and reunification will just cause more problems.
    - England, Scotland and Wales become independent nations and their monarchy removed.
    - Make a union between all countries in the interests of helping each other out, without any country trying to rule over the others.

Frankly you're not worth my time in constructing a good argument.

Because there is none and you've realised it. Stop quoting me and engaging me if you don't care about what I have to say. It's very simple and it's what I've decided to do with IwasFrozen.
    If you want to carry on acting childish towards iwasfrozen your more than welcome to carry on.

How the hell is it childish to not want to engage with someone you've consciously and deliberately decided is not worth the time and trouble?

This 'Oh FFS' thing happens in politics all the time - people go so far from the median view and end up being ignored - Willie Frazer, dissident Republicans, whatever you're having yourself - just not worth the trouble.

• Advertisement

Because there is none and you've realised it.

Keep telling yourself that.
    How the hell is it childish to not want to engage with someone you've consciously and deliberately decided is not worth the time and trouble?

This 'Oh FFS' thing happens in politics all the time - people go so far from the median view and end up being ignored - Willie Frazer, dissident Republicans, whatever you're having yourself - just not worth the trouble.

It's childish to keep repeating

everytime he quotes you. If you don't want to have a discussion with him and you dont want to put him on the ignore list then just don't respond. That would be a considerably more mature approach to take. I can't make it any clearer than that.

If you don't want to have a discussion with him and you dont want to put him on the ignore list then just don't respond. That would be a considerably more mature approach to take.

I see. You're harbouring double standards here. You think I should ignore IWF but that he should be able to quote me and challenge my views freely?

Okey-doke. There's an ignore function. You're free to use it. I choose not to. Put me on ignore - I'm okay with it.

I see. You're harbouring double standards here. You think I should ignore IWF but that he should be able to quote me and challenge my views freely?

Okey-doke. There's an ignore function. You're free to use it. I choose not to. Put me on ignore - I'm okay with it.

You don't want to engage in debate with him so why does it matter if he does quote you? If he does question or challenge your views you won't discuss it with him anyway so what difference does it make?

Is it just about getting to tell him everytime he does that you won't discuss it with him? What do you expect to achieve by doing that?

You don't want to engage in debate with him so why does it matter if he does quote you?

Because it's not private and there are other viewing the debate.
    Is it just about getting to tell him everytime he does that you won't discuss it with him?

I've been honest enough to tell him that I'm not interested. What reason would he have to quote me after being told that?
    What do you expect to achieve by doing that?

I expect nothing other than that people will see that Cathal Cloch believes there is no point in discussing stuff with that person because it's a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

shleedance wrote: »
    This is what I'd personally want:

- N. Ireland to become an independent nation, free from Ireland and Britain. I feel that it is culturally too different to here, and reunification will just cause more problems.
    - England, Scotland and Wales become independent nations and their monarchy removed.
    - Make a union between all countries in the interests of helping each other out, without any country trying to rule over the others.

There was talk in nationalist circles of a united Ireland, but remaining part of the Commonwealth.

An independent North makes sense in some ways, but would seem like a major concession, for both sides, but for different reasons.

As far as I am concerned, a unionist in the six counties actually has more in common with a citizen of the republic than a citizen of England (generally speaking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The state could kick the catholic church out of the schools and hospitals very easily if they wanted to. All they would need do is seize their property by passing some legislation and if they don't like it the can fcuk right off.

That would require some politicians with fairly sizeable balls, something we appear to be lacking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

This is a strange website..

Thats pretty much the appeal of it :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jesus wept! Post reads like something a certain Austrian painter would have have said about the Sudetenland in 1936!
    I worry about sharing this state with anyone of that mentality!
    Forced repatriation FFS! They have as much right to be there as anyone else!:mad:

They certainly do. And I say this as neither a unionist or nationalist. I dread to think where I'd be "sent back to" with my various ancestries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If the North and Republic were ever to join, it will only be concievably possible (economics aside) at a time in the future when sectarian divisions and state observance of religion have died away, which will be a couple of generations away hopefully. Maybe even by the time today's 60+ are gone and today's 20's are middle age and in power. It seems that younger generations are far less reliant on religion and nationalism in the forming of their personal identities than their older counterparts.

You seem to place a lot of emphasis on religion? Slightly misguided if you ask me, makes it seem like religion is the main dividing factor when it's clearly down to identity. Besides, religious observance has died down, it's pretty unimportant to most people nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

You seem to place a lot of emphasis on religion? Slightly misguided if you ask me, makes it seem like religion is the main dividing factor when it's clearly down to identity. Besides, religious observance has died down, it's pretty unimportant to most people nowadays.
    Loyalist aren't loyal to Britain,they are loyal to a protestant lump of metal and stone(crown) in London

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Loyalist aren't loyal to Britain,they are loyal to a protestant lump of metal and stone(crown) in London

They are loyal to something which is basically a high up celebrity? Henry VIII isnt king anymore. Do you have any real arguments for a UI or do you just make it up as you go along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

They most certainly are loyal to Britain, or their own idea of Britain anyway, which see's them figure centrally in it. In reality the British people aren't all that interested in them though, sort of like how many Irish people seem to have become indifferent to northern Nationalists, maybe that's something they can bond over :L

He needs to learn that BOY is spelt b-o-y.
    in your language yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If it is misrepresentative it may be because, from other polls I've seen on age, a lot of posters on boards are quite young (teens, early twenties). Hopefully a sign that younger generations have not bought into, and are not particularly interested in, sectarian bollocks!

There is nothing sectarian about wanting a united Ireland

There is nothing sectarian about wanting a united Ireland
    Partition was sectarian

Partition was sectarian
    2 sectarian statelets on one small island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

in your language yes

What language do you speak? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Partition was sectarian
    No, it was political.

• Advertisement

No, it was political.
    Every county with a protestant majority stayed in the union,so its sectarian, end of.

Advertisement