Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll be honest, I almost did not go to see this due to the sheer amount of bile being spewed at it.

Then I read a small review, again, highlighting the negatives. They signed off saying it wasn't Avengers. Colour me interested as the last Avengers was a heartless pile of garbage. I would have walked from the cinema if I had been on my own.

I'm delighted I went. Yes it has issues but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am far more interested in the character flaws of the person behind the costume. Both characters had amassed baggage which was affecting who they were and what they did.

Thought Afleck was superb as was Cavill (again) and many of the supporting cast were very good. I honestly didn't mind Lex that much. It was an odd version of him but not bad.

I don't understand this hatred over the Martha thing. They are people. They have emotion. It affects them in the heat of the moment. It makes them look at things in a different light.

Doomsday way awful and I feel the last 45 mins turned the money from BVS to a preview of the Justice League. I'd rather Batman and Superman settled their differences and simply took down Lex and an army.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Edit: nevermind, an April Fools joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Edit: nevermind, an April Fools joke.

You can't post that two days after April 1st :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I almost did not go to see this due to the sheer amount of bile being spewed at it.

Then I read a small review, again, highlighting the negatives. They signed off saying it wasn't Avengers. Colour me interested as the last Avengers was a heartless pile of garbage. I would have walked from the cinema if I had been on my own.

I'm delighted I went. Yes it has issues but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am far more interested in the character flaws of the person behind the costume. Both characters had amassed baggage which was affecting who they were and what they did.

Thought Afleck was superb as was Cavill (again) and many of the supporting cast were very good. I honestly didn't mind Lex that much. It was an odd version of him but not bad.

I don't understand this hatred over the Martha thing. They are people. They have emotion. It affects them in the heat of the moment. It makes them look at things in a different light.

Doomsday way awful and I feel the last 45 mins turned the money from BVS to a preview of the Justice League. I'd rather Batman and Superman settled their differences and simply took down Lex and an army.
    Came in here to say all that, just saw it and was shocked at how good it was, its one of the better superhero films. WTF were the critics on about? Marvels generic repetitive cartoon mush gets a pass and this is supposedly a mess? I was more entertained than I was at Force Awakens tbh, loved most of it, especially Batman, even Wonder Woman was a plus when I was expecting her to be cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Film has gone off a cliff at the box office, down nearly 70% week on week in the USA/Canada, it'll still make a profit as this stuff sells far and wide but not that much of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Film has gone off a cliff at the box office, down nearly 70% week on week in the USA/Canada, it'll still make a profit as this stuff sells far and wide but not that much of one.

Yup, after last weekend everyone was saying that 1 billion would be easy, this weekend they are saying that it's looking like $900 million will be hard.
    This may not even outgross Deadpool in America:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've read and listened to a lot of commentary about BvS since its release. One of the common remarks about the actual Batman/Superman fight itself is that it was pretty decent but just a little too short.

There are fundamental script problems when such a fight is too short in a 2.5 hour movie called Batman v Superman.

I've read and listened to a lot of commentary about BvS since its release. One of the common remarks about the actual Batman/Superman fight itself is that it was pretty decent but just a little too short.

There are fundamental script problems when such a fight is too short in a 2.5 hour movie called Batman v Superman.

I thought it was fantastic, both in terms of action and duration. I did not want to see a back and forth 30-minute "action packed" (where every set piece they could think off would be used). Again, like the film,

Maybe it was just me, but I was FAR more interested in the build up to the fight (and the reasons behind it) than the fight itself. It was gritty, it was brutal and it was compact.

"Batman vs Superman", as I had hoped for, dealt with the morals and ideals of one character not matching the other character and was not all about the physical altercation.

Honestly, I shed a tear during the movie and I also fist pumped like a child before realising what I had done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FutureGuy wrote:
    "Batman vs Superman", as I had hoped for, dealt with the morals and ideals of one character not matching the other character and was not all about the physical altercation.

Really? I would have liked this but all I remember is Clark confronting Bruce at Lex's party and Superman telling Batman to stop being Batman, which all seemed a bit hypocritical given the wanton destruction at end of MoS. I don't even know what Superman's morals and ideals are in this universe are, branding people is wrong but flying a man through 3 walls at super speed is ok?

When it came to the final showdown a difference of ideals wasn't mentioned, Batman wanted to kill Superman because he witnessed the destruction and felt he was too dangerous and powerful, meanwhile Superman wanted to save his mother.

That's how I read it and so to answer the original question; I don't think it was too short, it was a decent fight but for me the motivations of the characters were were weak, verging on non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That's how I read it and so to answer the original question; I don't think it was too short, it was a decent fight but for me the motivations of the characters were were weak, verging on non existent.

For me the only bad thing about the fight (apart from the end) was the lack of variation. Okay, Batman manages to hit Supes with a kryptonite grenade. Good stuff. About 2 minutes later, Superman can quite clearly see Batman loading another kryptonite grenade into the launcher, and yet he still charges at him, straight into it.

I would have liked to have seen more traps set by Batman, showing how he's analysed Superman's strengths and weaknesses. Trick him into using his laser vision in a room filled with odourless gas and blowing himself up or something. Do something different. Don't just hit him with Kryptonite gas twice in the same fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I was destined not to like this film:
    • Went to the 2D screening, turned out to be 3D instead.
    • 3D wasn't aligned for 2 minutes. Then when it was it wasn't fully right leaving a subtle shadow on everything so the 3D effect was muck............as well as the usual problems of it leaving a film too dark so scenes were just a blurry mess.
    • Speaker beside us kept popping intermittently.
    • Eejit with his kids down the front aisle every 20 minutes yawned as loud as he possibly could. "YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!"
    • Kids up the back weren't watching the film and kept talking as loud as they could.
    • Another person was on their phone with their earphones on..........fúckin' earphones.
    • Then there was the case of someone, what I presume, constantly shítting their pants because it smelt rotten. Seriously, that person needs to see a vet or something because that wasn't human.

I don't normally go during the day, this was an exception....................never again, though! :pac:

Anyways, the film itself! I didn't really like it and don't think it's a particularly good film despite it having sprinkles of one in there.

Affleck was great as Batman and I say this as someone who isn't really fond of him as an actor (really like his directing, though). He played the viciousness of Batman very well and Jeremy Irons was superbly dry as Alfred.

For me, everything Batman and Alfred were by far the best and most interesting moments of the film and give me good confidence for the solo Batman film. Watching those 2 bounce off each other would be entertaining to see.

Batman shooting and killing people didn't bother me, rules had changed and it was addressed how much more vicious he was getting. I much prefer that than a Batman emphasizing his No-Kill rule while constantly breaking it and it's not paid attention to, this Batman just didn't give a shít when it came to results.

The big fight itself was enjoyable, you always route for the underdog in Batman, Superman could wipe him out with his strength but Bats can outsmart him. I get why Batman decided not to kill him but it was done so sloppy and the complete 180 was insanely fast, felt far too artificial.

There was a lot of problems in this film with enormous plot-holes and some really awful dialogue, enough cheese that you'd probably die if you were lactose intolerant.

It's not the awful film by critic's standards but I just didn't find it to be a good film either. There were genuinely some good, even fantastic, moments in there but ultimately it was brought down by too many silly elements and the weight of trying to set up the Justice League.

Bring on the Batman film, though. I wanna see more of the angry, vicious Batman and tech-head Alfred :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    For me the only bad thing about the fight (apart from the end) was the lack of variation. Okay, Batman manages to hit Supes with a kryptonite grenade. Good stuff. About 2 minutes later, Superman can quite clearly see Batman loading another kryptonite grenade into the launcher, and yet he still charges at him, straight into it.

I would have liked to have seen more traps set by Batman, showing how he's analysed Superman's strengths and weaknesses. Trick him into using his laser vision in a room filled with odourless gas and blowing himself up or something. Do something different. Don't just hit him with Kryptonite gas twice in the same fight.

Batman placed the spear so deliberately that I'd thought there was some large plan starting out side with the sonicwall and turrets that ended with the spear but no they both kinda just ended up there. He could have just started with the grenades and the spear, just grenade him when the sonicwall thing went off and then stabby stabby.

Varik wrote: »
    Batman placed the spear so deliberately that I'd thought there was some large plan starting out side with the sonicwall and turrets that ended with the spear but no they both kinda just ended up there. He could have just started with the grenades and the spear, just grenade him when the sonicwall thing went off and then stabby stabby.

Aye, and that's ignoring the fact that they ended up in that building because Superman flew them there, not because Batman led them there. So maybe Batman had more traps to get Superman into that room and had to improvise to get them back there, but it made the fight a bit more bland as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

The fight while cool did seem very poor.

I mean the fight in the Dark Knight returns was so much cooler, batman made full use of traps and help. It is true in this film it seemed very odd at how it was set.

Superman had used his speed but seemed to not be able to use it later, he shows his strength by tossing Batman through a building, but cant fight at other times.
    Batmans traps while initially good looking didnt do much really, and as others have said his placement of his spear seemed at the end very much, "ah sure it will be grand here"

The fight with Doomsday dragged on so much cooler, considering the film was Batman V Superman.

allibastor wrote: »
    The fight while cool did seem very poor.

I mean the fight in the Dark Knight returns was so much cooler, batman made full use of traps and help. It is true in this film it seemed very odd at how it was set.

Superman had used his speed but seemed to not be able to use it later, he shows his strength by tossing Batman through a building, but cant fight at other times.
    Batmans traps while initially good looking didnt do much really, and as others have said his placement of his spear seemed at the end very much, "ah sure it will be grand here"

The fight with Doomsday dragged on so much cooler, considering the film was Batman V Superman.

It was the effects of the Kryptonite gas that caused Superman to have variances in his power. You can see him gradually get stronger the more it wears off.

It was a fantastic moment in the fight where Batman's punching him and as Superman's strength returns the punches have less and less effect on him, until he's back to being steel-jawed.

Of course though, Batman hits him with another kryptonite grenade about 30 seconds later which kinda spoils it, but still, it was a fantastic moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It was a fantastic moment in the fight where Batman's punching him and as Superman's strength returns the punches have less and less effect on him, until he's back to being steel-jawed.

That was probably the highlight of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

It was the effects of the Kryptonite gas that caused Superman to have variances in his power. You can see him gradually get stronger the more it wears off.

Of course though, Batman hits him with another kryptonite grenade about 30 seconds later which kinda spoils it, but still, it was a fantastic moment.

Hey, no i meant even before he used the gas, such a using heat vision to destroy the sound wall and being able to throw Batman around and use super speed. I mean in reality if he could move that fast he should have at least been able to get Batman in a headlock or something in quick time.

It should have had much more focus on the trap setting and forethought of Batman.

Bacchus wrote: »
    That was probably the highlight of the fight.

I think that's when I fist-pumped, not because I was rooting for a particular character, but it was so fcuking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think my favourite moment of the movie was when Batman unceremoniously batters Superman over the head with a sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Think my favourite moment of the movie was when Batman unceremoniously batters Superman over the head with a sink.

If it was Joel Schumacher's version of Batman, he definitely would've quipped "Let that sink in!"

Snyder really missed a trick there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I had a listen there to the soundtrack, mostly for a bit of Zimmer. It's an erratic soundtrack, much preferred the MoS one. The WW "Is She With You?" track is class though. I did enjoy the titling of the track "Tuesday". Took me a second to click what that was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It was the way it was having less effect, it wasn't like the CGI bullet to the eye (I think that was return) it was "real in a surreal way" :D

There was so much good about this film, a few reshoots and better editing and it'd be great. Thankfully it's such a big franchise they'll continue improve. rather than calling it quits if this was something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Bacchus wrote: »
    I had a listen there to the soundtrack, mostly for a bit of Zimmer. It's an erratic soundtrack, much preferred the MoS one. The WW "Is She With You?" track is class though. I did enjoy the titling of the track "Tuesday". Took me a second to click what that was :D

The opening track 'beautiful lie' is quite good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Varik wrote: »
    There was so much good about this film, a few reshoots and better editing and it'd be great. Thankfully it's such a big franchise they'll continue improve. rather than calling it quits if this was something new.

That's the feeling I had after watching MOS. There was a great film in there but the editing was all over the shop. Then for Batman Vs Superman I left thinking there was 30 mins of greatness in there buried amongst 2 hours of average and mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought Batmans resistance cell in the wasteland in the future was absolutely brilliant, powerful imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Incidentally, BvS has now made about the same money as Man of Steel with a similar budget. It might beat MoS by a couple of hundred million by the end of its cinema run if it can get a half decent third weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wedwood wrote: »
    Incidentally, BvS has now made about the same money as Man of Steel with a similar budget. It might beat MoS by a couple of hundred million by the end of its cinema run if it can get a half decent third weekend.

This is true, but if I recall Man of Steel (while making a good profit) was seen as a box office disappointment that did not meet estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Man of Steel' made over 600 mil in dollars alone, on a budget of around 220 mil.

That's a hit in anyones books in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Man of Steel' made over 600 mil in dollars alone, on a budget of around 220 mil.

That's a hit in anyones books in reality.

It's a good profit, but it was short of what was expected. Just like BvS, it opened very strong but after negative reviews it experienced a huge from of 65-68%.

It amazes me how they seem intent on persisting with Zack Snyder, MOS should have been all the evidence they needed that he isn't the guy for this. Justice League are all doomed to the same fate unless they dump him asap. They've got such a rich world to work with, and characters that are novel or lesser known, or just have not been touched in longer than Marvels (which I see as a positive - makes them appear fresher to casual audiences if done right), and they've got someone with a track record of very poor, same-same movies that have no respect for the established world running it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a good profit, but it was short of what was expected. Just like BvS, it opened very strong but after negative reviews it experienced a huge from of 65-68%.

It amazes me how they seem intent on persisting with Zack Snyder, MOS should have been all the evidence they needed that he isn't the guy for this. Justice League are all doomed to the same fate unless they dump him asap. They've got such a rich world to work with, and characters that are novel or lesser known, or just have not been touched in longer than Marvels (which I see as a positive - makes them appear fresher to casual audiences if done right), and they've got someone with a track record of very poor, same-same movies that have no respect for the established world running it.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why Snyder's Superman was bad.

I'm not a fan of his at all. I haven't been since his silly remake of 'Dawn of the Dead' 12 years ago. But, I liked his mature take on the character. I apprciated Kal El's brooding over being a lone alien amonst a people who don't trust him and having to combat his own kind in their defence.

That's all great IMHO.

People not liking it because they wanted some sort of cartoon, I can't really get on board with. I liked the fact that it didn't go down the Chuckle bros route like the Marvel films, which have become interchangable nothings at this point, bar the "odd" Marvel heroes like 'Ant-Man' or 'Deadpool', which have tried something a bit different.

I still haven't seen 'Batman Vs Superman' though. Don't know if I will. But something tells me it isn't half as bad as some people are saying.

As for Snyder, it's doubtful whether he'll get another go. Affleck is already on board for a Batman sequel, which he'll direct and I'll admit that sounds interesting. More interesting than a 'Justice League' film, that's for sure, which contains some of the crappest Superheroes ever.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I'm looking at you!

Advertisement