Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does anyone get upset by the sexuality or gender identity of others?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

wexie wrote: »
    eh no....I was worried I'd offended my friend by not caring, as it turns out he didn't want me to care cause it would have no impact on me. He was still the same guy I'd gotten to know, still the same guy I became friends with.

So nothing had changed, other than that I now knew he was gay (bisexual as it turns out) which really......made no difference to me. (actually it kinda did, I now could have lots of fun dancing and flirting with him when my girl friend was around, he was really cute when he blushed :D)

I give up :(

I wasn't trying to be obtuse or confrontational or anything but I'm noticing more and more online and offline that people are tripping over themselves almost to be seen as all righteous and so on, and anyone that doesn't declare how righteous they are, are somewhat looked down upon as being immediately bigoted, racist, <insert some other derogatory term here depending on the situation>...

It's almost like the "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality, when in reality, it's more like- some people just don't feel a need to give a fiddlers.

It wasn't anything personal against you wexie, I was more just using your post as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

floggg wrote: »
    I can guarantee your average gay person has heard far more graphic details about their straight friends sex lives.

You may well be right. I still don't want to know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hold on there horse. Lets not get carried away now. Don't assume you know how I grew up or what my sexual boundaries are.

I didn't grow up thinking gay sex is "sick".

When my friend wants to tell me about how him and two other guys spent the night felching and snowballing each other....I just don't need to know about it.

The same way I don't need to know about the details of my heterosexual friends sex lives.

Nothing about being disgusted, I just don't need to know about it.

Do you actually know anybody who feltches?

I find it hard to believe anybody actually does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I've been to Jamaica twice in the last three years. It is paradise but they have some pretty fcuked up attitudes towards gays. I got to know this really sound Jamaican girl but when I had a conversation about homosexuality with her her attitudes were just depressing. I told her one of my best friends was gay and she said 'Aren't you worried he will rape you'?A lot of it comes from the church in Jamaica, that and it's a very macho society.

People should have a look at a documentary called Call Me Kuchu. It's bad in Jamaica but worse in Uganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Im not fully ok with the idea of homosexuality or the like but Jesus Christ if one of me mates came out I dont think Id beat him, stab him, shoot him and roll over him in my car :eek:

But that's also a part of the mentality I just literally cannot get my head around. I mean no disrespect, I just literally don't get not being OK with how two other people who aren't me choose to identify themselves and relate to each other. I'm straight myself so perhaps I'm being incredibly naieve with this entire thread, but caring about other peoples sexuality, identity and/or interpersonal relationships is a completely alien concept to me.

It's honestly as bizzare as someone coming up to me and saying "I'm not fully OK with the idea of people being black" - it makes about as much sense...

• Advertisement

Well I know one gay friend who told me he was felched by a guy, who in turn passed the jizz into another guys mouth then into my friends mouth.....so he says.

Hence, one reason why I don't want to know.....as he takes a mouthful of my pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Czarcasm wrote: »

I wasn't trying to be obtuse or confrontational or anything but I'm noticing more and more online and offline that people are tripping over themselves almost to be seen as all righteous and so on, and anyone that doesn't declare how righteous they are, are somewhat looked down upon as being immediately bigoted, racist, <insert some other derogatory term here depending on the situation>...

It's almost like the "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality, when in reality, it's more like- some people just don't feel a need to give a fiddlers.

It wasn't anything personal against you wexie, I was more just using your post as an example.

errr...Didn't take it personal at all. Just trying to understand what you're trying to say. I'm not trying to be righteous or anything (although sometimes I try to talk like Crush the Turtle from Finding Nemo but that's only to amuse my kids) I just don't give a hoot whether you like winkies or pussies. As long as you're not after mine or my OH's :D

And I'm really not all that happy go lucky, I'm perfectly happy condemning people to a lifetime of misery (or the death penalty). Just not over who they happen to feel like shagging.

Sit in the middle lane of the M50 doing 80 though......:mad:

And yet you can guarantee that your average gay person has heard more graphic details about their straight friends sex lives?

I can guarantee your average gay person has heard far more graphic details about their straight friends sex lives.

I actually find THAT harder to believe tbh, but then I'd know a few felchers and snowballers. Hardly THAT hard to believe that some people engage in such practices surely?

Not something I'd personally be into myself, but I do know of people that enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

C, you really overthink things at times. I thought that wexie's point was that his/her friends sexuality was irrelevant. The friend came out and was obviously expecting a reaction - possibly a negative one, only to be greeted with a 'meh' response. So, on reflection wexie then thought maybe the friend misinterpreted the reaction and worried that their friend may have thought he/she had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Well I know one gay friend who told me he was felched by a guy, who in turn passed the jizz into another guys mouth then into my friends mouth.....so he says.

Hence, one reason why I don't want to know.....as he takes a mouthful of my pint.

Ahh fucking nasty! :D

In fairness though I'd make something like that up and take a gulp of a mate's pint just to fuck with his head :P No, I will do this sometime!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

1ZRed wrote: »

In fairness though I'd make something like that up and take a gulp of a mate's pint just to fuck with his head :P No, I will do this sometime!
    I'd rather know tbh, just so I could tell them to keep the pint!

Don't forget to lick your lips.

And yet you can guarantee that your average gay person has heard more graphic details about their straight friends sex lives?

I actually find THAT harder to believe tbh, but then I'd know a few felchers and snowballers. Hardly THAT hard to believe that some people engage in such practices surely?

Not something I'd personally be into myself, but I do know of people that enjoy it.
    What he means is that straight people would be far more comfortable and likely to into graphic detail about their sex lives whereas a lot of gay guys might be reserved around straight lads talking about things like that, for obvious reasons. I'd agree with him, and personally, yeah I've heard straight lads go into graphic detail a lot more than other gay guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Exactly. Ive had pretty serious discussions with people about it. Its a character flaw, Ill admit. But Its there nonetheless. But while a gay/bi/lgbt has entitlement to the right to be accepted, my right to be uncomfortable (and nothing more) is apparently the worst thing ever and people cant wait to eliminate it. I dont actively try to stop gay people. I have better things to do and so do they, Im sure, than deal with people who hate them. I just... let them be. But I am getting tired of people telling me "oh youre as bad as the guys in russia". If someone comes out to me then yes, Itll be awkward for me (I can appreciate how much worse itll be for him or her, of course) an opinion on someone is entirely dynamic, of course Itll change based on what you learn about them as time goes on, but thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Must be the friends you keep - none of my gay friends go on about their felching exploits

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Assuming he was telling the truth, I wouldn't exactly take him as representative of the LGBT community.

I'd say that's about as common as straight guys into scat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I have a homophobic gay friend.He absolutly despises camp gay people,and everything associated with the "gay scene".

Go figure.
    Yeh I knew a guy like that - he had no time for gay men, other than sex. He only hung out with women and a few hetero guys.
    I don't get it. My best friend is a gay guy and he doesn't like gay clubs or extreme camp, but he doesn't hate gay men who are camp.

I'd rather know tbh, just so I could tell them to keep the pint!
    Never even thought about that angle!

If I got to keep the pint this is how I plan on getting free drinks for the rest of my life!

wexie wrote: »
    errr...Didn't take it personal at all. Just trying to understand what you're trying to say. I'm not trying to be righteous or anything (although sometimes I try to talk like Crush the Turtle from Finding Nemo but that's only to amuse my kids) I just don't give a hoot whether you like winkies or pussies. As long as you're not after mine or my OH's :D

And I'm really not all that happy go lucky, I'm perfectly happy condemning people to a lifetime of misery (or the death penalty). Just not over who they happen to feel like shagging.

Sit in the middle lane of the M50 doing 80 though......:mad:

Ahh yeah, haha, ok not the best at explaining what's in my head but what I mean is just people that go overboard, like for example if you HAD made a point of it with your friend and done the whole giving him a hug like you're trying to show him you know you won't catch "teh gay", etc. Just going overboard and making a point of it basically in trying to prove how much they don't care about the fact that their friend just came out... It's a bit cringe really kinda thing :o

Actually the whole "coming out" thing, I never got that tbh. It just seems cringe to me, like, I just don't get it :(

Must be the friends you keep - none of my gay friends go on about their felching exploits

Well, it's just the one friend who goes on about it. The other 3 don't go on much about it at all.

I don't care much for the "must be the friends you keep" comment tbh. You may not have meant anything by it but I take offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Docking is another one I used to hear about and quiz a homosexual friend of mine about a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Links234 wrote: »
    ignorance like this is another reason for the hate ^

It's a particularly popular myth that trans people go around "tricking" guys into sex, and one that's quite honestly dangerous. nobody is more keenly aware than transgender women about risks involved in relationships, but the above scenario plays on the concept of 'gay panic', it's a dehumanizing meme that's popularized by the staged antics of Jerry Springer and other media, such as the Crying Game for example.

and is used to justify some truly horrific behavior, the murder rate for transgender women is absurdly high in the developed world.

its crass to suggest that a man is ignorant if he is upset by the fact that he has slept with a former man. If someone expects respect for their gender idenity to be recognised, surely respect should be shown to those who don't want to sleep with transgendered men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I have a homophobic gay friend.He absolutly despises camp gay people

What about camp straight people?

I find Alan Carr quite entertaining but find the dancer guy a total head wrecker.

I like to think of myself as an average gay guy. And this average gay guy has heard a lot of straight guys, from a very broad spectrum, share details of their sex lives quite freely.

I've also never heard of anybody into feltching. I'm still not certain it's something people actually do. It most certainly isn't mainstream.

I have been part of conversations where people discussed their experiences of rimming though - on both occassions they were straight guys doing the talking.

Assuming he was telling the truth, I wouldn't exactly take him as representative of the LGBT community.

I'd say that's about as common as straight guys into scat

Ah sure he must have been pulling me leg so floggg.

You can take him anyway you like ;)

I'm just saying what he said, and I actually do know a straight guy who got **** on....he didnt like it one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ahh yeah, haha, ok not the best at explaining what's in my head but what I mean is just people that go overboard, like for example if you HAD made a point of it with your friend and done the whole giving him a hug like you're trying to show him you know you won't catch "teh gay", etc. Just going overboard and making a point of it basically in trying to prove how much they don't care about the fact that their friend just came out... It's a bit cringe really kinda thing :o

Actually the whole "coming out" thing, I never got that tbh. It just seems cringe to me, like, I just don't get it :(

ah....those people. The people that will bend over backwards to show they are tolerant and not one of them people that don't like hippies, vegans, gays, lesbians and so on and so forth.

They piss me off too, generally I find they are people that WANT to be seen to be tolerant, purely for fear of people thinking they may not be. Regardless of whether or not they actually are.

The people that make it a point to have a gay friend, a black friend, an asian friend etc. etc. etc.

Pisses me off. Just live your life, let people shag who they want to shag, love who they want to love. As long as they do it without harming you or any guinea pigs it's none of anyone's bloody business.

Never even thought about that angle!

If I got to keep the pint this is how I plan on getting free drinks for the rest of my life!

It would probably work best if you went to the jacks just beforehand, take a long time and then come out and announce "you'll never guess what I just did...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    But that's also a part of the mentality I just literally cannot get my head around. I mean no disrespect, I just literally don't get not being OK with how two other people who aren't me choose to identify themselves and relate to each other. I'm straight myself so perhaps I'm being incredibly naieve with this entire thread, but caring about other peoples sexuality, identity and/or interpersonal relationships is a completely alien concept to me.

It's honestly as bizzare as someone coming up to me and saying "I'm not fully OK with the idea of people being black" - it makes about as much sense...

I know it is.. I dunno how to explain it really. All I can say is Im certainly not gonna kill anyone for being gay/bi/lgbt. Or even completely boot them out of my life. I dont really like it but I dont feel Jamaicanly strongly about it and know theres nothing good or justifiable I can do about it. Live and let live and all that.

Edit: wexie seems to be able to articulate what Im getting at:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well, it's just the one friend who goes on about it. The other 3 don't go on much about it at all.

I don't care much for the "must be the friends you keep" comment tbh. You may not have meant anything by it but I take offence.

Didnt mean to offend - just pointing out like flogggggg that felching is a fairly uncommon practice really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Ah sure he must have been pulling me leg so floggg.

You can take him anyway you like ;)

I'm just saying what he said, and I actually do know a straight guy who got **** on....he didnt like it one bit.

Knowing what he's had in his mouth, I'd rather not take him any way!

Advertisement