Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room... (Couples not accepted)

Options
  • 09-08-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi there, I hope this is in the right forum...

Just wondering if anyone has any theories or know why home owners put up their properties of rooms for rent with 'couples not accepted' for types of tenants?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Some landlords just won't do threesomes IME :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

So your not slapping shoes day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Couldn't tell ya man,if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

xaoifsx wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone has any theories or know why home owners put up their properties of rooms for rent with 'couples not accepted' for types of tenants?

Cos you'd want to be mad to live with a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And they'd probably want to pay less rent so it's just the one room ect, I'd hate to live with a couple, bleh

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »

I have done twice and it worked out fine both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Well when you're sharing a house with strangers, it's often a case of the less the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Because coupes tend to nest and think they own the house, hogging the tv and living space and generally making the other occupants feel as if they're imposing. I'm glad I have my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

I suppose it would be like tagging along on a date.

to the cinema, and shes giving him a handjob while you're sharing popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

The third spoke of a wheel theory applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Harder to dispose of two bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not really a mystery. The landlord or the other people to n the house is not want to live with one other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

There's only one way to get around this OP.

Pretend you're single, rent the room yourself and gradually move your boyfriend in.

Don't worry, if you do it right the other tenants won't even notice and they definitely won't resent you for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A couple would probably me more stay at home types and the owners might feel a bit suffocated by this, unless they have a self contained flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Its none of your business to be pretty honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks.

You really can't figure this out for yourself? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Apart from the reasons listed above, for purely practical reasons it's one more person to share the bathroom/kitchen/tv/other communal facilities with. Place could simply get too crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

It's might also be the case that the room is too small for 2 people....obvious answer much!

Its none of your business to be pretty honest

I'm an undercover Mod here and this is you're one and only warning , any more comments like that and you will be handed over to the secret police.General arseholery of that nature is not appreciated in the spirit of all things AH.

mattjack wrote: »
    I'm an undercover Mod here and this is you're one and only warning , any more comments like that and you will be handed over to the secret police.General arseholery of that nature is not appreciated in the spirit of all things AH.

*your

Proof you're not a mod. Mods being infallible of course :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Thanks.
    The answers so far seem to be in relation to people looking for people to share with them, but the OP is asking about landlords specifically.

If they're owner-occupier, they probably don't want to be sharing with a couple, but I'd agree it doesn't make sense for an "absentee" landlord not to want a couple renting their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

The answers so far seem to be in relation to people looking for people to share with them, but the OP is asking about landlords specifically.

If they're owner-occupier, they probably don't want to be sharing with a couple, but I'd agree it doesn't make sense for an "absentee" landlord not to want a couple renting their property.

I would understand with the landlord living there. But when the landlord is not..(I am aiming this thread at landlords not occupying the property) like usually if a couple is involved in getting a room or a whole house, the landlord would put up the price a bit.. so that the couple pays a bit more but still less each than a single person.. so the landlord get more money in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I would understand with the landlord living there. But when the landlord is not..(I am aiming this thread at landlords not occupying the property) like usually if a couple is involved in getting a room or a whole house, the landlord would put up the price a bit.. so that the couple pays a bit more but still less each than a single person.. so the landlord get more money in the end.

The landlord is letting room by room or a small place? If it's the former, the landlord may have long standing tenants who have said they don't want to share with a couple/ the landlord may have previous experience that letting the other rooms is more difficult when a couple is in one room. If the latter, that would seem odd unless the landlord has previously experienced a couple splitting up and the partner who remains being unable to meet the rent or something similar.

cantdecide wrote: »
    *your

Proof you're not a mod. Mods being infallible of course :cool:

awwwwww...... you are second on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

c_man wrote: »

I once moved in at the same time as another bloke renting two of the spare bedrooms from a gal who wanted help with a mortgage. Within a week they were a couple.

For fucks sake! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

MadsL wrote: »
    I once moved in at the same time as another bloke renting two of the spare bedrooms from a gal who wanted help with a mortgage. Within a week they were a couple.

For fucks sake! :mad:

Was she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Couples tend to ride everywhere causing extra wear and tear to items such as beds, sofas, coffee tables, ironing boards etc., which is an unnecessary extra expense for the landlord to replace or repair said items.

I don't think it's anything to do with landlords. The landlords don't care once they are paid at the end of the month. Normally when someone moves out of a shared house its the other tennants who look for a replacement and landlords don't get involved at all. The people in the house will obviously not want to increase the number of people living in the house as the less people you are living with the better so they won't want a couple for that reason on top of the other reason why living with a couple isn't ideal.

I think most people would chose to live alone if they are single or just with their bf/gf/wife etc if they are a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Couples tend to ride everywhere causing extra wear and tear to items such as beds, sofas, coffee tables, ironing boards etc., which is an unnecessary extra expense for the landlord to replace or repair said items.

Ironing boards are a tough one alright to repair :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Maybe the room only has a single bed? Or the landowner/other tenants might not want to live to two strangers who already know each other quite well.

Advertisement