Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite 90's Irish band

Options
  • 14-08-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

A plethora to chose from .Am gonna leave some v popular bands off the list for obvious choices.

Er forgot an other option ..:rolleyes:

Favorite 90's Irish band 106 votes

My Bloody Valentine
    0% 0 votes
    Whipping Boy
    23% 25 votes
    Stiff little fingers
    20% 22 votes
    Engine Alley
    3% 4 votes
    Therapy
    2% 3 votes
    A-House
    12% 13 votes
    Kerbdog
    3% 4 votes
    Lir
    8% 9 votes
    JJ72
    0% 1 vote
    Ash
    6% 7 votes
    Other
    16% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

notnumber wrote: »
    Er forgot an other option ..:rolleyes:
    Fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jossys_giants

EP1, EP 2, Trains Boats & Planes / Grand Parade / Beauty...., and all the amazing singles within each of these e.p's, albums, aided with a brilliant live show, has to be The Frank & Walters

Therapy? / Whipping Boy and NPB close runner ups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The Frank and Walters or The Sultans of Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

The Frank & Walters

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

No Bands from Cork Please :pac:
    Never thought of F&W or Sultans of Ping..maybe we can add them to the poll if they are that popular? (I cant seem to edit the poll so unless a mod will?)..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, Frank and Walters would be my top choice too. None of the others aged as well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

JJ72 were hardly the 90's?? Or am I that old?

The Frames for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know if one epic album qualifies as a "favourite Irish band" of the 90s but Whipping Boy's Heartworm is my favourite Irish album of the 90s - by a country mile. Probably the only Irish album from that era that I still listen to.

JJ72 were hardly the 90's?? Or am I that old?
    Yeah that one's debatable. They released the singles 'Pillow' and 'October Swimmer' in 1999 so technically they qualify despite really being an 00's band.

Also apart from MBV and Whipping Boy who are my first and second choice respectively, my third choice goes to Rollerskate Skinny. Horsedrawn Wishes is one of the best Irish albums of the 90's in my view and doesn't get the credit it deserves. They sounded like Ireland's very own Flaming Lips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

My third favourite (a one album wonder though) didnt make this list either - Pelvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asal cliste

Not sure if they are 90s or possibly 80s but I used to really like Microdisney.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

I would go with the Frames too as Dance The Devil was probably my favourite Irish album of the 90s. Another Irish band I liked were The Pale from back then.

smacg wrote: »
    I would go with the Frames too as Dance The Devil was probably my favourite Irish album of the 90s. Another Irish band I liked were The Pale from back then.

Seen The Pale live circa 1994 and they blew me away I have to say, was singing Butterfly in my head for about 6 months :D

Not sure if they are 90s or possibly 80s but I used to really like Microdisney.
    Microdisney split in 1988. Cathal Coughlan then formed The Fatima Mansions who are worthy of a mention in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 20carrolls

the revenants/stars of heaven , a house , toasted heretic, tfw, fatima mansions, that petrol emotion.....lot of great bands in the 90s

20carrolls wrote: »
    the revenants/stars of heaven , a house , toasted heretic, tfw, fatima mansions, that petrol emotion.....lot of great bands in the 90s

Compulsion and Revelino personal favs as well! Yip the 90's where awesome for Irish music - would struggle to create a decent poll for any other decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

For me the best Irish album was Map of the Universe, by Blink. 'It's Not My Fault' still gets played regularly by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bawl and Saville have to be worth a shout.

• Advertisement

Bawl and Saville have to be worth a shout.

wtf? never heard of them ..post a tune

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

The pogues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Boyzone, epic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Engine Alley blazed for a while. And anyone remember the Harvest Ministers?

The Harvest Ministers were Irish? Awesome, I know them from a couple of Sarah Records compilations but never really looked into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

My Bloody Valentine by a million miles. Loveless is a timeless album. I still can't get my head around that their Irish. Just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

The Golden Horde

Engine Alley where one of the few bands on this List I had actually seen live during the 90's .. gig-going wasn't a forte back then..but engine alley and their gorgeous drummer Emmaline is a gig that remains vivid in the mind..

For old times sake .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

Still enjoy listening to Revelino and Whipping Boy. Don't know why but I never really count MBV as Irish, reckon they're Irish in the same way as Tony Cascarino and the 90s soccer team ... ....
    ..... waits for someone to take offence and prove me wrong

Advertisement