Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The scene

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Barna77 wrote: »
    Not that sure about the FL. Been there a few times and feels a bit snobbish. Couple of friends were there once and they felt so looked down they left and bowed never to go back.

Panti all the way!

I'm not a fan of FL either. Then again I really only go to gay bars with a big gang of folks for special occasions. There are quite a few 'straight' bars though that aren't really straight, aren't really gay, they're just 'bars'. You know? The thing is if you want to meet someone for romance or a relationship, bars that double as clubs are never really going to work, whether you're gay and going to the george or dragon, or straight and going to Flannerys or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't know whose idea it was in Cork (I presume it's done elsewhere as well) but I really like the small rainbow flag stickers that were handed out to businesses. They're about the size of a business card and have something like, "We welcome all our LGBT customers" and quite a few businesses have them stuck somewhere in their window or door. I've asked a few friends about them and they said they'd never even noticed them as they're really unobtrusive, but whenever I notice one I didn't see before it brings a smile to my face. I doubt they prevent any problems and its not the same as a dedicated LGBT space but it's a bit of (maybe optimistic on my behalf) reassurance that the staff there are at least supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Dr. Shrike wrote: »
    I would read the links before passing judgement. Interestingly, some of them appear to have come out at a very early age, though I'm not entirely decided on the significance of that.

You're right, I misread the tone of your post. It seems the over the topness is tongue in cheek. That said reddit is a cesspool. It's nice to see challenges to behaviour expectations based on sexual orientation and push back against the predominant image of gay men. Homosexuality isn't the antithesis of masculinity etc.

If I was to speculate on the coming out at an early age. I would just think it's a matter of self acceptance at an important stage of growing up gives more room for personality development. Rather then feel like you have to suppress a side of yourself and hide your personality, you're free to develop it and away from certain notion and preconceptions of how you should behave as a LGBT person.

Supposedly one of the problems with setting up a niche gay bar is the Irish licensing laws make it difficult for new small bars to open. Someone with better knowledge of Irish vintner licences can correct me if I'm wrong.

Imagine somewhere as small as The Dawson Lounge or The Bar With No Name that could have all sorts of more unusual stuff that wouldn't fly in the larger bars.

Interesting, I would also think those most interested in setting up gay bars would be knee deep in the scene anyway and just recreate what they know and like.

I just think places like the george, the dragon and Panti bar should be able to show some diversity in their music, party themes etc. Would it kill them to have a rock/metal/indie night once a month or so. That said if somebody was to contact them, show evidence that there is a demand and take a level of responsbility for promotion . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

Well one of the other problems on the scene is that it can all depend on what promoters are there and what they're interested in doing at the time.

For instance, there was a long running night in various different venues called Q&A (Queer & Alternative). At a certain point the promoter just called it a day on that night and moved on.

Partie Monster and R.I.P also had strong alternative tendencies, but are also gone. I'm not sure if there is anything other than Mother playing non-pop, non-straight-up-dance at the moment.

I know someone who put on a mostly alternative night called QueerBash a while back, but he decided not to continue with the night after a few months.

So I'd be really curious about why things seem to be just so difficult for promoters these days.

• Advertisement

Well one of the other problems on the scene is that it can all depend on what promoters are there and what they're interested in doing at the time.

For instance, there was a long running night in various different venues called Q&A (Queer & Alternative). At a certain point the promoter just called it a day on that night and moved on.

Partie Monster and R.I.P also had strong alternative tendencies, but are also gone. I'm not sure if there is anything other than Mother playing non-pop, non-straight-up-dance at the moment.

I know someone who put on a mostly alternative night called QueerBash a while back, but he decided not to continue with the night after a few months.

So I'd be really curious about why things seem to be just so difficult for promoters these days.

I've only moved to Dublin recently so not that familiar. I know there was Queerbash in Limerick which the annual UL LGBT big night out. (not to make myself sound old) but I remember it having a strong alternative element because at the start it was in Bakers place and would invovle and draw a lot of UL's alternative and LGBT scene from other clubs and socities such as music, drama, debating etc. It was a real big tent event with a lot of solidarity. It's still a big event but doesn't seem to have same appeal with allies anymore since it has moved to Dolans on the same night as the monthly boutique gay party. UL LGBT still do a good night occasionally with a band but are notoriously cliquey.

Of course freakscene in cork was top floor rock/indie, second floor gay bar etc. That was cool.

I guess promoters want to make money and I know parties die and are discontinued after awhile. I have also seen the phenomenon elsewhere of a particularly themed party becoming a victim of its own success and in the end just being another typical gay night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

In fairness "straight" club promotors come and go in Dublin. New club nights are set up and get taken off the market again after a few months. It's a tough business. A lot of new nights, as interesting as they seem, just don't have the demand as people will always go to bars and clubs that they are familiar with and enjoy.

So imagine that times 2 for the gay scene, it's even harder.

I'd love to see something different to the standard gay nights but I really don't think there's a demand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Of course freakscene in cork was top floor rock/indie, second floor gay bar etc. That was cool.

I was going to Freakscene for years. Despite the gay level being called Danascene, seeing loads of gay people hook up and chatting to many drag queens I was never quite sure if it was a gay section or if the music was just terrible. (I was very oblivious.) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

There's a huge opening available in Cork for a new club with the closure of Ruby's last year.
    Or failing that, some already established nightclub running a gay night at least.
    All that is there at the moment is Loafers and Ruby Lounge, both bars.
    Seems strange that the second city in the country doesn't even have a gay nightclub!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

mackD wrote: »
    There's a huge opening available in Cork for a new club with the closure of Ruby's last year.
    Or failing that, some already established nightclub running a gay night at least.
    All that is there at the moment is Loafers and Ruby Lounge, both bars.
    Seems strange that the second city in the country doesn't even have a gay nightclub!

Isn't Ruby Lounge on Washington St a bar and niteclub? It had a dancefloor when I was there a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Isn't Ruby Lounge on Washington St a bar and niteclub? It had a dancefloor when I was there a couple of months ago.

It has a dancefloor alright but very much what I'd call a "pub/bar" atmosphere.

Please do!!!!

I've tried to get things moving, I started a twitter page and a steam group.

Twitter @GayIrishGamers

Steam http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gayirishgamers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi there,

I am visiting a friend in Limerick. I am new to town, I am wondering if there is any gay meet up or gay friendly bar, we would like to go out this weekend and see some of Limerick. Cheers

So regarding my previous comments about the Gaybros phenomenon.

Apparently there's a meet-up in Dublin tonight. Anyone care to go and report back?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaybros/comments/1jk6wl/meatup_in_memorial_dublin_ireland_meetup/

Edit: if it's not obvious, they're meeting outside Trinity. Though it's worth mentioning that they have a secret Facebook group (presumably to encourage closeted guys to turn up) that you have to ask to be let into http://www.reddit.com/r/gaybros/comments/1cviao/reminder_the_dublinireland_gaybros_facebook_group/

I would imagine everyone is in rainy Galway today for Pride:)

Doubt there's a large amount of overlap between those who would be interested in this meet-up and Galway Pride.

So regarding my previous comments about the Gaybros phenomenon.

Apparently there's a meet-up in Dublin tonight. Anyone care to go and report back?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaybros/comments/1jk6wl/meatup_in_memorial_dublin_ireland_meetup/

Edit: if it's not obvious, they're meeting outside Trinity. Though it's worth mentioning that they have a secret Facebook group (presumably to encourage closeted guys to turn up) that you have to ask to be let into http://www.reddit.com/r/gaybros/comments/1cviao/reminder_the_dublinireland_gaybros_facebook_group/

Is this the same crowd?

I wonder how judgemental they are if you ask to join?

"“It seemed to me I was just not like other gay guys, plain and simple,” explains Jack Whelan, 24, a moderator on Gaybros who lives in Dublin."
    Meet the Gaybros.

It might be cruel but that sounds arrogant and naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

I think they get a bit of a hard time from the LGBT community. One of the great things about the LGBT community is that it preaches acceptance and tolerance, yet a lot of the responses that I've seen from people about Gaybros have been the complete opposite; people calling them insecure or that they're lying to themselves.

I kind of sympathise with them to be honest.
    When I first came out I felt really pressured into the traditional gay stereotypes and hated it. It was only after I matured a bit that I realised I didn't have to conform to them.
    I think all they're saying is that their sexual orientation doesn't define them, and that they're the same as any other guys except for the fact that they happen to be attracted to other men.
    It's a bit presumptuous of people to say that they're only acting like that due to some kind of insecurity.

My take on the Gaybros is that they're actually more inclusivist than anyone in the gay media realises. If you check out their Reddit, it's full posts about gay rights and coming out. Also if you watch this Huffington post video, it's clear that their founder isn't the most masculine guy in the world.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/514a0822fe3444429e0000f9

My gut instinct is that they're an attempt to include certain disenfranchised gay men into the broader gay social and political world. Not create an exclusive group lacking in supposedly feminine gays.

You'd probably be fine going to the meet-up. Though if that video features them, they seem like a rather good looking bunch. Now that would make me feel self-conscious about going :rolleyes:

I am just automatically sceptical, diversity is welcome. I worry about groups defining themselves by what they're not and stereotyping everyone else. Will it not fall into the same trap that the gay scene falls into? They will have their own norms and associated behaviour that people will be expected to conform to.

It's also not surprising that they're being criticised from the "gay community" (whatever that is) when they're constantly trying distance themselves and say how they're different. I also think they shouldn't worry about challenging gender stereotypes. Straight or gay you shouldn't conform to gender stereotypes but that's what they're doing from what I've read. If they attached to a particular interest or hobby that they wanted to meet other gay guys through fine, but it just seems like "the same as any other guys" attitude is just another form of conforming to a stereotype.

I would criticise some gay guys for criticising other guys for not conforming to gay norms, I would criticise other groups who would do the same in another direction. I have been on the receiving end of criticism for being too gay and not gay enough .

It just seems like the "straight acting guy" line you see on dating sites, now has become an organised movement. Do have any specific activities?

I would be well able to talk about farming, cars, drag hunting and I worked in construction a few summers, but I don't care for sports and my long hair might mark me as one of the "gay community". If they're looking for food in Dublin, they should really go to the Bison bar it does Texan bbq and has a whiskey bar.

• Advertisement

Doubt there's a large amount of overlap between those who would be interested in this meet-up and Galway Pride.

Pride parades actually show a lot of diversity, well the Dublin and Limerick ones at least (ones I've attended in Ireland).

If the gay bros are really committed to being openly gay and accepting of everyone, attending such an event shouldn't be a big deal. Pride is still political and gay people are a cross segment of society, that needs to be seen.

I know the media focus on the extreme camp elements get tiresome but it can be really enjoyable to see the genuine diversity. Just don't go to any of the over priced after parties, terrible.

That said the way I dressed up at Dublin pride got strange glances and stupid questions because it didn't conform to the usual dress up that goes on. It got me on the RTE news though :D

Oh I'm sure that members of their overall group do go to Pride events. I just doubt that people who are dissatisfied with the scene, or feeling disenfranchised by depictions of supposed gay culture, are all currently at Galway Pride at this very moment.

Galway scene is struck off the list...I've never encountered a more unwelcoming and clique-ish scene before but I guess that is what to be expected from a small city.
    I was getting dirty looks frequently as if to say "what are you doing here?" and even the bartender said to me at one point "are you enjoying the night?" with a sarcastic smile:o
    I guess a really small venue like G Bar unwittingly harbours that kind of "house party" atmosphere where any stranger to that particular scene sticks out like a sore thumb and feels like an unwanted guest at a party.
    They need to bring back Dignity West which didn't feel "cliquey" at all

The Galway scene has issues. At one stage there was two warring Galway Prides :rolleyes:

Well there appears to be another, rather different, event on tonight that might suit people who dislike the scene.

Seomra Spraoi, a sort of left wing event space, are having an 80s themed bring-your-own-beer night.

They do nights like this every once in a while and they attract a mixed, extremely LGBT friendly, crowd.

https://www.facebook.com/events/214985505322732/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well there appears to be another, rather different, event on tonight that might suit people who dislike the scene.

Seomra Spraoi, a sort of left wing event space, are having an 80s themed bring-your-own-beer night.

They do nights like this every once in a while and they attract a mixed, extremely LGBT friendly, crowd.

https://www.facebook.com/events/214985505322732/

That link won't work?

That's odd, because it works for me. Maybe you need to be signed in to Facebook?
    Does this work?

https://www.facebook.com/seomrasp

Edit: both worked for me on a computer that wasn't signed into Facebook. Could something be blocking your access to Facebook then?

• Site Banned Posts: 64 ✭✭thomas.frink

McKrab wrote: »
    One of the great things about the LGBT community is that it preaches acceptance and tolerance, yet a lot of the responses that I've seen from people about Gaybros have been the complete opposite; people calling them insecure or that they're lying to themselves.

In fact, one of the ironies of the LGBT "community" is that they demand, quite rightly, acceptance and tolerance of others, but often does not show acceptance and tolerance towards others.

I was always very impressed with David Norris in debates as it was his tolerance and kindness towards those with whom he disagreed which often turned the argument. I sometime notice intolerance by some in the LGBT "community" towards anyone with whom they disagree, but then we are all human and its not always easy to be tolerant.

I say "community" in inverted commas as I don't accept there is one LGBT "community", but many LGBT people. "Community" is used by spokesmen to give the impression that they have all LGBT people behind them, when in fact opinions across LGBT people are as diverse as across any group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I say "community" in inverted commas as I don't accept there is one LGBT "community", but many LGBT people. "Community" is used by spokesmen to give the impression that they have all LGBT people behind them, when in fact opinions across LGBT people are as diverse as across any group of people.

Post of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 stephenken

we used to go out to the usual Dragon / panti / front lounge etc ... but haven't in a while ... been to a lot of gay bars all over the world ...Dublin is No:1
    But kinda grown past them really !

Advertisement