Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This has been really bugging me...

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Why do people in Ireland eat rice... with a fork and knife...?

Why not a spoon instead of the knife, would make more sense... no ? :confused:

I've been eating rice with a spoon since day 1 - so was just curious as to why this isn't the case over here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I eat rice with a knife.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I see you have played forky-spoony before

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I have never seen anybody eat rice pudding with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Why do people in Ireland eat rice... with a fork...?

Why not a spoon, would make more sense... no ? :confused:

I've been eating rice with a spoon since day 1 - so was just curious as to why this isn't the case over here.

This, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Because it would require an extra utensil, when the fork you're using to eat the rest of your dinner does the job just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm sure a spoon would be able to hold more grains of rice than the fork... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I eat rice with my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a bit retarded in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Same with pizza. There is no sane reason why we cannot use our hands rather than forks. People seem to feel under pressure to unthinkingly conform to a perceived dining etiquette (which is of course very different to manners, not that most people would think about it).

Manners, for me, is far more important than etiquette and there's no bad manners attached to eating rice with a spoon or pizza with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It's better than eating it with two sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 1Emanresu1

in india,you eat rice with ur hands

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I use a spoon

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I eat knives and forks using rice.

1Emanresu1 wrote: »

I used to do that once in awhile back when I was living in Malaysia, better yet... eating with your hands on a banana leaf! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Same with pizza. There is no sane reason why we cannot use our hands rather than forks. People seem to feel under pressure to unthinkingly conform to a perceived dining etiquette (which is of course very different to manners, not that most people would think about it).

Manners, for me, is far more important than etiquette and there's no bad manners attached to eating rice with a spoon or pizza with your hands.

People eat pizza with a knife and a fork?? :confused:

Madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

whirlpool wrote: »
    Because it would require an extra utensil, when the fork you're using to eat the rest of your dinner does the job just fine.

Can't believe I wasted my 1,000th post explaining why people eat rice with a fork.

Can't believe I wasted my 1,000th post explaining why people eat rice with a fork.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

1Emanresu1 wrote: »

I won't forget the struggling to shovel down the less than edible road dal bhat with my untrained hands covered in road crud, motor oil, petrol, brake fluid and anything else that could leak out of our bikes. It put me off dal bhat much to the annoyance of my friend who's there years. Even the nice home made dal bhat that I had later turned my stomach.

Of course it's dal bhat for dinner and that's alright but it was the breakfast dal bhat that used to kill me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Because how would I eat my dinner with a knife and spoon? It's just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Saving it for a something special were ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Why not use a straw to suck up the rice?

Much more efficient.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I won't forget the struggling to shovel down the less than edible road dal bhat with my untrained hands covered in road crud, motor oil, petrol, brake fluid and anything else that could leak out of our bikes. It put me off dal bhat much to the annoyance of my friend who's there years. Even the nice home made dal bhat that I had later turned my stomach.

Of course it's dal bhat for dinner but it's the breakfast dal bhat that used to kill me...

How about washing your hands next time. :/
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Because how would I eat my dinner with a knife and spoon? It's just stupid

'Fork and Spoon' or 'Fork and Knife' --- Didn't say Knife and Spoon. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

'Fork and Spoon' or 'Fork and Knife' --- Didn't say Knife and Spoon. :pac:

How would I cut meat with a fork and spoon? The Chinese have it ALL wrong. Just use a damn fork, your dinner would be cold by the time you ate all the rice using two sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

o1s1n wrote: »
    People eat pizza with a knife and a fork?? :confused:

Madness!!

Because a fork is really necessary to eat a pizza with, isn't it. Just impossible to eat one without it? Well done on gloriously missing the point once again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ya, forgot to say that over there, water is magic apparently. Just a brief rinse under some water out of a well and voila, you're good to go. I brought hand sanitiser but it didn't last long. My mate said "they consider washing with water the same way your mother would consider the full on annual milton scrub". Every little twinge your belly gives you has you praying to shiva...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I just throw it all in a blender and shoot it with a syringe. Forks and spoons are for pussys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

I would use a spoon if it was just a bowl of rice,but if the dish contained meat then the spoons a no go,have you ever tried using a spoon knife combo,it just doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because a fork is really necessary to eat a pizza with, isn't it. Just impossible to eat one without it? Well done on gloriously missing the point once again anyway.

You stated that;
    There is no sane reason why we cannot use our hands rather than forks. People seem to feel under pressure to unthinkingly conform to a perceived dining etiquette (which is of course very different to manners, not that most people would think about it).

I replied in agreement, baffled that people use a knife and a fork for eating pizza (not something I can say I've witnessed on a regular basis)

Can't see what point I missed. Unless of course you were engaged in some kind of high level meta sarcasm which a simple layperson such as myself would never pick up on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

o1s1n wrote: »
    I replied in agreement, baffled that people use a knife and a fork for eating pizza (not something I can say I've witnessed on a regular basis)

What you your eating a doctor oetker pizza ristorante,you need a fork they have no crust to hold on to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I stopped using a spoon to eat dinner when I was taught to use a knife and fork as a child. Other than for soup, cereal or dessert it looks kind of knac*erish when adults use a spoon to eat solid food.

Advertisement