Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking snake story; what pets would you ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Pit bull terriers or any other breed of dog specifically bred/evolved for fighting. I hate seeing young men walking about with them un-muzzled thinking that the hard look of the dog somehow portrays onto them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Cats.

Not because they are dangerous or anything, I just don't particularly like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Any exotic animal that is kept in a cage for life. It's not right IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Pit bull terriers or any other breed of dog specifically bred/evolved for fighting. I hate seeing young men walking about with them un-muzzled thinking that the hard look of the dog somehow portrays onto them.

Stop reading tabloid newspapers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Totally agree with this. There are alot of men where I live with these dogs and half the time, some are unmuzzled and off the leash. So irresponsible.

I was watching the news on BBC last week and they were talking about the new laws which will come into place regarding ownership of these dogs. One of the interviewees was saying these dogs are seen as a status symbol among some men in particular social groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not sure about pets but I would exterminate armoured crickets from the face if the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Australians. Lethal with those boomerangs so they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Those dogs would have a better life if their owners were muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Used to work in a petshop before and a fella came in one day and told me a story about a snake he used to have. Apparently it stopped eating for ages wouldn't touch nothing and he was regularly waking up on the sofa or wherever and finding the snake lying lengthways beside him.

Turns out the snake was sizing him up to see if he could fit him in to him. Rough turned me off snakes big time

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

No such thing as dangerous dogs, Stop reading tabloids. It's the shít owners that are to blame.

• Advertisement

No such thing as dangerous dogs, Stop reading tabloids. It's the shít owners that are to blame.

Different breeds of dogs are evolved for different purposes. Certain breeds are evolved to fight. It is not tabloid journalism re-hashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

baraca wrote: »
    Used to work in a petshop before and a fella came in one day and told me a story about a snake he used to have. Apparently it stopped eating for ages wouldn't touch nothing and he was regularly waking up on the sofa or wherever and finding the snake lying lengthways beside him.

Turns out the snake was sizing him up to see if he could fit him in to him. Rough turned me off snakes big time

He told you that on the 1st of April didn't he??

Urban legend number 472

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Thats a total myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Have read similar stories before

*shiver*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

:confused:

Hardly, more like the idiots that own these dogs should be banned from owning them.

Quite a few breeds were bred for fighting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_fighting_breeds

Most people think that Staffies are Pit Bulls but can't tell the difference, its all hyped media bullcrap.

You have to be in control of any dog otherwise it can do damage even by accident.

IMO its the people that treat their dogs as some sort of protection or worse some sort of replacement baby that are the problem.

Dog is a Dog, treat it decently as a dog and it will act decently as a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There was a house for sale in Dublin with a python. The thing was so big that it had its own room and was too big to take out of a house.

I dont think people should exotic pets. Some of which are illegally poached endangered species, smuggled half way around the world. Just so someone can have a pet to look at and not play and are often are just left in a glass case.

Also over breed dogs should be banned. Alot of the dogs in Crufts have serious health issues from over breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If the ™owners are to blame™, then you are not denying that a lot of dangerous dogs exist, just why they do.

So as it's not against the law for these morons to get and mistrain powerful dogs, it's not tabloid hysteria to say that the problem exists.

And unfortunately the fact that the dogs are fine in the right hands has to be weighed up against the fact that there is nothing to stop many dogs being in the wrong hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Magnetics wrote: »
    Stop reading tabloid newspapers

I personally have met someone who had a particularly nasty bite to the top of his thigh after walking in the park when a pitbull attacked him. He was lucky that the dog failed to get a grip directly on his balls which was the dogs first attack attempt.

How about owners agree to take a shotgun to the nutsack if the dog attacks anyone which would result in the damage that a pitball is more than capable of inflicting. This guy was very lucky he didn't lose his junk in this attack.

Treating a dog decently means nothing. I know a guy who had pitbulls and one of his bitches was nice as pie to people but it used to kill birds and fight with another female he had. Eventually came home and it had ripped the other to pieces.

Large animals with sharp teeth, particularly that eat meat, are dangerous.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    If the ™owners are to blame™, then you are not denying that a lot of dangerous dogs exist, just why they do.

Poodles can be dangerous, they have teeth don't they? Anything can be dangerous, Moronic people who don't look after the animals are the problem, not the dogs.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Treating a dog decently means nothing.

Large animals with sharp teeth, particularly that eat meat, are dangerous.

You've obviously never owned a dog. This thread depresses me. Also it's obvious your friend never trained the Dog properly if it didn't get on with other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Zombies. You think they're chained up safely in the garden behind the washing line full of bed sheets, but one lax moment and it's brain souffle.

:confused:

Hardly, more like the idiots that own these dogs should be banned from owning them.

Quite a few breeds were bred for fighting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_fighting_breeds

Most people think that Staffies are Pit Bulls but can't tell the difference, its all hyped media bullcrap.

You have to be in control of any dog otherwise it can do damage even by accident.

IMO its the people that treat their dogs as some sort of protection or worse some sort of replacement baby that are the problem.

Dog is a Dog, treat it decently as a dog and it will act decently as a dog.

Trust me, I know a staffie from a pit bull. I do agree that a huge portion of blame is down to owners. I work with a lot of seriously disadvantaged boys/yoing men who think that these type of dogs are a weapon or a status symbol and spend lots of time discussing who has the hardest dog. Unless the dogs are outflright banned you are looking at an ownership test which would be massively unwieldy for any community/dog warden. Just my tuppenceworth. By the way I am a dog lover, I have three. On my farm I would not keep a bull who displayed signs of aggression so why should dogs who are equally as dangerous be kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

It appears that this tale may be an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hfallada wrote: »
    There was a house for sale in Dublin with a python. The thing was so big that it had its own room and was too big to take out of a house.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'd ban the moron who owns the pet shop from being able to deal in such animals.
    I'd set planning and city accordance to not have exotic petshops in the same building as residential units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Poodles can be dangerous, they have teeth don't they? Anything can be dangerous, Moronic people who don't look after the animals are the problem, not the dogs.

You're ignoring the point.

Unless you stop people turning the dogs into dangerous animals, the problem of dangerous digs is s real one.

The weird logic on this one is like motoring forum types thinking speed restrictions shouldn't exist because they themselves consider themselves to be expert drivers .

I'm not a dog hater at all but it's pointless to pretend the issue doesn't exist.

You've obviously never owned a dog. This thread depresses me. Also it's obvious your friend never trained the Dog properly if it didn't get on with other dogs.

I've had 2 pet dogs. Why do think I haven't?

Train it in what way? It wasnt a puppy and he had the dog about a month. Most domestic breeds of dog wont literally rip another one apart, trained or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm a responsible Bengal Tiger owner, it's all the irresponsible owners that give tigers a bad name.

Advertisement