Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room... (Couples not accepted)

Options
13»

Comments

No, sorry, but I can't take a man seriously, or even look him squarely in the eye if he is wearing slippers.

That's one of the daftest things I've ever heard. What do you want them to wear going around the house in winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

That's one of the daftest things I've ever heard. What do you want them to wear going around the house in winter?

Daftest? That reminds me..,I would put it on daft.ie as a special requirement.

"No couples
    No smoking in house.
    No slippers if you are a man
    No uggs if you are a woman*."

:pac:

*The Ugg is the female outdoor slipper and even more disgusting that the indoor slipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I walk around my house barefoot in winter. And summer. And every season. :confused: Don't understand slippers myself personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I wear shoes in the house - at all times

Slippers? I haven't retired yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I walk around my house barefoot in winter. And summer. And every season. :confused: Don't understand slippers myself personally!

Well, I'm glad we're on the same page. Slipper-folk are freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Room for Rent
    . Single people only
    . Non-smokers
    . Must have a job
    . Job must be 40hr+ weekly
    . No pets, instruments or loud snorers
    . No friends, family members or band-mates allowed in the house
    . Bed not supplied
    . Keen gardeners preferred
    . No parties, whistling or hard-soled shoes

Had a housemate once who asked could some of her family come stay for a few days. Without thinking I said ok, then 30 seconds later asked who was coming; her dad, two of her brothers and her sister. I was gobsmacked. "This is a 2 bed house," I said. "Ah, sure they'll sleep in the living room" she said. I quickly disabused her of the idea that I was going to spend the next week in a house full of complete strangers, stepping over her dad and brother while I was trying to get ready for work in the morning and told her to tell them to book a hostel, we'd take a maximum of 2 - 1 on the floor in the box room, and her sister could sleep with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

sharing accommodation with strangers can even more degrading than living with your parents..
    It's just one of those things that has to be done but it is horrific.

i used to share with one ginger bird who'd be sat on the bogs pissing like a firehose with the door wide open and shouting down the stairs to tell you that you left a streak of shower gell on the bathtub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Sharing with couples can be awkward as hell. I shared with this couple before and i felt uncomfortable talking to the girl as the guy was very jealous and she was always flirting with me, trying to annoy him. Plus they had the TV, kitchen constantly taken over meaning i was confined to my room. There was always drama going on between the two of them and i moved out after about 3 months. i believe they broke up pretty soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Leftist wrote: »
    sharing accommodation with strangers can even more degrading than living with your parents..
    It's just one of those things that has to be done but it is horrific.

i used to share with one ginger bird who'd be sat on the bogs pissing like a firehose with the door wide open and shouting down the stairs to tell you that you left a streak of shower gell on the bathtub.

she doesn't sound that bad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

mad turnip wrote: »
    she doesn't sound that bad tbh.

i'd hate to think what you shared with if that yoke doesn't sound that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Living with a couple can be a minefield, much more so than just living with single people. It messes up the dynamic of the house and how everybody gets on, and you really just feel like you're intruding all the time. Lived with a couple in Spain for a few months and it was crap - they took over the sitting room, sat in the tiny kitchen smoking and chatting in the evenings when the other 2 of us would be trying to make dinner, they'd invite other coupley friends over on a Saturday evening and it felt like it was their apartment and we were just lodgers. I spent all my time in my tiny bedroom or out of the apartment. Most annoying thing about them was how they used to take hour-long showers together in the mornings, used to drive me mad as my morning routine would be a 15 minute run of going to the loo, getting washed, dressed and leaving the house but I'd often be hopping around the place with my legs crossed while they were in the bathroom banging!!
    Would definitely never live with a couple again.
    Also, I now live with my BF, and would hate to share with other people at the same time, it'd be awkward as hell. Couples should have their own place, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Well...slightly less. My partner and I pay (800 total) for a spacious one bed apartment, when we were househunting I often saw decent apartments for 700. I consider 400 each to have our own place a good deal at present.

I guess a lot of people don't want to share with couples, but I personally wouldn't want to be part of a couple in a shared apartment/ house. It's great when you're single but wouldn't you prefer the privacy?

Where did you get a spacious apartment in Dublin for that money? Seriously because I would pay that for our own place. We currently live on Southside because its essential for our jobs, and I have scoured Daft.ie multiple times and found nothing that I would live in for less than a grand per month. And I'm not really fussy, but I do need my bedroom and kitchen to be 2 separate rooms :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No, sorry. That would be just...impossible.

You'd have your p45 fairly quick.:P
    You're a prude! My mate and his mrs. got to that point only a few months into the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Where did you get a spacious apartment in Dublin for that money? Seriously because I would pay that for our own place. We currently live on Southside because its essential for our jobs, and I have scoured Daft.ie multiple times and found nothing that I would live in for less than a grand per month. And I'm not really fussy, but I do need my bedroom and kitchen to be 2 separate rooms :D
    Yes there are loads of bedsits, but they're usually for 600 or less. For €800 we got a one-bed apartment in Portobello; kitchen-living area, bathroom, bedroom and shower are separate rooms!

Here's a 2 bed in Inchicore for €780
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1368020

another one nearby
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1334588

This is James Street, which is probably teetering over the edge of what might be considered a good area, but still
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1365607

This one in Dundrum is only missing a corpse pic to complete the weirdly dark photographs, but might be nice
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1369778

See? Not amazing places to live but not awful either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

This one in Dundrum is only missing a corpse pic to complete the weirdly dark photographs, but might be nice

:D

Fair point. See I would never even think of looking out near Inchicore or Portobello. Not that there's anything wrong with those places, but that I'm just useless when it comes to knowing what's connected to where in Dublin. But anyway that's for another thread. Sorry for hi-jacking OP! And thanks for that Cody, some food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yes there are loads of bedsits, but they're usually for 600 or less. For €800 we got a one-bed apartment in Portobello; kitchen-living area, bathroom, bedroom and shower are separate rooms!

Here's a 2 bed in Inchicore for €780
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1368020

another one nearby
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1334588

This is James Street, which is probably teetering over the edge of what might be considered a good area, but still
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1365607

I do hate Dublin rents... which is why we rent a three bed house in Maynooth for 850 :) Obviously a different kettle of fish, but forking out that much money for a one bed is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The Cool wrote: »
    I do hate Dublin rents... which is why we rent a three bed house in Maynooth for 850 :) Obviously a different kettle of fish, but forking out that much money for a one bed is depressing.
    I know, one of my best friends is renting a 5 bed in Kerry €600 a month. Can't wait to move out of Dublin at this stage.

Advertisement