Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Limerick v Clare All Ireland Hurling Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well if the Gaelic Grounds is much tighter it's highly relevant, asLimerick have won two games playing negatively.

It's all about the pressure on the Clare backs really, the only way Limerick will score a goal is by Clare making a mistake back there as they're not setup to create goal chances.

Clare themselves have pretty telegraphed tactics, but it'd still be hard to keep a handle on Honan and McGrath, and the likes of Kelly and Collins running from deep.

One thing is though that Clare have conceded goals from defensive mistakes already this year...twice, I think? Limerick will play a very high pressure game in the forwards, which is the best way to take them on, I think.

And we haven't created many goal chances (Hannon fresh-aired a chance against Tipp, and James Ryan missed a great chance) but if we keep tapping over the points we should be okay. I still think the likes of Mulcahy and Hannon are well capable of getting goals if they are on form...and Tobin is known for getting goals, so hopefully he's fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

THFC wrote: »
    I was only referring to the myth of the wide open spaces in Croker, nothing else. It's the same as most pitches, including the GG, the difference is size between the GG and CP is minimal when you're talking about a pitch nearly 200m long.

I'd say it's more width that'd be important anyway, in terms of players looking for space.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    One thing is though that Clare have conceded goals from defensive mistakes already this year...twice, I think? Limerick will play a very high pressure game in the forwards, which is the best way to take them on, I think.

And we haven't created many goal chances (Hannon fresh-aired a chance against Tipp, and James Ryan missed a great chance) but if we keep tapping over the points we should be okay. I still think the likes of Mulcahy and Hannon are well capable of getting goals if they are on form...and Tobin is known for getting goals, so hopefully he's fit.

They can get goals, I'd say they are clinical enough but you can't score a goal if you don't get a chance! Clare are prone to making mistakes and ye do seem to play that high pressing game that could see them in trouble. At the same time if it;s a shootout I think Clare will win. Limerick have been exceptionally accurate so far in the championship, being at home and on a smaller field have to have played some part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

They can get goals, I'd say they are clinical enough but you can't score a goal if you don't get a chance! Clare are prone to making mistakes and ye do seem to play that high pressing game that could see them in trouble. At the same time if it;s a shootout I think Clare will win. Limerick have been exceptionally accurate so far in the championship, being at home and on a smaller field have to have played some part in that.

Well yeah, if it comes down to a shootout, the Clare lads do seem to have more natural firepower. Although they have been guilty of some wayward shooting at times...

Limerick's starting forward line isn't their to score much, it's there to hassle and harry, run themselves into the ground. In fairness, Jim-Bob scored a good few points the last day and we do tend to pick up frees. I'm assuming we're not going to let Clare have the space they'll look for, Collins and Kelly are the key men to watch, as has been said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fafa

I need advice I'm travelling to slane next Sat for eminem and staying overnight and going to croke park Sun. Where is the best place to park considering I'll be heading towards Limerick afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Fafa wrote: »
    I need advice I'm travelling to slane next Sat for eminem and staying overnight and going to croke park Sun. Where is the best place to park considering I'll be heading towards Limerick afterwards?

Hi Fafa,

I took the following parking information from the 'Croke Park on match days' thread:

"The Red Cow park and ride is 4 euro for 24 hours, then get the Luas to Bus Áras/Connolly/Abbey Street.

Walking from Connolly Station (or Abbey Street if you're on the Luas) takes about 10 minutes. Again, looking at Google Maps will give you directions.

It's €6 for parking in Cleary's multi story in Marlborough St. (up until 7pm). You must tell the parking attendant you are going to the game however. About 15 minutes walk from Croker.

Parkrite in Parnell Street is €4 on Sundays. Next to no traffic going in at around 12pm. 15 min walk to Croker."

I would say go with the Red Cow park & ride. That way you're avoiding any heavy city centre traffic before & after the game. The LUAS is a handy way to travel. And you're parked just off the M7, all ready to hit the road to Limmers after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

grenache wrote: »
    Hi Fafa,

I took the following parking information from the 'Croke Park on match days' thread:

"The Red Cow park and ride is 4 euro for 24 hours, then get the Luas to Bus Áras/Connolly/Abbey Street.

Walking from Connolly Station (or Abbey Street if you're on the Luas) takes about 10 minutes. Again, looking at Google Maps will give you directions.

It's €6 for parking in Cleary's multi story in Marlborough St. (up until 7pm). You must tell the parking attendant you are going to the game however. About 15 minutes walk from Croker.

Parkrite in Parnell Street is €4 on Sundays. Next to no traffic going in at around 12pm. 15 min walk to Croker."

I would say go with the Red Cow park & ride. That way you're avoiding any heavy city centre traffic before & after the game. The LUAS is a handy way to travel. And you're parked just off the M7, all ready to hit the road to Limmers after the match.

The only thing is that half Limerick will have the same idea and cram onto the luas. A better bet could be the Navan road parkway. Can park the car and get the commuter train into Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drmactastic

The two early trains to Dublin on 18th are sold out for over a week now, would it not occur to irish rail to put some extras on for the day :confused:

I bought a train ticket last week for Sunday (18th of Aug) that I am now not using. Its going from Charleville at 8.40am to Heuston and returning at 7:20pm from Heuston that afternoon after the match.

It cost e50 but I would sell it for e35 if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I bought a train ticket last week for Sunday (18th of Aug) that I am now not using. Its going from Charleville at 8.40am to Heuston and returning at 5:20pm from Heuston that afternoon after the match.

It cost e50 but I would sell it for e35 if interested.

Not leaving much time with a 5:20 train to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not leaving much time with a 5:20 train to be fair

Not a hope of making that train unless he leaves at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

grenache wrote: »
    Hi Fafa,

Is Clerys car park not closed now due to storm damage a couple weeks ago. Or is it just the stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Heart says Limerick. Head says Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Amprodude wrote: »

Heart says Clare head doesn't know :cool:, I think we have the ability, I don't think the venue will make a difference to our lads who have had success in croker at minor and u21 level
    I know there will be far more limerick support than Clare at the game
    I think it will be a close one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Im the same,id love limerick to win,but i think clare have more going for them.

Limerick arent used to croke park,like the clare lads,can't rely on the crowd factor of the gaelic grounds again or the bench to bring them home.

Im not sure under Allen they will bring anything new to the table.

Clare will meet them head on with the physicality and relish it.

Honan wont dominate but will keep rich mac busy.

Clare have the possesion game and the long game if needed.Limerick have only one style,go direct and use the bench with 15 to go.

Clare have a bench,but a manager who wont wait all day to make changes.

Limericks six week lay off is bound to tell.Clare got their bad game out of their system and improved in every game.
    I hope limerick win,as it be great for them to get to the final,and cork would rather them than clare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

cork would rather them than clare.

Of course, Cork only beat Clare by 8 points and lost to Limk by 9, so that makes perfect sense :rolleyes: Back to your playskool

Of course, Cork only beat Clare by 8 points and lost to Limk by 9, so that makes perfect sense :rolleyes: Back to your playskool

In fairness cork were much the better team in the first 35, minutes before horgan went.

How would ye played wiuhout hannon etc.

Horgan as proven is a huge player for cork.It be crazy to say cork had any chance of winning without him.

We are a much better and stronger team and panel since year fully strength panel at Home,made hard work of for a full hour to beat us.

If you think Cork fear limerick in croke park your mistaken,and wide of the mark.
    That 8 point margin,was not a true reflection of the game.

But you believe that,it suits this team to be the underdog.

Ye will have it all to do to beat clare sunday.Best of luck,i hope ye do.

Dublin were Leinster champions and by most people,too good for Cork.

Each game has its own life.

Cork will be much stronger,with a fully fit squad for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Im the same,id love limerick to win,but i think clare have more going for them.

Limerick arent used to croke park,like the clare lads,can't rely on the crowd factor of the gaelic grounds again or the bench to bring them home.

Im not sure under Allen they will bring anything new to the table.

Clare will meet them head on with the physicality and relish it.

Honan wont dominate but will keep rich mac busy.

Clare have the possesion game and the long game if needed.Limerick have only one style,go direct and use the bench with 15 to go.

Clare have a bench,but a manager who wont wait all day to make changes.

Limericks six week lay off is bound to tell.Clare got their bad game out of their system and improved in every game.
    I hope limerick win,as it be great for them to get to the final,and cork would rather them than clare.

Over 30,000 tickets sold in limk already ;)

In fairness cork were much the better team in the first 35, minutes before horgan went.

How would ye played wiuhout hannon etc.

Horgan as proven is a huge player for cork.It be crazy to say cork had any chance of winning without him.

We are a much better and stronger team and panel since year fully strength panel at Home,made hard work of for a full hour to beat us.

If you think Cork fear limerick in croke park your mistaken,and wide of the mark.
    That 8 point margin,was not a true reflection of the game.

But you believe that,it suits this team to be the underdog.

Ye will have it all to do to beat clare sunday.Best of luck,i hope ye do.

Cork have beaten Clare , were well on top of Limerick until Horgan was sent off, beat Kilkenny by more than a score and Dublin too. We shouldnt fear anyone. We are more than capable of winning All Ireland whoever we get once we perform to the best of our potential.

Cork have beaten Clare , were well on top of Limerick until Horgan was sent off, beat Kilkenny by more than a score and Dublin too. We shouldnt fear anyone. We are more than capable of winning All Ireland whoever we get once we perform to the best of our potential.

Unless my memory from the match is failing me,,,but i thought we were level at the time ? :rolleyes:

None of the semi-finalists fear anyone left, that's why it's so open.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Over 30,000 tickets sold in limk already ;)
    They will be just as many clare fans.
    Ye were familar with the gaelic grounds,a lot of yere guys wont be in croke park,compared to clare.

Unless my memory from the match is failing me,,,but i thought we were level at the time ? :rolleyes:

None of the semi-finalists fear anyone left, that's why it's so open.

Corks poor shooting and wides kept Limerick in the match. When Horgan got sent off Limerick started to get on top and really only pulled away last 10 mins in match in their home ground.

• Advertisement

Corks poor shooting and wides kept Limerick in the match. When Horgan got sent off Limerick started to get on top and really only pulled away last 10 mins in match in their home ground.

Yes and no. You have to take your chances regardless, no team will be on top for a full 70 mins.

The sending off seems to have inspired Horgan,,,,because he wasn't doing a whole lot of damage v us.

Ye were familar with the gaelic grounds,a lot of yere guys wont be in croke park,compared to clare.

I doubt that very much.

Def agree with the 2nd point,,,,maybe this is where Allen will be do well,,,,croke park, our graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I doubt that very much.

Def agree with the 2nd point,,,,maybe this is where Allen will be do well,,,,croke park, our graveyard.

Hardly a graveyard, we have beaten Clare and Waterford there in recent enough times.

slegs wrote: »
    Hardly a graveyard, we have beaten Clare and Waterford there in recent enough times.

I'm not too worried about Clare,,,it's the finals it seems to be a graveyard.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Clareman wrote: »
    The "old" Croke Park was a lot smaller than most other pitches, that's 1 of the reasons why it was deemed a disadvantage for teams that weren't used to playing there, now however it's almost at the maximum size which is 145m x 90m. Most county grounds will also have the opportunity to go to a big size but they'll often take it back in to make more space on the sideline.

Pitch is bigger but its harder to get messages onto the pitch. I've spoken a few people who have played there, and having been on the pitch on an AI day, I can understand why its so different to playing in any other county grounds. You have to have your preparation spot on, and know exactly what the tactics are.

I'm leaning towards Limerick, but there really isn't much between the team. Biggest thing in this years championship is that no team fear each other - neither of them will fear each other. Should be a cracking game on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ah no Clare don't have the support Limerick have. Expecting an improved Clare crowd but outnumbered all the same. Should be a big crowd overall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare supporters will be out numbered by at least 2 to 1 I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Clareman wrote: »
    Clare supporters will be out numbered by at least 2 to 1 I reckon.

Why is that? Clare used to have super support.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why is that? Clare used to have super support.

Clare has a small population, lots of emigration, not that many people following the team and Limerick has a huge buzz about them, not only are they the Munster champions they also have the minors are part of the build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I don't know about you, but the Munster final I was watching was a draw when Horgan got his marching orders. Nothing between those two teams up to that point.

Advertisement