Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft and pudgy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I learnt it in college from my tutor, its written in a notepad and i should'nt have to prove myself. Going to college and getting the cert should be enough.
    The standard of education/training needed to become a PT is pretty poor.
    Most, in fact all, good PTs are aware of this and tend to question very thing they are t

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I learnt it in college from my tutor, its written in a notepad and i should'nt have to prove myself. Going to college and getting the cert should be enough.

The standard of education/training needed to become a PT is pretty poor.
    Most, if not all, good PTs are aware of this and tend to question every thing they are told. Going as far to do their own study/research/reading into it.
    I'd have reservations about anyone who blindly believed everything they were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gymprincess27

I've heard this place was full of bullies and its CLEARLY true, my god. I had enough of this **** when I was in secondary school, I don't need it when I go on the internet. And its none of your business where I get my information, I learnt the basics in college and then have done further RESEARCH of my own. I've a good mind to report every single one of YOU!! I created an account on this yesterday to give and receive information, not to be BULLIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on this info do you still think im what some person called "a troll"? (which is the most stupidest name i've ever come across for what it actually means)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Report us.

Nobody is bullying you.

You were asked to back up your claims that 120g of protein was too much. You haven't been able to do that.

Do you always get this moany when someone doesn't agree with you? If so, maybe the internet isn't for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Genuine lol.

Your knowledge is a true loss. I will mark this day every year.

Before you go explain to us more about the 30 min window pwo for max protein absorption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I created an account on this yesterday to give and receive information

You aren't very receptive to other people's information !

Report us.

Nobody is bullying you.

You were asked to back up your claims that 120g of protein was too much. You haven't been able to do that.

Do you always get this moany when someone doesn't agree with you? If so, maybe the internet isn't for you. :)

Excuse me? you are an ass, if i was in front of you would you still have the balls to say that to my face?

Excuse me? you are an ass, if i was in front of you would you still have the balls to say that to my face?

Now now. No need to call me names.

I'm a girl btw, and yes I would say that to your face.

Reported.

Now now. No need to call me names.

I'm a girl btw, and yes I would say that to your face.

Reported.

If anyone should be reported its you, your the one who called me moany in the first place. I dont care if your a girl either, its that supposed to make me feel bad or something? I can see where you get your user name from.

If anyone should be reported its you, your the one who called me moany in the first place. I dont care if your a girl either, its that supposed to make me feel bad or something? I can see where you get your user name from.

Report me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

2268_1277855434049.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

There's no need to be so aggressive. If you put forward a statement- as you did, contradicting someone else- you ought to be prepared to defend your reasoning or link to a study that bolsters your argument. Just saying something and getting furious when challenged is pointless on a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Won't somebody think of the children!!!!

Or at least just go back to being of some use to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

All of you scrubs are getting trolled hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

scrubs?

Someones been listening to TLC

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

120g of protein is way too much unless your trying to bulk up, for general toning at 118 pounds you only need about 50-60 grams a day of protein.

Ya, meant to get back to this sooner, I'm not hitting 120g or even near it all! And that's with taking two protein shakes a day.

It's difficult as a non meat eater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

Stop running so much and lift free weights instead. Eat 120g of protein per day and yes you can take protein shakes if you don't always have time for real food. The key is to be consistent.
    120g of protein is way too much unless your trying to bulk up, for general toning at 118 pounds you only need about 50-60 grams a day of protein.
    It's not way too much. It's bang on.

120g for a 53kg (118lbs) person is far too much. Even if they were training for the olympics it would be far too much. Don't just read the nutritional advice on the back of your protein supplement box.

When one works in a lab setting doing research and has access to equipment and testing, sports nutrition is really a precise science. However, for most athletes, even those bound for the Olympics, until they are part of the official Olympic team they hopefully use the same principles we have espoused for many years.

The factors that are important for Olympic athletes include fueling and hydration (rest, too). The nutrients recommendations, per the joint position of the ACSM and Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition remain the same:

Protein – 15-20%
    1.2 – 1.4 g/kg/bw/day for endurance athletes
    1.6 – 1.7 g/kg/bw/day for strength athletes
    RDA 0.8 - 1.0 g/kg/bw/day

Carbohydrate 50-60%
    6-10 g/kg/bw/day

Fat <30% total kcal/day
    Less than 10% from saturated fat

http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/acsm's-sports-performance-center/sports-nutrition-un-plugged (this link works - you just need to copy/paste into url bar)

theGEM wrote: »
    120g for a 53kg (118lbs) person is far too much. Even if they were training for the olympics it would be far too much. Don't just read the nutritional advice on the back of your protein supplement box.

Thank you, at last someone who doesn't disagree with me :)
    Its a terrible thing to say that you have to give out where you get your sources of information from for anyone believe you. Clients don't ask where it comes from, they assume as your qualified you know your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This is the best thread iv ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP,

Milk & squats

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

OP,

Milk & squats

/thread

Don't drink milk and no offence but what will squats do for bingo wings?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

lachin wrote: »
    Don't drink milk and no offence but what will squats do for bingo wings?!
    You need to lose bodyfat, thats what bingo wings are. Just body fat deposits.

This is achieved mostly through a good balance diet which is less calories than what you use.

Lifting weights can help your body shape change making you appear slimmer.
    body fat is a layer over your whole body. you cant just spot reduce it. Exercising and getting the right calories will help reduce body fat total. squats utilise a lot of muscle and can help change the shape of your whole body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Stop running so much and lift free weights instead. Eat 120g of protein per day and yes you can take protein shakes if you don't always have time for real food. The key is to be consistent.
    your question was answered in the first reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This is an article you linked not a study.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This is an article you linked not a study.

Eh Read Again. This was the conclusion of the study and written by the same authors of the study. The full results is linked in the 2nd paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

:(
    Temporarily Unavailable
    The page you are trying to view is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we are working to resolve the issue. Please check back later, or contact us at publicinfo@acsm.org for immediate assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hi OP. Firstly welcome and congratulations on being motivated.

1. No sugar. No starch. Replace fizzy drinks with fresh juice not conventrate or ideally water. Cut out chips and crisps and pasta and potatoes. People say no bread but I find that extreme so buy nice brown seed bread or wholegrain. Up fish consumption like tuna or sardines. Not battered cod unless you roast not deep fry.

2. A good start is cardio day. Then weights day. Then rest day. Then repeat.

3. Speak to someone you know and trust that knows their stuff.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Protein requirements are reported at different amounts...

Some people report 1g/kg of body weight and other's say 1g/lb of body weight minimum...

I've spoken to a 7 time bodybuilding champion, who has recently finished a degree in sports science and does a whole lot of strength and conditioning training with a number of sports teams(professional sports teams)...He also does a lot of personal training in his own gym...

His a man who goes with the 1g/lb of body weight, this is a man whose worked in the exercise industry as a degree relevant to the industry and includes a scientific approach, so i'd go with the 1g/lb rule to be honest...

Also Anita Bean whose books on sports nutrition are considered some of the best also agree's with the 1g/lb of body weight

1g/kg of body weight is way too low from all the reading I've done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Report/Study was on fully trained endurance athletes...Endurance athletes needs a whole lot of carbs, more important that protein for fueling their performance...such as Cyclists during races and tours

Advertisement