Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite 90's Irish band

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Don't know why but I never really count MBV as Irish, reckon they're Irish in the same way as Tony Cascarino and the 90s soccer team ... ....
    ..... waits for someone to take offence and prove me wrong
    They're an Irish band in the sense that they were formed in Dublin by a few local lads. They left Ireland because they thought they couldn't make it here and made a few line-up changes along the way. Completely different to your Tony Cascarino analogy, more like the hundreds of players who left Ireland for England because the League of Ireland sucks. However sometimes it's hard to see them as an Irish band because half their line-up is English and they made their name over there rather than over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

Stars of Heaven, Revenants, Radiators, Modern Heirs, We Live On Snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The thread started off as who is your favourite Irish band of the 90's. But now it has transcended into people just posting all Irish bands that they can think off, and the more unknown the band is, then the "cooler" they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The thread started off as who is your favourite Irish band of the 90's. But now it has transcended into people just posting all Irish bands that they can think off, and the more unknown the band is, then the "cooler" they are.
    Harsh. Think you're overthinking this one buddy.

Back on topic, Pighead's favourite Irish band in the 90's were called After Purple.:cool:

No harm in people mentioning a few bands they liked back in the 90's that might not be on people's radar today. Some of them might be well-worth discovering.

However it would be great if people could explain why a certain band is their favourite rather than just naming bands. For example My Bloody Valentine is my first choice on the strength of having released one of my favourite albums of all time, Loveless, as well as releasing two solid EPs in the early 90's, Glider and Tremolo, that are every bit as good as Loveless. If it wasn't for my discovery of MBV six years ago my music taste would be very different today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Ash all the way, but don't forget there still rocking in 2013, maybe a little less commercial but still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Were Turn from the 90s? If so, them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Loved A House. But they started out in the 80s. Got to see their farewell gig, slipped in the side door (think it was the Olympia) - quite emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Greatest Irish band of the 1990s was Fatima Mansions but they're not down here so I went with MBV. Loved Harvest Ministers too.......'Little Dark Mansion' was a lovely record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Boyzone, epic band.

Could be wrong but Would they be more early 00s. But would be the most ssuccessful bar u2 who I would have voted for by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Rollerskate Skinny

du Maurier wrote: »
    Rollerskate Skinny
    Ah, 'Speed To My Side'. Magnificent.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Could be wrong but Would they be more early 00s. But would be the most ssuccessful bar u2 who I would have voted for by the way.

Going out on a limb here but I suspect there was an element of sarcasm in his choice.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

the fourth dimension, around the day in eighty worlds, classic album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That Petrol Emotion for me.

Chemicrazy is just a stunning album. Scumsurfin and Sweet Shiver Burn are classics.

Notable mentions to Something Happens (first two albums were excellent), A House (On Our Big Fat Merry Go Round), the Golden Horde (only one album:(), the F&W, Whipping Boy and The Stunning.

And, of course, The Smiths/Morrissey. As Irish as it gets!! ;)

mosstin wrote: »
    Going out on a limb here but I suspect there was an element of sarcasm in his choice.

Is it because they wouldn't be considered a band by some people? Not a fan myself but they would be probably the most successful band of that era for sure bar U2 as I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Is it because they wouldn't be considered a band by some people? Not a fan myself but they would be probably the most successful band of that era for sure bar U2 as I said.

True, but we aint here to chat about mainstream bands like Boyzone,U2 or the cranberries..thats another discussion for another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I see Stiff Little Fingers on a poll for best Irish band of the 90s, that seems very wrong to me.
    Toss up between the Frank and Walters and The Fat Lady Sings. Far too many also rans to go into, it was a very good time for Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Lots to choose from in all fairness. Some of my favourites would be Whipping Boy, The Pale,Therapy and on a fun note for a great night of glam rock anyone remember The Glam Tarts? Aaaa the memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

No love for Toasted Heretic here?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Or the Joshua Trio?

old hippy wrote: »
    Or the Joshua Trio?

The same band as the glam tarts if I remember correctly and tont st james

mick121 wrote: »
    The same band as the glam tarts if I remember correctly and tont st james

Oops ment tony st james

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Is it right to have MBV in there? Only half the band are Irish. That line up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

iomega wrote: »
    Is it right to have MBV in there? Only half the band are Irish. That line up anyway.

I don't know? I must admit I didnt think too much about it as I seem to have missed them in the 90's but they where formed here so does that not make them Irish?

My Bloody Valentine are an alternative rock band formed in Dublin, Ireland, in 1983.m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bloody_Valentine_(band)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

No Cranberries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

seachto7 wrote: »
    No Cranberries?

No.....just no!

Someone else posted Boyzone earlier but I think it was in jest. Don't think U2 or cranberries are accepted because they wouldn't be considered real bands probably because of their commercial success...

How about Divine Comedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm not a fan of The Cranberries, or U2 as such, but I don't see how they couldn't be considered real bands? Cranberries had something on their first album for sure, but they're either loved or hated. Never really loved in Ireland though.
    Going by what I just wrote there could be an argument for The Corrs to be included!!

Let's be honest, most bands in that list, if they really were any good, they would still be going. Most of them just ran out of decent songs. A lot of them sounded like bad REM knock offs or American rock knock offs. Only band I see up there worthy is MBV followed by Therapy or SLF. Whipping Boy shone brightly for one class album, but they all fell out with each other innit...

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of The Cranberries, or U2 as such, but I don't see how they couldn't be considered real bands? Cranberries had something on their first album for sure, but they're either loved or hated. Never really loved in Ireland though.
    Going by what I just wrote there could be an argument for The Corrs to be included!!
    I like the Cranberries singles 'Dreams', 'Zombie', 'Ode To My Family' and 'Free To Decide' but I would never bother with any of their studio albums. Even the best-of that I had I used to just skip most of the songs on it.

They're far more univerally admired in North America, Australia and New Zealand compared to here. I think most people here stopped giving a toss about them 15 years ago.

Advertisement