Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Rightwing wrote: »
    Over 30,000 tickets sold in limk already ;)
    A sh1te load sold off Ticketmaster also.....

Clareman wrote: »
    Clare supporters will be out numbered by at least 2 to 1 I reckon.
    I spent a few days touring around Clare last week. The lack of flags, banners etc in the County and in Ennis was noticeable. I saw a couple of chaps with Jerseys on them in the town. Seems to be no buzz around the place at all.

Limerick City and County on the other hand.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

cabledude wrote: »
    I spent a few days touring around Clare last week. The lack of flags, banners etc in the County and in Ennis was noticeable. I saw a couple of chaps with Jerseys on them in the town. Seems to be no buzz around the place at all.

Limerick City and County on the other hand.........

Thats Clare for you. The dark horses keeping low key and pretending nothing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm getting nervous for this... I mean, I think Limerick are the better team. That is my personal opinion, I think the confidence gained from winning Munster will push us on, and we'd never be afraid of Clare, beat them last year in a knockout game, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't do the same now that we've improved.

But... it's going to be very close, there's not much between any of the teams left, and these things hinge on small margins. Red cards... been a lot of them this year, each time the side with 15 men has won. And stuff like Cork's goal against Dublin, you can't really account for something like that, but it's a game-changer.

Individual mistakes...pieces of individual brilliance, that's what these tight games are often decided on... I just hope we come out on the right side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm getting nervous for this... I mean, I think Limerick are the better team. That is my personal opinion, I think the confidence gained from winning Munster will push us on, and we'd never be afraid of Clare, beat them last year in a knockout game, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't do the same now that we've improved.

But... it's going to be very close, there's not much between any of the teams left, and these things hinge on small margins. Red cards... been a lot of them this year, each time the side with 15 men has won. And stuff like Cork's goal against Dublin, you can't really account for something like that, but it's a game-changer.

Individual mistakes...pieces of individual brilliance, that's what these tight games are often decided on... I just hope we come out on the right side.
    Id agree,with some of that.

Clare have improved also though since last year,and in every game since the cork game.

This game like last sunday will be hugely influlenced by how both managers set their teams up,and on the day react the quickest to the flow of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Who is the ref for sunday?

Who is the ref for sunday?

Johnny Ryan afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Of course, Cork only beat Clare by 8 points and lost to Limk by 9, so that makes perfect sense :rolleyes: Back to your playskool

So by your logic Linerick will win by about 17 points.

If only it was that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I think we should just give Limerick a walkover into the final altogether :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's pretty obvious I was referring to the foolish claim that Cork would prefer meeting Clare to us, so try reading the previous posts before making yourself look silly.
    I think we should just give Limerick a walkover into the final altogether :p

Judging by the expected turmout on Sunday, most Clare "fans" seem to agree :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It's pretty obvious I was referring to the foolish claim that Cork would prefer meeting Clare to us, so try reading the previous posts before making yourself look silly.

No it's just like Limerick around here at the moment, everyone seems to be talking about the final like beating Limerick is a foregone conclusion :rolleyes: To be honest I couldn't call it and if I'm not shouting for the banner in September I'll be shouting for Limerick!!

Im sorry you will be the one who looks silly if Clare beat Limerick on Sunday.

getting bit too cocky by sounds of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No, to be fair Clare look to have a genuinely exciting team and if I was neutral I would prefer to see them lift Liam. But this is our big opportunity, we need to emphasise our physical superiority over them and take the wind out of their energizer bunny sails.

Looking a year or two down the line, I wouldn't be as confident; they could well have progressed beyond us and all the rest by then.

Im sorry you will be the one who looks silly if Clare beat Limerick on Sunday.

getting bit too cocky by sounds of it.

They have to get over Clare first so we will see how they get on. Cork have a final to look forward to. Limerick pending. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Saffron and Blue tinted glasses on here but I can't see anything but a Clare win on Sunday. Conlon was a huge loss against Cork and a bit more composure in front of goal and we could have been a lot closer. I know a lot has been made of the open spaces, but I think the likes of Thurlas and Croke Park suit the Clare style a lot more than the Gaelic Grounds, with that in mind Limerick have played both their games in the Gaelic Grounds.

The winning and losing of the game is going to be the Limerick half back/Clare half forwards, Clare's style of play involves bringing everything back a lot and leaving a lot of space in front of the full forward line, players are encouraged to take their scores while also making space for each other by running off their men, no doubt that Limerick will try to negate this.

Another massive factor is the fact that Clare have had a tough game against Galway since Limerick has last played along with the fact that a lot of their players won the Munster under 21 last week. Bet of the week in my opinion is Clare by 4-6 points at 13/2

I hope Limerick win myself. Mum is Limerick woman and be good banter in our household.

A team of Limericks tradition deserve a AI, although you have to earn them.

Just the more the weeks days go on the more I fancy Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I cant see Clare being good enough to beat this Limerick side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Not many people talking about this game in Ennis other than those of us who love the GAA

I'm hearing a lot of optimism I'm not so sure
    My heart says Clare all the way
    My head says Limerick are on a high on the back of the Munster
    I reckon there will be only a point or two in it (unless we see another red card)
    The Clare side have the experience, the speed and the forwards
    The Limerick side have the confidence
    I can't call it

The closer we get the more nervous I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm not worried about Clare, if we can't beat them we don't deserve to be in the final. I'm sure they are saying the same. I've nothing against cork,,but if clare beat us, I'll be for them in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Clareman wrote: »
    Saffron and Blue tinted glasses on here but I can't see anything but a Clare win on Sunday. Conlon was a huge loss against Cork and a bit more composure in front of goal and we could have been a lot closer. I know a lot has been made of the open spaces, but I think the likes of Thurlas and Croke Park suit the Clare style a lot more than the Gaelic Grounds, with that in mind Limerick have played both their games in the Gaelic Grounds.

The winning and losing of the game is going to be the Limerick half back/Clare half forwards, Clare's style of play involves bringing everything back a lot and leaving a lot of space in front of the full forward line, players are encouraged to take their scores while also making space for each other by running off their men, no doubt that Limerick will try to negate this.

Another massive factor is the fact that Clare have had a tough game against Galway since Limerick has last played along with the fact that a lot of their players won the Munster under 21 last week. Bet of the week in my opinion is Clare by 4-6 points at 13/2

Think you could be right on this. I think Conlon will need a big big game for Clare. But I also think he is very capable of delivering it.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking one of the key things will be how Limerick deal with Kelly/Collins. Two hugely mobile players who will drop deep, move into space and carry the ball from backs to forwards as well as creating stuff for others.

They are Clare's key attacking threats...and if Limerick can snuff them out to some extent, I can't see Clare creating the necessary chances to win. If we let them run riot, and deliver good ball... well, that would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Browney7 wrote: »
    The only thing is that half Limerick will have the same idea and cram onto the luas. A better bet could be the Navan road parkway. Can park the car and get the commuter train into Drumcondra
    In the Croke Park queries thread but if he avoids Abbey Street Luas stop he'll be grand. Bus Áras stop is closed after big game so my advice is walk to Connolly and either get a Luas from there or walk 3 minutes to George's Dock. He'll get himself a seat and all.

Last Sunday they had Abbey Street platform completely closed off and had a single line queue on one side, and the queue was long, believe me!! And it'll be the same again on Sunday with all the Limerick fans heading to Heuston after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Amprodude wrote: »
    Corks poor shooting and wides kept Limerick in the match. When Horgan got sent off Limerick started to get on top and really only pulled away last 10 mins in match in their home ground.

Do you think Limerick would have played as bad in the second half, as they did in the first?! We didn't hurl at all in the first 35, yet were still level going in at half time.

The winning of the game for Limerick was all the bad wides Cork hit in the first half. The sending off merely decided the margin of Limerick's victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drmactastic

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not leaving much time with a 5:20 train to be fair

Sorry, it leaves at 7:20,my mistake.

grenache wrote: »
    Do you think Limerick would have played as bad in the second half, as they did in the first?! We didn't hurl at all in the first 35, yet were still level going in at half time.

The winning of the game for Limerick was all the bad wides Cork hit in the first half. The sending off merely decided the margin of Limerick's victory.

We will talk after Sunday. Important match for Limerick against Clare first. We can then see where Limerick are at after then.

I forgot to answer a question to a Limerick poster here who was questioning why Limerick team who have only played at Croker a handful of times would falter.

Its been 40 years since ye won a AI. In that time ye have blown 2 AI maybe 3.

Dont tell me that it wont be brought up in every paper or corner they go, cause it will.

It does have a affect on players. Some will look at it positively and others will have doubts in there mind.(the latter seeming to be more true)

But for some reason tradition seems to be big factor in Croker. Cork/Mayo unable to beat Kerry in Croker, teams winning AI finals with worse team but with more success down the years.

It happens and to think it will not have a a baring if Limerick are in the final would be stupid and naive.

Of course Limerick have to get there first.

I hope they do and if Cork were to lose to anyone I would much rather it be Limerick, than Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Some people think that Limerick's physicality will win over Clare's skill but i'm not so sure. Clare might be on the small side but they are hardly lightweight. We need to give Honan more ball especially in the first half as he cleans up in the first 20 mins of every game. Clare were 7-2 ht/ft but are now down to 3-1. Good price considering they are 11-8 best price to win the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I forgot to answer a question to a Limerick poster here who was questioning why Limerick team who have only played at Croker a handful of times would falter.

Dont tell me that it wont be brought up in every paper or corner they go, cause it will.

It does have a affect on players. Some will look at it positively and others will have doubts in there mind.(the latter seeming to be more true)

But for some reason tradition seems to be big factor in Croker. Cork/Mayo unable to beat Kerry in Croker, teams winning AI finals with worse team but with more success down the years.

It happens and to think it will not have a a baring if Limerick are in the final would be stupid and naive.

I hope they do and if Cork were to lose to anyone I would much rather it be Limerick, than Clare.

We've lost our last 5 All Irelands.

Excellent points. And it is exactly these points that make Limerick, in my opinion, the hungrier of all the 3 teams left. Clare and Cork have had success in Croke Park in the last 15 odd years. It's been 40 for Limerick. That has to play on the minds of the panel and back room team. I don't doubt for a second that John Allen isn't subtly planting those thoughts in the lads. The hunger is there. And its massive. All this chat of pitch dimensions and the like are all bull manure. It's very hard to beat 40 years of built up hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

angelfire9 wrote: »
    The Clare side have the experience

They have no experience at all :confused: Not one of the team has eve played in an AI senior semi final, underage success and experience in Croke Park will count for very very little on Sunday, just ask anyone from Limerick on this!

Looking at both teams and the anticipated duels I think myself that the key to the game will be Honan and McGrath for Clare, Richie McCarthy is having a fine year but has been quite fortunate as well, if Honan gets the right supply of ball I can see him skining him, McCarthy is not the tallest of FB's as it is and Honan is a giant. Conor McGrath seems to me to be struggling a small bit with confience and he has also been a victim of Clares tactics in that he needs quick low ball into space, if the new foiund space in Croke Park can reinvigorate him it will be a massive step on the way for Clare.

Advertisement