Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does anyone get upset by the sexuality or gender identity of others?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Yeh I knew a guy like that - he had no time for gay men, other than sex. He only hung out with women and a few hetero guys.
    I don't get it. My best friend is a gay guy and he doesn't like gay clubs or extreme camp, but he doesn't hate gay men who are camp.
    There can be many reasons for it, some gay men can be very catty in the same way some lesbians can be very territorial. (in a bullying kind of way) There can be a lot of competitiveness and "The scene" can sometimes be a conglomeration of all the worst bits of humanity and if you're the kind of person who's not into that as a way of life it can really turn you off being associated with it, it can make you question your own identity as you wonder what part of this culture you are supposed to represent and by rejecting it you are essentially rejecting aspects of yourself. The problem is these are personality traits and not homosexual ones so maybe that what he is distancing himself from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Didnt mean to offend - just pointing out like flogggggg that felching is a fairly uncommon practice really

No hassle, I retract my offence.

Look I don't know what else to say. I suppose all sexualities may at times exaggerate their exploits.

This may have not actually have happened but he still says he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

floggg wrote: »
    Knowing what he's had in his mouth, I'd rather not take him any way!

Yeah, iv stopped kissing him now because of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

discus wrote: »
    its crass to suggest that a man is ignorant if he is upset by the fact that he has slept with a former man. If someone expects respect for their gender idenity to be recognised, surely respect should be shown to those who don't want to sleep with transgendered men?

I dont think its crass at all

Most trans WOMEN would not go around "tricking" men into sleeping with them and would be honest beforehand.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No hassle, I retract my offence.

Look I don't know what else to say. I suppose all sexualities may at times exaggerate their exploits.

This may have not actually have happened but he still says he did it.

It was a bit of a catty remark but I guess what I was kind of getting at is that really felching isn't common at all and that perhaps by focusing on it there was an implicit suggestion that it is something very common amongst gay/bi men

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

floggg wrote: »
    I like to think of myself as an average gay guy. And this average gay guy has heard a lot of straight guys, from a very broad spectrum, share details of their sex lives quite freely.

I've also never heard of anybody into feltching. I'm still not certain it's something people actually do. It most certainly isn't mainstream.

I have been part of conversations where people discussed their experiences of rimming though - on both occassions they were straight guys doing the talking.

I guess I may be talking from a my own biased perspective tbh, I would've known of felching, rimming, snowballing, a2m and fisting more commonly among my straight friends and wouldn't have immediately associated it as being peculiar to the LGBT community.

But that would I guess as mango points out depend on the company you keep, and most of my friends would be straight females, I wouldn't talk to so many of my LGBT friends about their bedroom exploits, and I would've known of these types of sexual activities before I knew people had names for them! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I guess I may be talking from a my own biased perspective tbh, I would've known of felching, rimming, snowballing, a2m and fisting more commonly among my straight friends and wouldn't have immediately associated it as being peculiar to the LGBT community.:pac:
    I probably don't want to know, but what's a2m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Google it :D

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Am I really perverted that I don't have to google any of this stuff? :/

Ah well, that's how I roll :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

wexie wrote: »

;)

oh_god_zps7d68118f.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

;)
    Just did, it was the abbreviation that confused me!

And again, sounds delightful. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

timthumbni wrote: »
    I will be honest and say I was homophobic when younger simply because of ignorance. Not anything major as to be honest i didnt know anyone gay but just the normal rubbish talking bs with mates etc.

When i started work One of my bosses was gay and we got on like a house on fire. I left my girlfriend and am now happily with reinaldo for 4 years.

The last sentence was in jest but the gay fella is now one of my closest friends and I don't really give a monkeys anymor about this issue. I still wind up my gay friend about his lifestyle but not in a mocking way rather the same way I would take the piss out of my mates.

I think it comes down to the fact that basically humans are just &ricks.

I was much the same. I mean, massively homophobic when I was younger. Just terrible, and nobody could convince me I was wrong. Nobody.

Then one day, I was looking on the web at a series of newspaper cartoons, all based around the topic of Gay marriage. (Dunno why, maybe the universe/ a deity/ my fairy Godmother or Godfather was guiding me.) I stumbled across a cartoon which had the typical Fred Phelps-like caricature of a Bible-Basher saying 'We cannot allow our children to see this!!!' while holding a newspaper with numerous headlines such as 'Tornado kills 100', 'Suicide-bomber kills 20 people, and numerous other depressing and disturbing headlines, and then one, small little headline saying 'Romantic vows of love, honour and respect exchanged in California between loving couple'. Like a thunderbolt, my mind was changed, and I still cannot explain why that editorial cartoon completely changed my mind, but I am eternally grateful that it did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

;)
    And there's a few youtube clips from Clerks 2 about it too, hehe.

As for the original question: fear of the unknown (to them) and ignorance would be the main two issues I reckon, possibly coupled with knackerism and being a degenerate who loves causing a bit of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

entropi wrote: »
    And there's a few youtube clips from Clerks 2 about it too, hehe.

You never go a2m!

Advertisement