Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft and pudgy!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

lachin wrote: »
    Ya, meant to get back to this sooner, I'm not hitting 120g or even near it all! And that's with taking two protein shakes a day.

It's difficult as a non meat eater

It's not that difficult. I don't eat meat OR dairy and I manage it once I keep an eye on things. A good veg diet should get you 60-70g a day and then add in 2 shakes and you're hitting 120-140g.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

TheBellJar wrote: »
    It's not that difficult. I don't eat meat OR dairy and I manage it once I keep an eye on things. A good veg diet should get you 60-70g a day and then add in 2 shakes and you're hitting 120-140g.

Can you give an example of a veg diet that would give 60-70g? I'd imagine you'd need to be eating colossal amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

nuts, beans, seeds, quinoa. then your supplements.

Here's a list with dairy on it. http://protein.rich-vegetarian-foods.com/100g.html

also:http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

lachin wrote: »
    Can you give an example of a veg diet that would give 60-70g? I'd imagine you'd need to be eating colossal amounts.

My diet varies daily, I used myfitnesspal in the past to work out protein %'s and now I just know most of them off. I've been a veggie for 18 years and when I initially looked at my protein count I was getting in 60g a day, now that I make more of an effort I hit over 100g easy enough. Beans, nuts, lentils, soy, green veg etc. You'll find more here. Then in your case, add in eggs, milk, cheese and I really don't see how you wouldn't be hitting at least 70g daily easily. Add in protein shakes then and you're well set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm a vegetarian, and I've started eating organic soya beans to up my protein. 125g cooked is loads, tasty and really filling - and 190 calories and 17.5g protein (according to myfitnesspal). They taste very like edamame, but they aren't the same bright green colour, but a delicate, pale beige.

I got a 500g packet of organic dried soya beans from the health food store, soaked them overnight, then, next day, simmered them in water till they were cooked, but with a teeny bit of bite - it took about 2 1/2 hours I think.
    That was a load of hassle BUT, when they were cooked, drained and cold, I weighed them out into individual 125g bags and froze them - I think it made about 10 bags! Now I take a bag with me to work, and microwave them and add to my lunch salad. You can of course throw them in chilli, and whatever other dishes you like. They are even nice by themselves with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.

You can use chickpeas also, and I'm sure other dried beans - but I know soya beans are high in protein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

Report/Study was on fully trained endurance athletes...Endurance athletes needs a whole lot of carbs, more important that protein for fueling their performance...such as Cyclists during races and tours

I don't know why this is confusing so many people!! The report (written by the American College of Sports Medicine) that I linked to says:
    The factors that are important for Olympic athletes include fueling and hydration (rest, too). The nutrients recommendations, per the joint position of the ACSM and Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition remain the same:

Protein – 15-20%
    1.2 – 1.4 g/kg/bw/day for endurance athletes
    1.6 – 1.7 g/kg/bw/day for strength athletes
    RDA 0.8 - 1.0 g/kg/bw/day

http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/acsm's-sports-performance-center/sports-nutrition-un-plugged

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2009/03000/Nutrition_and_Athletic_Performance.27.aspx#P308

Note the ACSM is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world.

Also note the Irish Sports Coucil quotes the same source and recommends the same quantity of protein intake.

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Institute_Of_Sport/Athlete_Zone/Sports_Nutrition_Supplements/Protein_Tech_Doc.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

In regards to excessive protein consumption, possible adverse effects may include increase urinary
    calcium excretion, and increased protein utilization as a fuel (Tarnopolsky M 2003, Barzel and Massey
    1998). Other negative consequences from excess protein consumption can include increased fat consumption, as many protein foods also contain fat, and possible decreased consumption of other essential
    vitamins and minerals. Given the high cost of protein foods, excess use of protein will over inflate food
    bills
    . There is no evidence that excessive protein consumption causes kidney disease in healthy adults,
    however excess protein consumption in conjunction with pre-existing renal disease may accelerate the
    progression of the disease (Tarnopolsky 2003, Poortmans and Dellalieux, 2000, Brenner 1982).

Ok I was willing to consider this until they mentioned that part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There is no evidence that excessive protein consumption causes kidney disease in healthy adults,

I wish someone would tell my family that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

theGEM wrote: »
    I don't know why this is confusing so many people!! The report (written by the American College of Sports Medicine) that I linked to says:

Note the ACSM is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world.

Also note the Irish Sports Coucil quotes the same source and recommends the same quantity of protein intake.

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Institute_Of_Sport/Athlete_Zone/Sports_Nutrition_Supplements/Protein_Tech_Doc.pdf

Strength athletes being wrestlers? And isn't that the recommendation for maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

But guys guys.... come on.. it was written in her notepad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement