Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uruguay, a shining example to the rest of the world.

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

The first gay marriages in Uruguay took place this week, cannabis will soon be available to purchase over the counter in pharmacies.

Private consumption of all other drugs has never been illegal, though production and sale is.

Added to this is the fact that religion has no influence at all on the state, and it is one of the most secular countries in the world.

A shining example to the rest of the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Henlars67 wrote: »

Luis Saurez :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yep, great footballer and testament to the countries sporting infrastructure that they are able to produce world class footballers given their relative population size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh. A shining example to the world would be Switzerland or Germany. Cannabis legalisation and gay marriage are luxuries, not necessities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

what has he got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Quick someone reference the You Are Gay Simpsons joke!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Omackeral wrote: »
    Quick someone reference the You Are Gay Simpsons joke!!!

You are gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Would you like to move to Uruguay to take advantage of these things OP? (Serious question) If not, why not? What are the down-sides of living in Uruguay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It rains a lot in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

keith16 wrote: »
    Yep, great footballer and testament to the countries sporting infrastructure that they are able to produce world class footballers given their relative population size.

In fairness, so do we, despite having a shit sporting infrastructure, incompetent football authority and a population of EPL fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

Enough druggies on the streets here, harassing people for money. Taking a more lenient approach won't help with this.

• Advertisement

The first gay marriages in Uruguay took place this week, cannabis will soon be available to purchase over the counter in pharmacies.

Private consumption of all other drugs has never been illegal, though production and sale is.

Added to this is the fact that religion has no influence at all on the state, and it is one of the most secular countries in the world.

Their president Jose Mujica is a shining example of the common man. Drives a modest car (read: piece of crap) and donates a good deal of his salary to worthy causes. I learned about him through another boards thread. An awesome dude by all accounts.

Mujica... F*ck Yeah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fray Bentos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Enough druggies on the streets here, harassing people for money. Taking a more lenient approach won't help with this.

I agree.
    Pub and off licence opening hours should stay the same..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

anncoates wrote: »
    In fairness, so do we, despite having a shit sporting infrastructure, incompetent football authority and a population of EPL fanboys.

How many World Cups have we won again?

Why do people presume that legalisation would lead to more users?

I wouldn't be running out to buy heroin if private use suddenly became legal, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Meh. A shining example to the world would be Switzerland or Germany. Cannabis legalisation and gay marriage are luxuries, not necessities.

pesky human rights :)

To keep up the tenuous Ireland/Uruguay theme, Montevido is a bit of a kip.

Kinda like a South American Limerick.

Would you like to move to Uruguay to take advantage of these things OP? (Serious question) If not, why not? What are the down-sides of living in Uruguay?

I was faced with emigration a couple of years ago. Decided to return to education here instead. Emigration isn't for me, so no. But it is a country I definitely plan to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Only 2 less than Uruguay and one less and Engerland. Not bad considering Ireland's only played in 3 in total. :P

None.

Which is what I would have said if he had asked that as opposed to asserting that Uruquay produced decent players for a small country.

By your token, Portugal, Croatia or African countries produce shit players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

Why do people presume that legalisation would lead to more users?

I wouldn't be running out to buy heroin if private use suddenly became legal, would you?

No, but legalising private use isn't going to take druggies off the streets. I can't really see the advantage.

Plus, the murder rate in Uruguay is five times higher than Ireland.

They won the world cup in the 1930's when there only a handful of teams invited. Different scenario really .

Plus, the murder rate in Uruguay is five times higher than Ireland.

Also a widespread mullet/ponytail epidemic there.

Some of the barnets I saw over there are indelibly scorched on my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Equality and civil rights are never a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Omackeral wrote: »
    They won the world cup in the 1930's when there only a handful of teams invited. Different scenario really .

Won it in 1950 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

floggg wrote: »

Really? Preach that in a few third world countries and you'll soon find out how pompous your statement really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Such shite. Getting off your face is the only luxury there, there's no comparing that to a human right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

floggg wrote: »

i agree but there are "more worthy" essentials like food,education etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So Ireland should be more like Uruguay because you like their laws. A lot of people like China and USA so should we change to suit them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Really? Preach that in a few third world countries and you'll soon find out how pompous your statement really is.

So if marriage was not allowed for straight couples in a third world country , would you say that's an abuse of their human rights? Marriage should be considered a human right for both gay and straight people, the objectors have yet to produce a reasonable argument in why it shouldn't.

Advertisement