Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son just got stabbed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sorry to hear about your son, Op, I'd imagine you're still in shock. I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Where did the stabbing take place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Geez people stop having ago at the OP for posting in boards while waiting in hospital, OP said his/her son is going to be fine, so they most likeley seen a doc and hes bandaged up or whatever, Its not like OPs son is bleeding out on the street and OP decided to post on boards ops son got stabbed while the son is dying, We've all experienced hospital waiting areas and sometimes you can be there for 7 or 8 hours you need something to pass the time like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sorry to hear that OP.

Was having a drink earlier in a bar around Camden Street (Dublin). Saw three young lads drinking bottles of beer walking down the street. One pulls out a screwdriver and tucks it back into his jocks.

What do you do in that situation? If there were a Garda around I'd have said something, but this is the city centre at 5pm, those lads would be gone in 5 mins. Kind of maddening you know some young lad is going to get that in the stomach some night, maybe not tonight, and you can't do anything about it.

I was walking to the luas stop at Smithfield market. There was a group of teenagers there and one was saying to the others "just don't let them catch you with it" while putting a screwdriver into his tracksuit bottoms. It was around 4 or 5pm and I bricked it thinking I was going to be mugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Geez people stop having ago at the OP for posting in boards while waiting in hospital, OP said his/her son is going to be fine, so they most likeley seen a doc and hes bandaged up or whatever, Its not like OPs son is bleeding out on the street and OP decided to post on boards ops son got stabbed while the son is dying, We've all experienced hospital waiting areas and sometimes you can be there for 7 or 8 hours you need something to pass the time like
    About a month ago I spent the night in the Mater, while the aul' fella was having a barrage of tests done for sudden severe chest pains. This site is a great way to pass the time when the coffee machine is out of order and you've nothing to do but wait...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

scudzilla wrote: »
    Your son just got stabbed, you're sitting in hospital and you come on boards and post in AH

Well done OP
    Ever thought - you might be the person your mother warned you about.

Small bit of empathy never went astray, if you can feel it.

• Advertisement

Feck. Never in the field of online prat control have so many been shot down by so few.

- I paraphrase, of course.

Mod

yop infracted and instructed not to post on this thread again.

Can we please move on from the fact the OP has posted on boards. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Ah I know. Just always think these things happen to other people. the usual scumbags..looking for smokes then started on a few of them. He was really lucky he ran away and a woman helped them and rang the gaurds.

Very sorry to hear it, Op. One of mine was assaulted in a "nice area" too some years ago - a weapon was used also. It's a relief to know he's going to be OK but maddening that these sorts of events are so prevalent in our society. Your son was indeed wise to run; it's often the "tough guys" who fight when they can avoid it who are killed.

Don't expect too much support from the legal system. Individually I found the Gardaí to be fine but the system was not well suited to getting a conviction against the assailant.

In the UK the statistics show that sharp weapons (knives, screwdrivers etc) are used in about 50% of attacks on men, and it seems to be about the same here.. That's a very good reason to avoid a conflict whenever possible, but when the gang approaches with the "got any smokes" line there is going to be trouble because it's always a set-up. The best advice, as unpalatable as it is to men, is to run from the outset.

Best wishes for your son,

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Last time I was in the A&E in the middle of the night I got a singsong going, it was great fun. I wasn't drunk or anything either, was just there collecting someone.

Thinking back, I probably picked a bad song considering where we were but everybody sang along happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well he/she has already said that he's going to be ok. Imagine being in a waiting room on your own, with your thoughts racing - OP is probably just looking for some reassurance.

Well AH is definitely the place for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

scudzilla wrote: »
    Well AH is definitely the place for that

I feel sorry for people with this sad mentality ''AH is the wildest place on the internet!! only a real bad ass would come here!!'' '' We pretend to be real hard and LOL at people's misfortune LOL ''

It's embarrassing get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I guess you have a long night ahead of you OP. Any idea when he can come home? If he's been admitted will a consultant have to check him before allowing him home?
    We've done a few night time stints in Temple St with our little fella. Usually nothing more serious than a very high temperature. I'm always happy once he's been seen and in "their" care.

But the night does drag. See if you can get your hands on a charger for your phone. Otherwise you'll have to nurse the battery to get through the night. If you can't get a charger, knock off the wifi and GPS to squeeze a bit more out of it. Unless of course the hospital provides free wifi.

Take a walk every hour or so up a different part of the hospital for a change of scene. You may find some big comfy seats somewhere where you can manage a power nap.

So glad your son will be ok OP.

What about you? Are you ok? May take awhile before the reality of what happened kicks in. So, stay on here as long as you need to. I have faith in the moonlight boardsies and their powers of making it through the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Have a cup of sweet tea to calm the nerves op, hope the boy will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You should try to get some sleep. You'll have a busy day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

What was he stabbed over? I like to hear the full story before I offer my sympathies.

What was he stabbed over? I like to hear the full story before I offer my sympathies.
    Are you for real?!?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

..and what was the rape victim wearing though? I like to hear the full story before I offer my sympathies

Sorry to hear that OP.

Was having a drink earlier in a bar around Camden Street (Dublin). Saw three young lads drinking bottles of beer walking down the street. One pulls out a screwdriver and tucks it back into his jocks.

What do you do in that situation? If there were a Garda around I'd have said something, but this is the city centre at 5pm, those lads would be gone in 5 mins. Kind of maddening you know some young lad is going to get that in the stomach some night, maybe not tonight, and you can't do anything about it.
    It's a ****. I remember sitting outside my house and seeing a few lads coming along and one went behind a car for a second. Then I saw a Garda car coming in the other direction. When it passed the lads and out of sight the same guy went back to the car and as they walked past me smiled at me brandishing a machete. I managed to look cool but that was just because I was smoking at the time.

Tarmac or possibly concrete. Does that help with the sympathy or do you need more grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Genuinely hope the boy is ok and gets over this. Assault on anyone, nevermind a child is not something to be ridiculed

Close this thread gets my vote.

OP. If you read this, hope your sons OK.

And....... Unfollow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah OP at first I was like "what is the story posting this here?" but doesn't matter, hope your son will be ok and the muppets who did this get nailed to a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sitting in the hospital. Bored but really relieved that he is going to be ok. I didnt really think I lived in that bad an area or that it happens to others. Jesus I hate scumbags

Your son has been stabbed and you're BORED!.. ffs I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Your son has been stabbed and you're BORED!.. ffs I give up.

Yes and I am absolutely delighted and relieved to be bored. Thrilled in fact when I think how lucky he is and I am that he ia ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They should really get the finger out now before stabbing becomes as big a problem as it is in London and Glasgow.
    I don't see why you can't give a minimum of 10years for stabbing someone. That ought to clamp down on it a fair bit.

for the deleted

You'd be surprised at the sort of stuff that runs through your head when a close family member is sick or injured or whatever and there isnt much more you can do about it. Whether it is something you would or wouldnt do is almost entirely irrelevant but it's probably little different to walking up to the security guard at midnight and mentioning your son got hurt. He might turn out to be the best conversation and empathy you had all night and stop your mind racing, or he might shrug his shoulders and turn up the TV to 11 while you wait for the next 8 hours to hear if your child has been born or not.
    You might never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Speedy recovery to the victim. Harsh justice for the offender. This thread should be locked. Mods taking time to hand out infractions when they could have locked the thread is strange.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes and I am absolutely delighted and relieved to be bored. Thrilled in fact when I think how lucky he is and I am that he ia ok.

Honestly, as a father of two I'm flabbergasted.

I'm actually astounded that you're bored and not seething in anger or in turmoil at the situation that you and your son find yourself.

But I wish you son a very speedy recovery, and you a does of reality.

"bored" for crying out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think whoopsy and other mods are doing the right thing by trying to weed out the unhelpful posts. The message is getting across when even other mods are now ninja-deleting their posts in fear.

If the OP came here for a bit of support and chat to help through a tough
    night then shouldn't the thread be kept open to facilitate that?

A guy is sitting at home when he hears a knock at the door. He opens the door and sees a snail on the porch. He picks up the snail and throws it as far as he can. Three years later, there’s a knock on the door. He opens it and sees the same snail. The snail says "What the hell was that all about?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement