Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Game handshakes?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Who's terrible idea was that:confused:
    Ive nothing against coping other sports but it looks dreadful in gaa.
    Nothing wrong with the old way of shaking hands with opponent before and after game. Alot more natural than this modern rubbish.

Pre Game handshakes preference? 74 votes

Old way (shake hand of direct opponent)
    0% 0 votes
    New way (Be forced to shake everybody hand)
    91% 68 votes
    Dont care either way!
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Hardly makes a difference.

It would have been great fun after something like 'semplegate' a few years ago...if only it was implemented earlier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Contrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Why change something that doesnt need to be changed? Are we going to have situations in a few years like we have in the premiership where certain players wont shake hands? And all the **** that goes with that????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Seen this pre game handshake thing and was sickened by it You'll be at games n everyone will be staring at it thinking 'What is this charade' The traditional token handshake followed by shoulder Its what we are accustomed to it sets a hard hitting championship tone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Like the weigh in at a boxing fight.

There would have been some great handshakes in the past Meath - Cork and Meath - Dublin in the late eighties, Tyrone - Armagh ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Pig ignorant and barbaric would be one way of describing the actions of a player coming on and being jostled or jostling his opponent,if the referee took appropriate action and sent the offending muckspreader off it would put an end to something that has no part in the game,or at least its not in the rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Why change something that doesnt need to be changed? Are we going to have situations in a few years like we have in the premiership where certain players wont shake hands? And all the **** that goes with that????
    First thing that came to my mind. The Premier League seem to be moving towards getting rid of pre match handshakes after what's happened over the last few years. Can't see the point of bringing this in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't see the issue.

It is a good example for youngsters watching the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue.

What if someone got the runs and the hands were a bit dirty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue.

handshakes should be for after the match when everything is done and dusted...thats the time when sportsmanship comes into things.
    after you lose you have to be gracious in defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

This thread has given me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I never saw anything wrong with shaking hands with the fella you were marking, if you both felt like it. Sometimes it was just to tell a big rival opponent you were going to bury him, or he would tell me first, but making it look all nice and friendly for the ref to see. Handshakes after the game are right imo, leave all the hitting and bad blood on the pitch and all that.

Lining up players and forcing a handshake is pointless when you are going out onto the pitch for a hard hitting battle. Leave the handshakes til after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ethical wrote: »
    Pig ignorant and barbaric would be one way of describing the actions of a player coming on and being jostled or jostling his opponent,if the referee took appropriate action and sent the offending muckspreader off it would put an end to something that has no part in the game,or at least its not in the rules.

Couldn't agree more. You wouldn't expect it from pre-teens. I'm thinking of opening a thread called " Baboon of the week" to deal with it. You don't see it in rugby. Why? Because rugby is a man's game, where men take hard knocks, but don't dish out gratuitous ones. Yes, sometimes tempers flare - not to condone it, but that will happen in a physical contact game. But this pre-game yob " I'm here" intimidation reflects no credit on the Irish character. If it were happening in English soccer or among " the other side " in Northern Ireland we would never hear the end of it. Please don't tell them it happens here. It's embarrassing enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The Pre-match handshake has become a farce in the PL. Its become a bigger story than certain games themselves. Don't think its worth it having said that theres much bigger things about GAA to get worked up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

iDave wrote: »
    The Pre-match handshake has become a farce in the PL. Its become a bigger story than certain games themselves. Don't think its worth it having said that theres much bigger things about GAA to get worked up about.

Has it really? There have been over 5000 games with pre match handshakes in the PL and I remember there been instances in approx two of these.

This thread is pointless it makes feck all difference, it does go to show though that GAA supporters and Irish peole in general I guess just love to complain, its a nothing issue that has fcuk all adverse affect on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Soccer fans.:rolleyes:

no.SPORTS fan!!

no.SPORTS fan!!

Sports, especially contact sports (which soccer is not any more) contain various levels of physical contact, including jostling. Nothing in the slightest bit wrong or unusual about it and you'll find it hard to point out how it breaks the rules of either code.

Nut nah calling Joey Boland, who got 620 points for his LC, or John Lee - a doctor - a "muckdspreader" for hitting somebody a shoulder is being a "sports fan".

We can do without that kind "fan" thanks.

Fair play to the lads! well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Has it really? There have been over 5000 games with pre match handshakes in the PL and I remember there been instances in approx two of these.

This thread is pointless it makes feck all difference, it does go to show though that GAA supporters and Irish peole in general I guess just love to complain, its a nothing issue that has fcuk all adverse affect on anyone.

JT v Bridge, JT v QPR, Suarez v Evra, its 3 too many and its made a shambles of what it stood for. The entire week leading to those games all the talk was of what would happen.

And the thread isn't pointless, its a new development in GAA and this is a GAA forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

no.SPORTS fan!!

Maybe, but you've only ever posted on this forum four times. Three of them were on this thread where you called a jostle "barbaric" and the other was essentially just a scattered slur on Donegal and the Gooch (and by extension on the sport) two years ago, so I have a feeling you aren't much of a GAA fan. Certainly I wouldn't feel any compulsion to take your opinion seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

JT v Bridge, JT v QPR, Suarez v Evra, its 3 too many and its made a shambles of what it stood for. The entire week leading to those games all the talk was of what would happen.

And the thread isn't pointless, its a new development in GAA and this is a GAA forum

I've a pain in me nutz reading soccer related instances as a point of view when debating a Gaelic topic. We have 2 great sports that are distinctly ours, with our own rules - but countless times e.g last weeks tackle by Sean Cavanagh was related in some posts as a red card offence for denying a goal scoring opportunity ..wtf seriously!!! and the Suarez/Henry comparisons that have also arisen are just either poor research or lack of/no knowledge of Gaelic sports to attempt a realistic likening of one event with another.

I've no problem with the respect initiative in GAA, but there's a fawning attempt to demonstrate this ideal with the pre-match handshake lineup. I'm sure a lot of you like myself have run out of a dressing room ready to run through brick walls from the pre game gee ups from managers or mentors .. the last thing these fellas need is a love in. Ta .. not a go @ you Dave

So ban rasicts and adulterers fcuk all to do with the handshake or what it symbolises. And thats 3 out of 7980 btw (not including FA Cup) do the math, it is not an issue.

Its a new development that in the greater scheme of things means no difference to anyone or anything, it has zero impact on our games.

So ban rasicts and adulterers fcuk all to do with the handshake or what it symbolises. And thats 3 out of 7980 btw (not including FA Cup) do the math, it is not an issue.

Its a new development that in the greater scheme of things means no difference to anyone or anything, it has zero impact on our games.

So why do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What's the punishment going to be? You can't have a rule without a punishment for breaking that rule. So what's the punishment for a player that decides not to take part in a meaningless charade?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So why do it?

Im not bothered either way, my point is we have far more relevant and important issue within the GAA to be getting worked up about that something as trivial as this. It is the ultimate definition of a non-issue.

Maybe, but you've only ever posted on this forum four times.

So? Maybe the man is busy. I wasn't aware that one's commitment to a cause was measured by the number of their posts here. If I'd known that I'd have posted frequently in the Christianity forum to gain a few extra indulgences.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Sports, especially contact sports (which soccer is not any more) contain various levels of physical contact, including jostling. Nothing in the slightest bit wrong or unusual about it and you'll find it hard to point out how it breaks the rules of either code.

You seem to be missing the point. Ethical is referring to boorish behaviour OFF the ball.
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Nut nah calling Joey Boland, who got 620 points for his LC, or John Lee - a doctor - a "muckdspreader" for hitting somebody a shoulder is being a "sports fan".

I have no wish to direct criticism at either person, but you are confusing knowledge with wisdom and sporting, gentlemanly behaviour. Enver Hoxha did well in his exams too.

feargale wrote: »
    So? Maybe the man is busy. I wasn't aware that one's commitment to a cause was measured by the number of their posts here. If I'd known that I'd have posted frequently in the Christianity forum to gain a few extra indulgences.

True enough, but have you ever met anyone at a gaa game who would regard jostling as barbaric? Does that seem like something a fan of the sports we play, and with a feel for the spirit in which its played, would say? A jostle at the start of the game is nothing more than a statement of intent or determination. There's nothing malicious, harmful or dirty in it at all and I would suspect anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not really a fan, since such a huge misunderstanding is otherwise inexplicable. Hence, no need to take his view seriously

• Advertisement

You seem to be missing the point. Ethical is referring to boorish behaviour OFF the ball.

ethical behaviour, boorish, wtf are you on? It's not chess it's a contact sport!
    I have no wish to direct criticism at either person,

Considering neither of them have jobs that would include the spreading of muck, calling either of them a "muckdspreader" is the height of ignorance.
    you are confusing knowledge with wisdom and sporting, gentlemanly behaviour.

I think you'll find that the physical contact of a "howya" shoulder is not mutually exclusive with "sporting behaviour" in that those that are sporting do not go out to intentionally harm their competitors.

I can't remember the exact Jack Yeats quote but it goes something like:

Rugby is a game for ruffians, played by gentlemen.
    Soccer is a game for gentlemen, played by ruffians.
    Gaelic is a game for ruffians played by ruffians.
    Hurling is a game for gentlemen, played by gentlemen.
    Enver Hoxha did well in his exams too.

Apparently so did Jack Lynch and he'd have gotten away with far worse than anything we see on the pitch today.

Advertisement