Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick in the 60s and 70's

Options
2»

Comments

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Show them a phone box, if you can find one, it will blow their minds.

I stayed in the pier last night (got a deal cheaper than the fuel cost to NCW and back) and my room window was facing the old dunnes and they have a phone box outside it. I was actually stumped to see it. Couldn't stop looking at it. Must be one of very few left in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some more old photos of Limerick. Not mine, shared them here before but here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

fantastic pics,,would anyone have pics of the todds christmas window,boyds,newsoms,bolgers,powers small profit stores etc,, thanks op you should put up an email address or contact and get some more,loads of interest in these pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know the date this was taken and the area it was taken in? Its up for discussion in my family and I reckon its the north circular road area

1781765_686965991370432_60541574_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't think it's the NCR area because the Condell Road isn't right and the area of the river across from it would be a lot more built up than that.

• Advertisement

Yeah we couldnt figure out because the pier is there and also the oil tanks are pretty close which would give it a good fit however like you said the condell road isnt right or even possibly built yet. Plus there seems to be a river in the top center. Mightnt even be Limerick, but got it from a Limerick photographer's page

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

It is the NCR - Image is flipped.

Villiers School hockey pitch with Barrington's Pier in the background.

You sure? The other side of the river should be more developed though if it is! And there's that river in the top center

Yep!

Load the picture into MS Paint and "Flip Horizontal".

Taken in the late 80's is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is the river in the Background the Ballynaclough?
    The river the Dock Road is bridged over near Dennehy's?
    If I remember correctly that was drained/diverted during the construction/expansion of the industrial parks out that way

• Advertisement

I dont recall there being a river where that one in the top center of the picture is though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont recall there being a river where that one in the top center of the picture is though

As a Bluedrax said the image is flipped, so the river that you don't recall is actually to the right of Barringtons pier in the corrected view.
    There are fairly extensive wetlands on the South Bank of the Shannon and a lot of land was reclaimed and altered between the mid 80's and now which would alter the layout of the water features somewhat.

I'm fairly sure it is the Ballynaclough river, anyone using the Dock Road would drive over it, it is bridged between Mike O'Dwyer Motors and the Dock Rd business park.
    I've attached a link to the Ordnance Survey Ireland map of the approximate location.
    If you flip the image, both the river and the inlets on the left side of the uncorrected image are shown on the map

Still not convinced lads :D Even if you flip it, the tanks appear to the right and the river in the photo to the left of the pier, which it should be going by the osi map to the left of the pier and the tanks more or less directly across.

Will this help?

Flipped image:
    NSR-flipped.JPG

Google Earth image:
    NSR-Google.JPG

Was asking for that wasnt i!

Looking at the flipped image, how do they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Given that the Condell Road is there, it has to be at least the late 80s/early 90s

Advertisement