Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite 90's Irish band

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah that's true. I never gave a toss about them the first day, nor have I met anyone who was ever influenced by them!

After listening to Ash, best of, they had a lot of catchy stuff. I'd put them up there as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I still make my yearly pilgrimage to Whelans for Something Happens! annual pre new years gig. Love that band!!!

I still make my yearly pilgrimage to Whelans for Something Happens! annual pre new years gig. Love that band!!!

Hi Tom!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

I like the Cranberries singles 'Dreams', 'Zombie', 'Ode To My Family' and 'Free To Decide' but I would never bother with any of their studio albums. Even the best-of that I had I used to just skip most of the songs on it.

They're far more univerally admired in North America, Australia and New Zealand compared to here. I think most people here stopped giving a toss about them 15 years ago.

Just about the worst song recorded by an Irish band or any band of any nationality in quite some time, possibly ever. Staggeringly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

mosstin wrote: »
    Just about the worst song recorded by an Irish band or any band of any nationality in quite some time, possibly ever. Staggeringly awful.
    Haha, I seem to like it for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

bassey wrote: »
    Striknien DC
    You Sir are a legend. These guys used to hang out at Fusion on Upper O'Connell Street and me and my buddies would see them every week. Lead singer we used to call him Sid bit I think his name was Deco or something similar. You brought back some happy memories from nearly 20 years ago.

Remember My Little Funhouse? I bought their album after they supported Guns N Roses at Slane in 1992. Decent enough band from Kilkenny.

Honourable mention to Stunning and The Pale

mosstin wrote: »

Funny that Zombie had more airplay than Nirvana in the States at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Kerbdog and Therapy? all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Ok a few flaws in my hastily thrown together poll ..really expected Whipping boy to run away with it..thats why I left U2 out :p
    SLF are from the 70's :FacePalm
    Another band I should have included where scheer and yip divine comedy worrthy of a spot.The North of Ireland produced some great bands in the 90's.Kilkenny was another hotspot,engine alley ,kerbog.While the North still throws up good bands not much happening in kilkenny,?

Stiff Little Fingers did make a comeback in the early 90's and released a couple of albums during the decade, so we can't really say you were wrong with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

notnumber wrote: »
    O.Kilkenny was another hotspot,engine alley ,kerbog.While the North still throws up good bands not much happening in kilkenny,?

Don't forget GOUT. Great live show.

Hard to choose.

MBV obviously great but their best LP and single was released in 1988.
    A House released four excellent albums in the 1990s.
    Thought the Frank and Walters debut wasn't great [too many tracks from the EPs and the other material was dull]. Their second and third albums were much better.
    Whipping Boy's Submarine is a much superior LP than Heartworm.

Other good ones.

The Would Be's. Three excellent singles released in 1990/1991.
    In Motion.
    Sunbear.
    Wormhole.
    Brawl.

Power of Dreams released two ok LPs.
    Into Paradise were also gloomily consistent.
    Pet Lamb's two 12"s are gloriously melodic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

what about an emotional fish, the fat lady sings, the 4 of us,the stunning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

the Wood Be's won a Rose of Tralee talent comp approx 20 years ago, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    MBV obviously great but their best LP and single was released in 1988.

I like Isn't Anything and all but no way is it better than Loveless.

Suas11 wrote: »
    I like Isn't Anything and all but no way is it better than Loveless.

A possible reason for preferring Isn't Anything over Loveless is timing/context.

I had three solid years of playing Isn't Anything weekly before Loveless was released in late 1991.

A lot of people I know who prefer IA heard it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    A possible reason for preferring Isn't Anything over Loveless is timing/context.

I had three solid years of playing Isn't Anything weekly before Loveless was released in late 1991.

A lot of people I know who prefer IA heard it first.

Nah, not for me. I had a year of listening to IA before Loveless but Loveless just blew it out of the water on its release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what about an emotional fish, the fat lady sings, the 4 of us,the stunning?

Indeed. Or PAMF. They were 90s, right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Stiff Little Fingers did their best stuff LONG before the 90s rolled around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Can you count the redneck manifesto. They were only formed in 1998

Can you count the redneck manifesto. They were only formed in 1998
    They didn't release anything until 2000 so I don't think you can call them the greatest Irish band of the 90's based on a few practice sessions and maybe a few pub gigs.

• Advertisement

THE DILLON FAMILY DANCERS

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You Sir are a legend. These guys used to hang out at Fusion on Upper O'Connell Street and me and my buddies would see them every week. Lead singer we used to call him Sid bit I think his name was Deco or something similar. You brought back some happy memories from nearly 20 years ago.

Remember My Little Funhouse? I bought their album after they supported Guns N Roses at Slane in 1992. Decent enough band from Kilkenny.

Honourable mention to Stunning and The Pale

Aye his name's Deko, still going strong with Paranoid Visions who reformed around 2005/2006.

Striknien's complete album Playing With Fire is an absolute classic

My Little Funhouse were American no? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did they support G&R and FNM at slane in 1992?
    Just realised that's 21 years ago. That makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No, all four original members were from kilkenny, all their sucess was achieved while they were based and recording in Ireland, they did become somewhat 'americanised' but that was ultimately their downfall.

No, all four original members were from kilkenny, all their sucess was achieved while they were based and recording in Ireland, they did become somewhat 'americanised' but that was ultimately their downfall.

I was being funny. ;-)

Yep. A guy from Kilkenny singing about "cookie jars" isn't going to last....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I was being funny. ;-)

Yep. A guy from Kilkenny singing about "cookie jars" isn't going to last....

lol I see the smiley now, I was having a blonde day yesterday!

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Stick Monkey

Ha JJ72 !!! What ever happened to them ? Why about The Stunning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

The Cranberries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Crikey, Ireland had some excellent 90's bands. And fat lady sings / mesner / revelino weren't even mentioned.

Advertisement