Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Anyone know what the maximum download speeds are for Windows XP. Had 200mb UPC before but could only ever get 80mb and the wireless on the Horizon box was woeful, brutal coverage, had to nearly sit on the box to get any kind of signal for phone/laptop/tablet. Had a far superior wireless service when using on UPC Modem / Netgear router combination. Switched from UPC to Sky last June as a result of the dire service offered by their Horizon system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Most xp machines only have 100 baseT cards so max download is 70-80 megs. Also mostly they would have B/G wifi cards, not N which woould mean 20-30 ish megs wireless at best.(theoretical 54 on G cards).
    A wireless N would give you 60-70 at best in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

hitbit wrote: »
    Anyone know what the maximum download speeds are for Windows XP. Had 200mb UPC before but could only ever get 80mb and the wireless on the Horizon box was woeful, brutal coverage, had to nearly sit on the box to get any kind of signal for phone/laptop/tablet. Had a far superior wireless service when using on UPC Modem / Netgear router combination. Switched from UPC to Sky last June as a result of the dire service offered by their Horizon system.

200Mb/s is no problem on Horizon,..... provided you have a 1000Mb/s ethernet card !
    Wifi will never give you anything like max speed, even te latest 802.11 AC will give 150mB at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

hitbit wrote: »
    Most xp machines only have 100 baseT cards so max download is 70-80 megs. Also mostly they would have B/G wifi cards, not N which woould mean 20-30 ish megs wireless at best.(theoretical 54 on G cards).

Out of curiosity I have a XP SP3 machine here. Just tested it on my 120mb. Get 122mb wired directly, (Gigabit Ethernet) and about 70~80 with a WiFi N adapter, sitting in front of my router. (I'm using my own cheap TP link wifi router 2.4)

I know from experience my WiFi N speeds drop off a lot (20mb or less) when I move away from this room. Or just randomly. I assume though interference, either from other networks, or other devices in the house. For that reason I tend to use a powerline ethernet adapter which gives me about 70 ish around the house. Thats on my Win8 devices none of which have Gigabit Ethernet.

I think you need a good dual band 802.11ac wifi router or Gigabit Ethernet wired to get the best out of the higher UPC speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi there,

I just noticed a newer menu on my Horizon box, under advanced settings - Horizon TV HD+ Box, relating to the new Multiroom Box Installation ..

Has anyone heard if they have started trialling any of these new box installations ?

I have 2 extra Multiroom boxes with my Horizon box and would be interested how these new slave Horizon Multiroom boxes would work ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

These boxes seems to be able to connect to the main Horizon box in three ways:
    Ethernet cable (which I would prefer)
    Wi-Fi
    Coax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

paulboland wrote: »
    Just to let you know
    Horizon Wireless 5GHz is active on the Horizon Box

Its now Dual Wireless
    2.4GHz and 5GHz

Great Update
    You can use both Wireless same time

I tested 5GHz on my iPhone 5s works great

Any reason my chromecast app can't find my 5ghz Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I don't have chromecast so not possible for me to test its ability in using 5Ghz Wi-Fi

I do see though they are releasing soon a updated version chromecast 2.0 that fully supports 5GHz Wi-Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

paulboland wrote: »
    I don't have chromecast so not possible for me to test its ability in using 5Ghz Wi-Fi

I do see though they are releasing soon a updated version chromecast 2.0 that fully supports 5GHz Wi-Fi

Cheers

The specs on google site (scroll to bottom) are crystal clear

Wireless
    2.4 GHz WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Chromecast?id=chromecast&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

Hi, can anybody help with out with 2 questions

1)

The Horizon Go website player won't work for me. I am able to access Sky Go so my Silverlight player is fine but the UPC player won't work in either Chrome of Firefox. UPC helpdesk suggested the issue was due to my laptop (the site previously worked fine but I was setting my laptop up to access my work environment recently and may have changed some settings). Any idea what may have happened?

2)

Is there a way to use the android version of the Horizon app on chromecast?

on 2, you can screen mirror to chromecast which may work, You cat actually cast withing the app itself.

on 1 what isnt working specifically? Im using the app at the moment on win8.1 Chrome

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It doesn't have it. The next version, which hasn't been announced but has gone through FCC approval, does though.

At ~30 quid and the last device in the house on 2.4 I'll be buying one immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

on 2, you can screen mirror to chromecast which may work, You cat actually cast withing the app itself.

on 1 what isnt working specifically? Im using the app at the moment on win8.1 Chrome

On the web version when I click on a channel to play the silver light player buffers for a few seconds and then goes blank. Sky Go works ok though.

I'm using vista

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Got a horizon box on Friday, set it up, TV working fine, but Internet isn't

It's a Samsung SMT-G7400, used to have the old silver box and a Thompson modem.

Can log onto the box and run a tracert to 8.8.8.8 it works fine.

When I try on a laptop hooked up via Ethernet cable I get a "Reply from 192.168.192.1: destination port unreachable" either to google.ie or 8.8.8.8. The google.ie does resolve so it doesn't seem to be a DNS issue.

same with firewall on or off and with multiple devices, whether over ethernet or via WiFi

Have reset box to defaults and still the same issue, and turned on/off multiple times.

Any body seen this before or anything specific to the Samsung box?

probably a provisioning issue with the broadband, should be easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 caherboy

Activated the 240Mb TV/Broadband package tonight. Consistently get 20Meg Upload speed which is fine. The Download is crap though, less than a Meg for a while and now getting 4Meg!!

Could this be a provisioning issue?

are those wired or wireless speeds?

Prob not a provisioning issue if you have broadband at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Newbie here with Horizon.

On 240mb but only getting around 30 to 50mb's on wireless. Want to check how fast it is on a direct hook up but my laptop has no ethernet port..usb only.
    How can I connect the Horizon box to my laptop is a situation like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A USB2 or USB3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity why is 30 -50 meg to a laptop not enough?

I get you're paying for 240 and want your laptop to get that but for literally 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of internet use the difference is negligible between 30-50 and 240.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I get you're paying for 240 and want your laptop to get that but for literally 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of internet use the difference is negligible between 30-50 and 240.

30-50 is plenty for me....just wanted to check how much UPC were actually sending through and whether the 240mb claim is BS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

As mentioned a lot of times (in this thread) before, the limitation is on your wireless, not the internet connection of your box.
    If you hook your laptop up wired to the Horizon box you will receive the (nearly) maximum internet connection. At least I do. And if you have a good wireless card in your laptop like an Intel advanced card which do have a/b/g/n possibilities and can handle up to a theoretical 450 Mb/s (yes they do, but practical you might end up to more than 250 Mb/s) you might receive that speed. Unfortunately, the wifi hardware in the Horizon box doesn't support up to that speeds.

What are you doing with your laptop? Why do you need such a high speed on your laptop? 50 Mb/s is still fast enough to play 3 to 4 HD streams simultaneous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Sorry I'm only getting back to you all now.
    Thanks for the help.

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone know if this coax cable will work with newer version of the Horizon box?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-70-DV6204&brands=FLEMMING

Cheers....

What newer version of the horizon box?

The cable has got the right ends for the box to UPC F type wall socket. You wouldn't want to be using to long a run of that as I'd imagine its pretty unshielded cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The cable has got the right ends for the box to UPC F type wall socket. You wouldn't want to be using to long a run of that as I'd imagine its pretty unshielded cable.

Nice one thanks, I believe the current one being issued has a few updates on the original one....

Its literally about 3.5metres from the box so hopefully that one will do me!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Trond wrote: »
    Nice one thanks, I believe the current one being issued has a few updates on the original one....

Does the box look any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Joo0 wrote: »
    Does the box look any different?
    Or maybe he means the Horizon, newer being new compared to the normal UPC box?

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »

3.5 Meters is a reasonably long run. If you can get a well shielded cable like RG6 or CT100 quality.

The box isn't new, just the versions of software so the physical requirements are the same.

Advertisement