Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This has been really bugging me...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What you your eating a doctor oetker pizza ristorante,you need a fork they have no crust to hold on to.

I eat them without a fork all the time. You're doing it wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Learn to cook rice properly and you wont have this problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Why do people in Ireland eat rice... with a fork and knife...?

Why not a spoon instead of the knife, would make more sense... no ? :confused:

I've been eating rice with a spoon since day 1 - so was just curious as to why this isn't the case over here.

You seriously have little to worry you :rolleyes:
    I mean in the grand scheme of things , does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Why do people in Ireland eat rice... with a fork and knife...?

I've been eating rice with a spoon since day 1 - so was just curious as to why this isn't the case over here.

OP I suggets you buy a Spork.
    All the forkiness you might need it a spoon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

1Emanresu1 wrote: »
    in india,you eat rice with ur hands

They use their right hand for eating, left for wiping their asses, (not at the same time)..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Asian people, who predominantly use chopsticks, have a technique resembling flicking the rice from close quarters into their mouth. I don't think it is a very dignified way to eat at a Western table. Using chopsticks to eat the rest of the meal is much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I stopped using a spoon to eat dinner when I was taught to use a knife and fork as a child. Other than for soup, cereal or dessert it looks kind of knac*erish when adults use a spoon to eat solid food.

I was talking about rice, with a spoon - you sound as though you're on about using a spoon on a big piece of steak...

And FYI, Rice IS a cereal!

-.-;
    oldyouth wrote: »
    Asian people, who predominantly use chopsticks, have a technique resembling flicking the rice from close quarters into their mouth. I don't think it is a very dignified way to eat at a Western table. Using chopsticks to eat the rest of the meal is much easier

There's more countries in Asia than just China and Japan, ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Spoons work best for things that flow easily off them into your mouth: Soup, ice cream etc. Rice tends to stick to utensils, and it's easier to fit a fork in your mouth than a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Asians generally use a shorter grain rice which is stickier than the long grain white rice we use. It's sticky enough to pick up lumps of it with chopsticks. Also in Asian countries it's not rude to bring your bowl up to your mouth to shove the last bits of rice inside.

When eating long grain rice I tend to use a fork because there are other foods on my plate and it's handier than having to swap between a fork for meat and veg and a spoon for rice.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Spoons work best for things that flow easily off them into your mouth: Soup, ice cream etc. Rice tends to stick to utensils, and it's easier to fit a fork in your mouth than a spoon.

Guess I got a big mouth than.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Because windmills.

We're just use to using a knife and fork eating dinner, so we just stay using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Same with pizza. There is no sane reason why we cannot use our hands rather than forks.
    I always eat pizza with my hands, even in a restaurant. I find it very odd that people eat their (pre sliced...) pizza with a knife and fork in restaurants. Lets face it, if you're ordering pizza it's probably not a Michelin star restaurant anyway. And even if it were, it's still a daft idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sure why don't we go the whole hog and eat our mash with a spoon?!

(Awaits madmen to post who do just that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What I don't get is people mushing the food onto the back of the fork for no reason other than etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

kowloon wrote: »
    What I don't get is people mushing the food onto the back of the fork for no reason other than etiquette.

Don't tell me you scoop with your fork?!

/drops monocle into brandy in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

If the straw doesn't work, I usually find shovel / spade is more capable for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was talking about rice, with a spoon - you sound as though you're on about using a spoon on a big piece of steak...

And FYI, Rice IS a cereal!

-.-;

There's more countries in Asia than just China and Japan, ye know.
    Ooh hark at her, you know that I meant breakfast cereal

Ooh hark at her, you know that I meant breakfast cereal

RICE Krispies?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

a few bugs is fine, just increases the protein content and adds a little flavour.

Any other major worries in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Maybe if you're eating a plate of plain rice with nothing else I might be able to understand the rice/spoon scenario. But I like to have accompaniments to my rice and adding a spoon to the mix just complicates things. I'd have to use the fork to help me cut any meat/veg and then revert back to the spoon for the rice scooping. Too many utensils for one meal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

fork and spoon??? now that would be awkward!.. I can't even manage that right for spaghetti!

Is there any major difference between using spoon or fork when it comes to rice? Both "shovel" the rice pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Myself, the OH and my daughter went to an Italian restaurant in Waterford a few years ago and ordered pizza.

No chopsticks, no knife and fork just, three pairs of SCISSORS. I sh!t you not.

Now thats just fu@ked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Myself, the OH and my daughter went to an Italian restaurant in Waterford a few years ago and ordered pizza.

No chopsticks, no knife and fork just, three pairs of SCISSORS. I sh!t you not.

Now thats just fu@ked up.

waterford? hmmm, I pass there visiting fam the odd time, know the restuarant? I have to see that :P

Did the pizzas not come pre-cut? o0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

waterford? hmmm, I pass there visiting fam the odd time, know the restuarant? I have to see that :P

Did the pizzas not come pre-cut? o0

It was La Taverna by City Square on the High Street next to The Happy Garden Chinese, and no, it was not pre cut. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Royal.Baby

Why would some in this day and age eat a pizza with there hands?

Are some people neanderthals who aren't aware that we actually have utensils for this kind of thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Irish no clue bout chop sticks - dey use Maide Briste for evertthings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

1ZRed wrote: »
    The Chinese have it ALL wrong. Just use a damn fork, your dinner would be cold by the time you ate all the rice using two sticks

Nonsense!

I eat rice dishes with chopsticks all the time and unless the rice is swimming in sauce I can clear the plate. The advantage (for me) is that it allows me to pace myself better, as I'd wolf down a rice meal in a minute or two if I used a fork, even less if I used a spoon!!

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Come to Spain where you'll be given a knife and fork with a donut or an orange

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Why do people in Ireland eat rice... with a spoon...?

Why not chopsticks instead of the spoon, would make more sense... no ?

I've been eating rice with chopsticks since day 1 - so was just curious as to why this isn't the case over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I use my willy

Advertisement