Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And Fantastic 4 is akin to Villa: shambolic both.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I don't get the whole "the film isn't kid friendly" thing, my little brother who is 8 saw it opening weekend and loved it. All he wanted to do was come up to visit me and go see it again. There's a lot of adult content there but this is a film for 12 year old boys and it's a shame that so many won't get to experience it on the big screen.

Why wouldn't they get to see it? The movie is 12 rated, they don't really need their parents permission.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    And Fantastic 4 is akin to Villa: shambolic both.

Liverpool are Spiderman I'd reckon, used to be the best around now a bit of a sleeping giant....signing Klopp could be analogous to the Marvel/Sony deal.

Should probably stop this now....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Liverpool are Spiderman I'd reckon, used to be the best around now a bit of a sleeping giant....signing Klopp could be analogous to the Marvel/Sony deal.

Should probably stop this now....:o

Yep, this off-topicness is more suited to the Liverpool thread.

ps3lover wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they get to see it? The movie is 12 rated, they don't really need their parents permission.

Perhaps because most 12 year old boys aren't in a position to just head off to the cinema. In fact I imagine that for most it takes planning, lifts from a parent, money from a parent, etc. And what of all the 6 year olds who want to see the film, there's many who won't get the chance given all the talk of how the film is too dark and adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I don't get the whole "the film isn't kid friendly" thing, my little brother who is 8 saw it opening weekend and loved it. All he wanted to do was come up to visit me and go see it again. There's a lot of adult content there but this is a film for 12 year old boys and it's a shame that so many won't get to experience it on the big screen. The dark tone of the film reminded me a little of all those great 80s films I grew up on, those films where death was often central to the plot. There was a similar out-lash against The Good Dinosaur with a lot of opinions pieces on how it was too dark for kids and I know plenty of people who didn't take their kids, which is a damn shame given just how good a film it is. There is nothing in Batman V Superman that is too adult, yes it explored adult themes and issues but so does a lot of great kids cinema.
    I wasn't saying "isn't kid friendly" as in kids wouldn't be able to handle it but that parents would be scared off by some of the feedback, I guess "parent friendly" might be a more apt way of phrasing it. Sure I was watching the Silence of the Lambs when I was 8 and I turned out okay-ish, was watching Die Hard and the like from earlier still; there's gonna be some kids that'll see all sorts but the statistic tend to bear some weight that age ratings and the like do have an impact.

And a parent who lets their kid see it might not necessarily agree to letting their kid buy a ton of merchandise of a morally dubious batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't get the whole "the film isn't kid friendly" thing, my little brother who is 8 saw it opening weekend and loved it. All he wanted to do was come up to visit me and go see it again. There's a lot of adult content there but this is a film for 12 year old boys and it's a shame that so many won't get to experience it on the big screen. The dark tone of the film reminded me a little of all those great 80s films I grew up on, those films where death was often central to the plot. There was a similar out-lash against The Good Dinosaur with a lot of opinions pieces on how it was too dark for kids and I know plenty of people who didn't take their kids, which is a damn shame given just how good a film it is. There is nothing in Batman V Superman that is too adult, yes it explored adult themes and issues but so does a lot of great kids cinema.

I'm 25 and I found it boring and incoherent, I can't imagine it holding the interest of kids. I wouldn't say it's 'not kid friendly' as I don't think it's unsuitable, I just don't think it's very entertaining.

Perhaps because most 12 year old boys aren't in a position to just head off to the cinema. In fact I imagine that for most it takes planning, lifts from a parent, money from a parent, etc. And what of all the 6 year olds who want to see the film, there's many who won't get the chance given all the talk of how the film is too dark and adult.

Can't they just say they're going to see Zootopia and go see Batman V Superman instead?
    And **** the 6 year olds, movie wasn't made for 6 year olds. Last time they tried to appeal Batman for kids we ended up with Batman & Robin.

I wasn't saying "isn't kid friendly" as in kids wouldn't be able to handle it but that parents would be scared off by some of the feedback, I guess "parent friendly" might be a more apt way of phrasing it. Sure I was watching the Silence of the Lambs when I was 8 and I turned out okay-ish, was watching Die Hard and the like from earlier still; there's gonna be some kids that'll see all sorts but the statistic tend to bear some weight that age ratings and the like do have an impact.

And a parent who lets their kid see it might not necessarily agree to letting their kid buy a ton of merchandise of a morally dubious batman.

I wasn't saying that, just that I have seen a lot of people saying that the film isn't suitable for kids. It happened with Batman Forever, someone told my dad that it was far too dark for me to see and I ended up having to wait till the day it came out on VHS and watching it with my dad at home. Afterward he said that had he'd have taken me to see it no problem.

ps3lover wrote: »
    Can't they just say they're going to see Zootopia and go see Batman V Superman instead?
    And **** the 6 year olds, movie wasn't made for 6 year olds. Last time they tried to appeal Batman for kids we ended up with Batman & Robin.

And how does millions of kids going to see Zootopia help the box office for this? When Rambo came out it was estimated that millions of dollars was spent on tickets for Meet the Spartans by teenagers who then snuck into Rambo.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm 25 and I found it boring and incoherent, I can't imagine it holding the interest of kids. I wouldn't say it's 'not kid friendly' as I don't think it's unsuitable, I just don't think it's very entertaining.

My 8 year old brother loved it, as did the kids of quite a few friends. Just because you didn't enjoy it does not mean that kids won't, in fact I'd say that most 8-12 year old boys would love it given that it's Batman and Superman fighting which is most kids dream team up.

My 8 year old brother loved it, as did the kids of quite a few friends. Just because you didn't enjoy it does not mean that kids won't, in fact I'd say that most 8-12 year old boys would love it given that it's Batman and Superman fighting which is most kids dream team up.

Of course, I'm not doubting you but at the same time just because one 8 year old enjoyed doesn't mean they all will. Kids are just as different in their opinions as adults. I would be genuinely curious to know what the consensus is amongst the 8-12 age bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I've never heard of 8 year olds criticizing movies tbf. They might prefer one over the other but they'll watch basically anything they're allowed to. Most would probably enjoy it if only for the superhero theme. They'd probably love the Green Lantern too though. Some of the ****e I watched and enjoyed when I was younger would make BvS look oscar worthy.

I read they are planning to release the R rated cut of Batman V Superman into theatres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jan Van Eyck

Bruce Willis might make an interesting Batman.

I've never heard of 8 year olds criticizing movies tbf. They might prefer one over the other but they'll watch basically anything they're allowed to. Most would probably enjoy it if only for the superhero theme. They'd probably love the Green Lantern too though. Some of the ****e I watched and enjoyed when I was younger would make BvS look oscar worthy.

This is where I'm coming from. I also watched and enjoyed a lot of ****, but there had to be something to enjoy. BvS for me lacks any sense of fun, I can imagine 8-12 year old being entertained by the action beats when they come around but I can't see the bits in between holding their attention much. That's just my opinion though, it doesn't bother me if kids enjoy it, it just surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think the runaway success of Deadpool is akin to Leicester's City run in the league this year and Batman v Superman is kinda like Utd (if they had been top at any stage and faded away, I coulld have said Aresnal because there is a similarity in the subsequent drop off of both after a stellar start but Arsenal aren't a big enough name to be an anaology for batman and superman).

And that's enough of the football

You'll have to forgive me with the football analogies, but...

If you are going to compare Deadpool's success to a team's season, then Leicester probably isn't the best comparison. What's happening there is unprecedented: success literally no-one saw coming. Now Deadpool was a relatively minor comic book character and a bit of a risk because it was a hard R, but it had a lot of things in it's favour too:

- It had the Marvel brand, which is currently like box-office gold dust. A lot of people, who have not or will not ever read a comic, recognise Marvel as a movie studio and associate anything with that name on it as equating to a mix of competence and entertainment. Marvel is a bigger draw than some, if not most, of the characters it's making movies about; I think the brand was definitely a stronger draw than the characters for movies like Guardians of The Galaxy or Ant-Man; did those movies become hits because people knew or inherently cared about the heroes involved? Or was it more to do with the fact that they were Marvel movies - and that means, nine times out of ten, you'll be at least entertained with something slick and breezy?

- Deadpool was good and people, generally, found it funny and a breath of fresh air. Positive word of mouth helped generate big-bucks. Not to keep repeating myself, but I think that again underlines how strongly people trust Marvel; their formula is now so successful that they can afford to deviate from it, slightly, in the confidence that people will still turn up, if the product is considered good enough.

- Lets not forget about the marketing! Deadpool’s production budget does seem relatively modest, but, I'm sure the money spent plastering advertising just about everywhere for months and months before the film was released, was no small amount: it must have been massive. If Deadpool was to have failed, it wouldn't have been from lack of awareness from the public. I don't really buy this idea that it's some kind of "the little movie that could": it had serious financial fire-power to push and push it into the public consciousness, until it felt like a massive event movie.

I think if Deadpool had flopped, it would have been a major surprise. There was risk, but it was fairly calculated. It's made more money than it had been predicted to do, but it's definitely not the minnow punching way above it's weight. Leicester City? I think it's more like Athletico Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I would have thought it was a very long and quiet film for kids but coming out of the Cinema all I could hear were 8 year olds singing its praise. My 10 year old son saw the film later with my brother and both of them loved it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arghus wrote: »
    You'll have to forgive me with the football analogies, but...

If you are going to compare Deadpool's success to a team's season, then Leicester probably isn't the best comparison. What's happening there is unprecedented: success literally no-one saw coming. Now Deadpool was a relatively minor comic book character and a bit of a risk because it was a hard R, but it had a lot of things in it's favour too:

- It had the Marvel brand, which is currently like box-office gold dust. A lot of people, who have not or will not ever read a comic, recognise Marvel as a movie studio and associate anything with that name on it as equating to a mix of competence and entertainment. Marvel is a bigger draw than some, if not most, of the characters it's making movies about; I think the brand was definitely a stronger draw than the characters for movies like Guardians of The Galaxy or Ant-Man; did those movies become hits because people knew or inherently cared about the heroes involved? Or was it more to do with the fact that they were Marvel movies - and that means, nine times out of ten, you'll be at least entertained with something slick and breezy?

- Deadpool was good and people, generally, found it funny and a breath of fresh air. Positive word of mouth helped generate big-bucks. Not to keep repeating myself, but I think that again underlines how strongly people trust Marvel; their formula is now so successful that they can afford to deviate from it, slightly, in the confidence that people will still turn up, if the product is considered good enough.

- Lets not forget about the marketing! Deadpool’s production budget does seem relatively modest, but, I'm sure the money spent plastering advertising just about everywhere for months and months before the film was released, was no small amount: it must have been massive. If Deadpool was to have failed, it wouldn't have been from lack of awareness from the public. I don't really buy this idea that it's some kind of "the little movie that could": it had serious financial fire-power to push and push it into the public consciousness, until it felt like a massive event movie.

I think if Deadpool had flopped, it would have been a major surprise. There was risk, but it was fairly calculated. It's made more money than it had been predicted to do, but it's definitely not the minnow punching way above it's weight. Leicester City? I think it's more like Athletico Madrid.

Your points are valid but Deadpool wasn't made by Marvel, it was made by Fox. Then again, maybe your post kind of shows the average punter doesn't know or care about that and think anything with a Marvel logo is a Marvel Studios film which possibly contributed to the film's success on some level. I think, like you say, the marketing was what made Deadpool a success (helped by the fact a lot of people liked the film too once it was released too).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Your points are valid but Deadpool wasn't made by Marvel, it was made by Fox. Then again, maybe your post kind of shows the average punter doesn't know or care about that and think anything with a Marvel logo is a Marvel Studios film which possibly contributed to the film's success on some level. I think, like you say, the marketing was what made Deadpool a success (helped by the fact a lot of people liked the film too once it was released too).

Okay, I may have been technically wrong in not giving Fox ANY credit, but it was a co-production with Marvel studios, using Marvel characters, featuring Marvel's name ahead of Fox on advertising and promising some semblance of familiar, if slightly unfamiliar, Marvellous craic. Fox may have made sure that everything got done and everyone got paid but I think the name of their production partners was more responsible towards generating goodwill and eventual bums on seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some adults think that kids can't watch anything except 'Frozen' or 'Bridge to Terabithia' or they'll be "damaged" in some way.

Shit...in my day kids were brought to see the likes of 'Jaws', 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', 'The Dark Crystal', 'Labyrinth' or 'Return to Oz' and we loved it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Some adults think that kids can't watch anything except 'Frozen' or 'Bridge to Terabithia' or they'll be "damaged" in some way.

Shit...in my day kids were brought to see the likes of 'Jaws', 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', 'The Dark Crystal', 'Labyrinth' or 'Return to Oz' and we loved it.

Bridge to Terabithia was considerably more traumatic than any of those imo :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arghus wrote: »
    Okay, I may have been technically wrong in not giving Fox ANY credit, but it was a co-production with Marvel studios, using Marvel characters, featuring Marvel's name ahead of Fox on advertising and promising some semblance of familiar, if slightly unfamiliar, Marvellous craic. Fox may have made sure that everything got done and everyone got paid but I think the name of their production partners was more responsible towards generating goodwill and eventual bums on seats.

Fox have generally been pretty good at what they've done with regards their characters (well on the X-Men side of things-one or 2 misfires notwithstanding) so not sure how you can go without giving them a lot of credit. The last 2 X-Men films have been fantastic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While I don't know about you. But I remember seeing a man get devoured by a great white shark in one of those films.

While I don't know about you. But I remember seeing a man get devoured by a great white shark in one of those films.

I knew what I was signing up for with Jaws, Bridge to Terabithia wasn't even a fantasy film much less cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm with you on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Finally saw this tonight, I was expecting it to be awful, and it wasn't that bad.

If they had removed Wonder Woman (waste of time nothing character - embarrasing really - just a pretty face)

Doomsday - what the f*ck was that ? - and the fight scenes with him.

Then the crap with Aquaman and the flash etc - it would have been a very good film.

But it was still enjoyable old rubbish.

Ben Afleck was a great Batman, as was Superman - I enjoyed all their scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Finally saw this tonight, I was expecting it to be awful, and it wasn't that bad.

If they had removed Wonder Woman (waste of time nothing character - embarrasing really - just a pretty face)

Doomsday - what the f*ck was that ? - and the fight scenes with him.

Then the crap with Aquaman and the flash etc - it would have been a very good film.

But it was still enjoyable old rubbish.

Ben Afleck was a great Batman, as was Superman - I enjoyed all their scenes.

The scenes with flash etc and Wonder Woman's involvement were needed really since DC haven't followed Marvels route when introducing the avengers. Perhaps you were expecting it to be tagged on to the end of the credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

TonyD79 wrote: »
    The scenes with flash etc and Wonder Woman's involvement were needed really since DC haven't followed Marvels route when introducing the avengers. Perhaps you were expecting it to be tagged on to the end of the credits?

Just because they were needed in WB's eyes doesn't mean that they worked in the movie. An end credits approach would have been better btw. Follow up on the final dialogue between BM and WW saying they need to find others like them and then have the end credits scene show BM finding the files on Luthors drive.

Between the forced scenes setting up future movies and the comments from Ayer that WB requested the reshoots of Suicide Squad, the idea that directors have free reign on the creative vision of the DCMU is being eroded (2 movies in).

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

That would have been the perfect place for them. It was a a perfect end credit scene, in the middle of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just because they were needed in WB's eyes doesn't mean that they worked in the movie. An end credits approach would have been better btw. Follow up on the final dialogue between BM and WW saying they need to find others like them and then have the end credits scene show BM finding the files on Luthors drive.

Between the forced scenes setting up future movies and the comments from Ayer that WB requested the reshoots of Suicide Squad, the idea that directors have free reign on the creative vision of the DCMU is being eroded (2 movies in).

I didn't mind really WW or her watching the short clips of the others. But the Knightmare sequence and Flash coming back from the future or whatever was way over the top, to the point where it completely takes you out of the movie you're watching to watch a setup for stuff that might not be relevant for another 3-4 movies.

There's a difference between hinting at what's to come, and spending 5 minutes in the middle of a movie showing you a dream/possible-alternative-future of completely different versions of characters, some of whom haven't even been introduced yet (many people who watched it didn't even cop it was The Flash first time round).

That's why Marvel do them during the credits. They don't interfere with the actual movie you're watching, and they get to the point fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The movie was Batman v Superman.

Not Batman v Superman teaming up with Wonder Woman with brief introductions to the Flash, Water man, some fire scientist etc....

Advertisement