Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Saw it last night. It's not as bad as people are making out but it is pretty bad I'm sad to say. Looks like big chunks were cut out of it (even though it's still an overly long movie), not sure if this happened before filming or in editing. It feels like a big preview for future movies, not a problem with me as long as the movie you are presenting is coherent and enjoyable which this isn't imo. Would be interested to see a Batman movie with Aflack though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Man of Steel' made over 600 mil in dollars alone, on a budget of around 220 mil.

That's a hit in anyones books in reality.

$668m worldwide according to Wikipedia. The $225m figure was the production budget, I'm sure marketing was at least another $100m. My understanding was that they expected to make more on this movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why Snyder's Superman was bad.

I'm not a fan of his at all. I haven't been since his silly remake of 'Dawn of the Dead' 12 years ago. But, I liked his mature take on the character. I apprciated Kal El's brooding over being a lone alien amonst a people who don't trust him and having to combat his own kind in their defence.

That's all great IMHO.

People not liking it because they wanted some sort of cartoon, I can't really get on board with. I liked the fact that it didn't go down the Chuckle bros route like the Marvel films, which have become interchangable nothings at this point, bar the "odd" Marvel heroes like 'Ant-Man' or 'Deadpool', which have tried something a bit different.

I still haven't seen 'Batman Vs Superman' though. Don't know if I will. But something tells me it isn't half as bad as some people are saying.

As for Snyder, it's doubtful whether he'll get another go. Affleck is already on board for a Batman sequel, which he'll direct and I'll admit that sounds interesting. More interesting than a 'Justice League' film, that's for sure, which contains some of the crappest Superheroes ever.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I'm looking at you!
    Snyder is in the hotseat for Justice League and given shooting begins this month, it's pretty much given that he's getting another go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Snyder is in the hotseat for Justice League and given shooting begins this month, it's pretty much given that he's getting another go.

It''s not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that Synder could get the boot, that sort of thing has happened many a time in Hollywood down the years. Heck, it wouldn't even be the first Superman adaptation to have a director replaced midshooting. All unlikely, but not impossible if Warmer / DC get another brainfart.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It''s not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that Synder could get the boot, that sort of thing has happened many a time in Hollywood down the years. Heck, it wouldn't even be the first Superman adaptation to have a director replaced midshooting. All unlikely, but not impossible if Warmer / DC get another brainfart.

Snyder and his wife are heavily involved in the DCEU producer wise, so it's more complicated than previous cases of chucking directors.

I mean look at Marvel, never in a million years would they let a director take such a stake in the MCU, not even Whedon, because it makes it far easier to make business decisions such as axing Wright and the original director of Thor 2, Patty Jenkins.

There's only one way that Snyder leaves the director's chair: by stepping aside of his own accord, and I think he'll do that after JL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cracked.com weigh in (note: it's a comedy website, but they pretty much nailed a lot of things. Plus I'm convinced Dan O'Brien in the blue/black striped shirt is one of the funniest people around)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Very interesting. So flash possibly wasn't referring to superman

http://buzz.ie/batmans-knightmare-sequence-in-bvs-explained-by-movies-storyboard-artist/

http://buzz.ie/batmans-knightmare-sequence-in-bvs-explained-by-movies-storyboard-artist/

Even though the article didn't outright state it I detest the implication that Darkseid is a rip off of Thanos.

Darkseid came before Thanos! :mad::mad::pac:

The sound mix was so bad at the cinema I saw it in I couldn't figure out what The Flash was saying. I could pick up certain words but that was it.

Even though the article didn't outright state it I detest the implication that Darkseid is a rip off of Thanos.

I wonder how many times that will be used in the future justice league threads as a reason why people didn't like those films :D

• Advertisement

I wonder how many times that will be used in the future justice league threads as a reason why people didn't like those films :D

The sad thing is that I wouldn't be surprised if WB and DC go with a new design or a less well known design of Darkseid just to avoid the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It doesn't imply that at all, in fairness.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Thanos design was inspired by Darkseid. The creator of Thanos was trying to do something similar to Jack Kirby's New Gods and initially had Thanos designed like Metrod who was far smaller and skinnier but his editor basically told him "if you are going to rip off the New Gods, at least rip off the best one!" and thus the Thanos we know was created :p

In that article it says that the creature Lex is communicating with is presumed to be Darkseid. If thats Darkseid and thats how Zack "I'm a complete f**king hack and crap director" Snyder sees him and makes him Im going to fly to America, find that absolute snot stain and beat the f**k out of him. Sometimes especially arrogant, slimey little turds only understand violence and I have no issue with being the one to do that. Hes SOOOOOOOO the wrong person to be going anywhere near DC, but hey, lets remake Ghostbusters and Total Recall and Robocop and whats that? The Presidents a Duck?! Rob Schneider de derp de derp de diddly derpy derpy dum.

I think it boils down to stupid people liking watered down sh*t versions which are easy to digest compared to their original material. If you have to think about it you might not understand it and that might mean you are stupid which makes you unhappy but if someone is there to water down and label that really hard thing for you, you can lap it up and pretend you aren't stupid and actually have taste.

oh and Snyder is Michael Bays little brother who takes himself too seriously. At least Michael Bay knows he makes big dumb films for big dumb people, Snyder doesn't

Wonder Woman movie has changed from June 23, 2017 to June 02, 2017

THR reports two more, 'Untitled' DCEU films are slated for Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019. The studio has also secured the date of Oct. 6, 2017 for an Untitled WB Event film. Here's an updated list of the current DCEU release schedule.

DCEU Film Slate:
    Summer 2016 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Extended Ultimate Edition
    August 05, 2016 - Suicide Squad

June 02, 2017 - Wonder Woman
    November 17, 2017 - Justice League Part One

March 23, 2018 - The Flash
    July 27, 2018 - Aquaman
    October 05, 2018 - Untitled DC Film

June 14, 2019 - Justice League Part Two
    November 01, 2019 - Untitled DC Film

April 03, 2020 - Cyborg
    June 19, 2020 - Green Lantern Corps

Hopefully one of those is the rumoured Ben Affleck directed Batman film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

June 14, 2019 - Justice League Part Two November 01, 2019 - Untitled DC Film

I looked it up on imdb and supposedly the Rock's Shazam film is scheduled for 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

A lot of people have speculated that the character in the deleted scene is actually Yuga Khan, Darkseid's father.

communion-yuga-khan-1.jpg?w=720

latest?cb=20111219145432

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Steppenwolf is the other option

proving that Zack Snyder knows f-all about the style of Kirby's work and couldn't actually give a sh*t about it other than a little ego trip of his

It doesn't imply that at all, in fairness.

I saw it as an irrelevant comparison that wasn't required.

I saw it as an irrelevant comparison that wasn't required.

That doesn't mean it implied that Darkseid was a rip off of Thanos.

That doesn't mean it implied that Darkseid was a rip off of Thanos.

Why make the comparison at all? Instead of actually explaining who Darkseid is they basically said that he's DC's version of Thanos. It's lazy and more importantly misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Wonder Woman movie has changed from June 23, 2017 to June 02, 2017

THR reports two more, 'Untitled' DCEU films are slated for Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019. The studio has also secured the date of Oct. 6, 2017 for an Untitled WB Event film. Here's an updated list of the current DCEU release schedule.

DCEU Film Slate:
    Summer 2016 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Extended Ultimate Edition
    August 05, 2016 - Suicide Squad

June 02, 2017 - Wonder Woman
    November 17, 2017 - Justice League Part One

March 23, 2018 - The Flash
    July 27, 2018 - Aquaman
    October 05, 2018 - Untitled DC Film

June 14, 2019 - Justice League Part Two
    November 01, 2019 - Untitled DC Film

April 03, 2020 - Cyborg
    June 19, 2020 - Green Lantern Corps

Hopefully one of those is the rumoured Ben Affleck directed Batman film

I know its a different franchise but I am a bit sad we aren't going to get to see the Levitt Batman/Robin character

Why make the comparison at all? Instead of actually explaining who Darkseid is they basically said that he's DC's version of Thanos. It's lazy and more importantly misleading.

Lazy, sure. Misleading; not so much. It's pretty much how everyone explains everything though.

Quicksilver? He's like Marvel's version of The Flash.
    Sonic? He's like Sega's version of Mario.
    Hot dogs? They're like America's version of sausage rolls.
    Boyzone? They're like Ireland's version of Take That.

But whether you agree with it or not, it's overly dramatic to say they were implying Darkseid is a Thanos rip-off. Maybe you inferred that from it but it definitely wasn't implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the main point of the Darkseid/Thanos comparison was more to make the "overarching alien insanely-powerful bad guy of the films" comparison rather than which came first in the comics. People who've seen the MCU films know Thanos. The comparison is just saying Darkseid is to DCEU what Thanos is to the MCU.

Penn wrote: »
    I think the main point of the Darkseid/Thanos comparison was more to make the "overarching alien insanely-powerful bad guy of the films" comparison rather than which came first in the comics. People who've seen the MCU films know Thanos. The comparison is just saying Darkseid is to DCEU what Thanos is to the MCU.

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Thanos with the infinity gauntlet wrecks Darkseid though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I wonder how they are going to fit Batman into the finale fights in the JL? He was pretty useless and just stood on the sidelines in BvS. It can work in the comics of course, but to do it in film and make it believable is another matter. One flick from someone like Darkseid or Doomsday and he's flat out dead. The disparity in strength between him the other hero's is far too great for it to work, unless they go down the road of having the team fight an army of pawns like in the MCU. But I'm sure they'll make it up as they go along with aload of conveniences as to how he ends up competing with the other hero's

I know its a different franchise but I am a bit sad we aren't going to get to see the Levitt Batman/Robin character

It's not the same as seeing it, but I'll tell you how it goes; JG Levitt's John Blake gets hospitalised on his first night out as new Batman/Robin. After several weeks in a medically-induced coma, he is brought out of it but his injuries are just too much and he dies during a cardiac arrest. Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne comes back from Florence when he suddenly realises 'WTF was I doing? I just got a decent young lad killed'. He resumes his Batman career, forever torn that he will be the one who has to carry the Bat burden despite his ideal that any man can wear the mask, and his longing for a 'normal' life beyond it. They aren't long back in Gotham before Anne Hathaway's Catwoman gets bored and slips back into her old ways. By this time Bruce has his hands full with the Joker who has finally sprung from Arkham...

That is the only way that goes, and one of several problems for me with TDKR. Never mind how Blake knew Batman's secret identity because Bruce Wayne gave him the secret orphan look years before, but how Blake could take up the Bat-mantle and actually make a go of it doesn't wash with me.

We saw in this movie how Blake was unable to handle himself in a group fight. We saw in Batman Begins how a younger Bruce Wayne wasn't able to handle himself in a group altercation with the scene where he confronts Falcone in the bar down the Narrows. However, Bruce then left Gotham to educate himself and train himself towards being someone who could deal with criminals. He did this for years culminating in his training with Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows. Only then was he able to not only create the Batman persona, but more importantly have the power to do such a thing and be the man behind it. Physical strength is one thing, drive and motivation is another, but let's not forget that Bruce Wayne is a billionaire so financial strength was just as important for all of Batman's arsenal and gadgets.

John Blake had none of these things. At the end of TDKR, he is a cave-diver. Between him getting his ass kicked in TDKR by a group of Bane's henchmen, and him graduating to BatRobin at the end of the movie, there was nothing in between that would convince me that he wouldn't get fatally injured on his first night out on duty. In the same series of movies that showed us just what it took for Bruce Wayne to become Batman and the sacrifices involved, and did it well, it then expected us to believe that none of this mattered when it came to John Blake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wonder how they are going to fit Batman into the finale fights in the JL? He was pretty useless and just stood on the sidelines in BvS. It can work in the comics of course, but to do it in film and make it believable is another matter. One flick from someone like Darkseid or Doomsday and he's flat out dead. The disparity in strength between him the other hero's is far too great for it to work, unless they go down the road of having the team fight an army of pawns like in the MCU. But I'm sure they'll make it up as they go along with aload of conveniences as to how he ends up competing with the other hero's
    I think it would be a better idea to ave him more in the background of sorts (which his age would help for) - using his technology, intelligence and detective skills to play a less physically active but still very important role. It's really the only realistic fit for him I can see, re. the points you mentioned above. Equipping some of the other heroes with the stuff that makes Batman, well... Batman, could be pretty cool.

That said, who here is willing to take a bet that Zack Snyder won't be able to resist the urge for another cheesy 80s guitar riffs as Batman unexpectedly holds his own, or whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just on the Thanos / Darkseid debate, Jim Starlin admitted to modelling Thanos from Darkseid.

Advertisement