Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room... (Couples not accepted)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sex noises, lovers' tiffs, and the shítstorm that would occur if they split up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

People are going to disagree (and you're free to rent out rooms to couples) but the truth is there isn't any advantage to renting to couples. But there are lots of disadvantages, so why bother?

Same with pets.

If I rent to a lady with a dog, the dog *might* be well trained and quiet....but it might not. If I rent to a lady without a dog - there is no chance of her dog trashing my furniture.

A couple will cause twice as much wear-n-tear and use twice as much of the shared resources (they'll shower twice as much, cook twice as much, do laundry twice as much)....all for no benefit to you. They are also twice as likely to have a problem with someone else or something else in the place. Our immersion heater's timer was broken when we moved in. *I* didn't care, but my wife did....so we complained to the landlord. A cabinet in the kitchen was broken too, but it was too high and my wife didn't care, but *I* did....so we complained to the landlord.

In a shared house, you'll be interacting with people. People sometimes don't like each other. Each additional person significantly increases the odds of personality conflicts. If two people (A, B) are living in a place and looking to rent out a room to ONE person (C) you could have a problem with
    A->C
    B->C
    C->A
    C->B

If you bring in a couple (C, D) now it is
    A->C
    B->C
    A->D
    B->D
    C->A
    C->B
    D->A
    D->B

You've *doubled* the likelihood of people not getting along by renting to a couple instead of a single person. I'd argue it's even more complex than that, as you add people you increase the scarcity of resources and I believe that increases the odds of personality conflicts. I used to live in a house with three bathrooms - and it never mattered when my wife woke up - I could get up when I wanted, use the bathroom and get ready for work. Then we got poor....with only one bathroom, we've now had several arguments about when we each get up and whose schedule is more important since we both can't physically occupy the same space at the same time. But at a minimum, you've DOUBLED the likelihood of people not liking each other.

And while some people are going to disagree with me - there is a HUGE correlation between anti-social behaviour and income. If I rent a studio apartment for 400 euro in Dublin, it's almost certainly going to be in a bad part of town. And my neighbors will be the types of people who live in bad parts of town and in apartment buildings that are cheap. In my experience, living in those types of places, you are many, many, many times more likely to have problems with people being loud/drunk/up at all hours of the night/petty crime/loud parties/loud music/trash/etc....but if you get an apartment in Dublin and pay 1400 in a building where everyone is paying 1400, in my experience, you are many times more likely to have the kind of neighbors who won't cause problems. I've moved for the sole purpose of paying more, so I could live next to the type of people who pay more....because now it's quiet and I don't have beer cans (and worse) outside of my door and drunk people fighting outside my window at 3am on a Tuesday.

If you rent to *two* people who, collectively, can only scrounge up enough for a shared bedroom in a shared house - odds are - they aren't getting up for work at 7am M-F. And while it's not fair to judge an individual person based on what they pay in rent - it's very accurate for groups of people. It sucks, but it is what it is. And I say this as someone who is poor immigrant now...I know there are exceptions, but as a whole, yeah - I'd rather have one tenant who can afford rent than two people who are willing to cram themselves into one bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Why would an absentee landlord care about sex noises?
    UCDVet wrote: »
    A couple will cause twice as much wear-n-tear and use twice as much of the shared resources (they'll shower twice as much, cook twice as much, do laundry twice as much.
    So would any two people.

OP, are you talking about a one-bedroom place specifically? Because the above would apply in that case. Not in the case of a couple looking to rent a two-bedroom place though.

Why are there "no" advantages to renting to couples? They're paying rent aren't they? And they can be charged more than one person can in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In a shared house, you'll be interacting with people. People sometimes don't like each other. Each additional person significantly increases the odds of personality conflicts. If two people (A, B) are living in a place and looking to rent out a room to ONE person (C) you could have a problem with
    A->C
    B->C
    C->A
    C->B

If you bring in a couple (C, D) now it is
    A->C
    B->C
    A->D
    B->D
    C->A
    C->B
    D->A
    D->B

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've given that waaaay too much thought for an AH question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

mattjack wrote: »
    I'm an undercover Mod here and this is you're one and only warning , any more comments like that and you will be handed over to the secret police.General arseholery of that nature is not appreciated in the spirit of all things AH.

You're not undercover anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

.... the less people you are loving with the better.

I beg to differ.

Why would an absentee landlord care about sex noises?

So would any two people.

OP, are you talking about a one-bedroom place specifically? Because the above would apply in that case. Not in the case of a couple looking to rent a two-bedroom place though.

Why are there "no" advantages to renting to couples? They're paying rent aren't they? And they can be charged more than one person can in some cases.

I don't think one bedroomed places are what's being talked about. I've never seen an apartment to let be it a one bedroomed or more that specified no couples. I think the no couples thing only comes into play for a room to let in a shared house.

I would guess that the majority of one bedroomed places are actually let to couples as they can be expensive especially in city centres etc.

I beg to differ.

I'd imagine you are in a very small minority. I recently moved from sharing with 3 to sharing with 2 and to be honest its more like sharing with 1 other person as one of the housemates is never around. Still. It's so much better than the other house where there were constantly 4 of us around. Id absolutely love to be sharing with nobody though. The obvious exceptions are living with a gf or living at home as I don't mind sharing with parents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I think the no couples thing only comes into play for a room to let in a shared house.
    Well it's understandable that the other person or people wouldn't want to share with a couple, but I'm surprised a landlord would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'd imagine you are in a very small minority. I recently moved from sharing with 3 to sharing with 2 and to be honest its more like sharing with 1 other person as one of the housemates is never around. Still. It's so much better than the other house where there were constantly 4 of us around. Id absolutely love to be sharing with nobody though. The obvious exceptions are living with a gf or living at home as I don't mind sharing with parents etc.

I think you failed to spot your little typo in the post that Trigger Happy was referring to :)

Well it's understandable that the other person or people wouldn't want to share with a couple, but I'm surprised a landlord would care.

I don't think a landlord would care. I think the op sees ads for rooms to let in a shared house with a "no couples" disclaimer and is assuming its the landlord who has put up the ad when in fact it's almost certainly the existing house tennants.

As for the big long list from UCDvet I don't think any landlord will care about any of that either.

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I think you failed to spot your little typo in the post that Trigger Happy was referring to :)

Ah yes, reading on the phone so easy to miss the small typos :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Hi Op.

It is a difficult stuation. Im about to be on the other side of this situation. I previously lived with a couple, however there were other girls in th house. I found it grand and my bedroom was right beside them.

Depends on the people IMO. Another place I lived, in a girls flat share, one girl took her new boyfriend over for the night completely aware the one of the other girls was around too. She had the music up attempting to disguise any"noise" but the poor girl in the next room told me the next day she was kept awake by both noises and felt quite uncomfortable, even the next day they were all over each other in the sitting room. I was so glad I was away that weekend.

Ill soon be moving as a couple to a house share with one other couple and two other people, so I guess, I can understand why people may not like to live with a couple.

Just ensure you search only for places that do accept couples if your looking. that way it wont have to wonder why :)...hope that's helpls a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm currently sharing a house with a couple and the worst aspect of it is that if either of them wants to raise any sort of potentially contentious issue they tell me while the other one is in the room so that they have backup in case an argument breaks out.

The worst though is the couple where only one of them is officially in the house but has their bf/gf over 5-6 nights a week and then thinks anyone else is unreasonable or even jealous if they complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

I'm currently sharing a house with a couple and the worst aspect of it is that if either of them wants to raise any sort of potentially contentious issue they tell me while the other one is in the room so that they have backup in case an argument breaks out.

The worst though is the couple where only one of them is officially in the house but has their bf/gf over 5-6 nights a week and then thinks anyone else is unreasonable or even jealous if they complain about it.

I really doubt its as a back up.! And that's just the couple your living with doesn't mean every couples like that. If you don't like living with a couple move out instead of complaining.

I do agree that having a girl/boyfriend over all the time can get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

My gf and I spent ages trying to find a place in Dublin and kept meeting with the same problem as OP. There would be 10 pages of double rooms to rent on Daft but filter to couples accepted and you get 4 or 5 places! We eventually found a place where we have been sharing with the same 2 lads for the past few years and its working out great.

I can understand why people don't want to live with couples but we make an effort to not appear to be taking over the living room etc. The only advice that I can give OP is keep looking. Something will come up eventually.

And as for the other post about the standard of couples only 'scrounging' enough to pay for a shared apartment rather than their own place: If we were to get a place of our own that isn't a studio apartment or a flea infested hole in the location that we live in we would be paying a minimum of €1000 per month. We pay half that for a room in a beautiful apartment while saving for a deposit for a mortgage. Why throw away an additional €500 per month? Oh and both of us are working professionals in good jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I used to live in a house with three bathrooms - and it never mattered when my wife woke up - I could get up when I wanted, use the bathroom and get ready for work. Then we got poor....with only one bathroom, we've now had several arguments about when we each get up and whose schedule is more important since we both can't physically occupy the same space at the same time.

You and your wife?

Shower together, you ludre! :p

And I say this as someone who is poor immigrant now.

And are you now antisocial? :)

Confront them about it, there's NO excuse for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

If we were to get a place of our own that isn't a studio apartment or a flea infested hole in the location that we live in we would be paying a minimum of €1000 per month.
    Well...slightly less. My partner and I pay (800 total) for a spacious one bed apartment, when we were househunting I often saw decent apartments for 700. I consider 400 each to have our own place a good deal at present.

I guess a lot of people don't want to share with couples, but I personally wouldn't want to be part of a couple in a shared apartment/ house. It's great when you're single but wouldn't you prefer the privacy?

Well...slightly less. My partner and I pay (800 total) for a spacious one bed apartment, when we were househunting I often saw decent apartments for 700. I consider 400 each to have our own place a good deal at present.

I guess a lot of people don't want to share with couples, but I personally wouldn't want to be part of a couple in a shared apartment/ house. It's great when you're single but wouldn't you prefer the privacy?

I can see the idea of short term pain when saving for a deposit however I agree with you. It's definitely worth the bit extra to have your own place. Personally I'm sick of sharing anyway, 4 years of it now and I'm well sick of not having the comfort you have living at home or having your own place. My days of sharing are definitely numbered though I would plan on buying if possible rather than renting a whole house or apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Because you'll get the partner of the tenant living in the house rent free annoying the f+ck out of everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Room for Rent
    . Single people only
    . Non-smokers
    . Must have a job
    . Job must be 40hr+ weekly
    . No pets, instruments or loud snorers
    . No friends, family members or band-mates allowed in the house
    . Bed not supplied
    . Keen gardeners preferred
    . No parties, whistling or hard-soled shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Just say your partner is your brother/sister, no problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

You and your wife?

Shower together, you ludre! :p

What if it's a number one or number two?:eek:
    Room for Rent
    . Single people only
    . Non-smokers
    . Must have a job
    . Job must be 40hr+ weekly
    . No pets, instruments or loud snorers
    . No friends, family members or band-mates allowed in the house
    . Bed not supplied
    . Keen gardeners preferred
    . No parties, whistling or hard-soled shoes

You sound like my current flatmate. What sort of man wears slippers...seriously?

You sound like my current flatmate. What sort of man wears slippers...seriously?

What's wrong with slippers, most people wear them? Perfect for around the house.

What if it's a number one or number two?

I don't shít in the shower. :P

What's wrong with slippers, most people wear them? Perfect for around the house.

No, sorry, but I can't take a man seriously, or even look him squarely in the eye if he is wearing slippers. :P
    I don't shít in the shower. :P

I meant, they both can't be in the bathroom if one is showering and the other is...evacuating. Into the toilet bowl, just to be unambiguous.:P

I meant, they both can't be in the bathroom if one is showering and the other is...evacuating. Into the toilet bowl, just to be unambiguous.:P

If the shower is going full pelt... be grand. :pac:

If the shower is going full pelt... be grand. :pac:

No, sorry. That would be just...impossible.

You'd have your p45 fairly quick.:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Ok, back to the thread and away from the two sickos discussing where they like to ****.
    If you look up daft, like I had to recently. The most rejected people are couples and people that get rent allowance. Now if you're a couple who need rent allowance you're ****ed.
    The point of this post? I don't know. I wouldn't be able to **** if someone was there with me, unless I was bursting, just to let you know.

Advertisement