Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick in the 60s and 70's

Options
  • 06-08-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a link to a series of photo's on flickr taken in Limerick over a period os about 10 years.

These are not mine, just got an email with the link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That bus is going the wrong way (past roches stores) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Can somebody locate this picture for me. I thought it was looking onto O'Connell Avenue but unsure.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/quirke/Pic_zps54f6757e.png

Sorry it reverts to the default #1 picture which is not what I meant so try this image instead:

Pic_zps54f6757e.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its overlooking St Johns Square,Cathedral Place, Brennans row and Lr Gerald Griffin St I think BB.
    Johns square pre initial renovation on the right, Kingdom hall of the J.Ws at right centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sorry it reverts to the default #1 picture which is not what I meant so try this image instead:

Taken for the Cathedral ( I think) back of St John'S Sq, rear of what was Mr Binmans.

Edited to add, if you click on the photo in the link I provided, the location appears on the top right corner. Hope I didn't destroy all your guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a few of the docks but one in particular has a load of ships in there, goes to show how important the docks was to Limerick at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

banie01 wrote: »
    Its overlooking St Johns Square,Cathedral Place, Brennans row and Lr Gerald Griffin St I think BB.
    Johns square pre initial renovation on the right, Kingdom hall of the J.Ws at right centre.

You are right there - you can see the Jehovahs hall there in the right of the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

One can see a lot in that photo, like the former Keanes Bakery (yellow walled factory), the Trade Electric below it is still there, the Gaeltacht Dry Cleaners below it again is gone, the former City Dispensary (Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses) is where you got your polio vaccination in the 60's.

Christ they nearly lost half of John's Square to dereliction back then. The buildings where Dr Griffin, Mr. Bin Man and Dr. Scanlan are today had no roofs. I think the Corporation just caught them in time.

The houses on Brennans Row were on their last legs (incidently my great-great-grandparents reared their family there in the 1870s). Would love to see an up to date photo from the same vantage point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Fantastic shots, just spotted the gallery on Facebook and was going to post it here.

City Center looked far busier back then than it does now. :P The picture overlooking Sarsfield Bridge and Arthurs quay is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Can you post the link? I can't find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Been sitting here with my Dad looking at the photos.

He is going through them with a fine tooth comb :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but would anyone have a picture of the pub "The Hogan Stand"? It used to be part of the complex that is now Arthurs Quay. A relation of mine owned it, I've never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I never knew they played soccer in the old dog track. Who was using it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I never knew they played soccer in the old dog track. Who was using it?

The Markets Field was once the home of Limerick FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

The hogan stand was on Patrick Street? Grew up beside it.

These pics bring back some memories.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

5646838456_ffec64cbc2_o.jpg

Not only did Limerick FC play there, the Market's Field was a true sports venue.

The GAA started to play there in 1888.

Munster played the All Blacks there in 1906 and it was also the home for the then local Garryowen rugby team before they absconded to Dooradoyle in the 1960's.

The rugby goal posts can be clearly seen in the photo below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I could look at old photos all day, love the night shot one of the docks before redevelopment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This city needs a museum and gallery dedicated just to itself.

Imagine if someone could co-ordinate an exhibition of the best of
    "Limerick: A Stroll Down Memory Lane"; The Old Limerick Journal; Limerick's Life; the Leader/Chronicle archives; the Gerry Andrews photographs; the Milk Market; the Hunt Museum; the LCGA; the castle; the Kemmy Museum; the Granary; Lissanalta House; UL, LIT, Mary I; the churches and cathedrals; the schools; the soccer/rugby/GAA/athletics/rowing clubs; Scouts and Guides lodges; parish newsletters; websites; event posters; pubs; hotels...

*dreams*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I never knew bit boats used to be docked along Clancy's strand!.....these shots look sooo alien!, like another city. I barely recognise anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

This city needs a museum and gallery dedicated just to itself.

Imagine if someone could co-ordinate an exhibition of the best of
    "Limerick: A Stroll Down Memory Lane"; The Old Limerick Journal; Limerick's Life; the Leader/Chronicle archives; the Gerry Andrews photographs; the Milk Market; the Hunt Museum; the LCGA; the castle; the Kemmy Museum; the Granary; Lissanalta House; UL, LIT, Mary I; the churches and cathedrals; the schools; the soccer/rugby/GAA/athletics/rowing clubs; Scouts and Guides lodges; parish newsletters; websites; event posters; pubs; hotels...

*dreams*
    Brillant idea- muppets in City Council take note!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

bawn79 wrote: »
    Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but would anyone have a picture of the pub "The Hogan Stand"? It used to be part of the complex that is now Arthurs Quay. A relation of mine owned it, I've never seen it.

Have a look at this link there are a few pictures of pubs on Patrick street.

http://www.memorylanelimerick.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

phog wrote: »
    There's a few of the docks but one in particular has a load of ships in there, goes to show how important the docks was to Limerick at the time.

Indeed there was a lot of work there at one point. Ironically the docks probably handles more tonnage each day today then in the 60's and 70's, except the ships and cranes are much bigger, so loading and unloading is much more efficient, and stuff like oil is just pumped straight to tanks, so very little labour content at all.

Does anybody have any pictures or links to pictures of Upper Gerald Griffin Street?

Around the Rashers Pub area.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Have a look at this link there are a few pictures of pubs on Patrick street.

http://www.memorylanelimerick.com/

This site seems to be down, anyone know if it is gone or if the pictures are elsewhere. Was showing my parents it and it was gone unfortunately.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

super, I'll show these to the kids, they still think i'm joking about black and white tv

super, I'll show these to the kids, they still think i'm joking about black and white tv

Show them a phone box, if you can find one, it will blow their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I remember Mac's shop,never went in there, but passed by it many,many times. Long gone sadly.

Advertisement