Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking snake story; what pets would you ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Archeron wrote: »
    Zombies. You think they're chained up safely in the garden behind the washing line full of bed sheets, but one lax moment and it's brain souffle.

I disagree with this completely! This zombie was raised in a poor environment, had no mental stimulation and given no exercise or any form of attention except being a lab-rat/exhibition! Don't blame the zombies, blame the owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Ush1 wrote: »
    I've had 2 pet dogs. Why do think I haven't?

Train it in what way? It wasnt a puppy and he had the dog about a month. Most domestic breeds of dog wont literally rip another one apart, trained or not.

It's obvious the previous owner was shítty one since it didn't get on with other dogs. It's nothing to do with what breed of dog it is, If you don't socialize your dog with other dogs at a young age they wont learn to be nice around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

baraca wrote: »
    Used to work in a petshop before and a fella came in one day and told me a story about a snake he used to have. Apparently it stopped eating for ages wouldn't touch nothing and he was regularly waking up on the sofa or wherever and finding the snake lying lengthways beside him.

Turns out the snake was sizing him up to see if he could fit him in to him. Rough turned me off snakes big time

Biggest load of bull.
    Pythons don't measure their prey before going after their meals: They grab, they squeeze, they eat.
    Simple as. No measuring of any sort.
    Plenty of pythons have grabbed animals far to be for them to swallow and after trying to swallow its prey it realises its not able to and spits out the head or part its swallowed so far as moves on to a smaller animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I don't understand the mentality around having a pet that would kill you if given half a chance. Or a pet that is scared of you.

I'd rather have a pet that will love me and show me affection. I want a dog... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's obvious the previous owner was shítty one since it didn't get on with other dogs. It's nothing to do with what breed of dog it is, If you don't socialize your dog with other dogs at a young age they wont learn to be nice around them.

Great but it doesnt make his dog any less dangerous.

Dog bites are a common thing, youre dealing with something that was a wolf a few generations earlier. Im not arguing for banning, just that dogs arent dangerous is patently false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Ush1 wrote: »
    Great but it doesnt make his dog any less dangerous.

Dog bites are a common thing, youre dealing with something that was a wolf a few generations earlier. Im not arguing for banning, just that dogs arent dangerous is patently false.

But you were saying it's the breed that made them not get on with other Dogs. It would be the same for every breed and even Humans. You isolate a person all their life from human contact then one day fill them with a room full of people, they would react similar. Defensive, Scared and maybe even violent.

It's nothing to do with what breed of dog it is, If you don't socialize your dog with other dogs at a young age they wont learn to be nice around them.

Breed does matter. To say two dogs of different breeds wont be different is absurd.

Environment affects behaviour/temperament. Doesn't stop breed being an important factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Used to work in a petshop before and a fella came in one day and told me a story about a snake he used to have. Apparently it stopped eating for ages wouldn't touch nothing and he was regularly waking up on the sofa or wherever and finding the snake lying lengthways beside him.

Turns out the snake was sizing him up to see if he could fit him in to him. Rough turned me off snakes big time

****ing Scarlet for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

That snake story seems odd. The snake just strangled them and didn't bother trying to eat them? Granted, I'm not an expert in exotic animals, but I would have thought that if it was going to kill them, it would have eaten them too? Surely it wouldn't kill them just for the sake of it?

As for banning certain pets, I think when it comes to exotic animals like snakes and such, owners need to be thoroughly checked out (maybe this is already the case), and made sure that they actually have the know-how and resources to give a good quality of life to such animals and make sure that they don't harm anyone.

As for dogs, pit bulls get a bad rep, but, in my experience, there's a whole lot of sensationalism surrounding that particular breed. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Yes, they get used for fighting, but whose fault is that? Bad owners make bad dogs. If you treat animals with respect and rear them correctly, more often than not, they will turn out just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I wouldn't ban any animals at all; I would however ban certain irresponsible human muppets from keeping pets of any kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Different breeds of dogs are evolved for different purposes. Certain breeds are evolved to fight. It is not tabloid journalism re-hashed.
    There is some truth in that. Only in the last 50-100 years have dogs been kept primarily as companion animals (pets to you and I). Previous to this they had a companionship role but their main function was as a working animal. Guarding/rounding up livestock, hunting, retrieving, and yes - fighting are just some of the many jobs performed by an amazingly versatile animal. Because many breeds have been bred to work long hours, dogs over most pets require a life of stimulation and activity to stop boredom and bad habits setting in - a fact forgotten by some owners.

Unfortunately the fighting pedigree (which exists, however much some would like to whitewash it out) appeals to young scumbags who see a dog as little more than a status symbol or some sort of weapon to brandish on the streets. This coupled with poor training and boredom is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sephichan

I just posted this in the other thread about this, but there are signs pointing to the fact that the snake did not kill the children. For one, the snake did not belong to the pet store, and it's tank was in the apartment building. The snake was also securely in the tank when the RCMP arrived, apparently one of the parents found it with the children and decided the best course of action was to unwrap it from the children, and put it back in it's tank. Honestly there is a huge fishy smell around the whole story after this got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cats since nearly ever one who has one seems to think its ok to allow them wander around freely off their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

How did a python strangle 2 children, and not try to eat any?

As for dogs. Dog popularity changes. There was a time it was boxers. And GS/alsations. And rotties. And huskies. And dobermans. And dalmations. And whatever else. Ban one type, then it changes to another. OR fúcktards ignore the ban, and get them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sephichan

As for dogs. Dog popularity changes. There was a time it was boxers. And GS/alsations. And rotties. And huskies. And dobermans. And dalmations. And whatever else. Ban one type, then it changes to another. OR fúcktards ignore the ban, and get them anyway.
    Because they are looking at it as a possible homicide now. The snake was found in a secure enclosure in the apartment, it is NOT from the pet store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Urban myth. I've heard this story a millionty times from different people. It's always a friend of a friend etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

That snake story seems odd. The snake just strangled them and didn't bother trying to eat them? Granted, I'm not an expert in exotic animals, but I would have thought that if it was going to kill them, it would have eaten them too? Surely it wouldn't kill them just for the sake of it?

And did it strangle them both at the same time? If not, how did one not wake up from the other one screaming? Weird.
    Sephichan wrote: »
    I just posted this in the other thread about this, but there are signs pointing to the fact that the snake did not kill the children. For one, the snake did not belong to the pet store, and it's tank was in the apartment building. The snake was also securely in the tank when the RCMP arrived, apparently one of the parents found it with the children and decided the best course of action was to unwrap it from the children, and put it back in it's tank. Honestly there is a huge fishy smell around the whole story after this got out.

I feckin' knew it! Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Teddy Dalton

no animal should be banned from being kept as a pet, it is wrong to punish the responsible majority of exotics owners for the actions of the irresponsible few, it's like banning all dogs so that there will be no more dog abuse. it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no animal should be banned from being kept as a pet, it is wrong to punish the responsible majority of exotics owners for the actions of the irresponsible few, it's like banning all dogs so that there will be no more dog abuse. it makes no sense.

so it's ok to keep tigers, hippos, blue whales etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Constrictor snakes freak me out more than most animals/reptiles etc.

One idea supposedly is that they smelled of farm animals from a trip earlier in the day and maybe then it backed off..

I do wonder how it got out of its enclosure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

And did it strangle them both at the same time? If not, how did one not wake up from the other one screaming? Weird.

You can't scream if you can't breath. Think of the pressure a snake can put on your neck.
    The theory behind it is the snake wrapped itself around te warmth of the two boys. And basically squeezed the life out of them .God help them.

Terrible and bizarre thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Archeron wrote: »
    Zombies. You think they're chained up safely in the garden behind the washing line full of bed sheets, but one lax moment and it's brain souffle.

Fido? Noooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

But you were saying it's the breed that made them not get on with other Dogs. It would be the same for every breed and even Humans. You isolate a person all their life from human contact then one day fill them with a room full of people, they would react similar. Defensive, Scared and maybe even violent.

If you selectively breed something for aggression, it will be aggressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics_of_aggression#Selective_breeding

Environment plays a role but genetics are a much more important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pit bull terriers or any other breed of dog specifically bred/evolved for fighting. I hate seeing young men walking about with them un-muzzled thinking that the hard look of the dog somehow portrays onto them.

Get off your damn horse and being led by the media...

Yes, you may be right about people using THESE dogs as a 'status' thing - but they're generally irresponsible owners to begin with.

ANY dog with an IRRESPONSIBLE OWNER can be a nuisance and potentially dangerous...

e.g. - There's a pair of Labradors down my road that are bloody vicious, AND have killed a neighbour's pet terrier. I've lost count of the amount of Jack Russels being a total nuisance, etc. ... On the other hand, I own a Staffy, and she's incredibly gentle and pretty playful. But I'm sure you'd probably remain adamant to this and still have certain breeds stigmatized ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's like guns really. Make them freely available to anybody that wants them and if anybody gets shot, it's the irresponsible owners firing them off in parks and housing estates around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All dogs are dangerous. They have teeth designed to tear flesh and break bone. Whether they're a 20 stone Irish wolfhound or a 2lb Chihuahua is kind of irrelevant.

From the perspective of thin-skinned soft meatbags like us, the differences in canine teeth layouts and bite strength between the breeds is cosmetic. They will all do serious damage if they want to.

I would ban basically basically animal sales apart from the few species who've been domesticated. Not for the protection of people but for the protection of the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Pit bull terriers or any other breed of dog specifically bred/evolved for fighting. I hate seeing young men walking about with them un-muzzled thinking that the hard look of the dog somehow portrays onto them.

Pit bulls are actually very sweet tempered animals -it's the fúck wits that train them to fight that should be gotten rid of. My cousin has a pit bull, well looked after and treated as a pet not a killing machine and it is one of the friendliest best natured dogs if ever known.
    In my life time i've had a doberman, a rothweiler, several alsations, my elderly parents currently own a rhodesian ridgeback - the thing is a pussy cat!
    It's people that make dogs vicous in 99% of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

I would not like to see a total ban. If people want to keep a non native animal they should have to go on a training coarse.

eg If you want to keep snakes.

You should receive training on how to keep snakes and there enclosure should be inspected. After passing the coarse and inspection, then like a dog licence, people should have to get a licence for an exotic animal. If you have 10 corn snakes you should just need one snake licence not 10. Just to keep things realistic. Finally all non native pets should be chipped except for fish and insects ( or any other animal that would not survive long in our country)

Well thats my 2 cents worth on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Different breeds of dogs are evolved for different purposes. Certain breeds are evolved to fight. It is not tabloid journalism re-hashed.

It just means they are more muscled, faster,... than other breeds.

The character is what is formed by the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No such thing as dangerous dogs, Stop reading tabloids. It's the shít owners that are to blame.

There are no such things as dangerous breeds do you mean? There are certainly dangerous dogs out there.

Advertisement